News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Converting a US or Japanese SNES ROM to PAL  (Read 4407 times)

canso rouen

• View Profile
Converting a US or Japanese SNES ROM to PAL
« on: September 26, 2014, 05:38:30 am »
Hi all, sorry to just register and start a new topic but I've got a question and I can't find any info anywhere.

I'm from the UK and there are tonnes of games which never came out here. I've got a flash cartridge thing for my SNES, but the machine itself is a UK PAL region model.

When I boot US NTSC games I get extremely mixed results. Sometimes the rom boots fine, sometimes it won't. Sometimes they run ok and sometimes they have graphical glitches. Earthbound gives a specific message that the region of the machine is wrong.

I'm guessing that this is due to the region of the console, as literally every PAL rom I've tried plays flawlessly.

Now, I know I could get a US or Japanese SNES but that's not an immediate solution. When SNES games were released here they were forced to 50hz and had black borders added to the top and bottom (due to PAL screens having 576 lines as opposed to NTSC screens which have 480). My question is, is there any way to force this PAL mode on NTSC Roms? There's no option on the cart, so could I convert the ROM?

I'm guessing there's no info on this because nobody has ever wanted to do it, but I was just wondering. Even better, is there any way to boot a US SNES rom in full screen at 60hz but make the SNES think it's a PAL cart?

henke37

• View Profile
Re: Converting a US or Japanese SNES ROM to PAL
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 05:44:11 am »
Games are not required to support the different hardware setup. In particular, some games are very dependent on the timing. They tightly tie their physics to the refresh rate.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 06:19:27 am »
What henke37 said, there are mods you can do to your SNES though that change the region ( http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/snes-5060hz-switch-with-lockout-switch/ ), I have had easier mods to do but that one does not look so bad.

It is theoretically possible to convert a ROM's region (though no simple header/software tricks) but it would be a nightmare for not a lot of gain when there are emulators, region switches and the general ability to import.

bailli

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 08:57:33 am »
If you consider a hardware mod, I would like to suggest the "SuperCIC".

This is only one tutorial: http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/snes-switchless-modchip/
There are also some alternative (and sometimes IMHO easier) soldering points available. You might have to search around a bit (or ask in a "hardware modding forum").

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 11:31:58 am »
I don't know if anyone's made a PAL patch for EarthBound but attempting to hack it will cause the game's somewhat-infamous copy-protection to activate, I believe.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 10:51:00 pm »
50hz or 60hz is set in hardware. Can't be changed from the cartridge slot (that I know of).

It's separate from lockout.
A toggle switch for 60hz will help NTSC roms, but genuine games won't play.