News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Version 1.21  (Read 277276 times)

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" Work in progress
« Reply #340 on: July 08, 2016, 06:03:29 pm »
Well Grimlock just nina'd me, but I'll post this anyways.

If "Rogue Dawn" is gonna have a save system, how will that work?

It's the same saving system as in Metroid+Saving or mOTHER with some under-the-hood changes to accommodate differences between Rogue Dawn and the original game. The save system has three save files which each basically automatically remember and enter the password for you. That's a bit of a simplification, but the bottom line is when you die or manually invoke the saving menu the game remembers your equipment, your health, which red doors you've opened, and which area you're in. When you resume your game you'll spawn at the elevator at the beginning of the area.

Any time the original game would have prompted you with a password, Rogue Dawn will prompt you with a save menu. The button combination to access the save menu has been tweaked to make it a little more convenient (you won't need to have a second controller configured).

I hope this hack would be released before I die of old age :C

I also hope this hack is released before I die of old age.  :D

It's almost there. At this point, each day that goes by equates to bugs being squashed, things being tweaked, or last minute goodies being worked in. Good things come to those that wait. Better things come to those that wait a bit longer!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 06:17:18 pm by snarfblam »

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 08, 2016, 08:37:56 pm »
^Thank you, @snarfblam and @Grimlock.

Okay. Now I only have one final question related to the hack, considering that the hack will soon be released to the public.

Will the game have a status image for Samus, just like in the modern 2D Metroid games, every time you pause? I ask this, because this would seem like a nice feature for the first Metroid. Because every time you pause, you don't do anything. The game just does that: it pauses. Kinda like almost every NES game (like Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong, etc.).

That being said...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>OH MY GOD!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I can't believe that this hack is nearing completion!

Is a great day to be a living Metroid fan!

I say this because this hack, and the Metroid 2 Remake for PC, are gonna keep me busy for quite a while. I mention the Metroid 2 Remake fan game, because just recently, they put a countdown leading to the release of the game, after all these years.

No joke!

Is like this has become a race of who releases their projects first. Coincidence? I have no idea!

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 08, 2016, 11:16:18 pm »
I believe It's because Metroid was released on August 6, 1986, which is 30 years ago almost exactly. The anniversary is a celebratory and memorable release date :)

SageOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 09, 2016, 04:42:24 pm »
^Thank you, @snarfblam and @Grimlock.

Okay. Now I only have one final question related to the hack, considering that the hack will soon be released to the public.

Will the game have a status image for Samus, just like in the modern 2D Metroid games, every time you pause? I ask this, because this would seem like a nice feature for the first Metroid. Because every time you pause, you don't do anything. The game just does that: it pauses. Kinda like almost every NES game (like Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong, etc.).

That being said...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>OH MY GOD!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I can't believe that this hack is nearing completion!

Is a great day to be a living Metroid fan!

I say this because this hack, and the Metroid 2 Remake for PC, are gonna keep me busy for quite a while. I mention the Metroid 2 Remake fan game, because just recently, they put a countdown leading to the release of the game, after all these years.

No joke!

Is like this has become a race of who releases their projects first. Coincidence? I have no idea!
Fingers crossed that Nintendo doesn't shut them down. I have no idea if they have been hassled yet, but for the love of God that will actually get me to play through that game.
Also hyped to shit over this hack. 30 years of Metroid will be celebrated properly by fans because we all know that Nintendo is probably just going to release some virtual shirt you can buy for your fucking Miitomo Mii on the exact day. Also that shitty 3DS game they have in the works.

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 09, 2016, 07:18:50 pm »

Will the game have a status image for Samus, just like in the modern 2D Metroid games, every time you pause?

No, but you'll have access to a scrollable map when you pause.  It's larger than the corner map and allows you to look at adjacent areas, very useful when you want to plan your route or if you get lost.

There wouldn't be any point in turning items on and off like in SM so a status screen would be more cosmetic rather than offering any real functionality.  Time was better spent elsewhere.

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #345 on: July 10, 2016, 02:50:31 pm »
 Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 04:11:53 pm by FCandChill »

Sephirous

• View Profile
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - \"Metroid - Rogue Dawn\" Work in progress
« Reply #346 on: July 10, 2016, 10:54:44 pm »
This is pretty cool,

A game that takes place before the first Metroid?

I'm curious to see if in the story and such, If we find out why she left the Galactic Federation.

I look forward to playing this once it is released.  :thumbsup:

July 11, 2016, 12:10:58 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Now and days,

The only good games that come out are by the fans.  :thumbsup:

Nintendo Etc.......What the hell happened to you guys.  :banghead:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 12:10:58 am by Sephirous »

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 11, 2016, 05:57:50 pm »
Quote from: Thirteen1355 on June 10, 2016, 08:39:54 PM
"Could you give us some more details about the story of the game?
I really like the idea of the Fed. Force actually being corrupt, and even working with Space Pirates/evil monsters sometimes."

Quote from: Grimlock
"Well I've since modified the story in an effort to allow a more seamless integration with the official Metroid series.  I'll try and post some details soon."

Are you still going to post more about the story? Or is the story not definitive yet, and have you decided to leave it for when we actually get to play the game?
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #348 on: July 13, 2016, 10:52:07 pm »
Impressive hack eh? It reminds me Castlevania: Chorus of Mysteries (The infamous Castlevania hack ever). Should we play it after every bug squashed? Hope don't get shut down by Nintendo.
WebsiteYouTube
(My RHDN Inbox almost full)

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 14, 2016, 10:21:06 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_gnwn535eM
Nintendo doesn't take down most stuff...

Chorus of Mysteries was co-created by Optomon as well as this one.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 04:09:01 pm by Thirteen 1355 »

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 15, 2016, 07:03:20 pm »
Impressive hack eh? It reminds me Castlevania: Chorus of Mysteries (The infamous Castlevania hack ever). Should we play it after every bug squashed? Hope don't get shut down by Nintendo.

Is there going to be custom music in this hack as well?

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 15, 2016, 07:06:47 pm »
Yes, there is.

resq

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 15, 2016, 07:27:26 pm »
 I will go out on a limb and say that this hack will probably be the greatest hack in all of NES hacking history. Amirite???

Yes I have to chime in with the other game players who have submitted their concerns about the map. If I'm going to choose in some kind of Disney Land wonder world where people live what they wish then yes I would prefer to not have a map on the screen and maybe only  have the map shown on the pause screen. This seems perfectly acceptable because I don't want a map on the main game screen telling me where to go. I want to have to figure it out for myself. That's part of the fun of the game. I'm sure some game players agree with me on this.

The pause map is amazing but the in game map screen is unnecessary.

Remove it or make a patch that removes it please.

;D
Come with me if you want to live.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 15, 2016, 07:31:59 pm »
I will go out on a limb and say that this hack will probably be the greatest hack in all of NES hacking history. Amirite???

Add Wilford Brimley to the game and that statement will ring true.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

resq

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 15, 2016, 07:48:23 pm »
Add Wilford Brimley to the game and that statement will ring true.
No. No. I'm sorry but I am conflicting inside of your universe.

There is no universe where Wilford Brimley fits inside of the Metroid sphere. Not here not in a thousand years.

I'm sorry but Wilford Brimley will have to stand on the sidelines and eat Burger King or Wendy's.
Come with me if you want to live.

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 15, 2016, 08:25:08 pm »
missingthejoke.png

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 15, 2016, 08:58:54 pm »
Clearly what he means is that they should add Naked Headless Mario instead.

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 16, 2016, 01:28:58 am »
The corner map doesn't tell you where to go, it only shows what the path does in the next screen in any given direction.  It doesn't show item placement either.  Bosses are not marked, nor are healing stations.  The pause map is more revealing since it shows what the path does multiple screens over and you can freely scroll it with the directional pad.  I think people are making a bigger deal about the map than is warranted honestly, consider it (corner map) a scanning device she has that scans the structures in the immediate area.  The corner map can easily be disabled by painting the associated tiles with transparency (color slot 1 in TLP)

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #358 on: July 16, 2016, 11:58:22 am »
The corner map can easily be disabled by painting the associated tiles with transparency (color slot 1 in TLP)

This. Note that having the map "there but invisible" will not incur any graphical consequences. It's always drawn with the absolute lowest priority.

That said, since this request has come up more than once, I wouldn't mind looking up exactly what would need to be tweaked to disable the map properly in order to free up some cpu cycles as well. Difficulty: the bytes to change can potentially move around with each build, so the hex tweak will be different for any revisions that might be released.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 16, 2016, 12:32:31 pm »
^ I'm still with the idea that the mini-map should be moved to the top right corner like in the modern 2D Metroid games (Super Metroid, and the GBA Metroid games).

Is not that I don't like it right now. Is more or less for the fun of it.