News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Version 1.21  (Read 263175 times)

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" Work in progress
« Reply #680 on: November 03, 2016, 06:42:32 am »
I have played a lot yesterday.
I am still shocked HOW MARVELOUS, FANTASTIC, UNBELIEVABLE this game is.

But I am having difficult times to find the BOMBS.
Just found the SUPER JUMP at the moment.
The labyrinth feeling is really, really well done.
Puzzles me all the time.

Also, I have found a place where Samus gets stuck if morphed into ball form
and two places with glitches where Samus gets wall clipping problems.

Informing DEVs right now by email.
C.
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #681 on: November 03, 2016, 11:08:59 am »
I'm not going to address the personal-experience part of your post since no external verifiable sources for your information were included
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9qslx9n79bm0z5/Stream.mp4?dl=0
Watch this frame by frame. 2 emulators running at the same time on Core i7 4770k 4GHZ stable frequency (intel speed step off) CPU. Emulators eats inputs from Logitech F310 at the same time (switch to the X). Recorded by obs in 60 fps with low bitrate with nvenc to prevent any unnecessary cpu usage. All possible applications and services where off. Vsync in all emulators is off. puNES is x64 last version and fceux last version builded from sourcecode. I think this is the best condition for this test that you can get in real world.

Where is mario jumping first in most times? :-\ But this is only a video. You can easily feel how bad puNES eats input if you play something like battletoads and tries to do dash jumps all over the place. And RD already pretty laggy game with a lot of precise jumps that sometimes not that easy to make because of lag. Because your character constantly changing it moving speed depends on how bad lag is. And most testers are "casual" testers. If they listen to you and start using puNES - they will deal with game lag that makes it hard to control some times + input lag again that makes it a little bit more difficult to control. And there is would be absolutely no benefit from puNES accuracy for beta test. It's better to use fceux or nestopia (they are the same in terms of input lag) to get better feeling of the game, than puNES that gives you actually nothing

edit: and why you want to use real console + everdrive? Look at the table that you post! Real console + everdrive have less accuracy than puNES  :happy: You have to buy some game that uses official mmc3 board and remade it to RD
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 11:44:05 am by chikadubi »

laputanmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #682 on: November 03, 2016, 04:17:59 pm »
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9qslx9n79bm0z5/Stream.mp4?dl=0
Watch this frame by frame. 2 emulators running at the same time on Core i7 4770k 4GHZ stable frequency (intel speed step off) CPU. Emulators eats inputs from Logitech F310 at the same time (switch to the X). Recorded by obs in 60 fps with low bitrate with nvenc to prevent any unnecessary cpu usage. All possible applications and services where off. Vsync in all emulators is off. puNES is x64 last version and fceux last version builded from sourcecode. I think this is the best condition for this test that you can get in real world.

Where is mario jumping first in most times? :-\ But this is only a video. You can easily feel how bad puNES eats input if you play something like battletoads and tries to do dash jumps all over the place. And RD already pretty laggy game with a lot of precise jumps that sometimes not that easy to make because of lag. Because your character constantly changing it moving speed depends on how bad lag is. And most testers are "casual" testers. If they listen to you and start using puNES - they will deal with game lag that makes it hard to control some times + input lag again that makes it a little bit more difficult to control. And there is would be absolutely no benefit from puNES accuracy for beta test. It's better to use fceux or nestopia (they are the same in terms of input lag) to get better feeling of the game, than puNES that gives you actually nothing

edit: and why you want to use real console + everdrive? Look at the table that you post! Real console + everdrive have less accuracy than puNES  :happy: You have to buy some game that uses official mmc3 board and remade it to RD

I appreciate your response but would rather we continue this discussion in PM to elaborate further and so I can turn off my 'internal chat filter'.  I'd rather not derail the thread any further.  I'm not downloading video from a random dropbox so please upload it to YT or another video-sharing website as an unlisted link.  Use of DropBox is something that I'd rather avoid if possible.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 04:25:33 pm by laputanmachine »

cospefogo

• View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #683 on: November 03, 2016, 04:20:14 pm »
I appreciate your response but would rather we continue this discussion in PM.

Nice touch, laputanmachine.
I agree with you.
Let's keep the focus on the game itself!

Regards, guys!
Cospefogo.

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #684 on: November 04, 2016, 06:48:30 am »
I appreciate your response but would rather we continue this discussion in PM to elaborate further and so I can turn off my 'internal chat filter'.  I'd rather not derail the thread any further.  I'm not downloading video from a random dropbox so please upload it to YT or another video-sharing website as an unlisted link.  Use of DropBox is something that I'd rather avoid if possible.  Thanks.
You can't see the difference on youtube, because there is no function on youtube to go frame advance in video. And there is only 1 or 2 frames difference in video between mario's jumps. You have to use some media player or virtual dub or something that allows you to go frame advance.

Sorry. This is my last post about this. I think i have right to answer to this

edit: I think i'm going now to the last locations. At least it looks like last location   :P I can't hold myself and i want to say... After collecting some last rockets in some location i get some crazy glitch that warped me to the place close to the last location. It was pretty convenient :D Sorry for "spoiling" this :C
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 03:15:17 pm by chikadubi »

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: November 04, 2016, 04:42:29 pm »
You can't see the difference on youtube, because there is no function on youtube to go frame advance in video. And there is only 1 or 2 frames difference in video between mario's jumps. You have to use some media player or virtual dub or something that allows you to go frame advance.

Sorry. This is my last post about this. I think i have right to answer to this

edit: I think i'm going now to the last locations. At least it looks like last location   :P I can't hold myself and i want to say... After collecting some last rockets in some location i get some crazy glitch that warped me to the place close to the last location. It was pretty convenient :D Sorry for "spoiling" this :C
I actually saw a difference, but there are two things I wonder:
1. Why is one window on focus and the other not? Can't one simply put the focus on Notepad or something else and use background inputs?
2. What is their priority? Priority affects things more than you think. Example: running the old La-Mulana on Windows 10 requires you to set Priority to Realtime or else there will be HUGE slowdowns at moments (like bosses)

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #686 on: November 04, 2016, 05:16:55 pm »
I actually saw a difference, but there are two things I wonder:
1. Why is one window on focus and the other not? Can't one simply put the focus on Notepad or something else and use background inputs?
2. What is their priority? Priority affects things more than you think. Example: running the old La-Mulana on Windows 10 requires you to set Priority to Realtime or else there will be HUGE slowdowns at moments (like bosses)
I didn't think that focus matters :C I don't know if puNES can run in background and can eat inputs in background. Priority was by default. And don't think that with 4 core cpu with 8 threads it really matters.
And i can feel input lag while playing battletoads. So even when puNES running alone i still feel input lag.
C'mon guys! You can do this by yourself in any conditions you want if you didn't trust me :C This is truly my last post on this theme

edit: i finished the game. I think i missed 2 rocket upgrades :C I'll try to find them and then i send my report

edit2: I send my report. Didn't find rockets :C
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 09:27:01 pm by chikadubi »

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #687 on: November 05, 2016, 09:13:44 am »
Quote from: Reply #645
The beta starts now and will end in one week (November 6th), please have all your feedback submitted on or before November 7th so we can work any issues during the week and release the following weekend!  Thanks for your help everyone!

Quote from: PM
We’ll run the beta for one week, the beta ends on the 9th, please provide feedback on or before the 10th of  October.

What's wrong Grimlock? :huh:
WebsiteYouTube
(My RHDN Inbox almost full)

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: November 05, 2016, 12:01:37 pm »
I didn't think that focus matters :C I don't know if puNES can run in background and can eat inputs in background. Priority was by default. And don't think that with 4 core cpu with 8 threads it really matters.
Don't underestimate the impact priority has on a game. As in the example I told you of: La-Mulana with Aeon Genesis Translation. A game that run perfectly fine on Windows XP, but requires a minor compatibility adjustment AND Real Time priority on Windows 10, disregard of how many other processes are running in the background.

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #689 on: November 05, 2016, 03:57:14 pm »
Found one of the missing missile / rocket upgrades!!! YEAH! I think just one left to 100% completion of the game  ::)

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #690 on: November 05, 2016, 04:07:35 pm »
Grimlock, could you please include me in the beta? I requested it and listed my email address several pages back, but didn't get an email or pm from you.

My email address is satoshimatrix@hotmail.com.Please, I really want to do my part and help bug fix this!
Thanks!

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #691 on: November 05, 2016, 05:24:22 pm »
 This romhack just so cool with all that secrets.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 07:01:13 am by chikadubi »

laputanmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #692 on: November 05, 2016, 06:18:50 pm »
That feeling when I was invited to the beta, waited 3 days, and still nothing.
Q_Q

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: November 05, 2016, 06:35:42 pm »
Oh! I finally found all rocket upgrades! Last one was in forest area!  ;)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 07:00:54 am by chikadubi »

cospefogo

• View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #694 on: November 06, 2016, 04:29:12 am »
I wasn't even able to find the bombs for the morphing ball...
 :( :( :(

seanph

• View Profile
« Reply #695 on: November 06, 2016, 09:19:13 am »
Report sent. I am loving this game. I can't stop playing it.  :)

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - \"Metroid - Rogue Dawn\" Work in progress
« Reply #696 on: November 06, 2016, 01:13:12 pm »
That feeling when I was invited to the beta, waited 3 days, and still nothing.
Q_Q

Sorry about the delay, I had some unexpected things come up on the personal front.  I'll have the PM sent later today. 

November 06, 2016, 10:28:51 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Satoshi_Matrix and laputanmachine have been added to the Beta testing group (Check your PMs, Thanks).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 10:28:51 pm by Grimlock »

xttx

• View Profile
« Reply #697 on: November 07, 2016, 12:06:58 pm »
Hi Grimlock is it too late to be a part of this? I thought I had requested to be part of the beta, but I could be mistaken.  :)

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: November 07, 2016, 02:01:07 pm »
Is it known when game would be released to public? :C I really want to freely discus it and post some videos  ::)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 02:26:24 pm by chikadubi »

altoiddealer

• View Profile
« Reply #699 on: November 07, 2016, 04:26:15 pm »
Is it known when game would be released to public? :C I really want to freely discus it and post some videos  ::)
Just an outside opinion here:
I think you are a terrible beta tester just for asking this, despite how brilliant you may be at hunting and reporting bugs.
You sound like you are just barely restraining yourself, or at least publicly.  Your question shouldn't even be public.

Grimlock has been giving regular updates, and they have all been "when it's done."  SHEESH