News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Version 1.21  (Read 269979 times)

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" Work in progress
« Reply #240 on: January 24, 2016, 09:34:00 am »
Will the controls be changed at all?
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

frsj8112

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 25, 2016, 06:43:40 am »
It looks incredible!
Good job everyone involved!

If i remember correctly, there was some samples available of the newly written music?

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 25, 2016, 11:11:16 am »
I'll post an nsf of the soundtrack soon. It's not quite finished yet but pretty close.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 25, 2016, 03:36:15 pm »
Initially the corner map was a modification of Parasyte's corner map, but that map glitches on the edges of the game world, and has a bug where if there are too many sprites on the screen, they all disappear.

I rewrote it fix bugs, make it faster, and to use lowest-priority sprites. Since it does use a lot of sprites, there will be flicker, but the map will flicker instead of causing enemies to flicker and if there are too many sprites on the screen the map will start dropping tiles instead of something else.

Is the position final or will provide the relevant info to move it on my own?

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #244 on: January 26, 2016, 07:37:49 pm »
I'm not sure it's final, but either way it would be easy enough to share the necessary info to let people modify it.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 26, 2016, 08:18:57 pm »
That would be cool. I Really don't like it on the left.

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 27, 2016, 01:46:39 pm »
Here is the nsf (so far)

Rogue_Dawn.nsf

Tenatively, where each track appears in the game

1.   Title theme (definitely not finished)
2.   Elevator room
3.   Main ship
4.   Planetary surface
5.   Water area
6.   Main core (forest area)
7.   Chozo ruins
8.   Science ship (probably)
9.   Boneyard
10. Final area (has dry sampling, would like to improve)
11. Boss theme (same)
12. Escape

No ending theme yet, and a few other minor tracks are still needed.

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 27, 2016, 07:50:18 pm »
I just went through the .nsf, the tracks are sounding great!   Really looking forward to getting this integrated.  :thumbsup:

If I had to pick one track as a favorite I'd have to go with track 7, it's fantastic and really captures the theme of the area.  Track 3, 5, and 6 would be tied for second.

Track 2 is spot on for a traditional Metroid sound, right on the money for it's intended purpose.  All of the new tracks fit the game nicely.

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 28, 2016, 02:07:27 pm »
I will say one thing about working on this soundtrack: it has been a huge challenge, MUCH more so than any previous soundtrack I've worked on. It's not the typical stuff I'm used to composing, and I've had to go well outside my comfort box to get it up to expectations.  I'm used to making soundtracks for action games rather than exploration games. I innately still try to make tracks musical/paced rather than ambient/organic, and I think that's what's been getting me into trouble.

With the elevator room track, the first few bars came into my head when I imagined the player going into that room. I didn't have a particular sound thought up for it at that point though. While the track is not musically complex, it is technically complex for purpose of emulating particular ambient sounds, which I think is more important for this type of game's soundtrack. The actual quality of the sound is something I had to experiment with code wise. I'm pretty satisfied with it, though it's way longer than it needs to be (which is a non-issue), and the ending could use some polishing, perhaps some sonic variation to keep it fresh (the luster of the second half's distinct sound kind of tires as it approaches the looping point).

Amaweks

• View Profile
    • Game and Art Projects (A/R/Tographic diary)
« Reply #249 on: February 06, 2016, 03:08:44 pm »
Love your project, a must play for sure.

Nice music, really big enfort on narrative, and so far the level design is very interessant. But I love especially the graphics , the choice of colors, shading , and all the hacking tricks of this wonderful game. Side a side with a official game.

Awesome work  :beer:

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 15, 2016, 01:49:20 pm »
More music tracks uploaded to my channel for this game. Not sure if I have anything special to say about them.

Track I

Track J

Track K

Track L

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 15, 2016, 06:26:50 pm »
Track L is a new one for me, the fading effect is pretty neat, such an improvement over the original sound engine!

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 16, 2016, 01:57:55 am »
Love the music changes!  :thumbsup:

Turambar

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 16, 2016, 08:48:53 am »
Track J is better than the original Norfair theme.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 17, 2016, 09:57:56 pm »
Will the controls be changed at all?

I meant to reply to your question earlier.  The controls have been improved in several ways; elimination of existing bugs as well as increased player abilities.  For example exiting morph mid air no longer locks the player to aiming upward while descending.  Multiple missiles can be fired breaking the default single missile limitation.  Wall jump, mid air morph, morph jump added.  The behavior of the bombs have been improved, the timing is better and bombs can be placed in air while in motion.  The wall jump has been fine tuned to make it relatively easy to preform, you can do a wall jump while descending.  I believe changes were made to the screw attack as well.  I may have missed a few control modifications as full credit for all of the improvements goes to Snarfblam (the full list of ASM changes is extensive).  When I write the readme file for the final release I'll include a detailed list of all the games modifications as well as some interesting stats.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #255 on: February 18, 2016, 06:15:18 am »
Sounds very ambitious, really looking forward to this now. :)
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Kurt91

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 19, 2016, 01:51:13 am »
Out of curiosity, how does the player's walking animation look? The wonky-looking animation that NES Metroid used always bugged me.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 20, 2016, 02:03:51 am »
Out of curiosity, how does the player's walking animation look? The wonky-looking animation that NES Metroid used always bugged me.

I've received several questions regarding the walking animation.  Here's my response from earlier inquiries:

Post 191 on page 10:

Metroid has a limited number of player animation frames (as well as a limited number of tiles available to produce them).  I do plan to review the player graphics before the final release, mainly to touch it up and possibly make a few changes.  The NES unfortunately isn't capable of high frame animations like the SNES or GBA that other 2D Metroids benefited from.  Basically we're just trying to do the best we can within the NES limitations.  Ideally we'd like to stay within the limitations of the NES so people can enjoy the game on their Everdrive N8 or other compatible flash cart on original hardware.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 20, 2016, 02:10:09 am »
I like the original walk animation. She looks like she's running, but stomping. LOL
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 20, 2016, 10:48:13 pm »
I'm not an expert but c'mon! Look at the game called "Moon Crystal". In that game even enemies have really smooth walking animations. You can use chr bank switching between frames or chr-ram or something like that to have a lot of tiles to make animations (not expert). Also Metroid ported to powerful MMC5 mapper. MMC5 can do anything you want. Everdrive N8 and even PowerPak supports that mapper.
Sorry for really bad English

Also game called Tom and Jerry (and Tuffy) have smooth walking animation
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 11:19:51 pm by chikadubi »