News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Version 1.21  (Read 277180 times)

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" Work in progress
« Reply #380 on: August 08, 2016, 03:06:28 pm »
But Crimson Echoes was popular.
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 08, 2016, 03:14:06 pm »
But Crimson Echoes was popular.

I was told that it was sabotaged by a disgruntled former team member. Otherwise, SE probably never would have noticed.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 08, 2016, 03:15:57 pm »
Anyway, an almost complete version was leaked.

And now there is Flames of Eternity, which is basically the same.

Crimson Echoes is probably the best hack I've ever played.

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #383 on: August 08, 2016, 03:17:36 pm »
And now there is Flames of Eternity, which is basically the same.

Shhh... It's a secret project.
WebsiteYouTube
(My RHDN Inbox almost full)

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 08, 2016, 03:38:04 pm »
S...sorry, mister!

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 08, 2016, 09:08:07 pm »
So I'm working on my readme file right now and I tallied up the total count of unique screens in the ROM:

The Original Metroid had 188

Rogue Dawn total unique screens:

Drum roll:
Spoiler:
726 unique screens   :thumbsup:

Note: Many of the screens in the original Metroid were spammed multiple times throughout the game.

EDIT:
Unfortunately. AM2R is really-really down by Nintendo. Rogue Dawn will be like this too?

Wow, that's a major downer!  Regarding Rogue Dawn I can't imagine Nintendo would care about a modified NES game.... 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 09:18:51 pm by Grimlock »

resq

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 08, 2016, 09:26:34 pm »
That sounds really great. Can't wait to get my hands on this. :woot!:
Come with me if you want to live.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 08, 2016, 10:32:35 pm »
...and I tallied up the total count of unique screens in the ROM:

The Original Metroid had 188

Rogue Dawn total unique screens:

Drum roll:
Spoiler:
726 unique screens   :thumbsup:

Note: Many of the screens in the original Metroid were spammed multiple times throughout the game.
:o *In Ron Simmons voice*DAMN! No wonder it took you this long to make this hack.

Rogue Dawn feels like a darker version of Super Metroid. Except that this is a NES rom hack. But who's complaining?

So @Grimlock, you said that you are working on the README letter file now. Does that mean that you'll be releasing the hack soon?

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 08, 2016, 11:28:39 pm »

So @Grimlock, you said that you are working on the README letter file now. Does that mean that you'll be releasing the hack soon?

Yea, we're still wrenching on that last 1 or 2 %.  We probably could have made the 30th anniversary date but we decided to add a few last minute extras.  The extras entailed some additional music, some more screens, a few more hidden Easter eggs, modifying the run animation (WIP), and probably the most awesome ASM addition to date.  The added time was well worth it!  The exrtas are close to done, some minor tweaking and a little ASM remains.  Snarfblam changed the run animation to a 1, 2, 3, 2 sequence but I still have to redo the graphics to make it look right.

We'll have to do some play testing soon also but I can't imagine that will take too long.  We'll be looking for a few more people to help test it out, I'll announce it when we're ready.

SageOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 09, 2016, 12:52:26 am »
Better make that release subtle otherwise Nintendo will shove a C&D up your ass just to promote their shit game.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #390 on: August 09, 2016, 07:06:26 am »
So what?

Then Grimlock quit making Metroid: Rogue Dawn, and suddenly releases his own OP: Rogue Dawn.

I mean, Samus isn't even the main character. Those weird life-force sucking creatures are just little references :)

xeronut

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 09, 2016, 10:43:19 am »
Better make that release subtle otherwise Nintendo will shove a C&D up your ass just to promote their shit game.

I mean, Samus isn't even the main character. Those weird life-force sucking creatures are just little references

Ironically, this would be the one thing Rogue Dawn actually has in common with Federation Force.

Seriously, any hype I have in FF is drowned out by Rogue Dawn.  I'm sure it'll be a very enjoyable co-op shooter, but the spark of interest just isn't there for me.

They should go the way of Valve and hire the RD team to make that 2D Metroid game everyone (actually) wants.

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
WebsiteYouTube
(My RHDN Inbox almost full)

resq

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 09, 2016, 09:30:25 pm »
Yea, we're still wrenching on that last 1 or 2 %.  We probably could have made the 30th anniversary date but we decided to add a few last minute extras.  The extras entailed some additional music, some more screens, a few more hidden Easter eggs, modifying the run animation (WIP), and probably the most awesome ASM addition to date.  The added time was well worth it!  The exrtas are close to done, some minor tweaking and a little ASM remains.  Snarfblam changed the run animation to a 1, 2, 3, 2 sequence but I still have to redo the graphics to make it look right.

We'll have to do some play testing soon also but I can't imagine that will take too long.  We'll be looking for a few more people to help test it out, I'll announce it when we're ready.
That sounds really amazing and I'm sure it will be worth the wait. I'm really glad the developers have decided to take their time and add in these extra tweaks. :thumbsup: I'm particularly interested in hearing the new music.
Come with me if you want to live.

Link

• Nintendo never dies.
    • View Profile
    • Retrogaming
« Reply #394 on: August 10, 2016, 01:00:46 am »
Seeing what happened with AMR2, please Grimlock, am begging you, when Rogue Dawn its finished, please please share the download via PM to your fans and long waiting Metroid gamers like me and all here, before posting the pathc in public.

I cannot even think if the big "N" comes here and screws up all. In cannot manage this...

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 10, 2016, 04:56:08 am »
Some speculate that Nintendo did not issue any C&D to the AM2R - but waited until released before shutting it down. This way the game could be enjoyed and Nintendo could protect their interests as well.

/dACE

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 10, 2016, 05:40:56 am »
It's all a similar scenario to what happened with the Streets of Rage remake. Long development time, the company who owns the IP seemingly not knowing or caring one way or the other (Sega even gave their blessing to release the remake as long as it wasn't sold for profit), then suddenly going "no you can't do this" as soon as it was released. In both cases, the releases were relatively high-profile and got some decent attention, which is probably what forced the companies' hands.

There was a My Little Pony fangame that had something similar happen as well.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 10, 2016, 06:00:36 pm »
Well, technically this is going to be a patch file.  No content owned by Nintendo will be distributed.  The content of the patch is really the property of myself, Snarfblam, and Optomon.  It is our works that will be released to the public not Nintendo's.  The individual with the ROM file is responsible for the legality right or wrong for having, and modifying the ROM.  I can tell you I personally own the original game cartridge as well as a stack of other NES cartridges.

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 10, 2016, 06:11:28 pm »
Seeing what happened with AMR2, please Grimlock, am begging you, when Rogue Dawn its finished, please please share the download via PM to your fans and long waiting Metroid gamers like me and all here, before posting the pathc in public.

I cannot even think if the big "N" comes here and screws up all. In cannot manage this...

ips patches and such are a whole different beast from a full executable.  That said, the moment Mother 4 comes out, I'm downloading that shit.  The biggest issue I have is that the linux version wasn't released at the same time.  Again, not an issue for hacks.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 10, 2016, 06:40:47 pm »
Mother 3 is the ultimate game.

Even if Mother 4 becomes the ultimate fan game, it will never top Mother 3. So, in my opinion, not worth playing.