News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Romancing Saga 1 translation  (Read 115117 times)

ddstranslation

• View Profile
Re: Romancing Saga 1 translation
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2014, 03:55:00 pm »
I haven't tried any summoning spells yet - but that wording seems fine to me, unless, of course, it does something completely different. RS3 had a moon spell to create a copy of yourself - if you are hit, the copy dies. Probably very similar here.

I'd just say that time passes in the world based on initiated battles, and this may cause (is expected to cause..) events to be missed. But the extent of spoiling is a matter of opinion.

I already tried to reproduce the simplest case, couldn't find anything. I don't have a save near the trigger because I hadn't been watching for it. The other way around; I expected I had reloaded a save so I didn't think that there was a bug. I'll probably just buy illusion magic again and play normally.. while watching for anomalies there. Your item bug note just made me think that perhaps there is a possibility for spell data overwrite or such.

edit: Loaded yesterday's in-dungeon save, explored the dungeon level a bit by moving/reset/load a few times.. after that I notice not having Illusion magic for Barbara anymore. Earlier save before dungeon still has it. In-dungeon doesn't seem to have at all. I didn't notice anything yesterday, hmm. Illusion sure lives up to its name here. No one has extra MP, but the relation between these is a less probable theory only. I'm not sure if I have seen it level up from x/3 to x/4, so I'll try to see if that is the trigger.

edit2: nope, no obvious triggers yet.

edit3: This might not be enough, but here is the save: http://www.bwass.org/bucket/lostschool.zip

Middle slot contains last safe save in the town with Illusion. Right slot contains the next dungeon save without Illusion. I went to the lake and to the dungeon, and fought some battles there, with some saving to third slot and some resets+load third slot.

edit4: I tried to use geiger's snes9x for looking the trigger by setting write breakpoints at 7E01B8-9, but it seems that this emulator hangs in battle often. There's one thing to note: I think I saw idle characters hovering for the first time with this (outdated) emulator, as I didn't see it in bsnes 080 (which is.. outdated as well).

I think I found the problem with the disappearing Illusion spells. If Barbara gets a level up in Spirit magic, it's writing the new value in the spot where Arcane magic is supposed to go. When you make a battery save, it goes down the list of spell schools and if it sees that you have any points in one school, it skips the other. That's why when you load your save, you lose all of your Illusion spells. Depending on what's actually going wrong here, this may also be the reason that you had the extra MP points on Gray.

I tried to reproduce this in the Japanese version and it doesn't happen there, so this bug is on me. I'll get to work on fixing it. Thank you for posting your save file and looking into all of this.

*Edit: It has to do with the status effect popups (which I'm really starting to dread). Specifically, when casting Way of Spirit and it pops up "Vitality", the code I had to change to get it to pop that word up was also being used as an index to modify the character's stat. But where it was supposed to increase Vitality, it was instead adding onto the Arcane magic stat. This would explain why Gray had 9/6 Arcane magic; likely he had cast Way of Spirit 3 times while at max Arcane MP. And if Barbara had cast it, the game was seeing it as some 1/0 or 2/0 Arcane stat. So when it came time to save, the game would see you had some points in Arcane, try to save that as your magic school, but since you had no spells learned, it had no effect. And then it would skip Illusion since you can't have Arcane and Illusion magic at the same time.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 04:21:53 pm by ddstranslation »

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2014, 04:04:34 pm »
Heh, while you were writing that, I also identified it to be related to the loading code.

edit:

In general, regarding the usage of various offsets.. this may not be directly related nor useful, but I think geiger's snes9x tracks RAM/ROM usage and sorts it as CODE/DATA/MIXED/???. But it also hangs in battles with this one..
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 04:46:40 pm by STARWIN »

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2014, 09:46:50 pm »
Heh, while you were writing that, I also identified it to be related to the loading code.

edit:

In general, regarding the usage of various offsets.. this may not be directly related nor useful, but I think geiger's snes9x tracks RAM/ROM usage and sorts it as CODE/DATA/MIXED/???. But it also hangs in battles with this one..

All right, I uploaded a new patch version to the front page. Hopefully this fixes the magic problem. I also changed the Way of Spirit spell to "Way of Willpower" and updated the description and pop-up. It was correctly modifying a character's Willpower in combat, and the only thing wrong was that it just said "Vitality" when it popped up. It does this in the Japanese version as well, but if the spell name, description and actual result in combat all point to Willpower instead of Vitality, I think this kind of change is justified.

There should also be no more dialogue pauses when moving between areas, like Melvir or Mazewood like you reported. I trimmed away the pauses I added in the last patch since the graphic bug should only occur when text is trying to display before the script command in question.

And finally, some spell descriptions have been reworded, mostly the summons. All of them should now say something to the effect of "fight for you" or "fight in your place". This means that your character is temporarily replaced with the summon, and when the battle is over or the summon is defeated, your character will reappear. This was most confusing with the Warrior Illusion, since there is almost no indication that anything has happened after casting it.

Thanks for all of your help with tracking down these bugs. :)

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2014, 01:24:12 pm »
This is from an earlier save that I tested a bit now with the _8 patch. Should be glitched since _6 (at least, I think), I just forgot it for a bit because it seemed so minor. I tried it with the J version and it may be specific to this patch.

Example:

Save: http://www.bwass.org/bucket/emphealing.zip

Load the first save slot and talk to initate the cutscenes. Both sub-cutscenes (bedroom & throne room) seem to randomly glitch - it may take a few resets and retries to appear. Example image is only of the latter part glitching.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:29:36 pm by STARWIN »

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2014, 10:28:29 pm »
This is from an earlier save that I tested a bit now with the _8 patch. Should be glitched since _6 (at least, I think), I just forgot it for a bit because it seemed so minor. I tried it with the J version and it may be specific to this patch.

Example:

Save: http://www.bwass.org/bucket/emphealing.zip

Load the first save slot and talk to initate the cutscenes. Both sub-cutscenes (bedroom & throne room) seem to randomly glitch - it may take a few resets and retries to appear. Example image is only of the latter part glitching.

Thanks for that. This is really hard to reproduce. I just ran it like 20 times before I got the bedroom part to glitch, and I haven't gotten the throne room to glitch yet.

I'm guessing it has to do with the text being displayed right before the scene transitions, similar to the earlier bugs pertaining to the ferry ships and the mosaic effect on Claudia's cutscene. I'll add the same fix I put in those other ones and test it out a bit more. If it doesn't happen again, I'll roll it into the next patch. I also found some mistranslations in that scene pertaining to Cornelio. The original text made it sound like the blue-robed man was speaking for Cornelio, but it actually is him.

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2014, 05:23:51 pm »
In a conversation with Neidhart, the part after "a great bird that lived there." is practically unreadable, because the text box closes immediately and the main character walks down.

(minor) The text box that appears in the early storm event closes a bit quickly.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 05:33:26 pm by STARWIN »

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2014, 10:00:57 pm »
In a conversation with Neidhart, the part after "a great bird that lived there." is practically unreadable, because the text box closes immediately and the main character walks down.

(minor) The text box that appears in the early storm event closes a bit quickly.

Oops, there's supposed to be a pause there. I'll put it back in.

And I'll change the text timers for the storm event to just button pauses, hopefully that will work better.

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2014, 04:06:38 pm »
Here is another cosmetic glitch: http://www.bwass.org/bucket/3rdslot_talkto.zip

South Estamir save, talk to the nearby person to initiate cutscene. Again you need to run it 20 times (I obviously always get them the first time by some random luck). Usually part of the background is black, sometimes purple mess, and in both cases it fixes itself very soon after the start of the cutscene, no need to chat further to observe it.

Hopefully all the remaining bugs are equally insignificant.

Mew seeker

• What are you doing there!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2014, 02:27:26 pm »
The game is finally starting to get hard. The last tier of enemies often deal attacks that kill the whole party in one shot - dealing more damage than their HP! I mean spells like Phoenix and Blizzard.
Also, I read somewhere that the final boss is almost impossible to defeat...

*Cough* Self-Immolation *Cough*
That being said, you still have to watch out for Darkness Wave. XD

Final boss difficulty is overrated but you need to up your defensive game because that fight won't end quickly.
You can probably dish the damage but can you tank it? :P

The boat from Jelton leads to the Oapu pier in Melvir. If you go back with that same boat, you will go to Oapu, not Jelton. That's the only one I noticed.

Good luck beating it without cheats. I think it shouldn't be that hard, if you can deal about 2000 damage with each character and each of them has more than 800 HP. There is a spell, that prevents death... I think it was "Spirit Wave" or "Warrior Illusion". Every time I used it, it seemed like it didn't do anything. Later, I watched a video, and saw its effect. :) I probably didn't pay attention to the spell description.

Maybe it's Phantom Warrior. Phantom Warrior is an awesome spell, it summon a double to fight (and die) in your stead.
Should you ever find an item called the Chalice, make sure to equip it on someone with Phantom Warrior because it's broken! :D

One of my characters (barbara, 4th) keeps forgetting her illusion magic at times. She has 5 schools known of 5 max possible, as do most of my characters. First I thought I had loaded a save where I hadn't bought it, but it now repeated again. It is not that the text display is in error, but that the entire magic school (with 3/3) disappears at some point (not sure of the trigger). I can buy it again and the shopkeeper allows it, so it does effectively disappear. This might be related to how gray (1st char) got extra arcane mp: 6/6 and 3 extra matches barbara's old illusion 3/3 (or 0/3?) results in 9/6, just a guess. Gray had less than 6/6 before it jumped to 9/6. It is possible that improving some magic school for either character was the trigger, but it is hard to guess triggers.
edit2: cannot easily reproduce the above either :/

While there might be a bug involved, keep in mind that in this game there are 3 pairs of magic schools (well technically 5) that are opposed to each other.
You can only have 1 of each in the original version.
Illusion school is opposed to... what was it called? Demonology? The one with a lot of buff spells including IIRC a multitarget speed buff.
So keep in mind you're not playing SaGa Frontier, you can't get all type of magics on your hero.  ;)

Oh, just for the record, the more spells a character has learned in a spell school, the faster that character will gain MPs for it.

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2014, 11:13:05 pm »
Here is another cosmetic glitch: http://www.bwass.org/bucket/3rdslot_talkto.zip

South Estamir save, talk to the nearby person to initiate cutscene. Again you need to run it 20 times (I obviously always get them the first time by some random luck). Usually part of the background is black, sometimes purple mess, and in both cases it fixes itself very soon after the start of the cutscene, no need to chat further to observe it.

Hopefully all the remaining bugs are equally insignificant.

Thanks for that. Looks like it may be another spot where text writing needs to be completed before running script commands.

While there might be a bug involved, keep in mind that in this game there are 3 pairs of magic schools (well technically 5) that are opposed to each other.
You can only have 1 of each in the original version.
Illusion school is opposed to... what was it called? Demonology? The one with a lot of buff spells including IIRC a multitarget speed buff.
So keep in mind you're not playing SaGa Frontier, you can't get all type of magics on your hero.  ;)

Heh, it was actually a bug created with the patch. When I was trying to get the status effect "Vitality" to appear, I changed a byte that I thought controlled its size. But it was also being used as a marker to find and increase your character's stat. So when you buffed your Vitality, it was actually increasing the number of your Arcane spells. But when you make a hard save, the game just looks at the pairs of magic schools, and if you have any points in the first one it checks, it assumes that's your school and doesn't bother to save the other. So with the Arcane/Illusion pairing, it sees that you have a non-zero number for Arcane, saves that (even though the character doesn't know any Arcane spells) and then skips checking Illusion. Reloading the save will then make it appear as if you lost all of your Illusion spells.

yuka

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2014, 04:52:22 am »
I experienced a glitch very early in Albert's scenario: everything stared glitching when Diana wakes Albert up because they're under attack. The speech bubbles were all messed up and scrolling very quickly, the background around was also all fuzzy. But the weirdest thing is that Diana is now stuck in my party forever, even though she's supposed to be left behind in the scenario. Obvisously she never talks, but she levels up, fights and I can equip her with armor and magic so in a sense it's not bad and actually helps to have an extra ally. I now have Sif and heading to the Knight's Dominion after completing the Valhallan quest.

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2014, 09:58:52 pm »
I experienced a glitch very early in Albert's scenario: everything stared glitching when Diana wakes Albert up because they're under attack. The speech bubbles were all messed up and scrolling very quickly, the background around was also all fuzzy. But the weirdest thing is that Diana is now stuck in my party forever, even though she's supposed to be left behind in the scenario. Obvisously she never talks, but she levels up, fights and I can equip her with armor and magic so in a sense it's not bad and actually helps to have an extra ally. I now have Sif and heading to the Knight's Dominion after completing the Valhallan quest.

Wow, that's a pretty bad bug. I had been meaning to re-play the game as Albert but I've been putting it off. It looks like another case of text writing messing up scene transitions. I'm really going to need to go back through the script and carefully look for all the places that this happens. I'm uploading an updated patch to the top post that should fix this. Thank you for your help reporting this bug.

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2014, 01:40:33 pm »
"I want to learn some new spells since it will tough to get by with only Fire magic." -> "will be"

Some of the original event bugs are a bit of an headache. I thought they would be minor stuff like gian/galahad/invisible sprite confusion and wrong order of events, but now I got two Claudias. I'd like to see the related events, but I sense a lot of potential for Breaking Things Further if I go that way. Ah, what to do.

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2014, 05:29:57 pm »
I've never played this game before because I've been waiting for an Eng translation since the very beginning, hoping someone would someday make it. As such, I'm not very familiar with the bugs/etc that are present in the game. Such as this one:

Quote from: Gideon Zhi
I at least will probably not ever look at RS1, simply because of Minstrel Song, yes. It's sort of a director's cut - along with the graphical and aural upgrade, it fixes several things wrong with the original (including one of the fatestones that was unobtainable due to a bug in the software.)

This message was posted by Gideon Zhi on a RS2 thread. I'm not sure if I'm correct, but this sounds like a major bug. So... I was wondering if you guys are going to fix it? (if it's even possible) ?

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2014, 10:44:46 pm »
Sorry for not responding sooner. I've fallen back into my slack-off mode, just playing other games while trying to ease back into working.

"I want to learn some new spells since it will tough to get by with only Fire magic." -> "will be"

Some of the original event bugs are a bit of an headache. I thought they would be minor stuff like gian/galahad/invisible sprite confusion and wrong order of events, but now I got two Claudias. I'd like to see the related events, but I sense a lot of potential for Breaking Things Further if I go that way. Ah, what to do.

Thanks, I'll fix that typo.

Many bugs are documented on those wiki sites, but it might end up spoiling content that you haven't seen yet. The game was obviously rushed or not tested enough, but hopefully it won't be anything that completely stops progression in the game. Just some things will get a bit wacky before the end. :)

I've never played this game before because I've been waiting for an Eng translation since the very beginning, hoping someone would someday make it. As such, I'm not very familiar with the bugs/etc that are present in the game. Such as this one:

Quote from: Gideon Zhi
I at least will probably not ever look at RS1, simply because of Minstrel Song, yes. It's sort of a director's cut - along with the graphical and aural upgrade, it fixes several things wrong with the original (including one of the fatestones that was unobtainable due to a bug in the software.)

This message was posted by Gideon Zhi on a RS2 thread. I'm not sure if I'm correct, but this sounds like a major bug. So... I was wondering if you guys are going to fix it? (if it's even possible) ?

Regarding the Destiny Stones:
As far as I know, you cannot obtain the Emerald, Diamond or Black Diamond (3 out of 10) in the SFC game. There is supposed to be an event where you find the person that possesses the Emerald in the game, but it looks like you don't get it from him. I think it's more an oversight or just wasn't able to be implemented in time, rather than a bug. I could add an extra script to award the Emerald, but I'm not sure if the item will even have an effect in-game. According to one Japanese page, the Ruby, Topaz and Opal don't seem to do anything in the game. But you do not need any of the Destiny Stones to beat the game, only to do some certain events.

Regarding bugs:
The game has a lot of open-ended scripted events, and that results in some buggy behavior like others have reported in this thread. Things like starting an event with one character that's actually meant for another character, or doing things out of order and the game being unable to resolve the outcome (and you end up with duplicate party members or graphical glitches). Other bugs include items that seemingly do nothing, the potential to glitch combat into showing sprites or items that you shouldn't see, or giving yourself almost infinite HP. I don't think there are any showstopper bugs that would prevent beating the game, but I can understand not wanting to play something so notoriously buggy.

My original goal was to just localize the game, replacing the Japanese text with English. I guess if it's something simple to fix, like the treasure chest bug in KMT, I could fix it. But it would be quite an undertaking to fix all of this game's bugs. The easiest way around it, I think, would just be to play the PS2 version.

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2014, 07:14:48 am »
Sorry for not responding sooner. I've fallen back into my slack-off mode, just playing other games while trying to ease back into working.

I think it's natural to work in bursts. Slack-off modes are a necessary component of natural workflow, as otherwise work bursts could not exist. Also, little workers can already beta-test the game without you doing anything for a while.  :laugh:

, but I'm not sure if the item will even have an effect in-game. According to one Japanese page, the Ruby, Topaz and Opal don't seem to do anything in the game. But you do not need any of the Destiny Stones to beat the game, only to do some certain events.

Is there a page that specifically mentions that certain pieces of equipment do nothing? The item lists shows various effects from various destiny stones, including those.

Sounds like the biggest risk in adding Emerald would be if some events refer to it with broken results.

My original goal was to just localize the game, replacing the Japanese text with English. I guess if it's something simple to fix, like the treasure chest bug in KMT, I could fix it. But it would be quite an undertaking to fix all of this game's bugs. The easiest way around it, I think, would just be to play the PS2 version.

The bug I just encountered with Gray ("farewell with friends"-event) could probably be fixed if the event did not require "defeat of the fixed enemy Urania". It would also make Gray's introduction a bit more natural. In case you want to take a look, I have a save file just before it triggers. I speculate that Gray's party was supposed to fight Urania before leaving the island, but they didn't have time to implement the related events, and just slapped the extra condition there instead. Getting away from the starting island is a bit too easy, and doing things there requires some maneuvering, which may be hard for a new player. So currently getting bugged things later with Gray is more probable than not (though I did avoid it by not fighting Urania at all). Though if you do the change, I'll be stuck in the older version.  :P

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2014, 05:05:32 pm »
I think it's natural to work in bursts. Slack-off modes are a necessary component of natural workflow, as otherwise work bursts could not exist. Also, little workers can already beta-test the game without you doing anything for a while.  :laugh:

Is there a page that specifically mentions that certain pieces of equipment do nothing? The item lists shows various effects from various destiny stones, including those.

Sounds like the biggest risk in adding Emerald would be if some events refer to it with broken results.

The bug I just encountered with Gray ("farewell with friends"-event) could probably be fixed if the event did not require "defeat of the fixed enemy Urania". It would also make Gray's introduction a bit more natural. In case you want to take a look, I have a save file just before it triggers. I speculate that Gray's party was supposed to fight Urania before leaving the island, but they didn't have time to implement the related events, and just slapped the extra condition there instead. Getting away from the starting island is a bit too easy, and doing things there requires some maneuvering, which may be hard for a new player. So currently getting bugged things later with Gray is more probable than not (though I did avoid it by not fighting Urania at all). Though if you do the change, I'll be stuck in the older version.  :P

Heh, yeah, I was feeling kinda burned out from working and just passing the time playing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and now Pokemon Alpha Sapphire. But I still try to check this thread daily for any new bug reports, and I'll put up a new patch if there's a game-breaking bug found.

The page I was looking at was here:
http://2style.jp/drajayght/rs/data/q_and_a.html

Though it should be easily testable. When I played through, I only found the Amethyst, Topaz and Opal.

Specific Destiny Stones required for events:
Spoiler:
The Moonstone is tied to the Cursed Emperor event, and you specifically have to have that one to finish it. Same for the Aquamarine for the Crown Prince, though you could just hold onto it instead of turning it in. The Obsidian Sword, Ruby, Topaz, Opal and Amethyst are basically just "found" or given in the world.

Adding the Emerald back in shouldn't cause problems, if it's just an item reward given to the player.

What kind of bug are you seeing? The event is supposed to happen once you defeat Uranos and sail back to Melvir. Do you mean that it should happen whenever you first sail to Melvir? I guess it could work that way, though it may seem odd to talk about what an adventure they had and split up when the game had just started. The event is open until 428 battles, which is almost half the requirement for unlocking the last level of the game. And it's not really required to beat the game (actually, I think it's the only quest specific for Gray). But yeah, if necessary, I can change the spot that checks if you fought Uranos or not to just ignore that.

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2014, 06:30:45 pm »
This is what I use as a reference for destiny stone effects, probably dumped from the ROM:
http://www8.plala.or.jp/alice4/10.htm

So the bits are probably there, but haven't yet seen anyone attack my Topaz-carrier with the attack type listed.

"farewell with friends" basically expects you to arrive with the 3 starting characters, all its operations assume that: Recruitment teamsize -2, possibility to add Claudia later, both regardless of team. I'll throw a save just before it here in any case: http://www.bwass.org/bucket/GrayEvent.zip slot 1, travel to trigger event. Or if you just want to see various bugs from the original.  :)

Yep, it should be unavoidable at first travel to Melvir, and should be a small change. I can't think of other simple solutions.

CalacaBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2014, 08:23:37 pm »
Hi, is this current patch of Romancing Saga 1 the final version? I'm very eager to start playing this game but I wanna wait til you have the final version which is completely playable and without anymore issues. Please let me know.

Thank you!

filmoc@aol.com

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2014, 07:10:30 pm »
Hi, is this current patch of Romancing Saga 1 the final version? I'm very eager to start playing this game but I wanna wait til you have the final version which is completely playable and without anymore issues. Please let me know.

Thank you!

filmoc@aol.com

Not quite final, but it should be playable. I don't think there are any major showstopper bugs left. I still want to verify that all the events play out correctly, since there's been a few bugs regarding those. But the only ones I'm aware of now are the ones that were in the original game as written by Square. The script also really needs another look, since some parts are awkwardly translated or just written in a dry manner.