News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Version 1.21  (Read 262410 times)

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" Work in progress
« Reply #120 on: June 02, 2015, 09:04:05 pm »
That's interesting, you wouldn't be able to adjust the channels mid track though right, without some engine modifications?
It would require some modest engine modification, but it's totally doable. One can even adjust the volume mid-note! (Such was necessary for Legend of Iowa's rendition of "Sandstorm".)

My knowledge of sound engines is limited.  I can modify the tracks but that's about it.  I'm sure the Zelda sound engine was just as limited as the Metroid sound engine, how did you go about editing the music?  Did you modify it strictly with a HEX editor?
Pretty much, yeah. I tweaked the engine a bit in 2009 to allow for song-specific Pulse Channel timbers & volumes, and also to allow selective-segment repeatition in the Pulse Channel data. I went back in 2014 and revamped it even further to enable mid-song/-note timbre/volume updates, selective repeats for the Noise channel, up to 32 unique note-durations per song and a special JUMP command to allow song data to exceed 256 bytes. I also updated the frequency table such that $C4 gives me the note C in Octave-4, etc. (That last bit makes data-correction SO much easier.)

Snarfblam put together a nice little track editing app called "Metroid Tuner" that helps speed up the editing process vs HEX editing.  You still have to modify each note individually with a text based interface but it really shines when you have to make changes.  Also once a song is written it can be shared with other projects or moved to a different bank in the game via copy/paste.  There's probably a lot more he could do with the app if one of RHDN's many sound engine experts teamed up with him to expand the app.  Maybe expand it to be user customisable to work with multiple games?
That would be fuckawesome! I'd be totally up for such a project, time/schedules-permitting.

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2015, 02:33:25 pm »
I posted this over at the Metroid Construction Forum earlier today and figured it would be interesting enough to share at RHDN too:  :D

I just did a count of the number of screens in R.D. vs vanilla M1:

Brinstar:   M1: 46    RD: 93
Norfair:    M1: 45     RD: 159
Kraid:      M1: 36     RD: 155
Ridley:     M1: 41     RD: 78
Tourian:   M1: 20     RD: 98

Totals:     M1: 188    RD: 583

I hadn't compared previously so I had no idea how vastly expanded this hack was compared to the original.  Of course to be fair a lot of the M1 screens are used multiple times so it doesn't give a full picture of the size of the areas.  What it does show is the number of unique screens in R.D. vs the original M1.  Every screen in R.D. is original and unique.  When I have time I'll count the actual in game screens in M1 and do another comparison.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2015, 09:24:46 am »
I posted this over at the Metroid Construction Forum earlier today and figured it would be interesting enough to share at RHDN too:  :D

I just did a count of the number of screens in R.D. vs vanilla M1:

Brinstar:   M1: 46    RD: 93
Norfair:    M1: 45     RD: 159
Kraid:      M1: 36     RD: 155
Ridley:     M1: 41     RD: 78
Tourian:   M1: 20     RD: 98

Totals:     M1: 188    RD: 583

I hadn't compared previously so I had no idea how vastly expanded this hack was compared to the original.  Of course to be fair a lot of the M1 screens are used multiple times so it doesn't give a full picture of the size of the areas.  What it does show is the number of unique screens in R.D. vs the original M1.  Every screen in R.D. is original and unique.  When I have time I'll count the actual in game screens in M1 and do another comparison.

Thats some serious roomage... Awesome work! :D

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2015, 11:32:03 am »
Yep, that's rain!!! 
8 frame 256 meta tile animation with splashing drops and animated water.

It's...raining. :| In a NES game?

That's...like...SNES style stuff. :| You just blew my mind
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2015, 03:20:02 pm »
Since the announcement of Federation Force - I'm looking forward to this game even more than before...

/dACE

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2015, 01:30:39 am »
Since the announcement of Federation Force - I'm looking forward to this game even more than before...

/dACE

Thanks, we're making steady progress right now on all fronts.  The level design is currently being modified to include Snarfblam's new slope detection setup.  Essentially when the player comes in contact with meta tiles with specific physics settings the slope detection system kicks in and adjusts the players movement accordingly.  It's fairly tricky to implement into the existing level design but progress is being made with phenomenal results.  Full implementation of the slope detection system requirements reviewing and adjusting every screen individually, currently over 500.  At the moment I have 2.5 areas of 8 areas complete and I just started working on integrating the slopes this week.  Each room is also getting another layer of polish as a result  so that's nice too...

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2015, 05:24:27 pm »
Will your game include soundtracks from Metroid Prime and Super Metroid?
I would love to hear renditions of them, like this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M7oleGXt8c

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 21, 2015, 11:40:00 pm »
Will your game include soundtracks from Metroid Prime and Super Metroid?
I would love to hear renditions of them, like this one.

That does sound pretty nice, it would fit nearly all of the areas.  I was hoping Optomon might chime in on your question (that's why the delay in response to your question), he's working on an all original soundtrack.  He's in charge of the music so ultimately he would have to make the call on bringing in renditions of existing music, there's some pretty sweet Metroid music to choose from if he wants to take things in that direction. 

BadChad

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2015, 01:01:09 am »
Optomon is one hell of a talented man! I'm sure the soundtrack will come out amazing whatever direction he decides to go in!

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2015, 10:32:24 pm »
Finally getting around to customizing the soundtrack. I did intend to do a fully original soundtrack. Might do a Metroid track if I hit a wall, composing for this game is a little different than what I'm used to. Some tracks that are actually somewhat in a finished state, not 100% where they'll end up in game though.

Track A

Track B

stuffgnome

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 11, 2015, 08:55:03 am »
Finally getting around to customizing the soundtrack. I did intend to do a fully original soundtrack. Might do a Metroid track if I hit a wall, composing for this game is a little different than what I'm used to. Some tracks that are actually somewhat in a finished state, not 100% where they'll end up in game though.

Track A

Track B

My grasp of musical jargon may not be sufficient to express my opinion but while those tracks definitely have alot of rhythm to them they don't have not melodious quality that I associate with Metriod games. In other words, I like something I can whistle to. For example, in the track that Thanatos-Zero linked to:
It starts out very rhythmic like yours but at the 1:10 mark it adds a certain melody to it that gives more depth to it, a sort of harmonizing quality. I don't mean to prattle on, I like your work so far but it seems to be missing something.

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #131 on: July 11, 2015, 02:07:40 pm »
Interestingly, the songs feel quite Metroid-esque to my ears. I'd like to see some visual gameplay associated to the music, to better see the blend between the two...

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #132 on: July 11, 2015, 03:26:19 pm »
They actually remind me of Link's Awakening. Good stuff.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 12, 2015, 01:17:08 pm »

Track A

Track B

Awesome feel to them man. Its a shame I can't make some of my old midis in Famitracker and expand upon them otherwise I'd attempt to help out. Unfortunately, this is all I have:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/hypnoticharmony/hypnotic-harmonys-music-jukebox

Villain of Ages sounds like it would work perfect for a Ridley-esc area. I actually had Metroid in mind when I made it more than a decade ago in 2003.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 13, 2015, 10:10:45 am »
Nice work Optomon!  :thumbsup:

The length of track B is impressive.  Both tracks suit the games theme well.

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2015, 01:23:29 pm »
There is still a TON of space left in the banks, so music length and complexity is virtually unlimited with what the Metroid engine has to offer.

Regarding the absence of melodic themes, you could be on to something there. This soundtrack is challenging from a creative standpoint, and has been making me go out my comfort box for sure. I have been taking a more organic, ambient approach to the soundtrack, though I am used to writing more conventional pieces that are melody driven, and it's been getting me into some trouble at times. I seem to be having success when I take melody out of the picture. So, I think the challenge is finding a way to incorporate a melodic theme into the development an ambient piece, or perhaps even building an ambient piece around a melodic theme.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2015, 10:01:02 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 08:09:24 am by Chpexo »

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 15, 2015, 06:34:25 pm »
Well I know I'm not too great at Famitracker. I mean I attempted this track thanks to inspiration from Optomon but I don't know how good it is. Kind of had more modern Metroid in mind like dialogue sequences.

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/498305/prologue.ftm

Just know this project and you Optomon inspired me to get into making stuff. :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:05:28 pm by johnny »

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 15, 2015, 11:15:43 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 08:09:03 am by Chpexo »

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 16, 2015, 01:12:18 am »
I had some trouble downloading it as well, I couldn't get the email to work. But now that I can hear it, that is a pretty nice loop actually. You could totally build a song around that.