September 25, 2014
Status effects, spell names and weapon skill names should now all be appearing correctly. There's one or two more graphical bugs to iron out with the menu again, but no major showstopper bugs left (that I can see). Once those are fixed, I'll move onto the overworld map, and then this game might be ready for testing. And in other news, I finally found a job! Obviously, I'll have a lot less free time to work on this translation once I start, but thankfully this project is nearly complete and I don't foresee any major hurdles left.September 23, 2014
Spent most of the last few days on trying to clean up some graphical artifacting due to the font code (like flickering windows and text). Text appears smoothly now, but there are still a few side effects I need to fix. Went through the editor again to format text and remove or replace jumps in dialogue, so everything should be working correctly. After fixing those graphics bugs, I'll finish up the combat system. All that's left to do on that is fix spell names, weapon skill names and status effects to appear correctly.September 18, 2014
The entire script should now be in the game. Now I can finally get back to coding. Found a few bugs with text not displaying properly, so I'll work on that next. I want to make sure that no text glitches will occur before real testing begins. Mostly pointers to invalid locations or the way the game combines text in a "modular" manner, like branching dialogue or re-using text.September 15, 2014
Currently in the process of transcribing the translated dialogue into the editor. There are 1022 "blocks" of dialogue in the game, some of them short and some of them long. Some of them even point back to other blocks for branching paths or to re-use text. I am about 1/3 of the way through so far. The tedium is the biggest obstacle, since it takes me a whole day just to get through 50-100 blocks. This includes re-translating incorrect lines, making sure things still point to where they need to go, and the usual editing to make sure it makes sense and reads like real English. And it's easy to want to take breaks constantly or goof off on the internet. Hopefully it will be done in a few more days so I can start rigorously testing it.September 10, 2014
Got way too distracted over the last few days, but trying to focus again. Still fixing up menus, but I think it's almost done. Or at least, done enough to move onto something else. Some last pictures of menus below. The 3rd pic is probably the first example where I may diverge from the official translation. I'm planning on calling the 8 schools of magic: Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, Light, Dark, Evil, Life, Arcane, Illusion.September 6, 2014
Working on the menus to get them to display correctly. I replaced the "hiragana/katakana" option in the naming screen with a whitespace command, and also made it fill in the character's name by default. Of course, you can still erase it and modify it. Here's a few more screenshots of progress.