News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Version 1.21  (Read 258296 times)

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" Work in progress
« Reply #660 on: October 31, 2016, 01:04:47 pm »
Same here. Just beat this game recently, I send my reports too but for my actual name in credits part just call me Hengki Kusuma Adi or just Hengki.
WebsiteYouTube
(My RHDN Inbox almost full)

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #661 on: October 31, 2016, 01:12:14 pm »
How long to beat it, approximately?

I see people beating the game from one day to another.
Is it that easy? Or do you guys are just running through the game like crazy?

I will start only tonight.
Yesterday had some family issues and was not able to play.

C.
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #662 on: October 31, 2016, 01:23:04 pm »
Wondering if this hack has some japanese translation. I called it メトロイド:ローグドーン
WebsiteYouTube

hossbags2

• View Profile
« Reply #663 on: October 31, 2016, 01:50:03 pm »
I am testing this on the Nintendo Wii

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #664 on: October 31, 2016, 07:23:20 pm »
Datalog #1:

So far, I love it.

I'm in an underwater level, in which I'm trying to get out. I'm trying to find the Morph Bombs but I don't know where the hell they are.

On to the technical stuff: 1) One of the "hairy" enemies that you encounter after the first levels, in the place where there is like some kind of "purple acid", just rolls in an invisible box, and stays there forever; 2) I don't know if it's the hack, or my computer (which I highly doubt it, because FCEUX 2.2.3 runs the other NES games well), but the game stutters, and the frame drops a bit sometimes.

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #665 on: October 31, 2016, 08:05:50 pm »
DUDE, this game is HUGE!!! I think I'm getting close to full completion of only one location. There so many secrets! There is also some easter eggs. I can't remember where i saw that hidden image, but it feels so familiar :C

2) I don't know if it's the hack, or my computer (which I highly doubt it, because FCEUX 2.2.3 runs the other NES games well), but the game stutters, and the frame drops a bit sometimes.
Game stays a little bit on lagy side, but you can use overclocking function in your fceux to completely eliminate lag. Just add like 500 extra scanlines to be sure.  ::) But for real testing you don't want do that.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:15:07 pm by chikadubi »

laputanmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #666 on: October 31, 2016, 09:34:44 pm »
I'm somewhat disappointed but not surprised at some of these "bug" reports.  They seem to be emulator-related issues since FCEUX is one of the worst NES emulators when it comes to accuracy.
http://tasvideos.org/EmulatorResources/NESAccuracyTests.html

FCEUX is about ~50% accuracy while something like puNES is both user-friendly and has over 96% accuracy.
https://github.com/punesemu/puNES/releases

D3D9 = DirectX9 version
SDL = OpenGL version

I find the OpenGL version works better on Nvidia GPUs while DX9 version works better on non-Nvidia GPUs due to incomplete OpenGL driver support.

While on-console testing with a flash kart would also be fantastic, emulator testers might want to try out using puNES for now.  Just be sure to rename the exe to add a _p to enable 'portable mode' so it doesn't spew files into your Documents directory.  So it would be punes.exe renamed to punes_p.exe (for 32-bit) and punes64.exe to punes64_p.exe (for 64-bit).

I would love to see this game head towards 'hardware accurate' style rather than 'emulator-specific' accuracy.  It would be prudent to make sure that people can enjoy this rom mod for years to come.  If they like, the authors are welcome to do a few simple tweaks to render it inoperable on real hardware while not preventing accurate emulators from working with it.  This would discourage 'karting' of this particular rom mod.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 09:41:13 pm by laputanmachine »

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: October 31, 2016, 10:10:03 pm »
Datalog #1:

So far, I love it.

I'm in an underwater level, in which I'm trying to get out. I'm trying to find the Morph Bombs but I don't know where the hell they are.

On to the technical stuff: 1) One of the "hairy" enemies that you encounter after the first levels, in the place where there is like some kind of "purple acid", just rolls in an invisible box, and stays there forever; 2) I don't know if it's the hack, or my computer (which I highly doubt it, because FCEUX 2.2.3 runs the other NES games well), but the game stutters, and the frame drops a bit sometimes.

Please send all bug reports to the email address provided in the PM, thanks.  :police:

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #668 on: November 01, 2016, 03:55:04 am »
@Devs: Will be there NSF Music included as well? I love those musics.
WebsiteYouTube

Sikkan

• View Profile
« Reply #669 on: November 01, 2016, 03:59:06 am »
Progress is slow but steady, those bombs were NOT easy to locate :D

love the game so far!

Edit* no Unusual stutter for me! Ofc framerate drops when much happens on screen but thats normal. Emulating on my ouya :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 05:22:55 am by Sikkan »

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: November 01, 2016, 11:21:55 am »
I'm somewhat disappointed but not surprised at some of these "bug" reports.  They seem to be emulator-related issues since FCEUX is one of the worst NES emulators when it comes to accuracy.
Where you see at least one bug report that caused by bad emulation?

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: November 01, 2016, 01:02:00 pm »
@Devs: Will be there NSF Music included as well? I love those musics.
Optomon produced a NSF, we'll probably include it in the final download.

laputanmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #672 on: November 01, 2016, 07:56:58 pm »
If the devs of this ROM mod are interested in testing out on puNES they are welcome to do so and I highly recommend it.
I've already offered my services as a tester if they wanted to include me but it seems they already have a lot to handle as it is.

I merely pointed out that people running on significantly low-accuracy emulators (less than 75%) may want to consider using a better one for testing out ROMs as bugs/glitches they encounter MAY end up being emulator-specific glitches rather than errors within the ROM itself.

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #673 on: November 02, 2016, 11:14:12 am »
Fceux have enough accuracy for human tests. That % on tasvideos doesn't mean actual % of accuracy that you can compare so easily. Emulation specific glitches extremely rare in mmc3 games. And in worst possible  case it would be like shaking background or some kind of background flickering etc.  Most peoples can't notice even that. And this usually happens when games uses like pseudoparalax scrolling or when games changes chr banks midframe etc. I didn't see whole RD game, but i don't think that it uses that. And speeking of puNES - it have noticeable input lag. My opinion - it's better to use fceux or nestopia with better input response than puNES. And speaking of nestopia... I think even if human try to count every single "glitched" pixel in that line when there is like midframe chr bank switch in some games even then it would be impossible to find any difference between nestopia and puNES. And humans can't actually look deeper then this in terms of accuracy.

edit: ok, actually with romhacks it's possible to have some situation like when romhack uses some kind of window in mapper or console emulation code and gets results that imposible to get on real console. For example situation like when game works fine on emulator, but it crashes on real console. But again i think it's pretty much unlikely with RD

edit2: and for example now BizHawk on top of that table with most accuracy, BUT like one week ago - MMC3 game Recca have like completely broken tittle screen with crashed graphic in BizHawk. It was fixed very fast, BUT as far as i know that fix doesn't hit ANY of those accuracy tests :DDD
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 12:07:37 pm by chikadubi »

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #674 on: November 02, 2016, 01:33:59 pm »
real men still use nesticle

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #675 on: November 02, 2016, 03:01:40 pm »
VirtuaNES and mods for it still pretty popular in China
VirtuaNES is pretty inaccurate - background shakes in every third game :D

edit: tomorrow I will finally go to that Forest area for detailed exploration :P Forest area is the best looking area in the game. I think i briefly vised all of areas now.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 06:56:23 pm by chikadubi »

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: November 02, 2016, 07:52:31 pm »
Just make it compatible with Nestopia and I'm happy.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #677 on: November 02, 2016, 08:13:32 pm »
So excited for this.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 04:06:39 pm by Satoshi_Matrix »

TheShepherd

• I am what i am not...
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: November 02, 2016, 09:06:34 pm »
Fuck, that Graphics looks so awesome, Mister  :thumbsup:
She is without her Suit, will it be a Hack where she is suffering damage
outside Caves or Rooms ?
if I do an action movie today I cannot walk through the streets and do karate moves. I would not believe it anymore. It's hard for me to say that. I cannot go and do three somersaults. I would feel like a monkey.
- Jean-Claude Van Damme

laputanmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #679 on: November 02, 2016, 09:29:34 pm »
Fceux have enough accuracy for human tests. That % on tasvideos doesn't mean actual % of accuracy that you can compare so easily. Emulation specific glitches extremely rare in mmc3 games. And in worst possible  case it would be like shaking background or some kind of background flickering etc.  Most peoples can't notice even that. And this usually happens when games uses like pseudoparalax scrolling or when games changes chr banks midframe etc. I didn't see whole RD game, but i don't think that it uses that. And speeking of puNES - it have noticeable input lag. My opinion - it's better to use fceux or nestopia with better input response than puNES. And speaking of nestopia... I think even if human try to count every single "glitched" pixel in that line when there is like midframe chr bank switch in some games even then it would be impossible to find any difference between nestopia and puNES. And humans can't actually look deeper then this in terms of accuracy.

edit: ok, actually with romhacks it's possible to have some situation like when romhack uses some kind of window in mapper or console emulation code and gets results that imposible to get on real console. For example situation like when game works fine on emulator, but it crashes on real console. But again i think it's pretty much unlikely with RD

edit2: and for example now BizHawk on top of that table with most accuracy, BUT like one week ago - MMC3 game Recca have like completely broken tittle screen with crashed graphic in BizHawk. It was fixed very fast, BUT as far as i know that fix doesn't hit ANY of those accuracy tests :DDD

I'm not going to address the personal-experience part of your post since no external verifiable sources for your information were included, but I will say that I've never had any input-response issues with puNES.  Exactly accurate with zero delay on any USB controller that I use (DirectInput or otherwise).  I'd like to dispel the 'input latency' myth for puNES right now.  puNES has been on v1.0 since April of 2016 and it runs fantastically for me and everyone else that I've talked to over on the RetroCollective Discord server.

I found that puNES hasn't has input latency issues since they were fixed in the v0.79 bugfix version released on Feb 06, 2014.
http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?t=6928 (the date is on page 22 of that thread if you care to look).

I will have to wait until the public release to do some extended testing and make sure that the game doesn't glitch out on more accurate emulators and/or on real hardware.  I have a friend with an EverDrive that is eager to test this out on her real top-loading NES.  :)

VirtuaNES and mods for it still pretty popular in China
VirtuaNES is pretty inaccurate - background shakes in every third game :D

edit: tomorrow I will finally go to that Forest area for detailed exploration :P Forest area is the best looking area in the game. I think i briefly vised all of areas now.

China also still heavily uses Internet Explorer.  Popularity doesn't always mean that it is better software.  China heavily censors their internet and the 'Great Firewall' prevents them from accessing specific sites.  puNES and others aren't exactly high-profile when it comes to NES emulation.  Many people tend to stick with what they've been using for years (or what their friends have been using) rather than trying out something that is more accurate emulation WITHOUT sacrificing performance.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 10:15:05 pm by laputanmachine »