News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Romancing Saga 1 translation  (Read 118856 times)

CalacaBoy

• View Profile
Re: Romancing Saga 1 translation
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2014, 11:29:31 pm »
Thank you for getting back to me. Do you have an idea when the final version will be released?

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2014, 04:46:43 am »
Thank you for getting back to me. Do you have an idea when the final version will be released?

I'm not really sure. I was planning to play through one more time as another character, but I ended up taking a break to play other games. I think I'll just beat the game one more time and call it done, unless someone reports any new bugs.

It took me a while to play through the first time, and I ended up using cheats near the end just to finish it. I wanna beat it without cheating, but it'll probably take a few weeks to do it.

CalacaBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2014, 11:07:15 pm »
Has anyone posted up their gameplay footage of Romancing Saga 1 translation on YouTube? I'd love to see some of it.

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2014, 01:25:44 am »
Has anyone posted up their gameplay footage of Romancing Saga 1 translation on YouTube? I'd love to see some of it.

^ I'm with him. 

yuka

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2014, 06:17:02 am »
I would, but I'm playing on PSP and it wouldn't be very good with a webcam, I don't think I can capture footage directly from the system...

CalacaBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2014, 07:14:23 pm »
how are you playing it on a psp? I thought this a super famicom/super nes game?

I just found online if you have the PSP slim you can output the signal to a tv if you have the proper cables.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Portable
(scroll down midway)

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2014, 07:38:43 pm »
He's probably using an emulator. Younger people have been using more mobile devices to play ROMs over desktops.

yuka

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2014, 05:18:57 am »
Yeah, I have installed a custom firmware to play snes roms. And thanks for the compliment, but unfortunately I am not THAT young. I mean, 33 isn't that young.  :)

gadesx

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2014, 04:11:48 am »
I always use snes9x in pc for testing, about the cheats, depends of the game,
some codes can break the game.
For example with the High STR code in Illusion of time, when you're drifting away you kill the fishes and game's stucked.

ne7

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2014, 05:40:42 pm »
Just playing thru this, really awesome work, cheers for putting it together - enormous fun!
----
Check below in the spoiler bit for a little info on a bug I found in latest patch version (rs1_beta_110514_10.zip)

Spoiler:
a quick heads up - once I have Guella Ha (the lizardman dude) on my party and after rescuing the lizardmen hostages in Oapu I headed back to the Lizard Leader inside of the Jungle area and during his text congratulating me the screen went red and the tileset glitched out - getting in a battle fixed it, but thought I'd let u know :) I am in Gray's storyline (picked him as main char)

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2014, 01:49:38 am »
Just playing thru this, really awesome work, cheers for putting it together - enormous fun!
----
Check below in the spoiler bit for a little info on a bug I found in latest patch version (rs1_beta_110514_10.zip)

Spoiler:
a quick heads up - once I have Guella Ha (the lizardman dude) on my party and after rescuing the lizardmen hostages in Oapu I headed back to the Lizard Leader inside of the Jungle area and during his text congratulating me the screen went red and the tileset glitched out - getting in a battle fixed it, but thought I'd let u know :) I am in Gray's storyline (picked him as main char)

No problem, glad you're enjoying it. :)

Good catch, thank you! Looks like that bit of dialogue was running way too long without a break and overflowing the spot of memory for drawing text. I'll add in a fix for the next update (basically closing and re-opening the window).

edit: Actually, since it's been a month since the last update, I just put up a new version on the top post that should include the fix for that bug.

Also, as an update, someone's offered to review the translation for accuracy and editing. So I'd like to hold my second playthrough of the game after the updated script is put in the game. I hope those still waiting for a final release will understand as I ask for a bit more time.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 02:07:21 am by ddstranslation »

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2014, 08:44:26 am »
Anyone beta-testing as Gray should note though that upgrading to version _11 will most likely break your game if you return from Jelton via the boat, except if you are in late-game when the event is no longer available. There is always a risk of it breaking the game if you defeat a certain optional boss at Jelton island when playing a version prior to _11 (unless you have ~thoroughly explored the starting island without taking the first boat trip). With _11 new games started with Gray should be safe from this bug.

--

Are you going to add the Emerald in? If it has no effect, I guess it doesn't matter. But if you do, I can delay my going to that place until you add the tweak, just to cover if there will be bugs with (owning) it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 11:37:22 am by STARWIN »

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2014, 02:50:30 pm »
With _11 new games started with Gray should be safe from this bug.

I'm glad you said that because I was just about to start a new game!  :D

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2014, 11:39:37 pm »
Anyone beta-testing as Gray should note though that upgrading to version _11 will most likely break your game if you return from Jelton via the boat, except if you are in late-game when the event is no longer available. There is always a risk of it breaking the game if you defeat a certain optional boss at Jelton island when playing a version prior to _11 (unless you have ~thoroughly explored the starting island without taking the first boat trip). With _11 new games started with Gray should be safe from this bug.

--

Are you going to add the Emerald in? If it has no effect, I guess it doesn't matter. But if you do, I can delay my going to that place until you add the tweak, just to cover if there will be bugs with (owning) it.

I loaded up my old save to see how the whole Isle of Evil event plays out...

Spoiler:
Apparently, once you make it to the top of the tower and confront the bad guy, you get three text choices. But no matter which one you choose, he will run away from you and disappear.

I'm not quite sure what would be the best way to add in the Emerald, other than rewriting the scene. If it was added in, there shouldn't be any bugs in the game for owning it.

CalacaBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2014, 05:58:06 am »
Hi, I'm new to playing this game. I'm just getting used to how the menus work during battles. I'm wondering why during battles sometimes I cant use a weapon. I just hear a sound effect letting me know that it wont work. Then if I heal my characters up then the weapon is usable again??

yuka

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2014, 06:18:29 am »
Are you trying to use the actual weapon or an ability associated with it? Abilities have a limited times of use indicated by the number next to them, while the actual weapons don't have such limitations and are displayed on the top of the list. Also, for melee weapons, make sure you're in the front row. Long distance weapons such as bows, can be used from the back rows.

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2014, 09:13:53 am »
I'm not quite sure what would be the best way to add in the Emerald, other than rewriting the scene. If it was added in, there shouldn't be any bugs in the game for owning it.

Frankly, it doesn't sound to me that there would be any good reason to add it. Even if some of the event text would hint at such, you'd still have too much information missing related to it to make the whole insertion a reasonable request for a translation.

Then if I heal my characters up then the weapon is usable again??

What yuka said. If it really works like you said (and your healing didn't include WP/MP restoring), then it sounds interesting.

Perhaps I could write some possibly non-obvious basics about the game, without spoilers:

The game has Weapon Points (WP) and Magic Points (MP). Basic weapon attack is free. Other weapon skills tend to cost WP. All magic tends to cost MP. The WP/MP costs are not directly shown in menus, instead each skill shows how many times it can be used if you spend all your WP/MP using it. All weapon skills are paid from a single pool of WP points. Each magic school has its own pool of MP.

Each individual equipped weapon has a Weapon Level (WL) starting at 0, that gets reset to 0 if you unequip it even once. Each time the WL of an equipped weapon increases, your max WP increases (higher WLs give more increase). For max MP, you just gain it by practise, without further complications.

There are three rows for characters in your party. Most weapon types only work from the front row (they have a range of 1). Spears have a range of 2. Bows have an unlimited range. That covers all basic weapons.

There are four directions from which you can encounter an enemy party. This is where the "Position" option in menu comes to play. It basically lets you choose your formation for all four directions simultaenously, by letting you assign a position for each character in a 3x3 table. For example, if you place 3 characters out of more than 3 characters in the (screen-wise) rightmost positions, they will be in back row if a frontal attack occurs. If an attack from right side occurs instead, this "back row" will be evenly split into all 3 rows as the Position picture shows. Only the middle-middle character will always be at the same position, regardless of attack direction.

Well, hopefully no one considers these basics as spoilers. There are also various other things, but I don't want to test the limit of what is spoiler and what isn't.

--

By the way, regarding those cosmetic glitches that disappear quickly..
Spoiler:
when I tested my current save against the gray-fix in _11, after I picked the third option and went to talk to the person that then appears in all those buildings immediately after it, I think I briefly saw a typical glitch in the beginning of the scene where you are introduced to Claudia.
I hope these glitches are purely cosmetic, with no risk of other effects, because we probably miss a lot of them because they trigger so rarely. Everything else seems to be working so nicely.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 09:43:53 am by STARWIN »

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2014, 03:59:20 pm »
By the way, regarding those cosmetic glitches that disappear quickly..
Spoiler:
when I tested my current save against the gray-fix in _11, after I picked the third option and went to talk to the person that then appears in all those buildings immediately after it, I think I briefly saw a typical glitch in the beginning of the scene where you are introduced to Claudia.
I hope these glitches are purely cosmetic, with no risk of other effects, because we probably miss a lot of them because they trigger so rarely. Everything else seems to be working so nicely.

Most of the glitches are cosmetic, but it will still be important to fix them just in case. I have a short list of possible causes and fixes whenever one is discovered.

Bad VRAM Timing:
i.e. scenes where the screen does a mosaic fade effect (like for flashbacks), the screen would glitch because the game saves data in the same spot in VRAM where I draw text, and I was running into a timing issue where some lingering text would still try to draw there. I fixed it by putting window closing tags after the last bit of text, which forces the game to wait until all text is drawn and thus will be safe for VRAM writes afterward.

RAM Overflow:
For dialogues that ran too long without a window close, it was causing an overrun of the space I use for drawing text, which is closely tied to the spot where it saves tiles and palettes. I use a spot in RAM that's 256 tiles long, but a handful of dialogues in the game are even longer than that. The simple fix was to just add a window closing tag somewhere in the middle, which will make the text drawing go back to the beginning of the block of RAM.

DMA Channel Conflict:
A few scenes (like being turned away from a ferry because you don't have any money) contained a rarely used tag at the end that would do some sort of screen wipe, but it used a DMA channel that I used for drawing text and thus caused a conflict. The game uses almost all of the DMA channels for sending data to VRAM, and I tried to pick the one that was used the least. The fix was to put a window text pause and window closing tag in so that the game would be forced to wait until I was done drawing text.

I tried replicating the bug, and it seems like it only happens in the inn. I've put in a window close tag (my go-to fix) and it seems to have fixed it. It will be included in the next update. Thanks for the report!

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2014, 05:47:39 pm »
I started Hawke's quest and so far so good.  The reason for my post is I'll be getting my RetroN5 as well as a flash cart so I will test this on both real hardware and the RetroN5.  I will give an update on both in the future.   ;D

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2014, 06:12:23 pm »
I just happened to come across this wonderful translation project. I used to have the remake on PS2 years ago but it got scratched all to hell. :(  Now I can play the original off PSP, which I've always wanted to see what the orginal was like! I'll be playing this off PSP and Wii back and forth hopefully later today as I'm about to head out and take care of some Christmas stuff.

In any case, keep up the good work man! You are thee sheet.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!