News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Version 1.21  (Read 273875 times)

Sephirous

• View Profile
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" Work in progress
« Reply #440 on: August 17, 2016, 07:27:40 pm »
I figure do what ever you guys want. New sounds? Cool! New music? Cool!
You guys are surpassing what I am capable of, So hats off to you.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 17, 2016, 09:28:35 pm »
Rest assured everyone, the new sounds are very nicely done.  Optomon is an exceptional talent and is honestly one of the best at NES music and sound development.  The new sounds maintain the original feel you'd expect to experience in a Metroid game on the NES system.  Many of the iconic sounds remain very similar to the original (screw attack, bombs, weapons, so forth) but are enhanced to offer a uniqueness to this particular game yet still share a commonality with the feel of the original.  Remember everyone, this project wasn't designed as an extension of the original game like so many hacks, it's meant to be a whole new game based on the foundation of the original.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 17, 2016, 09:36:25 pm »
I totally trust you both!
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 17, 2016, 09:47:49 pm »
Honestly, the anticipation is killing me.

I think we're gonna get this hack by September.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #444 on: August 19, 2016, 05:51:26 pm »
Rest assured everyone, the new sounds are very nicely done.  Optomon is an exceptional talent and is honestly one of the best at NES music and sound development.  The new sounds maintain the original feel you'd expect to experience in a Metroid game on the NES system.  Many of the iconic sounds remain very similar to the original (screw attack, bombs, weapons, so forth) but are enhanced to offer a uniqueness to this particular game yet still share a commonality with the feel of the original.  Remember everyone, this project wasn't designed as an extension of the original game like so many hacks, it's meant to be a whole new game based on the foundation of the original.

You might be right, but I still want the option to use the original sound effects. I cannot say which I will prefer until I try them both. It should be very easy to simply make two .ips patches available. Please do that.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 19, 2016, 06:05:25 pm »
You might be right, but I still want the option to use the original sound effects. I cannot say which I will prefer until I try them both. It should be very easy to simply make two .ips patches available. Please do that.

How so? This game will be even more of a new game with new sound effects, and less of a hack. I love hacks that feel like a new entry in the series of the hacked game.
Secondly, if patches were to be made for every single person that doesn't like a certain aspect of the game, poor Grimlock will have no time for himself anymore :'(
'I don't like the heavy gravity, please make a lower gravity patch'
'Shitty music. I want a patch that reinserts the original Metroid music'
'Please, PLEASE, could you please make a patch that gives you the Wall Jump ability from the start?'
'Please, PLEASE, could you please make a patch that removes the Wall Jump ability from the game?'

BadChad

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 19, 2016, 10:21:34 pm »
I have to agree, we should just leave things as they are for now. All these alternate patches are just going to take away time from finishing the actual game, and all this "I want this, and I want that" tends to come off as a bit ungrateful. It's not up for us to decide. Let the game come out, and if there a great enough demand for these alternate patches, that's something that can be explored at a later date.

As for me, I'm perfectly fine enjoying the game exactly how the creators of this hack envision it. They've done fantastic work up to this point that I can see and I have no reason to doubt them. Keep up the good work. We're almost there! :beer:

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 20, 2016, 12:43:41 am »
It will need some modification to work on actual hardware though, and I believe Snarfblam is looking into that.

Oh good, hope that gets fixed.

Ziko

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 20, 2016, 07:04:52 pm »
I just finished a playthrough of Metroid mOTHER just to get some practice in for Rogue Dawn. Needless to say, the game was solid with all the patches but I didn't really use the mini map much as I have a copy of the complete map. I'll probably play another hack or two while waiting on this baby.  ;D

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #449 on: August 20, 2016, 09:04:24 pm »

He is right.

But, you know what? It doesn't matter if he's right or not. It's their project. They are the creators, and the result of whatever they choose to include in the game is their intention. What you "will prefer" is not a factor that should be taken into consideration on any level. What "the creators prefer" is the only thing that needs to be considered.

You aren't in a position to special order it. You are in the position to play it -or not- and are being extremely disrespectful by posting with such a sense of entitlement that creators should cater to you like they're taking your Burger King order. 

Sometimes folks around here seem to need a reminder that the work people do here, they do for free. They take away time from their families, their other hobbies, etc. to make these projects -unpaid- and then release them for free.

I appreciate your contributions to the retro gaming scene through your blogs, videos, etc. but you seriously need to step back a second and realize what you are doing and the effect it has on others, in particular those few who are actually producing new content for said scene.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #450 on: August 20, 2016, 09:09:01 pm »
Calm down, man. He isn't ordering it. He isn't being disrespectful. He just would like to see for himself. Although you're right (it's Grimlock's/Optomon's project), he isn't demanding anything from them.
About a month ago, someone was talking to me like this as well. I don't think you're helping the creators of this wonderful game one bit with this tough talk. :thumbsup:

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #451 on: August 21, 2016, 05:39:50 am »
Thank you for speaking up for me. Keeping the original sound intact isn't more work. Remaking all the sound effects is. Since the effort is being done to redo the sound effects already, I'm simply requesting the option to use the unmodified sounds. aka, the way the project would be before all this sound effect work is done. It isn't a demand, isn't unreasonable and isn't any work beyond simply not modifying the rom where the new sound effects would modify.

As I said, I can't say if I will dislike the new sound effects until I hear them. It very well could be that I prefer them over the original sound. But it could also very well be that I simply like the original sounds more and would rather play with them. This is no different from JRPGs that offer a dub or the original Japanese audio. Sometimes, dubs are superior. Sometimes they're not. Having the option there is always a benefit. So it is with rom hacks that offer a choice. Just look at Zync Oxyde's Roll-Chan series which they each offer a choice between Roll in her Megaman 1 outfit or her Megaman 8 outfit with all cutscenes also reflecting the clothing.

I'm requesting the choice, nothing more.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #452 on: August 21, 2016, 06:32:45 am »
The amount of work it would require is irrelevant. It's a matter of artistic integrity. If I were to spend x-amount of time on assets for a game, it's because I would want them to be included in the game. I certainly wouldn't approve of there being "an alternate version" floating around without my work in it because someone asked for it to be that way. To request a version without Optomon's SFX (especially before hearing them) is nothing more than a direct insult to Optomon, by showing a lack of faith in the work he produces, and to Grimlock, by showing a lack of faith in what he chooses to put in his game. I can't possibly imagine how anyone would view it otherwise.

This isn't a localization being dubbed or subtitled. This isn't some open, community-driven "improvement" to a game. This is an entirely new game being developed by a small group of individuals that happens to be built upon a dismantled Metroid ROM, and all the "can you make x-version patch to cater to my specific needs" posts here (not just for this project) are nothing short of disheartening.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 21, 2016, 07:27:38 am »
I think we should just wait for the hack to be released and get to hear the new sound effects. If you don't like the new effects, so be it. One thing you dislike. It's not trying to be the perfect game, or something. If you dislike the new effects, I guess you dislike Grimlock's vision of his game.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 08:31:03 am by Thirteen 1355 »

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: August 21, 2016, 08:22:34 am »
It's always up to the hacker to decide how the hack will turn out.

When someone post request for alternative patches - they are basically saying: 'please do the hack this way - for me'. Usually, those people know very little about hacking and are unable to make the alteration they want - THEMSELVES - AFTER the hack is released and available.

My suggestion is to decide for yourself and ignore all 'I want this and that to be optional'.

EDIT: Here is the tool you need to alter the sounds - to YOUR own liking (when it's released):
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/842/

/dACE
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 09:09:36 am by dACE »

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: August 21, 2016, 08:44:36 am »
Without feeling strongly one way or the other about Satoshi's request, I feel like someone should say that the General Rules of Thumb state that it is poor form to ask for work to be done for you, in any way, shape or form. The way the rule is phrased suggests that it is discouraged, but not forbidden, I think? Either way, jumping on somebody for forum rule violations seems poor form to me as well...I guess you could call me open-minded about the matter.

Why do people gotta argue their point so vehemently on the internet anyway? I mean, there's such a thing as heavy handedness with a message. I wish we could settle this matter of sound effect this or that and instead go back to getting hyped :D
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: August 21, 2016, 09:59:49 am »
Where's the Like button when you need it :laugh:

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #457 on: August 21, 2016, 04:14:55 pm »
I come quickly to the thread here every time I see an update.
This anticipation is killing me! Very very eager to play this brand new game.

It reminds me as well I need to play the GBA Metroids now that they work flawlessly on my OUYA emulators. Also, I need to complete Super Metroid one of these days. I did lock myself on a trivial part of the game and was not able to find a way out... never figured what to do.

Those internetless times were really THE DAYS.

Let's sit all together and share a nice red ale while we wait for this awesome project to get completed, right on the way the creators aim!
Cheers, guys.
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

Tater Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: August 21, 2016, 10:36:38 pm »
I am even more excited about the project. Revamping the sound will definitely make it feel like a new nes game instead of a hack of an old game.  :thumbsup:  :woot!:  :crazy:

Frederick Arte

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: August 21, 2016, 11:56:39 pm »
I am even more excited about the project. Revamping the sound will definitely make it feel like a new nes game instead of a hack of an old game.  :thumbsup:  :woot!:  :crazy:

Hi man! Grimlock is an awesome artist and I am following.
(excuse me if I use this opportunity to share my link: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2988/ , but I would be eager to give all I have done to a lively actor in the scene like Grimlock is as a contributor in a contribution spirit than just keep it for myself... more thought ;) )

Frederick
facebook.com/frederickarte (give me a like!)