News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Version 1.21  (Read 196622 times)

Mikh

• View Profile
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" Work in progress
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2015, 07:36:39 am »
After that story rundown. Im super pumped for this and i hate waiting. $30 bucks paypal if i can play test the beta version :)

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2015, 11:10:41 am »
Everyone involved with the production of Rogue Dawn is pretty busy with family activities (totally expected).  We'll be hitting it hard in January to bring the momentum back up to where it was the last few months...Currently working on MMC3 mapper set up, as well as modifying the Editroid editor to work with the new mapper.

I feel that I've been dragging my feet a bit on this, but FWIW, the mapper conversion is very much complete. Updates to the editor are not. I'll be working on this today, though.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2015, 03:07:52 pm »
Finally got time to finish playing this off and it is definitely a Metroid experience that people are going to like. I don't want to spoil the details but you are going to see great level deign, nicely drawn graphics, and a very hard fight come the end! The harmful and healing tiles also are a great addition to the game-play as you have to be more careful as to what you touch and how you navigate around some of the rooms! Looking forward to seeing the end result with the new music and other additions that have been brought up!

Mikh

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2015, 07:37:39 pm »
It's finally March!!!!! I've been dreaming about this hack for a long time. I hope it's almost done.

PhyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2015, 08:25:42 pm »
Will you be releasing the enhanced editor your working on?

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2015, 06:35:03 pm »
We're currently looking at a summer release for Rogue Dawn.  We've expanded the scope of the hack to include many more features including new player abilities, new areas (beyond the original 5), greater diversity of graphics, and more.  I'll update the first post in this thread to include new details (soon).

Snarfblam's enhanced editor (Editroid Version 4.0) will be released once all of the new features have been implemented & he's confident in it's functionality.  Exactly when is up to him.  I can tell you he's working on it pretty hard right now.

One of the new passageways: (Was working on it earlier today) - Click image to enlarge

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 08:52:48 pm by Grimlock »

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2015, 08:46:31 pm »
Snarfblam's enhanced editor (Editroid Version 4.0) will be released once all of the new features have been implemented & he's confident in it's functionality.  Exactly when is up to him.  I can tell you he's working on it pretty hard right now.

Remember to thank Grimlock for being my guinea pig. Practically speaking, Editroid 4.0 will probably be released about the same time as Rogue Dawn.

SpiderWaffle

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2015, 07:09:19 am »
Sounds awesome, I'm excited for both! :D I'll have to get my new PC settup and streaming, and play some metroid, I'll do a blind speedrun live for this hack.  New editor sounds amazing, I was hoping for some minor new features, new items being the hardest and most exciting of them. It's amazing to hear something is working like this.

*EDIT*
Can you create a feature that lets you edit the memory address values for some common values easy to change; if easy enough, possibly:
-Enemy health (allow for more than 1 missile) and damage
-Your health and damage
-Varia suit damage changes
-Missiles needed to destroy red/orage/purple doors
-Missiles per missile pickup
-Missiles given for each miniboss
-Damage for ice, damage for wave, damage for bomb, damage for screwattack
-Amounts given for health and missile drops
-Amounts given for health and missile drops from metroids
-Drop rates
-Range sans longbeam
-Amount high jump increases jump height maybe

Would allow you to tweak values changing the default from say 20, to 25, pretty straight forward can't imagine it being too hard implement for most of those values unless they programmed them really funny.

I'd be happy to help beta test editroid 4.0 too. PM me if you want.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 02:49:01 am by SpiderWaffle »

Duke2go

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Reconstructed
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2015, 08:32:17 pm »
I REALLY like this idea. The only thing I'm not feeling is Samus' color scheme. With 2 similar colors she just doesn't look aesthetically right. I didn't read through all of the pages, so I'm sorry if you have corrected this. Seems like a little lighter tan for the suit would look great. Please keep working on this. I'm very eager to try it out.
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

http://www.ffreconstructed.com/
https://www.facebook.com/finalfantasyreconstructed/

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2015, 03:37:01 pm »
I'm quite intrigued by how the game handles slopes. Does it? Any explanation on the technicalities involved?

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2015, 04:11:15 pm »
Currently it doesn't. You have to jump up them. I keep wondering if there is a straightforward way to implement it that would work well. Best idea I've come up with is something that will bump the player up a pixel when you're walking and a slope gets hit-tested, but that seems like it would be rife with gotchas. E.g. if it tests solid, you can't walk. If it tests non-solid, you'll start to fall. It's something that I'd like to take a more serious look at when some other things have been cleared from the to-do list.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2015, 09:25:33 pm »
I REALLY like this idea. The only thing I'm not feeling is Samus' color scheme. With 2 similar colors she just doesn't look aesthetically right.

Yea, I really do need to remove those "suited" screenshots and update the first post..... There is no suit in this game since the main character is not Samus.  (It's explained in a previous post).  Of course I'm assuming you're referring to the "suited" images.  The sprites are still a work in progress and will be done as one of the final steps of graphics/level design development.  Only about 15% of the sprites are what I would consider final.  The "suitless" sprite is considered final and is the main player sprite.  I might make some minor modifications to it when I get to the sprite editing phase.

Mikh

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2015, 09:37:56 pm »
I have to take a step back and applaud the sprite work you've done so far. I'm very impressed.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2015, 11:41:20 pm »
I have to take a step back and applaud the sprite work you've done so far. I'm very impressed.

Most of the existing sprite work you see (enemies) is the work of DemickXII from his excellent hack 'Roidz released in 2012.  'Roidz was used as a foundational starting point for this hack.  Very few elements of 'Roidz remain at this point other than some of the sprites.  Ultimately nearly all of the sprites will be replaced, what remains will be a few lingering DemickXII original creature sprites, potentially modified.  The main player sprite originated from one of DemickXII's sprites but it has been modified.  Regardless of my modifications to the main player sprite I would still credit DemickXII for his exceptional artistry, much of his original work is still there.

All of DemickXII's area tile graphics have been replaced as well as the level design which was the original Metroid 1, 'Roidz was a graphical hack with a few minor room tweaks & HEX edits.  'Roidz is available here at RHDN.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 12:21:42 am by Grimlock »

Mikh

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2015, 10:39:28 pm »
This hack has really struck a cord with me to the point I've been checking this post sometimes twice a day. Personally with the story I've read and the screenshots I've seen I feel this will be one of those hacks that people will flock too and enjoy. You should let me make a trailer before you release the patch. I'm pretty damn good at editing and I think I can make a pretty effin good one. The story is good enough I could probably do a storyline trailer as well.

I have a decent size studio I could even do a one like the classic live action Nintendo commercials from the 80s and 90s. haha obviously for free because Id like to contribute to your project using what I learned at Full Sail for once ha.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:47:50 pm by Mikh »

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2015, 08:43:26 pm »
The first post has been updated with more current screenshots as well as a couple screenshots of the new area we are adding to the game.  This will bring the total number of areas to 6, the original game had 5.  Additionally we are adding a couple sub areas to further expand on the themes depicted in the screenshots.

A lot of you have been asking for spring ball to be added to the hack... Well, your wish has been granted.  (Don't forget to flood Snarfblams PM box with thank you PMs)  :thumbsup:

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2015, 04:15:36 pm »
A short video of the first few minutes of game play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUIdcqoL0Sg

Music: Linkin Park "Enjoy The Silence"

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2015, 04:14:12 pm »
This is truly superb. It's almost as if the graphics don't belong to the NES. As far as my knowledge of the mechanics of the game goes, once you go through a door (not the bubble, but the actual door part), you have two door types that tell the engine to start scrolling vertically or horizontally. Is that what is used when there are transitions between sections?

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2015, 07:12:20 pm »
Thanks Trax  :beer:.  Snarfblam added greater control of scrolling transitions in his editor Editroid.  The original game toggled vertical and horizontal scrolling every time the player passed through a bubble door.  With Editroid you can transition how ever you choose, vertical to vertical, horizontal to horizontal.  You're able to pull off some pretty neat stuff with it.

Edit: Are you still interested in doing some play testing?  I'd love to get your opinion on some stuff.  PM (or email) me if your still up for it.

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2015, 07:37:30 pm »
Any intersecting areas?  :D