News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Version 1.21  (Read 215506 times)

chikadubi

• View Profile
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Released: 1/14/2017
« Reply #960 on: January 17, 2017, 05:05:56 pm »
I have made maps too. Did you need it?

rainwarrior

• View Profile
    • Rainwarrior's Website
« Reply #961 on: January 17, 2017, 05:43:37 pm »
I have made maps too. Did you need it?
I appreciate that Grimlock kept it small and trimmed to avoid being too much of a spoiler but I'd love to see the complete map at full size too.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:48:52 pm by rainwarrior »

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #962 on: January 17, 2017, 07:55:10 pm »
Someone found a glitched screen transition that allows you to skip last boss
Spoilers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-FPpyqOwTk

I was thinking that you can skip last boss, but i was think that you can't fix scrolling after you do that.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:36:17 pm by chikadubi »

The Rooser

• View Profile
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - \"Metroid - Rogue Dawn\" - Released: 1/14/2017
« Reply #963 on: January 17, 2017, 08:41:30 pm »
Snarfblam was able to pull off some really impressive ASM work on this hack but it's still based on the original M1 engine.  There's other limitations that would probably prevent that as well.
Confirm from my own hacking adventures that marking the map is basically a no-go. That's a lot of volatile data for any NES game. It's actually little things like "keep track of a bunch map meta data" that can demonstrate the subtler impacts of 8-bit vs 16-bit.

January 17, 2017, 08:49:16 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Anyway, game is pretty rad. The fact that the community is finding so many small errors is actually a testament to how ambitious this project is, (and how excited people are for it). I had no problem waiting for the primary release but now that there are patches and such I'm getting antsy waiting for the next update.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:49:16 pm by The Rooser »

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #964 on: January 17, 2017, 09:00:34 pm »
I got an idea, if it hasn't been mentioned already.

I recall seeing a patch where an item switch on and off screen was created. Has this been considered?  :thumbsup:
Hacking Nes Roms Is Like Making Sweet Passionate Love, Hacking Snes Roms Is Like Having Your Bitchy Mother In Law Scream At You.

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: January 18, 2017, 02:33:07 am »
I got an idea, if it hasn't been mentioned already.

I recall seeing a patch where an item switch on and off screen was created. Has this been considered?  :thumbsup:

That's a pretty substantial addition.  We won't be doing anything of that scale.  This final update will most likely be the last set of modifications that we do.  We polished up the game a lot during the beta testing, this is really a final "fine tuning" of the game after the substantial feedback we've been getting.  I'm just about done with the level design changes so there should be a final update release soon.  After that we'll only update if there are any game breaking bugs discovered.  With a project of this scale there's probably always going to be a few minor anomalies in there somewhere even with the level of effort we've put into weeding them out.

servantrider

• View Profile
« Reply #966 on: January 18, 2017, 03:28:00 am »
Thanks for the awesome game!

I do have to say I'm more of the type of player that is getting confused / lost. the maps are great, but the graphic one you posted is really tiny. I zoomed it by about 500%, and that is decentish, but now everything is blurry :(

I Would it be possible to get a larger one? I feel bad constantly having to ask around on where I need to go, would be much nicer if I could just check the map and plot my course.

madmega

• View Profile
« Reply #967 on: January 18, 2017, 05:25:29 am »
There's warping in the level design.  I'm just about done with an update that actually removes some of the warping that was causing a lot of confusion.  For example one particular warping puzzle was designed in a way to make it very simple but when I saw a few play throughs I noticed a common trend of the players attempting to reenter from the exit side.  There was no way for them to realize that was the exit part of the puzzle without a large amount of frustrating trial and error.  Other warps are there for convenience, if you go deep into an area and locate an item or beat a boss I didn't want to make the player have to back track all the way through the entire area, so I made shortcuts.  It can be disorienting at first but most people seem to appreciate that addition to the design once they figue out what's going on.

Ah thank you, good to know, i thought something was wrong with my patch.
Me and my 4 year old son play Metroid Rogue Dawn, every evening, on the Mini NES, it is so addictive, i love this game, thank you !!!

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: January 18, 2017, 04:45:45 pm »
Hey Grimlock, is there any sort of estimate on when v1.20 would be released? Would we expect it before January is out, or maybe closer to mid- or end-February? Thanks again for all you guys' continued hard work.  :thumbsup:
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #969 on: January 18, 2017, 08:58:59 pm »
I started a new game on v1.10 and noticed something a little wierd.
I went straight down to the planet's surface to the area with the health station with the dead soldier next to it right at the beginning of the water area.
Well, when I stood on the health station it wouldn't heal me. I tried adjusting my position on top of it, but nothing would get it to trigger.
I play for a while and got the High-jump Boots and saved.
Upon continuing I went to the Med Bay on the ship to see if the health station there worked and it did. Headed straight to the one that failed before to check it again and it worked fine.
Seems like it might be a minor glitch, but I'm not sure how to recreate it.

Anyway, I'm loving the game thus far. Best Metroid hack ever.

rainwarrior

• View Profile
    • Rainwarrior's Website
« Reply #970 on: January 18, 2017, 09:39:39 pm »
...the health station it wouldn't heal me. ...check it again and it worked fine.
That happened to me as well (in 1.1 with that particular health station). The energy sparkles are sometimes orange instead of purple as well, not sure why this is.

Quote from: Vanya
Anyway, I'm loving the game thus far. Best Metroid hack ever.
I'd say best romhack ever, really. :)

altoiddealer

• View Profile
« Reply #971 on: January 19, 2017, 07:55:44 am »
Sooo when is this going to be home page featured?  :happy:

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: January 19, 2017, 07:56:49 am »
Hey Grimlock, is there any sort of estimate on when v1.20 would be released? Would we expect it before January is out, or maybe closer to mid- or end-February? Thanks again for all you guys' continued hard work.  :thumbsup:

All I can say is very soon.  All of the listed level design changes have already been accomplished.  Snarfblam is working on the listed ASM change as well as changing the starting (after dying) health from 30 to 99.  There's a few other items he's looking at as well.

While he's working on his ASM improvements I'm going to continue to add a few more goodies to the game.  :thumbsup:

Time wise I'd say very soon, definitely in January.  We're just fine tuning everything, nothing that should require extensive amounts of time.  I'll post an update soon.  :thumbsup:

Thanks again for all your feedback everyone, we appreciate it!   :thumbsup:

Sikkan

• View Profile
« Reply #973 on: January 19, 2017, 09:28:31 am »
I now remember what I miss.. That beeping sound when you're down to critical health! I know u removed it coz it's anoying but it really intensifies the feeling of being almost dead :p.

Just my 5 cents :)

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: January 19, 2017, 09:42:45 am »
All I can say is very soon.  All of the listed level design changes have already been accomplished.  Snarfblam is working on the listed ASM change as well as changing the starting (after dying) health from 30 to 99.  There's a few other items he's looking at as well.

While he's working on his ASM improvements I'm going to continue to add a few more goodies to the game.  :thumbsup:

Time wise I'd say very soon, definitely in January.  We're just fine tuning everything, nothing that should require extensive amounts of time.  I'll post an update soon.  :thumbsup:
Thanks so much, Grimlock. :) No rush! You all take your time.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 10:16:43 am by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #975 on: January 19, 2017, 10:46:17 am »
I now remember what I miss.. That beeping sound when you're down to critical health! I know u removed it coz it's anoying but it really intensifies the feeling of being almost dead :p.

Just my 5 cents :)

Maybe we should just have it beep like four times, once the player reaches less than 20 health as a reminder they are getting low.

Sikkan

• View Profile
« Reply #976 on: January 19, 2017, 01:36:18 pm »
Maybe we should just have it beep like four times, once the player reaches less than 20 health as a reminder they are getting low.
4 beeps? naah..keep it beeping ;) :D it can be pretty nerve wrecking if youre in a tough spot! :D

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #977 on: January 19, 2017, 04:12:49 pm »
5 beeps, just to be contrary.

keithisgood

• [DANGER ! ! ! ! ! ! ] [TERROR HORROR]
    • View Profile
    • keithisgood
« Reply #978 on: January 19, 2017, 06:02:29 pm »
Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for all your hard work. This is a truly exemplary NES game, period.

And contrary to some others, I LOVE how punishing the final area is. A real throwback to the days of "NES Hard."

Phenomenal work.

Celius

• View Profile
« Reply #979 on: January 19, 2017, 10:39:07 pm »
Excellent work! Downloaded and played through in one sitting. A few comments:

Spoiler:
1. I agree with others that the warp design in the Federation Ship is confusing. I only was able to get to the boss once I read some comments here and realized I should look for a warp point.
2. In the SMB secret world, there is a screen where there is a healing station underneath two coin blocks, with a small castle on the right. If you go up one screen, and then right one screen, I believe you wind up in a room with two bullet dispensers on the other side. When I tried to go back from this screen, I ended up walking off screen and into lava/poison material. I could only tell I was in a "poison" area because of the sound, and the fact that my health was depleting. I could not see my character, and I could not get un-stuck.
3. The part where you need to ascend through the lava to get the screen to scroll vertically is confusing. When I looked at the map, I figured there was something peculiar about that area, but it almost looked like I was going to go "behind" the room with the lava you ascend through (so it would have been a different screen, but the same square on the map).

Besides that, I think the music is great, the graphics are great, and it's a lot of fun all together. Great job!