News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Romancing Saga 1 translation  (Read 115121 times)

JCE3000GT

• SARS
    • View Profile
    • JCE3000GT.com
Re: Romancing Saga 1 translation
« Reply #100 on: December 26, 2014, 08:22:35 pm »
I started Hawke's quest and so far so good.  The reason for my post is I'll be getting my RetroN5 as well as a flash cart so I will test this on both real hardware and the RetroN5.  I will give an update on both in the future.   ;D

Yea so the RetroN5 and this translation patch works perfectly.  Looks great through HDMI.  I'll be playing through Hawke's story so I'll report (and screenshot) and bugs. 

1,045 video games and counting, not including duplicates.  :)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2014, 06:25:01 pm »
This probably belongs in the hack ideas thread, but I think it would be cool to see a separate project that attempts to make the SFC version more like the PS2 version and fix all the broken/incomplete stuff in the game.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2014, 10:11:42 pm »
Or alternatively there is the Wonder Swan Color version which includes a bunch of beta stuff that was cut because of time constraints.

Isao Kronos

• Kiss From A Rose
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2014, 12:32:28 am »
That'd be neat if someone down the road worked on that, the only games I've really played on the WSC are Super Robot Wars games.

Still looking forward to playing the SNES version when all the bugs and whatnot are ironed out, though. Keep up the good work!

yuka

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2014, 03:29:48 pm »
Now playing as Hawke on my iPhone, works like a charm!  8)

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2014, 07:58:05 pm »
Currently playing as Jamil off a PSP. It's quite funny pissing off the poor kids in the town you start off in. Though if you have no gold and choose to give them a lot, they'll still give you the info on the slave house. They must enjoy all the no-money I give them lol.

All in all great stuff. I'm enjoying it a lot.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2014, 10:12:03 pm »
This is the last major series I have not really played (aside from a few hours of RS3 for the snes that I had to quit due to poor translation/glitches) and one hour of some psx game that I could not get into.  I am stoked for a proper translation of one of these games!  Is this anything like Metal Max Returns?  I loved that game.  I don't have many more snes rpgs to play (8 or 9) aside from the officially translated and really bad eye of the beholder, dungeon master and obitus or the real hard wizardry, might and magic (x2) or a few more unofficially translated SRPGS I need to tackle (Bahumut lagoon, fire emblem).  But I digress, this should be fun when it arrives!

seriness

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 01, 2015, 11:41:13 pm »
I just created an account on romhacking (which I should have done a long time ago) to tell you that I played through the game as Albert, beat the final boss (without any healing or cheats and without any deaths, must have been QUITE lucky) and only encountered two instances of the same glitch related with text. I don't have screens or saves to provide, but during certain conversations the font color, the speech bubble color and the background start rapidly changing colors. The following speech lines would become unreadable, but after moving around a bit the background graphics would go back to normal. The conversations ALWAYS triggered the same glitch, no matter how many times I repeated them. Sorry I can't be more precise about this, I was way too hyped playing through the game. Also, I never encountered any untranslated text.

Thanks for this amazing patch!

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2015, 06:03:45 pm »
Thanks for all the comments, everyone! Sorry I haven't responded to each one, but I do read them and greatly appreciate them.

I just created an account on romhacking (which I should have done a long time ago) to tell you that I played through the game as Albert, beat the final boss (without any healing or cheats and without any deaths, must have been QUITE lucky) and only encountered two instances of the same glitch related with text. I don't have screens or saves to provide, but during certain conversations the font color, the speech bubble color and the background start rapidly changing colors. The following speech lines would become unreadable, but after moving around a bit the background graphics would go back to normal. The conversations ALWAYS triggered the same glitch, no matter how many times I repeated them. Sorry I can't be more precise about this, I was way too hyped playing through the game. Also, I never encountered any untranslated text.

Thanks for this amazing patch!

Cool, congratulations! Glad you had fun. :)

The bug sounds like it may have been a text overflow problem. It's too bad that there's not enough info to look into it, but I'll make sure to double-check the dialogue before release to check for anything that might cause this.

yuka

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2015, 06:42:46 pm »
I've had the same problem in the early part of Albert's walkthrough and lately playing as Hawke, speaking to the bard who told me my life is full of evil good deeds (oops) and I should make a pact with Death before I defeat Saruin to recover some of Mirsa's weapons: the background becomes all garbled but thankfully it doesn't break or corrupt the game. It seems to occur on long conversations. I will try taking a screenshot and upload it here if I can figure out how. Unrelated note: this game is super masochistic but it is so addictive... xD PS2 was much better balanced but I love the old-schoolness.  ;D

Edit: here's a screenshot, hope it works

http://postimg.org/image/51r7o1yqb/
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 08:02:28 pm by yuka »

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2015, 09:06:25 pm »
I've had the same problem in the early part of Albert's walkthrough and lately playing as Hawke, speaking to the bard who told me my life is full of evil good deeds (oops) and I should make a pact with Death before I defeat Saruin to recover some of Mirsa's weapons: the background becomes all garbled but thankfully it doesn't break or corrupt the game. It seems to occur on long conversations. I will try taking a screenshot and upload it here if I can figure out how. Unrelated note: this game is super masochistic but it is so addictive... xD PS2 was much better balanced but I love the old-schoolness.  ;D

Edit: here's a screenshot, hope it works

http://postimg.org/image/51r7o1yqb/

Thanks, that narrowed it down. :)  The dialogue was running way too long without a break and overwrote the map/palette data. (The rest of it is supposed to say "make a deal with Death... It will not be an easy feat.")

I tested putting in a window close and it seems to have fixed it. I'll include that in the next update. I need to revise the text editor so that dialogues like this will be easier to detect. I didn't make the script commands for checking conditions easily apparent (in this case, your character's evil/good/neutral points and which dialogue to say next). Also need to fine-tune it some more to accurately count pixel width. Some dialogues are still overrunning windows because the text is too long.

azidahaka

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2015, 05:12:25 am »
Just hopping in voicing my support for this. i'm eagerly waiting for this to be done as a long time SaGa Fan :beer: The old SNES ones are Masterpieces all should be allowed to enjoy, but very unlucky/neglected so far.

This wil be a stepping stone on destroying the "SaGa Curse" :D

Hope RS2 and a reworked RS3 will follow in time, but this i'll enjoy enormously. Thanks again for your efforts!

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #112 on: January 04, 2015, 01:55:15 am »
This is the last major series I have not really played (aside from a few hours of RS3 for the snes that I had to quit due to poor translation/glitches) and one hour of some psx game that I could not get into.  I am stoked for a proper translation of one of these games!  Is this anything like Metal Max Returns?  I loved that game.  I don't have many more snes rpgs to play (8 or 9) aside from the officially translated and really bad eye of the beholder, dungeon master and obitus or the real hard wizardry, might and magic (x2) or a few more unofficially translated SRPGS I need to tackle (Bahumut lagoon, fire emblem).  But I digress, this should be fun when it arrives!
You can give Bounty Sword &/or Love Quest a try if needing your RPG fix ;-) if those aren't your type, try out Benkei Gaiden - Suna no Shou, Dark Kingdom or Hi no Ouji Yamato Takeru.

Ladder Yadder

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2015, 07:58:58 pm »
If you wait until the monster cave to recruit Theodore and Raphael then your character's response gets written into Theodore's message box:

This was in the previous patch though, I don't have a save to check if it still happens in the latest version.

Also if you save in Bayre Plateau it will be displayed as "Bayle Plateau" in the file screen.

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2015, 06:23:11 am »
If you wait until the monster cave to recruit Theodore and Raphael then your character's response gets written into Theodore's message box:

This was in the previous patch though, I don't have a save to check if it still happens in the latest version.

Also if you save in Bayre Plateau it will be displayed as "Bayle Plateau" in the file screen.

Thanks for catching those bugs. It looks like it was still in the newest patch, and related to how the window close commands reset the text drawing back to the beginning. I'll add a fix for it.

I think there was a request for footage of the game and translation in action, though I think those people have already begun playing it on their own. :)

But for anyone reading this and wanting to see how it looks, I recorded a short session on Twitch. Here is the link:

(Warning, slight spoilers!)
http://www.twitch.tv/puppypizza/c/5827800

I know I said I'd hold off on playing the game through again, but after seeing so many people here starting to play, I couldn't resist giving it another go.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 10:16:46 pm by ddstranslation »

azidahaka

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2015, 01:58:14 am »
Took a look at your twitch video :)  :thumbsup: Can't wait for some news, i've been:

twice per day :D

yuka

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2015, 07:46:22 am »
Finished playing as Hawke!

A speech bubble was cut and text was displayed twice during the ending scene:

http://postimg.org/image/wqrbfu7rl/

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 10, 2015, 12:31:26 pm »
Finished playing as Hawke!

A speech bubble was cut and text was displayed twice during the ending scene:

http://postimg.org/image/wqrbfu7rl/

Thanks for playing through the game! Sorry about the ending, it looks like I put the wrong window newline code for that part because I wasn't paying enough attention. It's an easy fix and will be included in the next update.

CalacaBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 10, 2015, 08:38:31 pm »
I know that Romancing Saga 2 is currently being worked on by Aeon Genesis. How about Romancing Saga 3? Is someone doing a new translation? The current one isnt very good :(

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2015, 11:23:49 am »
I know that Romancing Saga 2 is currently being worked on by Aeon Genesis. How about Romancing Saga 3? Is someone doing a new translation? The current one isnt very good :(
Considering the whole SaGa curse thing, team Mana Sword did great work 15 years ago. As to your question, I assume most of us noticed when traumafox declared his good intentions here (http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,14980.80.html).