News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Version 1.21  (Read 262879 times)

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" Work in progress
« Reply #640 on: October 29, 2016, 07:53:50 am »
I will try to PM a mod.

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #641 on: October 29, 2016, 03:31:37 pm »
Fine then :angel: well its gonna ready yet? (I'm still beta test translation project)
WebsiteYouTube
(My RHDN Inbox almost full)

Link

• Nintendo never dies.
    • View Profile
    • Retrogaming
« Reply #642 on: October 29, 2016, 04:35:34 pm »

Just incredible, I saw this kind of graphics in Batman (Sunsoft, NES) and Kage (Natsume, NES) but Rogue Dawn looks far better, this is what happens when someone works in a game just for the art, and the fun, and not for the money, like developers of Megaman 2 did, giving us a masterpiece.

I just cant waitto play RD!!

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 29, 2016, 04:50:42 pm »
and not for the money, like developers of Megaman 2 did
I think you just HAVE TO learn a history of MM2 development somewhere. I think it will be pretty interesting for you.
Or i don't understand what you saying :C Sorry :C

laputanmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 29, 2016, 10:14:54 pm »
I am unsure if it is too late to volunteer to beta test this but I would love to be on the list.  Perhaps even an early v0.95 or w/e release just so you have many more people that can test it out with a more 'polished' version later :)

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: October 30, 2016, 03:28:11 am »
Beta ROM distribution is now underway!  8)

EDIT 1: My apologies everyone, I rushed the dates in the PM (glanced too quickly at the calendar) the beta will close in one week which will be November 6th  

EDIT 2:  The beta distribution is complete!  Check your personal messages inbox for the Beta!   :)

The beta starts now and will end in one week (November 6th), please have all your feedback submitted on or before November 7th so we can work any issues during the week and release the following weekend!  Thanks for your help everyone!

Please don't PM me, you will receive a PM with instructions and my contact email address for this beta.  After you receive the PM please email me with your user name in the title so I know you're on board for the beta test.

Here's the distribution list:

(sorry if you didn't make the list, we're already well beyond my original limit.  We should have a final release VERY soon!)

If I told anyone previously that they could help but I missed you on the list please let me know!  :thumbsup:

Trax
Metroid MST
Mrrichard999
MiKh
Infinitys end
Dr Floppy
Christopher Taber
Smokemonster

RT 55J
MollyAncalime
Kei
SacredHooves
Mayo chan
SamplerInfo
RabbitBones
Tahazzar
AuroraxPhilic
Shinespark1983
QwaserTresa
advancedpillow

MegaManModelT101
John Enigma
cospefogo
chikadubi
J^P
hossbags2
Gamerhenky
Ziko
seanph
w7n
el seyf
tokyobatman
Ryan Williams
Link
Sikkan
bohdee
Marcondes
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 05:56:49 am by Grimlock »

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #646 on: October 30, 2016, 04:53:54 am »
(...)
Here's the distribution list:
(...)
cospefogo
(...)

Thank you, Sire.

Start playing today, just after weekly Sunday's barbecue!

Regards,
C.
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

Sikkan

• View Profile
« Reply #647 on: October 30, 2016, 08:33:20 am »
Oh, lord, I just had a few minutes to spare but initial gameplay is amazing! Love the gfx, love the music and atmosphere so far.

@Devs, do u have a bitcoin adress? I´d love to send something to show gratitude! :)

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #648 on: October 30, 2016, 11:11:24 am »
I don't understand :C We have to send you bug reports as we found them or we have to send one big report at November 7?
edit: is it ok to send you private youtube videos instead of pictures? Because for my opinion it's the best way to show the problem.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 11:57:06 am by chikadubi »

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #649 on: October 30, 2016, 11:31:51 am »
Yeheah! And don't forget to change RHDN Theme to Metroid :laugh: .
WebsiteYouTube
(My RHDN Inbox almost full)

Grimlock

• View Profile
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - \"Metroid - Rogue Dawn\" Work in progress
« Reply #650 on: October 30, 2016, 02:02:20 pm »
I don't understand :C We have to send you bug reports as we found them or we have to send one big report at November 7?
edit: is it ok to send you private youtube videos instead of pictures? Because for my opinion it's the best way to show the problem.

It would be best to just send one report when you get done with your testing.  On or before the 7th so we'll have time to correct any issues discovered.  If you find more stuff after you email us it's ok to email the additional info.  Private videos would be good also.   :thumbsup:

October 30, 2016, 02:04:17 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Oh, lord, I just had a few minutes to spare but initial gameplay is amazing! Love the gfx, love the music and atmosphere so far.

@Devs, do u have a bitcoin adress? I´d love to send something to show gratitude! :)

No, we don't but thanks for the offer, enjoy the game!  :)

Sikkan

• View Profile
« Reply #651 on: October 30, 2016, 04:16:22 pm »
I just had a thought. What makes this hack even better IMO is that your char wakes up from hypersleep and somewhat makes it lean towards the Alien-movies (well, sure, many sci-fi flicks have hyper/cryosleep but you know what I mean) and that makes it even more great, since those movies are about space, isolation, unkown territory and scary alien creeps that you have to blast away!

hossbags2

• View Profile
« Reply #652 on: October 30, 2016, 06:01:03 pm »
seems real cool so far. I am assuming there was no way to have a pop up window come up to let you know what weapon or item you just picked up.

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #653 on: October 30, 2016, 06:59:44 pm »
That water level...  :-X

Link

• Nintendo never dies.
    • View Profile
    • Retrogaming
« Reply #654 on: October 30, 2016, 09:18:04 pm »
Got it. Am playing Rogue Dawn and it looks far away I expected, incredible what a NES can or could handle, with just imagination and a lot of work. It looks like another game, nothing to do with the original Metroid who I know every corner and every secret way.

Congratulations, and let see what can I find in the next days, I have 2 questions:

1. If I dont find any bugs and finish the game, my report should be like "everything is ok"? or you Grimlock are sure that there are some bugs already?

2. I am an long time user of a retro gaming forum board in Argentina, called Retrogaming.com.ar (my nick is Link over there also) and I'm argentinian too, although I live and work in Colombia now, can I post the Rogue Dawn news in that forum? and maybe put some screenshots to make some hype? I have a lot of friends there so I want to share the news with them, NOT ROGUE DAWN ROM you gave me, I know nobody of betatesters can share anything, I just want to make a thread with the news about it, some captures and a link to this thread in Romhacking, can I?

Thanks Grimlock for your hard work and for the confidence chosing me, an old Metroid fan, a beta tester of your amazing game. Thanks.

el_seyf

• View Profile
« Reply #655 on: October 30, 2016, 09:44:12 pm »
Not disappointed at all. Well, Report is finished and sent out 8)

laputanmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 30, 2016, 09:59:24 pm »
It may be worthwhile after this rom mod is finished to work on a 'non-Metroid' version for public release like on Steam, GoG, and Humble Store.  Not only would it allow a much wider audience but it would also permit the game to become an original IP and help the devs branch out into game development.

Look at 'Retro City Rampage' (started as GTA demake)
Look at 'Freedom Planet' (started as a Sonic fan game)

So in a similar vein it might be worthwhile to give this one a go once the rom mod version is done.  It would also let your fans support you with more than just words.

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #657 on: October 31, 2016, 12:36:07 am »
My God, I can't believe the detail in the Rain Image. At first glance it almost doesn't look like an Nes Game.
You guys have really come a long way. Patience, Taking your time, This stuff really does pay off in the end. I'll keep that in mind for my projects. The excitement sometimes causes me to rush, but after seeing this project. Patients makes perfect.  :thumbsup:

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #658 on: October 31, 2016, 12:54:05 am »

1. If I dont find any bugs and finish the game, my report should be like "everything is ok"? or you Grimlock are sure that there are some bugs already?

2. I am an long time user of a retro gaming forum board in Argentina, called Retrogaming.com.ar (my nick is Link over there also) and I'm argentinian too, although I live and work in Colombia now, can I post the Rogue Dawn news in that forum? and maybe put some screenshots to make some hype? I have a lot of friends there so I want to share the news with them, NOT ROGUE DAWN ROM you gave me, I know nobody of betatesters can share anything, I just want to make a thread with the news about it, some captures and a link to this thread in Romhacking, can I?

If you don't find any issues that's fine.  Feedback on difficulty and such would be welcome.  If you'd like to post some info and images on another thread that would be ok, just don't post any images of the last area or anything else that hasn't already been revealed.

seems real cool so far. I am assuming there was no way to have a pop up window come up to let you know what weapon or item you just picked up.

That's correct, we used the original Metroid engine.   Creating a pop up window system would have been a lot of work so we decided to use that time for the other features that made it into the game.

Ziko

• View Profile
« Reply #659 on: October 31, 2016, 12:48:39 pm »
Just sent my final report in and I'm really stunned at how great the game played on nesDS with very little issues. I had to screen cap the bug I found on fceux though but it was a minor one so it won't break anything. The full game will be a blast!