News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Version 1.21  (Read 262409 times)

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" Work in progress
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2015, 08:04:06 pm »
Tested on my xbox with the NES emulator, works perfectly!

That was the MMC1 build.  We'll have to test the new MMC3 build once I get the last few areas done.  It'll probably be June when it's ready to play test start to finish again.  There's some pretty significant improvements over the MMC1 build.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2015, 08:11:04 pm »
Are you working with an experimental version of Editroid right now for the extra sections?

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2015, 09:01:25 pm »
That was the MMC1 build.  We'll have to test the new MMC3 build once I get the last few areas done.  It'll probably be June when it's ready to play test start to finish again.  There's some pretty significant improvements over the MMC1 build.

I volunteer for PowerPak testing.

Mister_Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2015, 11:07:04 am »
This looks awesome! Hope it's not too stressful getting this hack to work correctly.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2015, 12:16:19 am »
Are you working with an experimental version of Editroid right now for the extra sections?

Yea, right now I'm working with Snarfblam's version 6 of his pre-release for Editroid 4.0.  For anyone interested in the upcoming version 4.0 it's going be a very significant update.  It not only includes expansion to MMC3 built in but also an impressive number of additions and improvements.

lytron

• View Profile
    • pantalytron.com
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2015, 10:39:48 am »
Hi there! You've done a great job on this so far! Can you, may be, re-release the demo video with different/no sound? I cannot watch it here in Germany, because of the music. Speaking of music: Can you digitally release the OST of the hack somehow (bandcamp or soundcloud etc.)? I like to collect those, always nice to bring back the memories of a game/hack. Last question: Will you release the MMC1 version, too? Seems like it's a completely functional hack and that it will differ from the MMC3 Version in many ways.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2015, 01:36:50 am »
Can you, may be, re-release the demo video with different/no sound?

PM me an email address and I'll provide a direct download link. 

Speaking of music: Can you digitally release the OST of the hack somehow (bandcamp or soundcloud etc.)?

That's an interesting idea, I'll let Optomon answer that one. 

Last question: Will you release the MMC1 version, too? Seems like it's a completely functional hack and that it will differ from the MMC3 Version in many ways.

Most likely not, even though it was playable start to finish there was a lot of work remaining.  Title Screen, sprite work, additional ASM, graphics work, it's a long list.  Basically it was a play test for the level design and first round of ASM modifications, it still contained the original music so no OST. 

benjaminshinobi

• View Profile
    • benjaminsantiago.com
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2015, 08:45:20 pm »
As everyone has been saying this hack looks greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeat! I think it looks quite a bit better than 'roidz because of how many of the background tiles are mixed with black. It looks like a different game and is a nice place between metroid 2 and zero mission aesthetically.

I'm curious did you consider/look into adding animation frames? It was something I wanted to add in a hack I never finished but never really researched it. I'm not saying that as a critique of the hack, I'm just asking because you have a deeper understanding of the inner workings of metroid.

kpe

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2015, 06:48:18 pm »
I got new PCB boards in works if want game published it will be awhile working on sega/megadrive at the moment

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2015, 08:38:06 pm »
I'm curious did you consider/look into adding animation frames?

There's quite a few animations in this hack with many more planned.  From the pre MMC3 built there's several 4 frame looping animations in all of the areas.  With the new MMC3 animation system I've been working 8 frame animations into the new areas.  For a certain (top secret) effect I hope to work into the hack I may push the animation system to 12 frame.  You can see a few of the animations in the youtube video I posted a few posts back.

My first Metroid hack "Metroid Incursion" had several 4 frame animations.  The MMC1 animation system was added to the editor towards the end of it's development.  Metroid Incursion is an easy play beatable in about 1.5 hours.  Rogue Dawn is a far more extensive hack.

benjaminshinobi

• View Profile
    • benjaminsantiago.com
« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2015, 04:39:00 am »
ahh do you mean the animations for the lights and different elements like that? With those animations is it mostly a matter allocating space?

I'm referring to Samus and enemy animations. I know there is some documented dissaassembled source code out there, but I haven't looked into it, does changing the samus animation have a cascading effect through out the game (collisions etc)? Not wondering anything crazy specific, just curious.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2015, 11:20:54 pm »
I was surprised to find several thousand hits to my YouTube video today so I did some digging on the net to see where it was coming from:

Woohoo... Front page at Retro Gaming Magazine!  Actually I'm quite flattered by the attention Rogue Dawn is receiving, it's something that I wasn't expecting.   8)  ;D

Retro Gaming Magazine Front page:
http://retrogamingmagazine.com/

Retro Gaming Magazine article:
http://retrogamingmagazine.com/2015/05/19/metroid-to-receive-unofficial-prequel-rogue-dawn-on-nintendo-entertainment-system/

Here's another article at "Retro Collect":
http://www.retrocollect.com/News/unofficial-nintendo-nes-metroid-prequel-rogue-dawn-in-development.html

Article at "Nintendo Life":
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/05/unofficial_metroid_prequel_uses_the_original_nes_hardware_to_impressive_effect

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ahh do you mean the animations for the lights and different elements like that? With those animations is it mostly a matter allocating space?

Editroid (Snarfblams Metroid Editor) has a very slick animation system that allows the user to define various aspects of the animation setup.  It allocates the required free space for the animation.

I'm referring to Samus and enemy animations. I know there is some documented dissaassembled source code out there, but I haven't looked into it, does changing the samus animation have a cascading effect through out the game (collisions etc)? Not wondering anything crazy specific, just curious.

There was some discussion regarding the player and enemy sprites.  My understanding is that it would be a rather large undertaking due to original hardware constraints.  I believe it has to do with the system RAM limitation specifically.  Maybe Snarfblam can offer greater detail on what's required.  It would certainly be a pretty fantastic improvement to add additional sprite animation frames over the original but we may have to accept what the original design offers.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2015, 12:04:01 am »
Woohoo... Front page at Retro Gaming Magazine!  Actually I'm quite flattered by the attention Rogue Dawn is receiving, it's something that I wasn't expecting.

That's really cool. Bad part is, the more attention it gets, the more likely you are to receive a C&D order.

Don't want to be a downer though. I'm sure this game will be quite awesome once completed.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2015, 04:52:07 pm »
Bad part is, the more attention it gets, the more likely you are to receive a C&D order.

Well, let's hope we don't get the wrong kind of attention. Anyways, congrats Grimlock.  :thumbsup:

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2015, 07:55:30 pm »
It's been a while since I posted any new screenshots:

As always these are a work in progress and may differ from the final release.

Yep, that's rain!!! 
8 frame 256 meta tile animation with splashing drops and animated water.

Ancient Chozo/Metroid worshiper ruins

Ancient Chozo/Metroid worshiper ruins

But wait there's more...

I also want to announce that Snarfblam has recently made an impressive breakthrough with slope detection!!!  It's going to be truly remarkable when we get it integrated into the level design!!!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2015, 08:02:57 pm »
This just keeps getting better and better. :)
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2015, 08:30:45 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 08:59:32 am by Chpexo »

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2015, 11:24:36 pm »
This hack is going to be great! Those graphics are the quality of Batman: Return of the Joker but even better and complex.

EDIT: Also I would definitely check out Terminiator 2's for the NES music as well as Aliens 3 for the NES for some music that I think would suit this hack perfectly. You can reuse the music or borrow the style!

The Aliens 3 link didn't work.  The Terminator 2 music sounds pretty good, probably not spot on for this hack (close) but a lot of it sounds pretty futuristic/techy.  The Metroid sound engine is rather primitive and can't do volume changes in the music among other things.  It was an early NES title so it didn't benefit from the more advance features that came later.

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2015, 03:14:16 pm »
The Metroid sound engine is rather primitive and can't do volume changes in the music among other things.

Sound Engines can be tweaked. To wit, the volume of the two Pulse Channels is directly tied to the low-nybble of the value fed into $4000/$4004.

Just saying.  :cookie:

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2015, 08:45:39 pm »
Sound Engines can be tweaked. To wit, the volume of the two Pulse Channels is directly tied to the low-nybble of the value fed into $4000/$4004.

That's interesting, you wouldn't be able to adjust the channels mid track though right, without some engine modifications?  My knowledge of sound engines is limited.  I can modify the tracks but that's about it.  I'm sure the Zelda sound engine was just as limited as the Metroid sound engine, how did you go about editing the music?  Did you modify it strictly with a HEX editor?  Snarfblam put together a nice little track editing app called "Metroid Tuner" that helps speed up the editing process vs HEX editing.  You still have to modify each note individually with a text based interface but it really shines when you have to make changes.  Also once a song is written it can be shared with other projects or moved to a different bank in the game via copy/paste.  There's probably a lot more he could do with the app if one of RHDN's many sound engine experts teamed up with him to expand the app.  Maybe expand it to be user customisable to work with multiple games?