News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Version 1.21  (Read 197355 times)

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Released: 1/14/2017
« Reply #1040 on: February 09, 2017, 10:48:17 pm »
Except "you" didn't write a book.
"You" re-edited a book that didn't belong to "you" in the first place.
So until rom hacking is unequivocally legal, let he who is without sin cast the first cyber-stone.

You're missing the point. It's partly about attribution, and it's partly about money. I still dump hundreds of hours into each translation effort, and as a sign of respect to the people who "wrote the book" in the first place, 1) they're credited on each and every one of my project pages, 2) I provide an optional update to the game in question, and 3) I don't charge a single penny for my work. Repro makers, on the other hand, spend a comparative pittance of an effort to put together bootleg cartridges, then make a profit off of an enterprise that would not exist without my and other romhackers' work, usually without any indication of where the game came from in the first place. It's insulting and the comparison isn't even close to apt.

To clarify a point before it even comes up, I don't even *want* to sell any of my work unless it's through completely legal channels, and believe me, that's harder than it sounds. I've tried. I don't want anyone else making any money on it either. That's where the chief insult comes from.

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: February 09, 2017, 11:46:44 pm »
Update 1.20 is now moving into the initial testing phase, if all goes well with the new ASM modifications and various other updates we'll be moving into music integration followed by our final release.  Version 1.20 will be the final version of the game.  Future updates (if any) will be limited to major bug fixes (though we don't anticipate any).  Usually once we reach this stage we're a day or two from passing the ROM for music integration and about a week from completion (additional testing required after music integration).

thedarkbanshee

• View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: February 11, 2017, 04:10:24 am »
This looks amazing. I will try it out and give feedback.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: February 12, 2017, 12:41:44 am »
So until rom hacking is unequivocally legal, let he who is without sin cast the first cyber-stone.

You've missed something very important. This kind of thing has already been ruled on by several courts and is perfectly legal. Nintendo doesn't have to like it, but almost everywhere in the world hacking and modding is legal, so they have no choice but to tolerate it.

As for the media coverage...
I think time may be of the essence now if the take down of AM2R is any indication of Nintendo's legal department's temperament of late.

Again, Nintendo can not do that for projects like this. Grimlock, Snarfblam and crew can[and very likely will] safely ignore any C&D Nintendo may send them. With AMR2, the whole project was a completely new work that included Nintendo owned IP. Projects like this are different in the regards that these folks are modding, rearranging and inserting content into an existing work[which has been ruled the world over as lawful].

But I digress, we're getting off topic a bit..

Tater Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: February 12, 2017, 10:49:19 am »
Again, Nintendo can not do that for projects like this. Grimlock, Snarfblam and crew can[and very likely will] safely ignore any C&D Nintendo may send them. With AMR2, the whole project was a completely new work that included Nintendo owned IP. Projects like this are different in the regards that these folks are modding, rearranging and inserting content into an existing work[which has been ruled the world over as lawful].

But I digress, we're getting off topic a bit..

Wrong. In the U.S., you can still get sued and taken to court regardless of how frivolous the case is. Going to court and hiring a lawyer is expensive. Nintendo's lawyers know that most people will capitulate rather than go to court, due to them not being able to afford it.

Ballz

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • party time excellent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: February 12, 2017, 02:27:49 pm »
I've seen this conversation go on for about 20 years and to date, I can think of only one time a rom hack was allegedly shut down by a Nintendo C&D, and that was for Pokemon Prism.  And in that case I'm not 100% convinced it was legit, as the rom hack was "leaked" anyways with no repercussions.

This page compiles a good number of projects C&D'd by the Big N.  Note that not a single project listed is a rom hack.

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
« Reply #1046 on: February 12, 2017, 03:39:12 pm »
Yeah, C&D notices for ROM hacks are rather rare. Seen a few ROM hack links and videos get taken down by DMCA notices (most recent were a few downloads for Mario 64: Last Impact), but never a C&D for these projects.

Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

Mari42

• View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: February 12, 2017, 03:51:50 pm »
At least "Big N" didn't give DMCA notice, or C&D in this project but totally ignoring it, because he owns the Metriod franchise, and not supporting his fans. SMH.  >:(

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: February 13, 2017, 12:55:17 am »
Update 1.20 is now moving into the initial testing phase, if all goes well with the new ASM modifications and various other updates we'll be moving into music integration followed by our final release.  Version 1.20 will be the final version of the game.  Future updates (if any) will be limited to major bug fixes (though we don't anticipate any).  Usually once we reach this stage we're a day or two from passing the ROM for music integration and about a week from completion (additional testing required after music integration).

Awesome. I got through about 2/3rds of the current release. Outstanding work so far.

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: February 14, 2017, 09:58:41 am »
I've seen this conversation go on for about 20 years and to date, I can think of only one time a rom hack was allegedly shut down by a Nintendo C&D, and that was for Pokemon Prism.  And in that case I'm not 100% convinced it was legit, as the rom hack was "leaked" anyways with no repercussions.

When I read the C&D letter, it sounded like they were under the impression that Prism was a game, and not a hack.

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: February 14, 2017, 11:37:10 am »

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm looking forward to this.
On a side note, when I look at myriad of new features and adjustements you plan to add to this 1.20, it almost feels like a Remastered Edition! :crazy:

I wish you very good luck!
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

ElusivSanity

• View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: February 19, 2017, 02:45:27 pm »
@Grimlock

Any info you can share on how v1.20 is coming along?  Looking forward to another playthrough but waiting to see new version

Thanks again to the team and do take all the time you need.
-Cheers!

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: February 20, 2017, 01:55:20 am »
@Grimlock

Any info you can share on how v1.20 is coming along?  Looking forward to another playthrough but waiting to see new version

Thanks again to the team and do take all the time you need.
-Cheers!

I had a pretty busy week so we're just now wrapping up some last minute additions and changes.  I need to do one final test run (tomorrow) before we can add the music in one last time.

This update is going to be pretty substantial!  Every area has been worked on and further refined.  New passageways both common and secret have been added.  Additional Easter eggs, shortcuts, sequence breaks designed into the game, missile recharging, puzzle modifications, graphics touch ups, a whole new second mission sprite set, a new "environmental suit" sprite in hazardous areas.  A reworked map that eliminates some of the confusion experienced by some in a few areas.  Bug corrections, and more!   :thumbsup:

This update will add a lot of replay value to the game.  There's essentially a whole new layer of hidden/secret passageways built into the game now.  New ways to get items, through both legitimate means and utilizing known game engine exploits.   8)

If all goes well we should see a release pretty soon, I think I'm done adding content to the level design.  I just need to test one last time to verify a few changes.

altoiddealer

• View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: February 20, 2017, 04:10:34 pm »
Hope to see this hack get front page featured after 1.20 is released  :angel:

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: February 20, 2017, 05:51:03 pm »
I had a pretty busy week so we're just now wrapping up some last minute additions and changes.  I need to do one final test run (tomorrow) before we can add the music in one last time.

This update is going to be pretty substantial!  Every area has been worked on and further refined.  New passageways both common and secret have been added.  Additional Easter eggs, shortcuts, sequence breaks designed into the game, missile recharging, puzzle modifications, graphics touch ups, a whole new second mission sprite set, a new "environmental suit" sprite in hazardous areas.  A reworked map that eliminates some of the confusion experienced by some in a few areas.  Bug corrections, and more!   :thumbsup:

This update will add a lot of replay value to the game.  There's essentially a whole new layer of hidden/secret passageways built into the game now.  New ways to get items, through both legitimate means and utilizing known game engine exploits.   8)

If all goes well we should see a release pretty soon, I think I'm done adding content to the level design.  I just need to test one last time to verify a few changes.

So you're saying it's going to be even more epic?

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: February 21, 2017, 02:04:19 am »
So you're saying it's going to be even more epic?

That's the goal!   :thumbsup:

sonny

• View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: February 21, 2017, 10:24:44 am »
This Sprite Set is referring about only the Player's sprite, or some areas as well?

ElusivSanity

• View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: February 21, 2017, 05:13:22 pm »
@Grimlock,Snarfblam

Will the 2nd play through be harder in any way?  Like more map blank spots, or harder/different puzzles? (I don't know if this is even a possibility.). Be a cool way to increase enjoyment for both new and adept metroid players, having an easier and harder player through.  And of course increases replay value.

-Cheers!

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: February 23, 2017, 10:59:17 pm »
@Grimlock,Snarfblam

Will the 2nd play through be harder in any way?  Like more map blank spots, or harder/different puzzles? (I don't know if this is even a possibility.). Be a cool way to increase enjoyment for both new and adept metroid players, having an easier and harder player through.  And of course increases replay value.

-Cheers!

The second play through will basically be a fresh start.  You start out with a few upgrades; wave beam and spring ball (nonessential but fun upgrades).  The main player sprite is new as well as all of the enemies.  The player palette is adjusted as well.  The difficulty will be the same except you will start out with an advantage since you have the wave beam and spring ball.  I opted not to give more than that because with the new 1.20 version there are means to acquire additional upgrades much faster than the first play through.  Any info beyond that would be a spoiler. 

1.20 Update:

We worked out the final issue holding us back from handing the update off to Optomon for music integration.  One final play through is all that is required.   :)

Woodman

• View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: February 25, 2017, 12:00:25 pm »
Wow, this is pretty incredible. It has the mood and the exploration of the original game minus all of the confusingly identical rooms and similar layout that turned me away from the original. Amazing work.