News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Romancing Saga 1 translation  (Read 115120 times)

yuka

• View Profile
Re: Romancing Saga 1 translation
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 06:32:49 am »
I was just saying the other day that all three Romancing SaGa games for the Super Famicom might finally see a release in the next year or so.

Technically only 3 was translated, but it was not a very good translation. magno released a Spanish translation a while back and now someone is working on an English translation.

I know RS2 is still listed in Ghideon's projects on his website, but it has been sitting at 5% progress for years now. Do you know if there is anyone else working on RS2 at the moment?

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 02:31:56 pm »
I know RS2 is still listed in Ghideon's projects on his website, but it has been sitting at 5% progress for years now.

You place too much stock in numbers and website updates.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2014, 03:24:31 pm »
You place too much stock in numbers and website updates.

What else does he have to go off of? You expect him to know more from another source?
TransCorp - Nearing 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2014, 03:45:11 pm »
What else does he have to go off of? You expect him to know more from another source?

A fair point! Digging through my front page history I found a note from '09 stating that the script had been fully translated though; not sure why I never updated the game's page with that info. There's been more progress since but there's a lot that's still broken. I feel like it's sort of disingenuous to show off screenshots when a few button presses later the same bits of the game have a diarrhea moment.

JCE3000GT

• SARS
    • View Profile
    • JCE3000GT.com
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2014, 11:03:16 pm »
A fair point! Digging through my front page history I found a note from '09 stating that the script had been fully translated though; not sure why I never updated the game's page with that info. There's been more progress since but there's a lot that's still broken. I feel like it's sort of disingenuous to show off screenshots when a few button presses later the same bits of the game have a diarrhea moment.

Sorry to be off topic but I LOL'd at the diarrhea comment.  :D

1,045 video games and counting, not including duplicates.  :)

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2014, 11:23:19 pm »
Sorry to be off topic but I LOL'd at the diarrhea comment.  :D

It's not an exaggeration :(

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2014, 03:09:20 am »
It's not an exaggeration :(

Heh, looks similar to when I had forgotten to update the pointers for backing up during character creation.

Glitches are fairly common when doing this kind of stuff.

(Not so much the untranslated block, but rather the textures next to the NPC)
This is what happens when the game decides to use the spot I thought it was saving for text, for textures instead. :(  But there's always a way around these kinds of things. It's part of the challenge.

Mew seeker

• What are you doing there!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2014, 09:57:58 am »
Since you're working on Romancing SaGa, this website might be useful to you if you don't know about it yet :
www8.plala.or.jp/alice4
It's in Japanese but it cover lot, lot and lot of stuff on the game.
Well, good luck. ^^

tathra

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2014, 06:20:33 pm »
awesome, i've been wanting to play RS1 (and 2) forever.  the RS3 patch wasn't ever actually finished, but its a damn great game too.  Minstrel's Song was ok, but i'd still like to be able to play the original since i don't care all that much for the remake's style.

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2014, 12:34:17 am »
Since you're working on Romancing SaGa, this website might be useful to you if you don't know about it yet :
www8.plala.or.jp/alice4
It's in Japanese but it cover lot, lot and lot of stuff on the game.
Well, good luck. ^^

Thanks for the link. Right off the bat, the one with the maps is going to be very useful. It also confirms that the original game only allowed a player to get 8 out of the 10 Destiny Stones. They added the Diamond in the WSC remake, and all 10 can be found in the PS2 game.

awesome, i've been wanting to play RS1 (and 2) forever.  the RS3 patch wasn't ever actually finished, but its a damn great game too.  Minstrel's Song was ok, but i'd still like to be able to play the original since i don't care all that much for the remake's style.

I watched my brother play through the PS2 game, and it does seem almost like a completely different game. I'm not sure if it was a re-imagining of it, or the producer putting in things that they wanted to for the SFC version but couldn't.

Hoky

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2014, 02:27:51 am »
Unfortunately I haven't seen Catx since probably 2002. Shujin I lost contact with right away. If you'd like to hang out with some of the folks who used to populate #romhack back in the day, check out the IRC channel listed here on RHDN (#romhacking.net on synirc.net). Most of the folks who used to be there have gone their own ways though. It seems people lost interest after growing up. ;)

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2014, 05:15:06 am »
I've updated the top post with a link to a playable alpha version of the translation. I think the game is almost in the right condition to have testing begin, though there is still the maps and intro to do. I also wanted to release what's been done because I've finally found a job  :)  and my free time will drop dramatically once I start working in another week. And I don't want to have another situation where I disappear off the internet without leaving anything behind.

There shouldn't be any showstopper bugs left, though I hope to confirm that through testing. But just in case, if you do decide to play it, save often. The game uses a lot of scripting commands to jump everywhere in the story, and there might be a possibility that it jumps somewhere that it shouldn't.

And of course, if you discover any bugs or see dialogue that needs correcting, please let me know. Thank you for your time.

sillik

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2014, 09:04:18 am »
I'm playing as Aisha and the only things I noticed up to now are:
1. After one battle, there was an empty text-balloon. I think it was supposed to be "HP up!".
2. Some text-balloons disappear way too fast with the default text speed.
3. I think the "Miss" text in battle is a little bit glitched (when you miss the enemy, not the other way around).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 10:28:53 am by sillik »

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2014, 09:27:05 am »
A Romancing Saga 1 translation...? This must be a dream!

I've always wanted to play the 3 Saga games for Super Famicom in English, and now it's happening! I wish you the best of luck on your project, and I'll look forward to play the full translated version.

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2014, 02:34:30 pm »
I'm playing as Aisha and the only things I noticed up to now are:
1. After one battle, there was an empty text-balloon. I think it was supposed to be "HP up!".
2. Some text-balloons disappear way too fast with the default text speed.
3. I think the "Miss" text in battle is a little bit glitched (when you miss the enemy, not the other way around).

Thank you for helping with testing. :)

1. Yeah, I had that happen a few times when I was testing it. I thought it was weird that that was the only one that wouldn't appear. I'll try to track it down and see what's wrong.
2. Do you mean like the intros or cutscenes where messages stay visible for a second or two? I can extend the timer when it pauses if people need more time to read the text.
3. What do you mean by glitched? Can you post a screenshot or describe what you mean? The status text pop-ups were one of the last things I worked on, and I hadn't really tested it thoroughly.

A Romancing Saga 1 translation...? This must be a dream!

I've always wanted to play the 3 Saga games for Super Famicom in English, and now it's happening! I wish you the best of luck on your project, and I'll look forward to play the full translated version.

Thank you for your support. :)  Hopefully it won't be much longer until this one is finished.

sillik

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2014, 04:13:30 pm »
2. Do you mean like the intros or cutscenes where messages stay visible for a second or two? I can extend the timer when it pauses if people need more time to read the text.
3. What do you mean by glitched? Can you post a screenshot or describe what you mean? The status text pop-ups were one of the last things I worked on, and I hadn't really tested it thoroughly.

2. Yes, they're the ones I meant. They only flashed for a second, so I had to pause to read the text.
It's easy to simulate if you use the Ice Javelin magic. (Yes, the "Miss" text on the first shot is that white "H" thing.)

Other than these minor bugs and the things you mentioned in the first post, the translation is perfect so far. :)
I'm really enjoying this.

Verba93

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2014, 11:30:13 am »
First of all, let me say that this is an awesome project I have been looking forward to ever since I first played Romancing Saga 3 in Spanish! Unfortunately though, I stumbled upon some bugs (I know it's not finished, so it's best to report them now, I guess). If you're already aware of them, even better.

1) I don't remember the name of the town, unfortunately. But it was in Gray's scenario, relatively early on. In the upper right corner of the town, there were two sailors that offered to transport you to two other towns. When you refused their offer, the screen became pinkishly garbled and apparently showed broken tiles. I couldn't solve the problem, neither by opening the menu and leaving, nor by entering and exiting a house, so I assume it'd be impossible to fix once it happened.

2) This is a two in one problem. In Gray's scenario, you have a mage named Myriam with you. I tried to teach her Light magic as soon as possible, so I went to a magic shop and bought Starlight, I believe it was. When I then entered combat however, I couldn't select light magic. It was as if I hite the B button and reseted a selected action for her. In the menu I realized that she indeed had a list for Light magic, but it was empty. The spell didn't show up. I then went to the same magic shop to buy the spell again, but the merchant told me "You already know this spell!", so I couldn't fix it. I didn't yet try if it changes when I learn another spell of the same type. The same happens with Arcance magic, too, by the way. With Energy Bolt in that case.

Anyway, keep up the awesome work, apart from these few flaws, I think it's already very well playable!

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2014, 12:37:03 pm »
First of all, let me say that this is an awesome project I have been looking forward to ever since I first played Romancing Saga 3 in Spanish! Unfortunately though, I stumbled upon some bugs (I know it's not finished, so it's best to report them now, I guess). If you're already aware of them, even better.

1) I don't remember the name of the town, unfortunately. But it was in Gray's scenario, relatively early on. In the upper right corner of the town, there were two sailors that offered to transport you to two other towns. When you refused their offer, the screen became pinkishly garbled and apparently showed broken tiles. I couldn't solve the problem, neither by opening the menu and leaving, nor by entering and exiting a house, so I assume it'd be impossible to fix once it happened.

2) This is a two in one problem. In Gray's scenario, you have a mage named Myriam with you. I tried to teach her Light magic as soon as possible, so I went to a magic shop and bought Starlight, I believe it was. When I then entered combat however, I couldn't select light magic. It was as if I hite the B button and reseted a selected action for her. In the menu I realized that she indeed had a list for Light magic, but it was empty. The spell didn't show up. I then went to the same magic shop to buy the spell again, but the merchant told me "You already know this spell!", so I couldn't fix it. I didn't yet try if it changes when I learn another spell of the same type. The same happens with Arcance magic, too, by the way. With Energy Bolt in that case.

Anyway, keep up the awesome work, apart from these few flaws, I think it's already very well playable!

Thanks for helping with testing. :)  Did you find these bugs with the first alpha patch or the second one? I uploaded one yesterday that may or may not have fixed these.

1) That sounds bizarre. I guess since you say Gray's scenario and "early on", it wasn't the first town he starts in, Jelton? I'll try to see if I can find the town you're talking about.

2) There was a bug with the first alpha patch where the spell lists were still not quite working correctly. I uploaded a second patch that should fix that problem. But if it didn't fix it, I'll look at it again.

sillik

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2014, 02:14:34 pm »
I can confirm that the magic bug is fixed with the new patch.
I noticed it earlier, but I wasn't sure if it was a bug or not.

Verba93

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2014, 02:44:28 pm »
Thanks for helping with testing. :)  Did you find these bugs with the first alpha patch or the second one? I uploaded one yesterday that may or may not have fixed these.

1) That sounds bizarre. I guess since you say Gray's scenario and "early on", it wasn't the first town he starts in, Jelton? I'll try to see if I can find the town you're talking about.

2) There was a bug with the first alpha patch where the spell lists were still not quite working correctly. I uploaded a second patch that should fix that problem. But if it didn't fix it, I'll look at it again.

I used an older patch then, I patched my copy a few days ago, when I noticed you having uploaded a patch.
I will look into the magic problem later, but if what sillik says is right, then it should hopefully be fixed. Anyway. The town I was talking about was Mervil or something like that I believe. It wasn't that far into his scenario.