News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Version 1.21  (Read 258303 times)

Ziko

• View Profile
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" Work in progress
« Reply #580 on: October 09, 2016, 12:35:11 pm »
Are you talking about today?

I wish but that's just wishful thinking. I hope maybe sooner rather than later because my favorite Pokemon hack got delayed about a month or so due to Sun & Moon's release and it probably won't be out until early December.

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: October 10, 2016, 04:36:20 am »
 :-\

I am never going to understand why people have this religious devotion to Pokemon. I just don't get it, I don't.

The night has been long, but Dawn is coming...

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #582 on: October 10, 2016, 02:22:20 pm »
Pokémon is pretty bland compared to real JRPGs.
Suggesting Pokémon isn't a real JRPG.

TheCardiganKing

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: October 11, 2016, 02:03:37 pm »
To the Rogue Dawn team: Other users are right. As it stands now, from what we've seen and from what you've discussed, this may very well be one of those defining, golden hacks a la Zelda: The Legend Of Link and Rockman 4: Minus Infinity. After some testing of the game I am sure I will be buying a physical copy as soon as I can.

I have been following this project since inception. I remember when the running sprite animation was getting worked out a year or two ago. I don't think any of us following your project anticipated how far the game changes would go. The art style, the animations, and new sub-menus make it seem as if you're pushing the limits of what the NES can do. I understand the wait and I know it has to be near perfect before release because once the ROM's out, that's it.

If you ever need another play tester, you got one right here  ;)

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: October 11, 2016, 05:18:55 pm »
you're pushing the limits of what the NES can do.
Until someone put something like Raspberry pi  into cartridge and made some crazy game for it from scratch - no one get's even close to the limits. Now it safe to say that there is no game or romhack that pushes the limits even of mmc5 mappper. And Rogue Dawn uses even mmc3. Sure it has some crazy unusual art style, but that's it.

And if you look for example at page 16 of this topic some features like mini map MAYBE make actual gameplay worst, because it "eats" sprites and / or cpu power that can be used for enemies.
Look at this:
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l247/grimlockarts/EV3_zpsyaf1vwmp.png~original
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l247/grimlockarts/EV6_zpsmyuecmsx.png~original
There is less enemies on screens with the mini map.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 05:29:06 pm by chikadubi »

Link

• Nintendo never dies.
    • View Profile
    • Retrogaming
« Reply #585 on: October 12, 2016, 12:56:43 am »
Meanwhile we wait for Rogue Dawn release, maybe someone could put AM2R into a blender machine and make a Snes rom that we all could play in an emulator or in a real Snes using some kind of flashcart?

AM2R is AWESOME!!! and I want to see it converted into a Snes rom before I die.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: October 12, 2016, 07:42:33 am »
^I would prefer if someone tried, and port AM2R to the GBA using the Metroid: Zero Mission engine.

It seems more fitting.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: October 12, 2016, 12:42:22 pm »
Yeah, except for that it is impossible.

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #588 on: October 12, 2016, 04:53:08 pm »
And if you look for example at page 16 of this topic some features like mini map MAYBE make actual gameplay worst, because it "eats" sprites and / or cpu power that can be used for enemies.

I don't believe the two are related. Grimlock has been refining enemy placement all along to improve playability (both in the general sense as well as in terms of flicker and slowdown). Changes to enemy placement would be made based on what makes the game most enjoyable.

It's true that the minimap uses up some sprites and takes some CPU time to render, but it doesn't seem to have any significant impact on slowdown, and the map actually renders with lowest priority so it will sacrifice itself instead of causing other sprites to flicker or disappear.

Testyourmine

• View Profile
« Reply #589 on: October 12, 2016, 06:56:34 pm »
Yeah, there is no reason to put AM2R into SNES or GBA. GBA is very implausible, and SNES just isn't needed. You would have to butcher something, such as the music. Also, so hype for Rogue Dawn.

Link

• Nintendo never dies.
    • View Profile
    • Retrogaming
« Reply #590 on: October 14, 2016, 02:34:21 pm »
Why Snes doesn't need a Metroid II remake? I dont like play games in the computer, actually I dont like PC games anymore since I grew up in my gaming tastes, I prefer consoles and the real controllers and on my old CRT TV, I prefer emulate Snes (or GBA) in the Wii, it works flawless and would be great to port AM2R to Snes using Super Metroid engine, sadly I dont know how to do that, otherwise I would be working on it already.

Metroid 1 (Nes) had a remake, a great remake in GBA, Metroid 2 is a great game, but in GB and b/w is boring to play, porting AM2R to Snes is the perfect solution to have a real complete Metroid saga with all games with beautiful graphics.

I was playing Metroid Zero Mission 3 weeks ago, and it looks great, but now I am playing Super Metroid, and the differences are enormous, graphics and feeling are greater in Super Metroid, so Snes could be the receiver of the AM2R port.

Who will be the first to attemp this? :P

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: October 14, 2016, 03:10:02 pm »
Why do so many people want something this pointless. Just buy a PC if you haven't got one yet.

Emulating stuff on a Wii?  :'(
Using a Wii controller to move Samus?!

On PC, you can use a real controller.

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: October 14, 2016, 04:09:30 pm »
If consoles have REAL CONTROLLERS, so then what a PC have? Unreal one? Actually if you want to have the best possible experience - you need a real SNES. There is only one good SNES emulator - "Higan". And it have noticeable input lag. So it can not be used for playing games

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: October 14, 2016, 04:24:48 pm »
higan is overrated garbage

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: October 14, 2016, 04:30:03 pm »
But classic test with Air Strike Patrol shows that it's not

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: October 14, 2016, 04:34:54 pm »
just keep drinking the byuu koolaid boyo

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: October 14, 2016, 04:37:39 pm »
Oh! Really good argumentation. This is really change my view.  ::)

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: October 14, 2016, 04:42:17 pm »
i'm sorry but any emulator focusing on being HURR DURR PERFECT ACCURATE LET'S ARBITRARILY DO STUPID ACCURATE STUFF AND FORCE MY OPINIONS ON EMULATION is terrible

I use SNES9X and damn the consequences.

chikadubi

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: October 14, 2016, 04:59:40 pm »
I don't say that emulation is terrible. I say that, at least with SNES, real console at this point is the best POSSIBLE choice. SNES emulation can't give you anything that can overcome inaccuracy. If we take a look for example at nes emulators - they can offer you overclocking, more than 8 sprites on scanline, changeable pallets and absolutely clean pixel perfect picture that you cant't have on real console with hardware ppu. Those features dramatically change nes experience in a good way. And what can offer you a snes emulation? Absolutely nothing! But real SNES console give you a 100% guaranty that games works as intended and you have minimal input lag. So what is absolutely the best possible choice here?

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: October 14, 2016, 05:00:38 pm »
an emulator that doesn't require a freaking quantum computer to run