News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Looking for Megaman 3 music hacking info...  (Read 1929 times)

B.B.Link

• View Profile
Looking for Megaman 3 music hacking info...
« on: September 07, 2014, 02:19:48 pm »
So I've started a Megaman 3 project and I was wondering how to insert my own music for it?

I got 8 bit WAV tracks of UMVC3 music and I want to try and insert them into the ROM. I just need to know what tools, tutorials and such can get me going in the right direction to make this successful.

Also, any other Docs, threads and such on Megaman 3 hacking can help as well.

Thanks in advance.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: Looking for Megaman 3 music hacking info...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 02:37:42 pm »
Yeah, this isn't happening. I don't know anything about hacking music for Megaman 3 specifically, but if you compare the size of your wav files to the size of your megaman 3 rom you'll notice that one is dramatically bigger than the other. It'd be like trying to stuff one hundred pounds of hammers into a five pound bag.

If there are any utilities available for hacking Megaman 3 music - and I'm not saying there are - you'd need to re-sequence the music from the ground up in the limitations of Megaman 3's engine using those tools. If there aren't any utilities available, you'll have to reverse-engineer the engine yourself, and you'll _still_ need to re-sequence the music from the ground up so that it conforms to the limitations imposed by the engine.

B.B.Link

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 02:52:40 pm »
How about tutorials on how to copy music from one Capcom NES music engine to another, using Famitracker and such?

I've played MM3 hacks with changed music, I just want to know how they did it, no matter how difficult it is.

Sliver X

• EX•CINERIBVS•IGNIS•EXCITABITVR
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 03:36:25 pm »
Music and sound generation on older consoles have almost no standardization. Access to the system was done at the bare metal level so there were no standard APIs something like an OS or BIOS would provide like in later consoles.

Each developer had to create a custom "driver" to make the sound hardware do what they wanted. What this means is that depending on the programmer the way the sound waves are generated, data is stored, etc will vary wildly.

However, a lot of companies would either re-use their current music driver between games developed at the same time or do incremental upgrades and use that in newer ones. With knowledge of at least the driver's data format you can mostly transplant data between games that are like this, but it still typically requires lots of little manual fixes for things like pointer addresses, etc.

What you'll need to do is find the music data in Mega Man 3 and reverse engineer how the data is stored and dealt with (Having passing knowledge of music greatly helps), then either manually create new song data or do a transplant from another Capcom game using the same driver as MM3. The Code/Data logger in FCEUXD is great for this kind of thing, though doing real debugging would be faster and better if you know how.

Attempting to use Famitracker is not going to work, since Famitracker is its own driver and you'd either have to translate the resulting Famitracker data into the native MM3 format or implement the Famitracker driver in place of the existing music engine: The latter would be a far, far harder thing to do.

As a quick example of what dealing with NES music data is like, I wrote this document during preliminary work on a hack I was going to do ages ago.

Even the small amount of information you see there is enough to completely re-do any song in the game, so it's not a terribly daunting amount of data you'll need to figure out, usually.

kuja killer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 03:50:44 pm »
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=4583

here you go, but i have zero knowledge on composing music and sound. :( i wrote this guide many years ago, it's just about where all the songs and sound's data is located

that's all 'fraid