News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Romancing Saga 1 translation  (Read 115118 times)

ddstranslation

• View Profile
Re: Romancing Saga 1 translation
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2014, 01:25:07 am »
I used an older patch then, I patched my copy a few days ago, when I noticed you having uploaded a patch.
I will look into the magic problem later, but if what sillik says is right, then it should hopefully be fixed. Anyway. The town I was talking about was Mervil or something like that I believe. It wasn't that far into his scenario.

I tried starting a new game as Gray and traveling to Melvir to test it, but I wasn't able to reproduce it. I hope that the newer patches fixed that bug. But if you see it again, can you take a screenshot of it?

And speaking of new patches, the project is now in beta status and has had a new patch uploaded to the top post. Please make sure to update if anyone is still testing the game. I'll continue to make my own way through the game and fix whatever I see. I'm currently playing as Claudia and have already made a few adjustments to the script.

sillik

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2014, 01:59:49 am »
Another bug (tested with the newest patch): In Crystal City the potion/item shop text is glitched.

Also, when using the "Way of Strength" spirit magic, the status text appears like this:

I think it happens with other spirit magic too.
Another problem with spirit magic, this time during battle:

I think it's because some numbers are bigger than 9...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:46:45 am by sillik »

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2014, 07:11:29 pm »
Another bug (tested with the newest patch): In Crystal City the potion/item shop text is glitched.

Also, when using the "Way of Strength" spirit magic, the status text appears like this:

I think it happens with other spirit magic too.
Another problem with spirit magic, this time during battle:

I think it's because some numbers are bigger than 9...

Thanks for the report. I guess the item shop text got broken when I tried to fix the magic shop text, but I have a fix for it now. I also have a fix for the Spirit magic bugs, though I could only verify them displaying "Strength" and "Vitality" as status effect pop-ups. The game also has others for every other stat, but I don't know what causes those to appear (Agility, Intelligence, etc.).

I also discovered a bug with a different type of summon, the Dragon Illusion spell. I found where the game stores spells in memory, so I'll fiddle with these to simulate every castable spell for player characters and fix anything that breaks. And then upload a newer patch.

I also managed to finish playing the game as Claudia, though admittedly by cheating a lot near the end. I may have to revert the dialogue timers to their original values for each character's ending, since doubling them causes the epilogue to play too long and not be synced up with the music.

sillik

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2014, 05:25:53 am »
There was another status text problem with an enemy attack - one that makes all your characters unable to move ("Can't move")
I think the enemy was this one:
I wasn't able to screencap it. :(

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2014, 09:23:51 pm »
There was another status text problem with an enemy attack - one that makes all your characters unable to move ("Can't move")
I think the enemy was this one:
I wasn't able to screencap it. :(

Thanks. Yeah, the Agony spell was putting "Can't move" on everyone and it was really messed up. I uploaded a new patch to the top post that I hope fixes all of the problems you reported.

sillik

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2014, 08:09:19 am »
I found another bug, with the new patch:

I'm not sure if it happens with other types of magic.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 01:05:07 pm by sillik »

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2014, 06:50:48 pm »
I found another bug, with the new patch:

I'm not sure if it happens with other types of magic.

Ah, you're right. I made a quick fix and uploaded it to the front page. Sorry for all the back and forth, I completely overlooked that. It was related to the fix for the in-combat spells doing the same thing. The game draws text differently for menus and dialogue windows, so most of my code is supposed to do a check to see which one it's doing, but I forgot to add that this time.

sillik

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2014, 01:24:26 am »
I wonder when does the game get hard. Up till now it has been really easy - I've almost never lost a battle.
I'm not sure how far into the game I am though. You said you had to cheat near the end...

A really stupid thing is that when you go in a dungeon and fight the monsters on the way to the bottom level, you can easily reach 9999 gold (which is the limit). Most of the encounters are really hard to avoid. And at the bottom level of the dungeon there are treasure chests with gold inside them, which you can't take! :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 07:01:50 am by sillik »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2014, 05:06:52 am »
Sounds like a good reason to make a separate patch to raise that limit and maybe raise prices to go with it.

sillik

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2014, 06:52:40 am »
You can actually get more than 9,999 gold if you find jewels in the dungeons. One jewel = 10,000 gold. You can also get jewels if you sell something, while you have 9,999 gold. It's a weird system.
The game is finally starting to get hard. The last tier of enemies often deal attacks that kill the whole party in one shot - dealing more damage than their HP! I mean spells like Phoenix and Blizzard.
Also, I read somewhere that the final boss is almost impossible to defeat...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 07:08:11 am by sillik »

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2014, 11:15:27 am »
I've been playing this a bit. I assume there are various unintended things in the original game and I assume those are not from the translation patch. The japanese page linked probably contains a lot of that, but I'm only reading some mechanics/basics from there. I don't want to read/post spoilers in this thread if I can avoid it. It is possible that some spell descriptions ingame are incorrect (in the original). If your goal is purely translation, that is not an issue.

The font seems good to me. The game also seems worth translating. So far it has felt like a complete translation.

One minor thing (100814_6 , bsnes v080):

in casting way of strength, not sure if it was all time glitched or if something triggered it. edit: ok, it only looks like this after something happens, and it gets reset to normal later. possible triggers could be poison status inflicted at sif (above char) in an earlier battle or being in south estamir sewers, but these are just guesses. edit2: no, it happened later ruling those 2 triggers out.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:00:02 pm by STARWIN »

sillik

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2014, 11:47:02 am »
I noticed two other status text glitches:
1. When I summoned a dragon and the enemy used Agony on it, the "Can't move" status text was glitched. It probably happens with other spells too, when used on summons. After I returned from the summon (I think the enemy defeated it), various status texts started appearing glitchy - I can't remember which exactly, but it seemed like a side-effect from the summon.
2. This guy: used the Quick spell on himself, and the "Agility" text was glitched.

It is possible that some spell descriptions ingame are incorrect (in the original).
What incorrect ones did you notice? There are weird things in this game, like people that don't speak to you (at first I thought it was a bug) and boats that lead you to wrong piers, but that spell thing could be a real translation mistake.

It's a really curious game, but it became really tedious with all the battles, so I'll stop playing it for now.
I hope someone translates that huge info site someday - http://www8.plala.or.jp/alice4 - It's probably full with interesting info.
I can't wait to try Romancing SaGa 2 too, when it gets translated. :)

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2014, 12:34:55 pm »
What incorrect ones did you notice? There are weird things in this game, like people that don't speak to you (at first I thought it was a bug) and boats that lead you to wrong piers, but that spell thing could be a real translation mistake.
I think the basic earth and wind spells mentioned some other effect "Causes an enemy's attacks to miss", while the japanese page lists them as having critical chance (which seems to be correct). From the japanese page I also got the impression that the game manual listed some effect for compassion and/or charisma, while the ingame effect is different (possibly bugged). I get the impression that way of spirit raises Willpower (listed ambiguously in description, and shows probably incorrect Vitality in-battle).. stuff like that.
I hope someone translates that huge info site someday - http://www8.plala.or.jp/alice4 - It's probably full with interesting info.
I can understand most things there based on google translation alone.

As a completely unrelated note, the music is quite nice.

edit: Here is another glitch:

choose this with 5 people in your party, the message will then end in "Wait, there's too many people."
After this just walk, and the screen will get corrupted like this:

view seems to return to normal after walking out of the house though.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 02:41:12 pm by STARWIN »

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2014, 09:01:05 pm »
I've been playing this a bit. I assume there are various unintended things in the original game and I assume those are not from the translation patch. The japanese page linked probably contains a lot of that, but I'm only reading some mechanics/basics from there. I don't want to read/post spoilers in this thread if I can avoid it. It is possible that some spell descriptions ingame are incorrect (in the original). If your goal is purely translation, that is not an issue.

The font seems good to me. The game also seems worth translating. So far it has felt like a complete translation.

One minor thing (100814_6 , bsnes v080):

in casting way of strength, not sure if it was all time glitched or if something triggered it. edit: ok, it only looks like this after something happens, and it gets reset to normal later. possible triggers could be poison status inflicted at sif (above char) in an earlier battle or being in south estamir sewers, but these are just guesses. edit2: no, it happened later ruling those 2 triggers out.

Thanks for trying the game out. :)  I can try to verify if something unintended was a result of the patch. Do you have any examples?

Hm, the status effects seem to keep glitching out. I think I need to go back and totally redo how they're done.

I noticed two other status text glitches:
1. When I summoned a dragon and the enemy used Agony on it, the "Can't move" status text was glitched. It probably happens with other spells too, when used on summons. After I returned from the summon (I think the enemy defeated it), various status texts started appearing glitchy - I can't remember which exactly, but it seemed like a side-effect from the summon.
2. This guy: used the Quick spell on himself, and the "Agility" text was glitched.

It's a really curious game, but it became really tedious with all the battles, so I'll stop playing it for now.
I can't wait to try Romancing SaGa 2 too, when it gets translated. :)

Yeah, the status effect text has been causing so many problems. I need to go back and change how they're implemented.

Which boats lead to the wrong pier? It's likely that I wrote the wrong name in, but if not, I could still change it so that it is corrected.

And I'm looking forward to RS2 as well. :)

I think the basic earth and wind spells mentioned some other effect "Causes an enemy's attacks to miss", while the japanese page lists them as having critical chance (which seems to be correct). From the japanese page I also got the impression that the game manual listed some effect for compassion and/or charisma, while the ingame effect is different (possibly bugged). I get the impression that way of spirit raises Willpower (listed ambiguously in description, and shows probably incorrect Vitality in-battle).. stuff like that.I can understand most things there based on google translation alone.

As a completely unrelated note, the music is quite nice.

edit: Here is another glitch:

choose this with 5 people in your party, the message will then end in "Wait, there's too many people."
After this just walk, and the screen will get corrupted like this:

view seems to return to normal after walking out of the house though.

I may have mistranslated the spell effects. I'll go back and look at them again.

I don't suppose you have a save at that part with the 5 people? Never mind, I think I found the cause.

I have a fix for the status effect names being corrupted, hopefully for good this time. And I believe I have a fix for the dialogue that corrupts the screen. It was related to an earlier bug that was fixed but I neglected to look through the rest of the script to correct other places that it could appear. The patch should be on the first post of this thread.

I guess I should probably show why the status effects seem to keep bugging out. I'm trying to find a spot in memory where I can draw out the names of the effects, but the places that I choose end up being used by the game to draw enemies or special effects.

In the first attempt, the spot I picked was overwritten by special effect graphics like sword slashes or explosions. So whenever those effects were used, any further attempt to display status effects were corrupted. In the second attempt, I tried to condense everything and move it as far down as possible. But it also seems that this was not a good place, as the reports today have confirmed.

My current attempt is to move everything upwards instead of downwards. There's a spot where the font is duplicated but unused, so I've moved the status effect text there. There's a couple that won't fit, so I separated them and overwrote some field sprites. This should be fine, since the field sprites are not used in combat and are reloaded at the end of combat.

Basically, here's a picture of how I've currently arranged the text:

As far as I can tell, these spots should no longer get overwritten no matter what happens in combat. Hopefully this fixes this issue for good. Or at least, until someone discovers how/when the Dexterity/Intelligence/Willpower/etc. popups occur. :)

One more update. I plan to play through one more time as another character, and without cheating this time. I want to be sure there aren't any major bugs left before the release is finalized. This may take me a while though, so I apologize for any slow updating.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 12:51:10 am by ddstranslation »

sillik

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2014, 02:40:18 am »
Which boats lead to the wrong pier? It's likely that I wrote the wrong name in, but if not, I could still change it so that it is corrected.

The boat from Jelton leads to the Oapu pier in Melvir. If you go back with that same boat, you will go to Oapu, not Jelton. That's the only one I noticed.

Good luck beating it without cheats. I think it shouldn't be that hard, if you can deal about 2000 damage with each character and each of them has more than 800 HP. There is a spell, that prevents death... I think it was "Spirit Wave" or "Warrior Illusion". Every time I used it, it seemed like it didn't do anything. Later, I watched a video, and saw its effect. :) I probably didn't pay attention to the spell description.

I also heard that the Flame Tyrant summon really helps in the next to last boss battle, but you have to trade the Ice Sword with him for that... The game actually forces you to trade it, if you want to complete the "Jelton infested with monsters" quest. You can't talk to him about the monster problem before you do "his favor".

By the way, this is one of my favorite songs from the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QRwymQlPBk
I wonder where it plays?

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2014, 07:24:16 am »
I can try to verify if something unintended was a result of the patch. Do you have any examples?

Some characters in various towns don't speak. I play as Gray and I mistakenly triggered Albert's early game event, which resulted in text strings like "I'm Gray of the Valhallans". These sorts of things are most likely in the original as well.

I may have mistranslated the spell effects. I'll go back and look at them again.

It is reasonably possible that the japanese text is incorrect. It's not a mistranslation in that case.  :) Similar to how "way of spirit" probably doesn't raise Vitality in-battle, but the developers just probably pointed to the wrong graphics (these sorts of mistakes might result in those other popups being unused). The japanese page is probably correct in these things. *Assuming* this is how things are, is your goal to translate original (incorrect) content or is it to correct the mistakes of original developers as well? Because the latter way can turn into a swamp of little details (because to be certain you'd have to check what the game mechanics are in the code..).

One more update. I plan to play through one more time as another character, and without cheating this time. I want to be sure there aren't any major bugs left before the release is finalized. This may take me a while though, so I apologize for any slow updating.

If you want to enjoy it, you probably don't want to check the japanese page in detail. If you want to maximize bugs catched, it is possible that those pages contain leads to untested parts.

I'll also continue my playthrough to the end, hopefully.

edit:

Now continuing 101514_7 with the old save. The screen sometimes remains black until a button is pressed after entering a different location (music starts playing, but only my first keypress initiates the movement of NPCs and visibility). There is no clear cause. I just recruited 6th character (claudia), this occurs when entering mazewood or melvir, but not some other locations.. it is not triggered by background music change solely though.

edit2:

I was wandering in a dungeon when I noticed that I had 9/6 arcane MP. Unsure of the cause.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 02:04:16 pm by STARWIN »

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2014, 11:13:49 pm »
The boat from Jelton leads to the Oapu pier in Melvir. If you go back with that same boat, you will go to Oapu, not Jelton. That's the only one I noticed.

Good luck beating it without cheats. I think it shouldn't be that hard, if you can deal about 2000 damage with each character and each of them has more than 800 HP. There is a spell, that prevents death... I think it was "Spirit Wave" or "Warrior Illusion". Every time I used it, it seemed like it didn't do anything. Later, I watched a video, and saw its effect. :) I probably didn't pay attention to the spell description.

I also heard that the Flame Tyrant summon really helps in the next to last boss battle, but you have to trade the Ice Sword with him for that... The game actually forces you to trade it, if you want to complete the "Jelton infested with monsters" quest. You can't talk to him about the monster problem before you do "his favor".

By the way, this is one of my favorite songs from the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QRwymQlPBk
I wonder where it plays?

I think the boat thing is scripted so that you always arrive at the closest port from off-screen or some pre-determined one. I think it does the same thing when traveling between North and South Estamir, since North has 3 ports and you just go straight to the middle one.

I was wondering what that spell was supposed to do. Sometimes when casting spells, they seem to just fizzle and do nothing. I may have mistranslated the description. I'll go back and look over them again.

Heh, that song brings back memories of playing Final Fantasy Legend. That was one of the first Gameboy games I got, and played it like crazy. Apparently the song only plays in a very specific and rare event in Adyllis' room in Bayre Plateau.

http://mardius.world.coocan.jp/overture/html/saga/tears.html

Some characters in various towns don't speak. I play as Gray and I mistakenly triggered Albert's early game event, which resulted in text strings like "I'm Gray of the Valhallans". These sorts of things are most likely in the original as well.

It is reasonably possible that the japanese text is incorrect. It's not a mistranslation in that case.  :) Similar to how "way of spirit" probably doesn't raise Vitality in-battle, but the developers just probably pointed to the wrong graphics (these sorts of mistakes might result in those other popups being unused). The japanese page is probably correct in these things. *Assuming* this is how things are, is your goal to translate original (incorrect) content or is it to correct the mistakes of original developers as well? Because the latter way can turn into a swamp of little details (because to be certain you'd have to check what the game mechanics are in the code..).

If you want to enjoy it, you probably don't want to check the japanese page in detail. If you want to maximize bugs catched, it is possible that those pages contain leads to untested parts.

I'll also continue my playthrough to the end, hopefully.

edit:

Now continuing 101514_7 with the old save. The screen sometimes remains black until a button is pressed after entering a different location (music starts playing, but only my first keypress initiates the movement of NPCs and visibility). There is no clear cause. I just recruited 6th character (claudia), this occurs when entering mazewood or melvir, but not some other locations.. it is not triggered by background music change solely though.

edit2:

I was wandering in a dungeon when I noticed that I had 9/6 arcane MP. Unsure of the cause.

The characters not speaking, are you talking about guards or villagers? I think it was like that in the Japanese version too. Usually whenever I see something that doesn't seem right, I make a save and transfer it to the Japanese game to test it out there.

But the part about Gray pretending to be Sif is really weird. Where and how did you get to Albert?

I don't think I'd have to completely leave the game up to the original version if it's something buggy yet trivial to fix. Obviously an incorrect pop-up or spell description could and should be fixed. Though I have seen some things that weren't so easy to fix. Not sure if you noticed it, but sometimes when choosing a combat command, the character's idle animation where they are supposed to walk in place instead has them hovering up and down in place. :)  It's like that in the Japanese game, but I tried looking at it for a few days and couldn't find a way to fix it.

Heh, too late for me, I did use that Japanese page to figure out what events are in the game and how to trigger them. I'm somewhat considering translating it as a guide for the game, kinda like the fusion charts for KMT1 and 2. But I don't know if I'd do every single page. Maybe just some overviews of events and maybe the explanations of character creation and stats.

About the latest fix, yeah, I think I was a bit overzealous with applying the fix for the bug you reported with Monica. Basically, there's a special script command that the game uses in about 20 places that interferes with the way that I draw text. The bug was first discovered by another tester with the ferry boats, where if you tried to ride one but didn't have enough money, the game screen would garble up. I "fixed" it by putting a window pause and window close command in front of it, which tells my code to stop writing text. But apparently sticking pauses everywhere wasn't the right thing to do, as one of those is also used when transitioning into places like Mazewood. I'll go back and see if there's a more elegant way to fix it.

About the magic bug, do you know if it should have read 9/9 or 6/6? It may be related to the fix I did to align spell school names in dialogue.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 11:26:59 pm by ddstranslation »

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2014, 10:22:01 am »
The characters not speaking, are you talking about guards or villagers? I think it was like that in the Japanese version too. Usually whenever I see something that doesn't seem right, I make a save and transfer it to the Japanese game to test it out there.

Some of the temple priests don't react until something happens. For example earth shrine at Crystal city if you haven't interacted with Albert in the early game. IIRC some folks in S Estamir, who look quest-related, that I didn't trigger in time. Some guards in N Estamir. Geckling guards. etc etc

But the part about Gray pretending to be Sif is really weird. Where and how did you get to Albert?

Not so weird actually. I went to Crystal city ASAP as Gray, then I took a boat to Bruelle, from Bruelle I took a boat to Mirsaburg. At that point I unknowingly triggered some Albert's early event (storm). After that I appeared in the shipwreck (possibly taking the position of some monster? because one was thrown in the ocean :P). The dialogue there simply expects that only Albert/Sif talk to each other, but it still uses a variable for the speaker.

I don't think I'd have to completely leave the game up to the original version if it's something buggy yet trivial to fix. Obviously an incorrect pop-up or spell description could and should be fixed. Though I have seen some things that weren't so easy to fix. Not sure if you noticed it, but sometimes when choosing a combat command, the character's idle animation where they are supposed to walk in place instead has them hovering up and down in place. :)  It's like that in the Japanese game, but I tried looking at it for a few days and couldn't find a way to fix it.

The main problem is knowing what the correct mechanism is, even if the japanese page is probably right. Personally I'm more interested in gameplay than non-gameplay problems like such small glitches (haven't noticed it).

I'm somewhat considering translating it as a guide for the game, kinda like the fusion charts for KMT1 and 2. But I don't know if I'd do every single page. Maybe just some overviews of events and maybe the explanations of character creation and stats.

I would avoid having event/story spoilers easily available. For character creation and stats, I kind of agree. Before starting the game I used the character creation screen to create a speculative table of the game mechanics. Later I noticed a page with the real mechanics, which were very close. My current take on character stats is that compassion and charisma are not worth considering for any purpose really. For others I roughly know what they mean, and I know the japanese page could be used to make a (too) detailed info about stats as well.

The hidden properties of armor are something I'd really prefer the game to show. For now if I get an interesting armor piece, I check the effect tables from the japanese page and write them down to my notes. However for guide purposes it is also nice to not know the names/effects of those armor pieces you haven't seen yet.. but just don't code anything for that, because it sounds like too much work!

About the magic bug, do you know if it should have read 9/9 or 6/6? It may be related to the fix I did to align spell school names in dialogue.

No. It was effective ingame, the text was telling the truth. But there's not much I can say about this one as I didn't catch the trigger/can't reproduce it/only happened once and it could be something in the original game as well.

edit:

One of my characters (barbara, 4th) keeps forgetting her illusion magic at times. She has 5 schools known of 5 max possible, as do most of my characters. First I thought I had loaded a save where I hadn't bought it, but it now repeated again. It is not that the text display is in error, but that the entire magic school (with 3/3) disappears at some point (not sure of the trigger). I can buy it again and the shopkeeper allows it, so it does effectively disappear. This might be related to how gray (1st char) got extra arcane mp: 6/6 and 3 extra matches barbara's old illusion 3/3 (or 0/3?) results in 9/6, just a guess. Gray had less than 6/6 before it jumped to 9/6. It is possible that improving some magic school for either character was the trigger, but it is hard to guess triggers.

edit2: cannot easily reproduce the above either :/
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 01:10:47 pm by STARWIN »

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2014, 01:42:13 pm »
Some of the temple priests don't react until something happens. For example earth shrine at Crystal city if you haven't interacted with Albert in the early game. IIRC some folks in S Estamir, who look quest-related, that I didn't trigger in time. Some guards in N Estamir. Geckling guards. etc etc

Yeah, the priests were weird. Half the time, you're supposed to learn new spells from them but they wouldn't talk. I checked it against the Japanese version and they do the same thing.

Not so weird actually. I went to Crystal city ASAP as Gray, then I took a boat to Bruelle, from Bruelle I took a boat to Mirsaburg. At that point I unknowingly triggered some Albert's early event (storm). After that I appeared in the shipwreck (possibly taking the position of some monster? because one was thrown in the ocean :P). The dialogue there simply expects that only Albert/Sif talk to each other, but it still uses a variable for the speaker.

I checked the big Japanese data site, and it does seem like it's a bug from the original game.

http://www8.plala.or.jp/alice4/85.htm#04

Part 4, basically says that if you play as Gray you have an opportunity to reach Bruelle before 48 battles, which is the trigger for the shipwreck scene.

The main problem is knowing what the correct mechanism is, even if the japanese page is probably right. Personally I'm more interested in gameplay than non-gameplay problems like such small glitches (haven't noticed it).

Heh, yeah. Obviously since I'm working with text, text fixes will be the easiest ones to do. Though like with the example of a spell effectively giving you a second life, I don't remember any spell description mentioning that. Other than maybe, the text saying "summoning something to fight in your place" could be worded a bit better. But if "Way of Spirit" is actually supposed to raise Willpower instead of Vitality, that shouldn't be too hard to fix. I'll just have to check if it was just the pop-up that's incorrect, or if it's actually both saying "Vitality" and raising the Vitality stat as well.

I would avoid having event/story spoilers easily available. For character creation and stats, I kind of agree. Before starting the game I used the character creation screen to create a speculative table of the game mechanics. Later I noticed a page with the real mechanics, which were very close. My current take on character stats is that compassion and charisma are not worth considering for any purpose really. For others I roughly know what they mean, and I know the japanese page could be used to make a (too) detailed info about stats as well.

The hidden properties of armor are something I'd really prefer the game to show. For now if I get an interesting armor piece, I check the effect tables from the japanese page and write them down to my notes. However for guide purposes it is also nice to not know the names/effects of those armor pieces you haven't seen yet.. but just don't code anything for that, because it sounds like too much work!

Yeah, I don't like spoiling things. But the game does operate on a different mechanic for events than others. A person could be wandering around the world or just grinding monsters without knowing that events are starting or ending around them. Maybe something simple like this page:

http://www.geocities.jp/norio_sukuryu/saga3.html

Where they just give events a short title, location and the number of battles when they start and end. The title might be a bit spoiler-ish, but that's the extent of it.

And yeah, I could do the item/weapon/armor lists, just as a side resource. I wouldn't code it into the game, of course.

No. It was effective ingame, the text was telling the truth. But there's not much I can say about this one as I didn't catch the trigger/can't reproduce it/only happened once and it could be something in the original game as well.

edit:

One of my characters (barbara, 4th) keeps forgetting her illusion magic at times. She has 5 schools known of 5 max possible, as do most of my characters. First I thought I had loaded a save where I hadn't bought it, but it now repeated again. It is not that the text display is in error, but that the entire magic school (with 3/3) disappears at some point (not sure of the trigger). I can buy it again and the shopkeeper allows it, so it does effectively disappear. This might be related to how gray (1st char) got extra arcane mp: 6/6 and 3 extra matches barbara's old illusion 3/3 (or 0/3?) results in 9/6, just a guess. Gray had less than 6/6 before it jumped to 9/6. It is possible that improving some magic school for either character was the trigger, but it is hard to guess triggers.

That's strange. So if you have someone who knows Illusion magic and another who knows Arcane magic, and those two schools of magic are exclusive to each other, and the Arcane user levels up his magic in battle, the Illusion magic user will lose their spells and it adds their max MP into the Arcane magic user's current MP? I'll see if I can reproduce this.

I don't suppose you have a save at that point where you say you reloaded and then noticed it?

Each character should have their own stats of spell type, current and max MP, and what spells they learned. If something is overwriting or messing them up, it may be because I messed up one of the script codes.

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2014, 02:01:38 pm »
Other than maybe, the text saying "summoning something to fight in your place" could be worded a bit better.

I haven't tried any summoning spells yet - but that wording seems fine to me, unless, of course, it does something completely different. RS3 had a moon spell to create a copy of yourself - if you are hit, the copy dies. Probably very similar here.

Yeah, I don't like spoiling things. But the game does operate on a different mechanic for events than others. A person could be wandering around the world or just grinding monsters without knowing that events are starting or ending around them.

I'd just say that time passes in the world based on initiated battles, and this may cause (is expected to cause..) events to be missed. But the extent of spoiling is a matter of opinion.

That's strange. So if you have someone who knows Illusion magic and another who knows Arcane magic, and those two schools of magic are exclusive to each other, and the Arcane user levels up his magic in battle, the Illusion magic user will lose their spells and it adds their max MP into the Arcane magic user's current MP? I'll see if I can reproduce this.

I don't suppose you have a save at that point where you say you reloaded and then noticed it?

Each character should have their own stats of spell type, current and max MP, and what spells they learned. If something is overwriting or messing them up, it may be because I messed up one of the script codes.

I already tried to reproduce the simplest case, couldn't find anything. I don't have a save near the trigger because I hadn't been watching for it. The other way around; I expected I had reloaded a save so I didn't think that there was a bug. I'll probably just buy illusion magic again and play normally.. while watching for anomalies there. Your item bug note just made me think that perhaps there is a possibility for spell data overwrite or such.

edit: Loaded yesterday's in-dungeon save, explored the dungeon level a bit by moving/reset/load a few times.. after that I notice not having Illusion magic for Barbara anymore. Earlier save before dungeon still has it. In-dungeon doesn't seem to have at all. I didn't notice anything yesterday, hmm. Illusion sure lives up to its name here. No one has extra MP, but the relation between these is a less probable theory only. I'm not sure if I have seen it level up from x/3 to x/4, so I'll try to see if that is the trigger.

edit2: nope, no obvious triggers yet.

edit3: This might not be enough, but here is the save: http://www.bwass.org/bucket/lostschool.zip

Middle slot contains last safe save in the town with Illusion. Right slot contains the next dungeon save without Illusion. I went to the lake and to the dungeon, and fought some battles there, with some saving to third slot and some resets+load third slot.

edit4: I tried to use geiger's snes9x for looking the trigger by setting write breakpoints at 7E01B8-9, but it seems that this emulator hangs in battle often. There's one thing to note: I think I saw idle characters hovering for the first time with this (outdated) emulator, as I didn't see it in bsnes 080 (which is.. outdated as well).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 12:55:38 pm by STARWIN »