News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Version 1.21  (Read 228187 times)

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" Work in progress
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2014, 11:27:01 pm »
Hey Grimlock, I sent over the Metroid Expanded ROM with the VRC7 mapper to your email. Dr.Floppy made it for me for the music so maybe it will help you out too :)

VRC7

The VRC7 with a post-processor for the FM synthesis.

Manufacturer: Konami
    Games used in: Lagrange Point, Tiny Toon Adventures 2

512k PRG / 0k CHR       H       VRC7 (85)

The VRC7 is a very advanced MMC chip from Konami, not only supporting bank switching and IRQ counting equivalent to the VRC6 but also containing a YM2413 derivative providing 6 channels of FM Synthesis audio. This advanced audio is used only in the Famicom game Lagrange Point; while the Japanese version of Tiny Toon Adventures 2 also used the VRC7, it does not make use of the extended audio.[12]

PhyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2014, 02:29:28 pm »
Love the look. keep it up.

I see you guys are looking to expand the ROM, well there was an awesome SMB3 dissambly just released. slap a Samus in-place of Mario and you'll have over double level height on vertical scroll levels instead of one screen height limit Metroid game engine has. same with horizontal scroll

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2014, 06:29:10 pm »
I see you guys are looking to expand the ROM, well there was an awesome SMB3 dissambly just released. slap a Samus in-place of Mario and you'll have over double level height on vertical scroll levels instead of one screen height limit Metroid game engine has. same with horizontal scroll

:huh:

odditude

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2014, 09:09:25 am »
Quote from: well-meaning but painfully uninformed guy
SMB3 supports scrolling in both directions, so why not rewrite Metroid from scratch to use of SMB3's engine? it's such a trivial change to make...

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2014, 06:53:07 pm »
SMB3 supports scrolling in both directions, so why not rewrite Metroid from scratch to use of SMB3's engine? it's such a trivial change to make...
If I didn't still have an intact anal hymen, it would've reknitted itself upon exposure to that gem.  :banghead:

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2014, 01:55:22 pm »
I love everything about this except for the super red power suit.

I know NES sprites can only be three colors, but take a look at how other Metroid 1 hackers have handled this.

I think your hack would be vastly better if you used the Powr Suit sprites and the color schemes from MDBtroid.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2014, 05:58:47 pm »
- You are not Samus Aran although your main character knows of her
With this in mind, it's okay for the suit to be red.

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2014, 06:45:28 pm »
If that's true, then why make the character look exactly like Samus, both without her power suit and with? You shouldn't just shift the color pallet of a character and claim they're a different character.

If the idea is to play as someone who isn't Samus, make them look unique! Simply coloring them three shades of red isn't enough.

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2014, 01:32:05 am »
I kinda disagree with satoshi. In a world where this sort of technology existed, not all designs would be drastically different. Thats game design as opposed to how it might actually be in real life. That said, I'd be fine with either. The sprite work in this is really impressive.

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2014, 03:12:56 pm »
In Metroid lore, Samus' Power Suit was made specifically for her by the Chozo, a race that were annihilated by the Space Pirates.

It doesn't make any sense that someone else would have a Power Suit, let alone one identical to Samus's.

So if the author of this hack wants the player to control someone who isn't Samus (which is a clever idea) the sprite needs to look totally unlike Samus.

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2014, 02:14:28 am »
It doesn't really need to follow any guidelines like that, tho. Comics expand lore like that all the time. I'm not sure why a romhack couldn't get away with it without it being cheesy or out of place, logically, but either way, I dont really think it matters that much. Many OFFICIAL games have gotten away with much more ridiculous ideas that basically breaks continuity so my thinking is that, if it even REMOTELY makes sense, its probably good enough to be a video game lol.

Tldr, in short, I see what you're saying but I dont really know if it matters that much. A metroid story should basically be telling you how you got somewhere and why. A lot of different types of stories can fill that void without being unacceptable, in my opinion. The structure for a metroid tale doesn't seem as rigid in my eyes as they seem to you I dont think.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2014, 04:47:03 am »
Actually, I seem to recall Grimlock telling me via PM that the armor sprite is not used in the game anymore, just the unarmored.

The only problem that comes up there is that even though it'd intended to be a dofferent character, it's still practically visually identical to Samus.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2014, 06:50:47 pm »
So if the author of this hack wants the player to control someone who isn't Samus (which is a clever idea) the sprite needs to look totally unlike Samus.

The only problem that comes up there is that even though it'd intended to be a dofferent character, it's still practically visually identical to Samus.

It already looks 1000 times better than the original and looks awesome to boot. Why is that not good enough? Did Mario look that different from Luigi? Did Billy look that different from Jimmy? Etc... You guys sure like to nit-pick. :P
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Mikh

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2014, 05:17:16 pm »
Honestly I can't wait until this is done. I'm very intrigued by this hack and wish I could play it now. There's something special about mods and hacks that seems to capture the feelings we had when we were kids and playing these games for the first time.

For example I remember shortly before my mother passed away I was about 4 and my mother would pick me up to go get sonic candy and watch a movie and when it was night time she would borrow the upstairs neighbors NES and the game they had was Metroid. I spent hours discovering new planets and killing unknown creatures with my mom in the background screaming USE YOUR MISSILES!!! and it's a moment that I keep dear to my heart. Obviously i can't relive those moments but with some hacks we can get that nostalgic vibe back.

anyway i ramble too much. But I can't wait till this is done!

PhyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2014, 09:00:30 pm »
There's something special about mods and hacks that seems to capture the feelings we had when we were kids and playing these games for the first time.

I know exactly what you mean here.

Mikh

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2014, 09:44:54 pm »
Someone should get together and make a mega list of the top Elite hacks and mods.

Hacks like Mother 25th Anniversary, MDTroid, Mario Adventure, and the awesome Zelda - The Legend Of Link. With screen pics and info to let ppl know these hacks are worth your time.

Obviously this Rogue Dawn Metroid hack will make the list.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2014, 10:41:58 pm »
Zelda - The Legend Of Link.

I didn't like this. I ran out of magic using the lantern in the first dungeon and couldn't find a way to recharge it. Also hit detection with the sword seemed spotty. It's a damn impressive technical achievement mind, but eh...

Mikh

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2014, 11:06:46 pm »
all you needed to do is buy the red lantern. You dont have to keep pressing the button with it

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2014, 04:39:45 pm »
It's been a busy month with the holidays so I haven't been able to keep up with this thread as much as I would have liked to.  Everyone involved with the production of Rogue Dawn is pretty busy with family activities (totally expected).  We'll be hitting it hard in January to bring the momentum back up to where it was the last few months.

Current state of development:
100% playable start to finish.
ASM modification in progress.

Currently working on MMC3 mapper set up, as well as modifying the Editroid editor to work with the new mapper.  With the expanded memory we will be significantly expanding game play features, player abilities, physics, music, level design, and storyline elements.

The power suit is not used in the hack as the main character is not Samus.  This is a prequel and takes place before Samus becomes a bounty hunter.  It is an attempt to fill in the missing details at the root of the series.  Why is Samus so obsessed with the Metroids?  Why does she feel responsible for their eradication?  How did the mother brain facility end up with the species on ZEBES? And why did Samus go to the planet SR388 in Metroid 2 to finish off the Metroids, how did she know to go there?

Exact details of the storyline will be released when it is finalized.  I can tell you that the similarities between Samus and this main character make complete sense as she is her sister, Dawn Aran.  Her own blood is responsible for the greatest threat ever faced by civilization.  There are two alternate story lines, the main character remaining a constant.  Was Dawn taken as a young child by Ridley when Samus and Dawns parents died?  Samus believing all had perished in the encounter, only to have her sister raised and taught in the ways of Ridley's culture of violence and hate?  Or did Dawn survive her parents death because she was only a toddler at the time on a distant planet.  Raised by  relative's, eventually following a career path with the Federation.  As an interplanetary investigator with federation law enforcement finally able to track down and investigate the death of her family discovers her sister alive and well.  Nurtures and mentors Samus in the ways of human civilization as she has been isolated and raised on the remote planet of Zebes.  Eventually Samus joins her amongst the Federation forces following a similar path.  Questions still surrounding the death of Samus and Dawns parents lead Dawn to overwhelming evidence that their parents where killed in a failed operation by a corrupt Federation government attempting to kill off their operative Ridley in an effort to wash their hands of him.  Discovering countless examples of corruption Dawn is driven to join a small separatist group on Zebes, a rogue operative.... the hate and rage trapped inside once directed to an unknown enemy responsible for her families death now turned on the Federation.  Was the Federation responsible for their parents death and an elaborate lie to cover it up?  Or is this an elaborate manipulation by Ridley to drive Dawn to do what they are incapable of doing, steal the newly discovered Metroid species from planet SR388....

Obviously the first version is much more simplistic and perhaps a better option for that reason.  The second option can be expanded and collapsed depending on where I want to go with it.  Either way the blood of Samus's family is at the root of the Metroid threat, the "Dawn" of the Metroid series.....

FYI per the official storyline Samus is in Federation law enforcement before she decides to become a bounty hunter.  The storyline of Rogue Dawn takes place before/and or during this transition.

This is still rather rough, input is welcome.  Storyline elements will be added in game and is still a work in progress.  Everything disclosed in the two story variations would entail what accorded just before the start of Rogue Dawn.  Either way you are working against the Federation, your mission being to acquire the newly discovered Species named "Metroid" by the currently scattered and nearly eradicated research teams on the surface of SR388 (same planet as in Metroid 2).

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:13:34 pm by Grimlock »

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2014, 08:21:23 pm »
Sister makes sense, instead of just another leggy blonde in space.