News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Version 1.21  (Read 167884 times)

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Released: 1/14/2017
« Reply #1000 on: January 24, 2017, 05:02:39 pm »
About the second mission addition with Samus, will it work even if I started a second playthrough as Dawn because I last saved back at the ship after going through the SMB easter egg area and I have all my upgrades from the first playthrough?
It would most likely require completing the game with version 1.20.

Didn't encounter that bug. @Snarf; Is this emulator specific? Or am I just lucky?
It's an uncommon bug caused by uninitialized RAM. Likelihood of it occurring depends on emulator, but doesn't seem to be an issue on most. Possible for it to happen on actual hardware depending on the initial state of memory.

It seems very likely to be an issue with the PowerPak itself.
We also don't know if he patched correct rom or not. So it also can be just his rom issue

That sort of VRAM corruption is not likely to be the fault of the PowerPak, so I'd hate to bother BunnyBoy, even though he's been helpful in the past. It's possible the wrong ROM was patched; it's possible it's an uninitialized memory bug. More info would be helpful in understanding what's happening (ideally, name and version of the emu or flash cart and a copy of the SAV file).

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: January 24, 2017, 05:15:23 pm »
You'd need to contact MegaUltraJMan, Snarfblam. https://www.twitch.tv/megaultrajman I don't play on an NES, I play on Nestopia. Unfortunately, I didn't come across the error, I just reported it for him. He did say it was OK for you guys to contact him though, if my memory serves me right.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

The Rooser

• View Profile
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - \\\"Metroid - Rogue Dawn\\\" - Released: 1/14/2017
« Reply #1002 on: January 24, 2017, 06:00:27 pm »
If you're really pushing for a last update I might as well report: I encountered a bug in the now-infamous bug hive warping puzzle area where I scrolled back up into a screen that didn't line up correctly. I'll try to recreate it unless somebody already reported it. (I'm playing on v 1.0 so maybe you already got it and/or maybe your fix to that area incidentally fixes it)

Edit 1:
Here:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Edit 2:
It felt more egregious the first time I encountered it; maybe I got myself into more trouble from there but that's the entry point into trouble.

Edit 3:
You get in this spot by going down from the rightmost bughole.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 06:18:21 pm by The Rooser »

Googie

• eeee!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #1003 on: January 24, 2017, 11:23:56 pm »
Once I get my PC outta storage this'll be the hack I'll play  :D
The ROM Hacking community's cartoonist...

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: January 25, 2017, 02:01:48 pm »
I noticed some neat references in the music department, So I thought I would share them.

I may be wrong about these assumptions but I don't think my ears are playing tricks on me.  :crazy:

The Opening Song has the style of The Red Swampy Area of Brinstar from Super Metroid.

Dawn's Ship Main Theme has the style of Lower Norfair from Super Metroid.

First Area sounds like Mt. Itoi from Mother (That is probably just my ears.)
However also sounds like Lower Norfair again from Super Metroid.

Underwater Area has the piano segment from Red Swampy Area of Brinstar from Super Metroid.

Rainy Area sounds like the final hive from Metroid II.

The Federation Ship I swear sounds like the style from Mega Man.

Second Boss Battle has the Lower Norfair sound.

The Area Before The Metroid's Area of course is basically a remix of Lower Norfair from Super Metroid.

That's It,

I am sure most of the music from Lower Norfair was done because this is a Space Pirate Game run by Ridley afterall.

:thumbsup:

Hacking Nes Roms Is Like Making Sweet Passionate Love, Hacking Snes Roms Is Like Having Your Bitchy Mother In Law Scream At You.

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: January 25, 2017, 04:38:32 pm »
Spoiling all the spoilery stuff aren't y'all... :D

I just played it a bit on my Wii with Homebrew Channel installed...

On a CRT. :D I think...I dunno what this is. This is weird. I can't find anything. I don't know where I'm going. I guess I'll just go to the other planetary access lift? Or is there another way off the ship...

Exploring alien worlds...

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: January 25, 2017, 05:12:35 pm »

Lower Norfair.

:thumbsup:

The ship boss battle was the only song I intended to sound like Lower Norfair. The main surface and boneyard themes reference the motif in Crateria's main theme, just transposed to a different key. The Fed ship theme is influenced from Megaman 2 music, I tried to immitate that high pitched solo in bubble man. Everything else is hopefully you imagining things or a subconscious influence, other wise I'm ripping off a lot of existing work.

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: January 26, 2017, 11:29:48 am »
Samus in Rogue Dawn (work in progress):

New graphic for our "reverse Justin Bailey" second play through.
(Version 1.20 update)

Updated a bit:

Just about all the graphics are complete, I just have a few more Samus frames to produce.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 02:06:56 pm by Grimlock »
Rogue Dawn official release date set: Saturday 1/14/2017

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: January 29, 2017, 07:44:33 am »

V1.10
 :D

edit: can you also port Rogue Dawn features to original metroid?

Spoiler:
It would be so nice to have 3 missiles on screen at the same time, shooting by taping and not holding, wall jump, better bombs, spring ball, wavy ice beam (wave beam use ice beam palette). Not necessary to find those upgrades. Like you just start with wall jump and after collecting maru ball you have spring ball. That would be so cool!  :P
Please. Can't play original metroid after RD  ::)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 02:50:11 am by chikadubi »

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: January 30, 2017, 03:39:24 am »
Spoiler:
V1.10
 :D

edit: can you also port Rogue Dawn features to original metroid?

Spoiler:
It would be so nice to have 3 missiles on screen at the same time, shooting by taping and not holding, wall jump, better bombs, spring ball, wavy ice beam (wave beam use ice beam palette). Not necessary to find those upgrades. Like you just start with wall jump and after collecting maru ball you have spring ball. That would be so cool!  :P
Please. Can't play original metroid after RD  ::)

Nice time!  There's definitely some competition in getting it as low as possible!

New Graphics for 1.20!

I'm considering adding a player sprite change on the surface and water area to an environmental suit:

Rogue Dawn official release date set: Saturday 1/14/2017

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: January 30, 2017, 03:53:50 am »
Nice time!  There's definitely some competition in getting it as low as possible!
I'm really sorry. I say it's impossible for humans get this time. This done with tools for route demonstration for tasvideos. It insanely hard to skip hi jump boots. So for humans the fastest perfect time would be same + time that they loose for getting hi jump boots.
And it uses glitches. If you save in the room where boss that requires rockets, then game thinks so that boss is beaten. You have to save, if you use continue boss will chase you trough the game :DD Don't know if this glitch was submitted.
I'm considering adding a player sprite change on the surface and water area to an environmental suit:
That's awesome. Always wondering how she breath underwater  :)

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 04:11:26 am by chikadubi »

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #1011 on: January 30, 2017, 04:26:30 am »
New Graphics for 1.20!

Super fantastic!
Please please please, add it right away to the final 1.20 version.
Awesome idea!

Cospefogo.
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: January 30, 2017, 01:38:22 pm »
Hell yeah! Add it in. It'll only make the game better.

Turambar

• View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: January 30, 2017, 06:11:36 pm »
Something I would like to see:
Spoiler:
Holding jump with Spring Ball makes you repeatedly jump like in Super Metroid.

8-bitBishop

• View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: January 30, 2017, 11:30:34 pm »
Hey Grimlock, I have a bug to report. I found a streamer who was routing Rogue Dawn for a speedrun, and he's on a real NES via a PowerPak I believe? He says the ending crashes for him, and the save screen is all screwed up.

https://www.twitch.tv/megaultrajman This is his Twitch if you wanna contact him. He's been up for 9 hours and said himself he may not remember to send in a report. He says he's gonna make a highlight of his stream as well, of the bugs he's found. I'm gonna post a screencap of his messed up save screen once I can see it again.

Edit -

Exact same thing happened to me while playing on the PowerPak. It happened right after getting the E-Tank in the secret level. Also, the game froze right when I beat it....so I missed out on seeing the ending. Very excited for 1.20. I'm gonna make myself a physical cart for that one.

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: January 31, 2017, 04:57:01 pm »
Wanna say it again. Please, port some of features to original metroid. At least having 3 missiles on screen at the same time. Original metroid really annoying. Snarfblam, please. :'(

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #1016 on: January 31, 2017, 05:05:27 pm »
Also, the game froze right when I beat it....

Sorry to hear that. It's an uninitialized RAM bug that seems to crop up mostly on flash carts (most emus probably initialize RAM to zero). Luckily it's been sorted out.

If you still have the SRAM from the bugged menu that would help sort out what's going on there. It's likely a similar issue.

Wanna say it again. Please, port some of features to original metroid. At least having 3 missiles on screen at the same time. Original metroid really annoying. Snarfblam, please. :'(

I'm hoping I can put together some kind of system for Editroid that lets users drop in ASM (ideally without ever needing to manually muck around in code) to add these features to a hack (or to the original game if you don't change anything else).

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: February 02, 2017, 08:23:30 am »
0_0 Uh you guys came up on my facebook trends today

:-[ This is very strange and kind of uncomfortable...RHDN is facebook news as of now?

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
« Reply #1018 on: February 02, 2017, 05:57:37 pm »
0_0 Uh you guys came up on my facebook trends today

:-[ This is very strange and kind of uncomfortable...RHDN is facebook news as of now?

Yeah, the media coverage might be a problem here:

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/02/01/fans-create-metroid-prequel-game-metroid-rogue-dawn/

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/metroid/261900/metroid-rogue-dawn-is-a-fan-made-franchise-prequel

http://kotaku.com/full-metroid-prequel-created-by-fans-1791843895

(along with many, many other articles and popular Reddit submissions for it).

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised ROM Hacking.net's version has only been downloaded 15,000 times so far. Where the hell are all these other site visitors getting the game?
Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: February 02, 2017, 07:35:44 pm »
Yeah, the media coverage might be a problem here:

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised ROM Hacking.net's version has only been downloaded 15,000 times so far. Where the hell are all these other site visitors getting the game?

There was a deal that came up on my Facebook saying 'Metroid' and got giddy with excitement as I thought it was a new Metroid game announcement.  When I clicked on it, tons of stuff came up about Rogue Dawn.  Pages upon pages of nothing but Rogue Dawn.  Tons of positive stuff though I saw a few 'Nentehndo'h blah blah blah in 3, 2..." stuff as well.

My guess is that people take the IPS, insert it into a ROM and upload it in full someplace that has stuff listed and from there spreads like wildfire from their download section.  Sadly its only just a matter of time in seeing someone  sell a cartridge of it either on ebay or elsewhere without consent...

Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse Community Wiki Thread
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=21344.0

Discord: Sinis#4332