News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Version 1.21  (Read 174818 times)

Blasteroid

• View Profile
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Released: 1/14/2017
« Reply #980 on: January 20, 2017, 02:05:50 am »
been playing this hack the last few days and so far i am enjoying it. great job on all fronts.

2 quick "comments":
jumping is a bit sloppy, there is no rhyme or reason as to why she spins or doesn't spin. sometimes you hold in one direction and she spins (making the next platform more difficult to time) and sometimes she just jumps normally. in a platformer where platforming is a great deal of the gameplay, it would be nice to see jumping made a little tighter.

power-ups/weapons aren't labeled in any way. some are obvious what they do as soon as you get them but others are not so obvious. these should all be detailed somewhere in the readme or in game "you just obtained "whatever" and it does "this".

cheers!

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #981 on: January 20, 2017, 02:24:21 am »
jumping is a bit sloppy, there is no rhyme or reason as to why she spins or doesn't spin. sometimes you hold in one direction and she spins (making the next platform more difficult to time) and sometimes she just jumps normally. in a platformer where platforming is a great deal of the gameplay, it would be nice to see jumping made a little tighter.
If you hold forward before you press jump - she spins. If you jump and then press d-pad - she jumps normally. Classic metroid mechanic. In RD it works exactly the same as in original metroid.

edit: i think what actually was overlooked is jumping underwater. I'm pretty sure normal jump wasn't get slowed by accident. So if you jump normally underwater you can jump extremely far. I understand this only in December. So if it is overlooked - sorry for not reporting it :C
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 02:34:13 am by chikadubi »

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #982 on: January 20, 2017, 03:59:45 am »
If you hold forward before you press jump - she spins. If you jump and then press d-pad - she jumps normally. Classic metroid mechanic. In RD it works exactly the same as in original metroid.

Good explanation, Chika.
Yes, this is how jumping works.
Regarding Metroid mechanics, everything is just perfect with it.
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: January 21, 2017, 07:42:28 am »
Update 1.20 is getting close.  I've been actively reworking the trouble spots in the level design.  I've been listening carefully to all the feedback and weighing my original intentions against the experiences of actual players to see if the intended result was achieved. 

Highlights:

Some trouble spots were brought to light in a few locations including the bug hive and the scrolling lava pit puzzle in the area adjacent to the final area.  Those have been reworked to eliminate the confusion. 

Other level design changes include removing some of the one way passages that drop you back a few screens and just make you have to work your way back.  It created an unexpected maze like feel to certain areas and unintended confusion. 

Some needlessly difficult spots have been toned down a bit including eliminating the long fall drop shafts in the final area.  The final area has been looked over to improve playability.

Some platforms have been reworked where slopes at key jump locations were making jumping difficult.  Other changes to improve navigating in tight spots have been made.

An alternate route to the Science Ship boss has been added.  The original route remains and is now more of a shortcut.  The new route is more intuitive.  The Science Ship is going to be fully mapped now as well.

New hidden features have been added.  Additional shortcuts and alternate routes have been added.  I was impressed by some of the exploits I saw in some of the YouTube videos I watched so I accommodated them in a few spots.  It's possible to break the sequence of item acquisition.  I'm interested to see who can figure out how to do it first  :)

Snarfblam is working on making the starting health always 99 rather than 30.  Also all heal stations will replenish missiles as well.  :thumbsup:

Lots of other improvements that will be listed in the change log!

Panthalassa

• View Profile
« Reply #984 on: January 21, 2017, 08:20:18 am »
Thank you very much !!! (: 

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #985 on: January 21, 2017, 09:35:33 am »
I was impressed by some of the exploits I saw in some of the YouTube videos I watched so I accommodated them in a few spots.  It's possible to break the sequence of item acquisition.  I'm interested to see who can figure out how to do it first. :)
Since this is built using the Metroid engine, there's still the block and door clipping glitches:
Spoiler:
You can get screw attack with just bombs and missiles (there's probably even a way to clip without having to open the door).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3WjHxwF9Mo
But you probably mean without glitches, in which case I got nothing.

Update 1.20 is getting close.  I've been actively reworking the trouble spots in the level design.  I've been listening carefully to all the feedback and weighing my original intentions against the experiences of actual players to see if the intended result was achieved.
Glad to here some of the level design is getting reworked (particularly the mazes).  I couldn't figure out how to get to the first two bosses, and ended up skipping them altogether.

Thank you for all your hard work!

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: January 21, 2017, 11:39:17 am »
Awesome! Hopefully I'll be able to get back to livestreaming it next week or the week after, then. :thumbsup: Thanks again for all your hard work, and I appreciate your receptiveness to feedback.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #987 on: January 21, 2017, 05:25:23 pm »
So RD would become boring? There is would be like no challenge at all? There was only one place where you can get cheap damage.  In many places if you stop and think then you can go without any damage at all. So i'm pretty sure peoples just tries to play it like Mario Bros when you run without stop trough the whole game. And then they say "Oh it so cheap". I watch how one man plays on stream. There was a place where you have to jump, but you hit ceiling by head and it's really hard to make. But you can use spring ball and make that jump super easy. And he hits that ceiling over and over and over without even thinking of using spring ball. And this is how it goes. If there is some hard place you can always use your items to make it easier. Hard jumps? Use wall jump, spring ball and bomb boost. Hard enemies? Freeze them, use rockets, bomb trough them, use screw attack. This is not a romhack problem that peoples tries to run without stop and thinking.

Yes, bug's layer was a little bit annoying, but soon or alter everyone get it.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: January 21, 2017, 07:01:12 pm »
I can definitely see where you're coming from, Chika. I had no issues with Rogue Dawn as it was in v1.10, but I welcome any ease-of-access made for other players. It only sounds like they're making tweaks, not making the game that much easier.

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #989 on: January 21, 2017, 07:06:07 pm »
Some needlessly difficult spots have been toned down a bit including eliminating the long fall drop shafts in the final area.
I like those shafts. It was so nervwrecking to go across them. And if you experienced player you can climb them up. So the last area now is just simple walk to the boss?

Ballz

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • party time excellent
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: January 21, 2017, 09:51:14 pm »
Typo to report:

Spoiler:

No apostrophe in "its"

Edit: And another, this one from one of the Easter eggs:

Spoiler:

Need to use a wee bit more memory and add an apostrophe so that it's Grimlock's
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 01:17:28 am by Ballz »

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: January 22, 2017, 12:02:52 pm »
Hey Grimlock, I have a bug to report. I found a streamer who was routing Rogue Dawn for a speedrun, and he's on a real NES via a PowerPak I believe? He says the ending crashes for him, and the save screen is all screwed up.

https://www.twitch.tv/megaultrajman This is his Twitch if you wanna contact him. He's been up for 9 hours and said himself he may not remember to send in a report. He says he's gonna make a highlight of his stream as well, of the bugs he's found. I'm gonna post a screencap of his messed up save screen once I can see it again.

Edit -

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #992 on: January 22, 2017, 10:02:38 pm »
Just found a way to kill that boss without rockets. So end of the game now completly open

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #993 on: January 24, 2017, 03:12:55 am »
To the creators;

Just wanted to chime in and express my deepest gratitude for this very wonderful hack you've made. You'll see my review. Can't thank you enough! Well done. Well done indeed!

Typo to report:

Spoiler:

No apostrophe in "its"

Edit: And another, this one from one of the Easter eggs:

Spoiler:

Need to use a wee bit more memory and add an apostrophe so that it's Grimlock's

Oh, I think we can overlook those two truly insignificant problems.

Concerning the glitch described above by Vivify93, I have played the game on Nestopia and just tested it with FCEUX for PC and NESEmu and JohnNes for Android[on an Archos Gamepad1 and GPD Q9] without any issues. I also have a modded MiniNES which seems to play it perfectly as well[at least the title, save select screen and first stage]. It seems very likely to be an issue with the PowerPak itself. Perhaps the firmware for it needs updating? You may wish to reach out to megaultrajman and suggest he make sure his firmware is up to date and if so, also reach out to the maker's of the PowerPak to see if a fix can be created for it. It would a shame if this game couldn't be played on the original hardware.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:33:57 am by lexluthermiester »

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #994 on: January 24, 2017, 04:07:51 am »
We also don't know if he patched correct rom or not. So it also can be just his rom issue

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: January 24, 2017, 04:56:52 am »
Thanks for the continued feedback, it really helps generate ideas for improvements.  Since we're hoping to make 1.20 our final major update we're really throwing everything we can at it.  All of my previously highlighted items for this update have been completed.  The list has expanded to include additional hidden passageways, routes to items for early access (provided the right skills and or exploits are utilized), and even a few additional Easter Egg screens (since I guess the other ones have pretty much been widely discovered).

Additional news for update 1.20:

I've teamed up with the creator of Hyper Metroid (a very well know Super Metroid hack), ReadRed to create a new second mission sprite set which will include the power suit (play as Samus) after you beat the game.  After you beat the game all of the sprites will cycle to a new second set.  The sprites are already in a first draft so it shouldn't take much more time to get them refined.

Snarfblam has corrected the game ending freeze bug as well as made some other code improvements.  He's looking at a few additional areas of the code at the moment to ensure everything looks good.  Once he's wrapped up and the 2nd mission sprites are in place Optomon will insert the music again and we'll launch the final 1.20 update.  Updates after that will most likely be limited to bug repairs (if any).  It could be as early as this weekend or as late as the following week.  I don't see it going out any further than that.

1.20 is going to have a lot of neat additions, you're definitely going to want to pick it up when it's released!  :thumbsup:

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #996 on: January 24, 2017, 07:34:13 am »
Thanks for the continued feedback, it really helps generate ideas for improvements.  Since we're hoping to make 1.20 our final major update we're really throwing everything we can at it.  All of my previously highlighted items for this update have been completed.  The list has expanded to include additional hidden passageways, routes to items for early access (provided the right skills and or exploits are utilized), and even a few additional Easter Egg screens (since I guess the other ones have pretty much been widely discovered).

A reason to play through again! YAY! More awesome.

I've teamed up with the creator of Hyper Metroid (a very well know Super Metroid hack), ReadRed to create a new second mission sprite set which will include the power suit (play as Samus) after you beat the game.  After you beat the game all of the sprites will cycle to a new second set.  The sprites are already in a first draft so it shouldn't take much more time to get them refined.

Excellent!

Snarfblam has corrected the game ending freeze bug as well as made some other code improvements.  He's looking at a few additional areas of the code at the moment to ensure everything looks good.  Once he's wrapped up and the 2nd mission sprites are in place Optomon will insert the music again and we'll launch the final 1.20 update.  Updates after that will most likely be limited to bug repairs (if any).  It could be as early as this weekend or as late as the following week.  I don't see it going out any further than that.

Didn't encounter that bug. @Snarf; Is this emulator specific? Or am I just lucky? Using Nestopia UE 1.46 and NES.emu 1.5.34[Android] primarily.

1.20 is going to have a lot of neat additions, you're definitely going to want to pick it up when it's released!  :thumbsup:

Oh the waiting..

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: January 24, 2017, 10:20:58 am »
We're eagerly awaiting with bated breath! ;D

Ziko

• View Profile
« Reply #998 on: January 24, 2017, 11:51:48 am »

About the second mission addition with Samus, will it work even if I started a second playthrough as Dawn because I last saved back at the ship after going through the SMB easter egg area and I have all my upgrades from the first playthrough?

Ballz

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • party time excellent
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: January 24, 2017, 02:17:49 pm »

Oh, I think we can overlook those two truly insignificant problems.

Spelling errors are spelling errors.  If the team is continuing to work on the hack to polish it and make it as professional as possible, why on earth would they "overlook" them?