I've been playing this a bit. I assume there are various unintended things in the original game and I assume those are not from the translation patch. The japanese page linked probably contains a lot of that, but I'm only reading some mechanics/basics from there. I don't want to read/post spoilers in this thread if I can avoid it. It is possible that some spell descriptions ingame are incorrect (in the original). If your goal is purely translation, that is not an issue.
The font seems good to me. The game also seems worth translating. So far it has felt like a complete translation.
One minor thing (100814_6 , bsnes v080):
in casting way of strength, not sure if it was all time glitched or if something triggered it. edit: ok, it only looks like this after something happens, and it gets reset to normal later. possible triggers could be poison status inflicted at sif (above char) in an earlier battle or being in south estamir sewers, but these are just guesses. edit2: no, it happened later ruling those 2 triggers out.
Thanks for trying the game out.
I can try to verify if something unintended was a result of the patch. Do you have any examples?
Hm, the status effects seem to keep glitching out. I think I need to go back and totally redo how they're done.
I noticed two other status text glitches:
1. When I summoned a dragon and the enemy used Agony on it, the "Can't move" status text was glitched. It probably happens with other spells too, when used on summons. After I returned from the summon (I think the enemy defeated it), various status texts started appearing glitchy - I can't remember which exactly, but it seemed like a side-effect from the summon.
2. This guy: used the Quick spell on himself, and the "Agility" text was glitched.
What incorrect ones did you notice? There are weird things in this game, like people that don't speak to you (at first I thought it was a bug) and boats that lead you to wrong piers, but that spell thing could be a real translation mistake.
It's a really curious game, but it became really tedious with all the battles, so I'll stop playing it for now.
I hope someone translates that huge info site someday - http://www8.plala.or.jp/alice4 - It's probably full with interesting info.
I can't wait to try Romancing SaGa 2 too, when it gets translated.
Yeah, the status effect text has been causing so many problems. I need to go back and change how they're implemented.
Which boats lead to the wrong pier? It's likely that I wrote the wrong name in, but if not, I could still change it so that it is corrected.
And I'm looking forward to RS2 as well.
I think the basic earth and wind spells mentioned some other effect "Causes an enemy's attacks to miss", while the japanese page lists them as having critical chance (which seems to be correct). From the japanese page I also got the impression that the game manual listed some effect for compassion and/or charisma, while the ingame effect is different (possibly bugged). I get the impression that way of spirit raises Willpower (listed ambiguously in description, and shows probably incorrect Vitality in-battle).. stuff like that.I can understand most things there based on google translation alone.
As a completely unrelated note, the music is quite nice.
edit: Here is another glitch:
choose this with 5 people in your party, the message will then end in "Wait, there's too many people."
After this just walk, and the screen will get corrupted like this:
view seems to return to normal after walking out of the house though.
I may have mistranslated the spell effects. I'll go back and look at them again.
I don't suppose you have a save at that part with the 5 people?
Never mind, I think I found the cause.
I have a fix for the status effect names being corrupted, hopefully for good this time. And I believe I have a fix for the dialogue that corrupts the screen. It was related to an earlier bug that was fixed but I neglected to look through the rest of the script to correct other places that it could appear. The patch should be on the first post of this thread.
I guess I should probably show why the status effects seem to keep bugging out. I'm trying to find a spot in memory where I can draw out the names of the effects, but the places that I choose end up being used by the game to draw enemies or special effects.
In the first attempt, the spot I picked was overwritten by special effect graphics like sword slashes or explosions. So whenever those effects were used, any further attempt to display status effects were corrupted. In the second attempt, I tried to condense everything and move it as far down as possible. But it also seems that this was not a good place, as the reports today have confirmed.
My current attempt is to move everything upwards instead of downwards. There's a spot where the font is duplicated but unused, so I've moved the status effect text there. There's a couple that won't fit, so I separated them and overwrote some field sprites. This should be fine, since the field sprites are not used in combat and are reloaded at the end of combat.
Basically, here's a picture of how I've currently arranged the text:
As far as I can tell, these spots should no longer get overwritten no matter what happens in combat. Hopefully this fixes this issue for good. Or at least, until someone discovers how/when the Dexterity/Intelligence/Willpower/etc. popups occur.
One more update. I plan to play through one more time as another character, and without cheating this time. I want to be sure there aren't any major bugs left before the release is finalized. This may take me a while though, so I apologize for any slow updating.