News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Version 1.21  (Read 266500 times)

chikadubi

• View Profile
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" Work in progress
« Reply #700 on: November 07, 2016, 04:45:59 pm »
Just an outside opinion here:
I think you are a terrible beta tester just for asking this, despite how brilliant you may be at hunting and reporting bugs.
But as you can see i'm just random guy who appears from nowhere. Why i was even chosen for this? I didn't claim that i would be a great beta tester in all points of view. I can only try to find some bugs.
And i don't see why i can't ask it
And there is no place where i can privately ask this. Grimlock says that we can't PM him and that email is obviously only for bug reports and not for this garbage.
And actually i think when peoples can't wait when something gets released - it really shows that they really like this project.
And and and actually i'm not that good at English as you can see. Maybe some sentences that i writing feels offensive to peoples and i don't even know it. So i'm sorry.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 04:52:34 pm by chikadubi »

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #701 on: November 07, 2016, 04:55:28 pm »
Is it known when game would be released to public? :C I really want to freely discus it and post some videos  ::)

Testers have found plenty of issues for us to fix. We're working on squashing bugs, but hard to give a realistic ETA. Please remember to be considerate with regards to spoilers even once the hack is publicly released.

Some people have an adverse reaction to "begging" (requests or asking for news/updates); it's generally frowned upon. Not going to lose sleep over it, though. Gotta keep things copacetic.  8)

laputanmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #702 on: November 07, 2016, 06:08:38 pm »
Normally I wouldn't respond but I'm actually going to do something unusual and back up chikadubi on this.

I don't have reason to believe their (edited) response is harmful to the game.  They are SO incredibly excited to have this fantastic and amazing thing and they WANT to be able to share that with others.  The compulsion for some to share things publicly is pretty strong.  Just look at FaceBook and Twitter that make their entire income based off of that.  I don't blame chikadubi for being excited but I do wish they'd stop stoking the fire and posting here about it.  Just send them the e-mail instead bud, they won't mind.  :P

That said, I have at least 2+ pages of thoughts, bugs, glitches, and suggestions that I'm going to be sending to the devs and I'm barely ~20 percent though the game.  I absolutely LOVE to nitpick the hell out of things that few people would bother.  My background in making rom hacks also permits me inside knowledge on eliminating 'impractical' ideas that wouldn't be feasible to perform on an NES (or would require massive ROM size expansion) and instead focus on what a small team can do in their spare time.

These people have AWESOME ideas and I've been waiting ~3 years (since at least 2013) for Rogue Dawn to be finished.  I believe many of us have done so.
I'm positively awe-struck by what they've been able to squeeze out of the humble NES and completely doable on a stock 8-bit NES system no less (no fancy enhancement chips here just standard MMC3 mapper)!

Personally based on what I have tested, I fully understand the desire for them to polish as much as possible before release.
As Miyamoto himself says "You only get one chance to make an impression that will last forever".  Or what people in the USA commonly thing as 'first impression is the last impression'.

The issue with releasing a 'beta' build publicly and THEN fixing it is that very few people will bother to check back or keep up with bugfixes or repatching their game with each new patch update.  Maybe they use soft-patching or maybe they don't.  The less 'releases' you have to do for a ROM patch the better.

I sincerely wish I had had the opportunity to provide feedback much earlier in the project (like back around the first or second betas) but I am simply humbled by being able to participate and help make HISTORY.

I'm hoping this humble rom mod can go down as one of the best NES Metroid 1 rom mods ever made like how Dragoon X Omega 1 is the best Dragon Warrior 1 total conversion mod ever made.

Of course in both cases, I'm also hoping they get enough positive reinforcement to set up a crowdfunding campaign for a proper PC HD re-release later on down the line.  One can dream, can they not?  Change a few names and places around and it already is an original IP.

This is the kind of game that you really sink your teeth into despite wandering around for ~2 hours and not knowing where to go (THANKS SO MUCH GUYS).  I'm so far behind since I last played the original Metroid that I'm going into this almost completely blind.  I guess that's a good thing?  :)

I once again have the thrill of a virgin game release that has NO guides or cheats or hacks or GameFAQs garbage posted on the internet.  I have NOTHING to help me but my own wits and I LOVE it.  :)

TLDR:  Game is not that buggy but the extra polish will make it THAT much better than if it were released as-is because the first impression is the best possible resume-builder that these fantastic rom modders have to look forward to coming true.

I'm gonna need at least 2 to 3 days to fully finish the game and deliver my full report.  The game is significantly larger than it appeared at first.  Deceptive automap is deceptive ;)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 09:09:56 pm by laputanmachine »

Link

• Nintendo never dies.
    • View Profile
    • Retrogaming
« Reply #703 on: November 08, 2016, 03:13:24 am »
Am enjoying the game a lot, just an hour a day re-visiting several areas and I didnt found anything weird, there are some glitches with some minor enemies, but those glitches are the same we can found in the original Metroid cartridge even in real NES, I know Metroid very well so am not surprised.

RD is not a game, is art, is incredible what NES can handle.

┬┐Someone here had tested it in an everdrive in a rea NES? please let us know if so.

I know deadline for testing is november 10th, but maybe we could have a couple of days more? Am not as fast like others here that finished the game in a day!! you are monsters of videogaming :P

Hope you agree Grimlock, if no, then I'll no sleep these days until finish :P

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: November 08, 2016, 06:14:53 am »
A couple days won't hurt, we just need everyone to try and get back to us as soon as they can so we can finish developing our check list and get back to work on the final.

Regarding a projected release date that's going to be really tough until we have a solid final list of bugs and modifications.

If anyone testing the game out has any questions feel free to use the email address provided in the PM.  Just be sure to give us a day or two to respond, we're limited in time due to personal obligations and we're getting a lot of great detailed feedback that is much appreciated but does drain our available time to reply to more recent emails.

MagusLOGS

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #705 on: November 08, 2016, 05:00:26 pm »
The way the rain drops into the water and on the stairs is fantastic art! love the attention to detail

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: November 09, 2016, 11:03:21 am »
The way the rain drops into the water and on the stairs is fantastic art! love the attention to detail

Fans does what Nintendon't.

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #707 on: November 09, 2016, 01:49:56 pm »
Last night I had a dream I was playing this.

It's rare that happens.  :thumbsup:

Link

• Nintendo never dies.
    • View Profile
    • Retrogaming
« Reply #708 on: November 09, 2016, 05:50:05 pm »
Last night I had a dream I was playing this. It's rare that happens.  :thumbsup:

And did you found any bugs? :P

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #709 on: November 10, 2016, 12:28:40 pm »
I found pretty easy way to completely soft lock the game  :D

hossbags2

• View Profile
« Reply #710 on: November 10, 2016, 06:36:27 pm »
I test played this on the Nintendo Wii and played well

Sikkan

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: November 13, 2016, 06:09:14 am »
Very quiet here...whats up folks? too busy playing the beta? :D :crazy:

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #712 on: November 13, 2016, 06:02:09 pm »
I'm pretty sure i collected and do everything that was possible in beta. I made some optimal route trough the game by using all kind of sequence breaking glitches, but obviously there is no point to polish it. Because obviously some of glitches would be fixed in final realize or i think even some levels can be changed a little bit. So there is no point to play it now, because there is nothing to do. Even if there is left something hidden - i can't see where it could be. So i moved forward to the next game.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 06:33:33 pm by chikadubi »

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: November 13, 2016, 08:42:06 pm »

I decided to wait and give the beta testing group till the 10th since I sent out that date in error originally.  I posted the corrected date but some didn't see it due to focusing on testing the game.  we're now in the weekend following the 10th so I'm continuing to compile our punch list based on the reports that came in.  I'll post an update once I get together with Snarfblam and Optomon and figure out an estimated amount of time to correct the issues discovered.

Thanks again to everyone who participated and sent back feedback!  :thumbsup:

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #714 on: November 13, 2016, 09:36:17 pm »
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:55:00 am by Gamerhenky »
WebsiteYouTube
(My RHDN Inbox almost full)

Sikkan

• View Profile
« Reply #715 on: November 14, 2016, 05:59:08 am »
I decided to wait and give the beta testing group till the 10th since I sent out that date in error originally.  I posted the corrected date but some didn't see it due to focusing on testing the game.  we're now in the weekend following the 10th so I'm continuing to compile our punch list based on the reports that came in.  I'll post an update once I get together with Snarfblam and Optomon and figure out an estimated amount of time to correct the issues discovered.

Thanks again to everyone who participated and sent back feedback!  :thumbsup:
Thank YOU and SNarfblam and Optomon for creating an awesome NES metroid adventure that have captured and evolved the metroid mood in this hack :D.

Playing it is like listening to a really awesome metal album. You simply cant get enough!

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #716 on: November 14, 2016, 06:04:40 am »
Playing it is like listening to a really awesome metal album. You simply cant get enough!

Awesome jazz album!
 :laugh: :happy: :thumbsup:
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

Sikkan

• View Profile
« Reply #717 on: November 14, 2016, 07:14:34 am »
Awesome jazz album!
 :laugh: :happy: :thumbsup:

we all like different :D. but we ALL love a masterfully made metroid hack ;)

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #718 on: November 14, 2016, 07:18:16 am »
we all like different :D. but we ALL love a masterfully made metroid hack ;)

Agreed!
Cheers!  :beer:
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

Link

• Nintendo never dies.
    • View Profile
    • Retrogaming
« Reply #719 on: November 14, 2016, 03:36:42 pm »
Sent 2 emails Grimlock, please check it out.