News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Version 1.21  (Read 250032 times)

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" Work in progress
« Reply #180 on: September 21, 2015, 07:22:05 am »
Anything playable yet? Looking great.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 21, 2015, 08:05:22 am »
Anything playable yet? Looking great.

Absolutely, most areas are 100% complete.  There's a limited number of screens left to build (in final area) and a few ASM items that affect gameplay that are required to do any real play testing.  Also I would like to get the map system 100% up and running so our play testers don't get lost too much (this is an exploration game).

ginbunbun

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 21, 2015, 08:41:26 am »
I have been watching this project for a while. Every time I see an update I get all bright eyed and excited like 10 year old me the day before Christmas. It looks absolutely stunning. Its like a completely different game. I can't wait to sink my teeth into it. Do you know if it will be compatible with the Everdrive N8? I would love to play this on real hardware.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 23, 2015, 09:29:19 am »
I have been watching this project for a while. Every time I see an update I get all bright eyed and excited like 10 year old me the day before Christmas. It looks absolutely stunning. Its like a completely different game. I can't wait to sink my teeth into it. Do you know if it will be compatible with the Everdrive N8? I would love to play this on real hardware.

Thanks, I hope everyone thoroughly enjoys the game once it's done.  Regarding the Everdrive N8 and probability of working on real hardware I can't imagine a better person to test it out than Christopher Taber of Analogue Interactive http://www.analogueinteractive.com/.  If you haven't heard of Analogue Interactive check them out, they make the Analogue Nt as well as some other amazing products.  We'll have a definitive answer as to how it functions on real hardware at the time of release.

contra

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 09, 2015, 11:26:47 pm »
If this plays even half as good as it looks we're in for a treat because it looks absolutely amazing!

Have you commented on the difficulty at all? I know some people enjoy savestating their way thru hard-type hacks but I far more enjoy hacks that's on par with the originals so heres hoping you keep it in line with the other 2D metroids.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 10, 2015, 12:16:59 am »
Works on Xbox EMUS :D

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 11, 2015, 09:20:24 pm »
If this plays even half as good as it looks we're in for a treat because it looks absolutely amazing!

Have you commented on the difficulty at all? I know some people enjoy savestating their way thru hard-type hacks but I far more enjoy hacks that's on par with the originals so heres hoping you keep it in line with the other 2D metroids.

Save states won't be necessary in my opinion.  I feel that the difficulty is well balanced.  I would say that it is slightly more difficult than the original.  Some areas will be fairly easy while other will present a greater challenge.  The new heal stations coupled with the new abilities should create a well balanced experience.   I would say the difficulty is between Metroid 1 and Super Metroid in that it is more difficult than Metroid 1 but not as difficult as Super Metroid.  The complexity of the level design (Puzzles and hidden areas) falls comfortably in between the two games as well.  It's definitely in line with the other 2D Metroids.  I've put heavy thought into the player experience while designing the areas, for example you'll find that I have designed the game as a whole to avoid making players back track over large distances when areas are completed and items are acquired.  For speed runners I have included shortcuts and alternate routes if they want to cut corners and shave time off.  There's a number of secrets throughout the game as well including some Easter eggs.

Here's the current proposed title screen, I'm going to tune it up a bit more next week before calling it done:

contra

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 11, 2015, 10:03:59 pm »
Thanks for the reassurance, that's great to hear! This definitely has the potential to be one of the best NES hacks ever. Can't wait to play it.

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
Metroid Hack that makes me rock hard!
« Reply #188 on: October 11, 2015, 10:44:47 pm »
*Pulls out a guitar solo*
I'd so play a Metroid game that had a more metal/gritty soundtrack like that, even if it was just something I had to do on my end.

The screenshots have me drooling like crazy.  Any chance of an unlisted YouTube Video that you can share the link for?

I would highly recommend switching this to MMC5 if possible and utilizing those advanced features in order to deter 'carters' from making money from this.  In addition, I'm sure that many others on this forum can have ways of making the hack 'hardware-incompatible' through various methods (custom chips that are emulated already but physical necessary to have this work on real hardware, etc).

One particular forum member has been converting many older games (including the NES Metroid) to MMC5 already so you won't even have to manually convert it yourself.  The main issues would be using what you have and transferring it to the MMC5 version.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 12, 2015, 09:46:16 am »
The original MMC1 has already been converted to MMC3.  The editor is designed around the MMC3 mapper so it would probably introduce some complications and unexpected results if we tried to convert yet again to MMC5.  Also we're so close to being done we wouldn't have an opportunity or need to utilize the additional features of the MMC5 mapper.

Current state of development:

Level Design/in game graphics complete
Music easily over 1/2 to 3/4 done
ASM modifications probably only have 5 to 10% remaining

Other remaining items:

Title screen integration
End game graphics and text
Ending credits edit
Touch ups and changes after beta play test (starting as soon as ASM and music is done)
Minor punch list completion (has about 4 items on it)

zuzma

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 12, 2015, 11:31:37 am »
Did you improve the running animations since the MMC1 demo? Just curious because I think it would make a huge difference. It looks a bit unnatural when she's moving around unless that's some kind of limitation of metroids engine.

Maybe an animation like this, i dunno. I know it's not a running animation either

Edit: Then again I'm no artist either and really it is one of the best looking nes hacks I've ever seen
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 12:49:34 pm by zuzma »

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 12, 2015, 04:20:30 pm »
Did you improve the running animations since the MMC1 demo? ........ unless that's some kind of limitation of metroids engine.

Metroid has a limited number of player animation frames (as well as a limited number of tiles available to produce them).  I do plan to review the player graphics before the final release, mainly to touch it up and possibly make a few changes.  The NES unfortunately isn't capable of high frame animations like the SNES or GBA that other 2D Metroids benefited from.  Basically we're just trying to do the best we can within the NES limitations.  Ideally we'd like to stay within the limitations of the NES so people can enjoy the game on their Everdrive N8 or other compatible flash cart on original hardware.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 12, 2015, 04:36:53 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:08:55 pm by Chpexo »

zuzma

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 13, 2015, 12:56:36 am »
Metroid has a limited number of player animation frames (as well as a limited number of tiles available to produce them).  I do plan to review the player graphics before the final release, mainly to touch it up and possibly make a few changes.  The NES unfortunately isn't capable of high frame animations like the SNES or GBA that other 2D Metroids benefited from.  Basically we're just trying to do the best we can within the NES limitations.  Ideally we'd like to stay within the limitations of the NES so people can enjoy the game on their Everdrive N8 or other compatible flash cart on original hardware.

Oh no wonder, I thought since you changed mappers you could do more with it which was naive of me.  But yeah if that's from the nes limitations it's damn impressive. I love your use of the black background and use of the limited color palette on everything. It really gives the illusion of more detail especially on the ground. Also I wish someone would find a way to make a cheaper nes flashcart lol. I'll probably end up playing on my 3ds which will be awesome since it'll be portable with good controls :D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 01:10:33 am by zuzma »

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 13, 2015, 01:57:01 am »
The 3DS sounds like a decent gaming option, you'll have to let us know how the game runs on it.  I use a Kindle Fire for most of my gaming these days.  Coupled with a decent Bluetooth controller it's a nice setup.  The best controller I've come across (for the Fire tablet) so far is by 8bitdo:

http://www.8bitdo.com/

I have the NES30 right now which works great for most emulators and is fully compatible with the Fire tablet.  It doesn't have enough buttons for N64 games but they make a NES 30 Pro version that has enough buttons that looks promising.

zuzma

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 13, 2015, 07:08:00 am »
Those controllers are really slick looking actually, hrm and I do have a nexus 7 2013. I'll be sure to let you know how it runs on a 3ds too. I'm sure it wont win any awards for emulator accuracy but I'll at least compare it to something running in a better emulator like nintendulator or punes to make sure it's not doing something to completely ruin the gameplay.

Mikh

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 13, 2015, 09:20:59 am »
Not to be annoying, but can you release a small preview video? None of us have even gotten to see the slope detection in action :)

Here shortly once I get the green light from grimlock I'll be making some trailers for this game.

PKstarship

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 13, 2015, 01:00:40 pm »
Here shortly once I get the green light from grimlock I'll be making some trailers for this game.

Awesome! Also, I was wondering, will the ending be changed very much? I don't want spoilers, but because this hack feels more story-driven, I wonder if the ending is changed from NEStroid.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 13, 2015, 02:48:29 pm »
Awesome! Also, I was wondering, will the ending be changed very much? I don't want spoilers, but because this hack feels more story-driven, I wonder if the ending is changed from NEStroid.

The ending is a work in progress.  It will be different than the original since it's a prequel.  I'm trying to decide between a few variations...

SpiderWaffle

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 13, 2015, 06:36:37 pm »
keeps switching graphics in and out of the PPU to give the sprite more frames.

That would be sweet, be curious to see what code it took to do that and if there's draw backs, sounds like it could be a hard execution stack challenge. Maybe a cool edition to editroid down the line.

Another way I've seen is to modify the cycles, still only using 3 frames, but instead of 1,2,3 looping you could do something like 1,2,1,3,2,3.  I think someone actually did basically just that for metroid already on this forum, but maybe with LUA.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 06:02:15 am by SpiderWaffle »