News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Romancing Saga 1 translation  (Read 118661 times)

ddstranslation

• View Profile
Romancing Saga 1 translation
« on: September 03, 2014, 12:39:38 am »
Looking for someone who can speak Japanese to help with getting in touch with a RS1 info site:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=17885.0

The site contains a large wealth of information datamined from the game, and would serve as the perfect reference guide for playing.

Current Status: Officially Released!

The translation is finished! My deepest thanks to everyone that helped make this happen!

Here is a link to the first (and hopefully final) release of the translation. The game file that I am working off of is known in GoodSNES as "Romancing SaGa (J) (V1.1) [!]", and it should have a CRC32 checksum of: 9684526D.

Update to patch instructions:
Patches from here on out will need to be applied to header-less files. Before applying the patch, the file size should be 1,048,576 bytes.
Please verify that your unpatched file has the same checksum and file size, or there may be unexpected errors during play.

Translation Patch
http://www.mediafire.com/download/n0yaabs4l15hhaz/rs1_v1.zip (Updated 6-30-15 8:00 PM CST)
Download the v1.1 patch from this site! http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2377/

Here is a link to the text editor that I wrote in Java to modify the game's main dialogue script.
RS1 Text Editor
http://www.mediafire.com/download/f3q66ywjyfce8gx/rs1editor.zip (Updated 6-30-15 8:00 PM CST)

And here is a link to all the notes/files created during the course of this project. I hope it will aid anyone interested in re-translating the game or just curious about what went into the project.

Miscellaneous Files and Source Code
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9t7em75qie893ni/rs1notes.zip (Updated 6-30-15 8:00 PM CST)

Gameplay FAQ

Q: How long is the game?
A: It can usually take somewhere between 15 to 30 hours from beginning to end. Though experienced players can probably beat it even faster.

Q: Is this game unbeatable?
A: There's a few possible sequence-breakers and bugs in the game that might mess up events, but they should be rare unless you're trying to trigger them. As long as you plan out your party and stick with it, and focus on specific weapons to level up with, you should be able to finish the game.

Q: Is this game hard?
A: It is! Some characters can have an extremely difficult (almost unfair) early game, such as Barbara or Gray. Due to the slight randomness of enemy types, you might get a Game Over in your first fight. And if you're trying to do every event in the game, you may end up in dangerous areas or dungeons that are too hard. Just keep at it, don't get in over your head, and don't save yourself into a corner.

The rest of the old content will be hidden in this spoiler:
Spoiler:
To-Do List (in no particular order or priority):
  • Haven't verified it yet, but I fear that having too many various items in inventory will likely display glitched text.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/86xav254kooh7yi/rs1_rc_060515_i.zip (Updated 6-5-15 9:17 PM CST)
060515_i Fixes:
  • Fixed bug with migrated world stage calculation.
  • Modified some events to be specific to characters (Gray should no longer be able to do Claudia's or Albert's early game events).
  • The priestess in Melvir's Temple of Elore should now sell Light magic more often.
  • Moonstone questline no longer has that invisible NPC during a certain cutscene.
  • Fixed bug with HP gain formulas (thanks AWJ!).
  • Made a small tweak to battle menus, hopefully lessens the flickering text.
  • Minor text corrections.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/lkpafcfk1zf6di3/rs1_rc_053115_h.zip (Updated 5-31-15 2:30 PM CST)
053115_h Fixes:
  • Experimental build! Hopefully everything still works as normal, but keep an eye open for any bugs.
  • World stage calculation is now handled in regular 65816 (should slightly quicken transition between areas).
  • Magic damage being reduced to 1 point should now be fixed and deal intended amount of damage.
  • Healing spells now use Compassion and Charisma in place of the old Intelligence and Vitality formulas. A character with 99 max MP and 99 Compassion casting Healing Water on a character with 99 Charisma will do around 500 HP worth of healing.
  • Furthermore, healing spells should also get a buff when cast outside of combat (same formula as above).
  • HP level ups should be slightly easier to gain (original growth value was zero), and Vitality now contributes 25% of its value as a flat bonus.
  • Stat/status effect display is now handled without interfering with the bytecode interpreter, which should make it more reliable.
  • Multiplication occuring during VBlank should now use a product table, instead of the SNES multiplier functionality which was causing bugs with combat graphics.
  • Other bugs documented by AWJ have been incorporated (e.g. fighting the sleeping Jewel Beast should start with it asleep instead of your leader).
  • Minor text changes (added missing line pauses, changed "Meditate" status to "Trance").

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4mc9ci87mhz6o8j/rs1_rc_051715_g.zip (Updated 5-17-15 4:10 PM CST)
051715_g Fixes:
  • Fixed bug with exiting Monsters cave in Knights Dominion.
  • Fixed cutscene for Claudia's scenario to use player-entered name instead of the default name.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ysldx262fjwhu8y/rs1_rc_051715_f.zip (Updated 5-17-15 1:44 AM CST)
051715_f Fixes:
  • Modified formula for combat heal spells to use Compassion and Charisma.
  • Corrected various typos and text spacing issues.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/jxexv6sjyiwjm95/rs1_rc_050415_e.zip (Updated 5-4-15 11:24 PM CST)
050415_e Fixes:
  • Fixed broken cutscene for end of Water Dragon quest.
  • Fixed random whitespace in text when finding items from chests.
  • Corrected various typos and text spacing issues.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/lbi04yo31aic14q/rs1_rc_042615_d.zip (Updated 4-26-15 8:23 AM CST)
042615_d Fixes:
  • Fixed broken cutscene for end of second Knights quest.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/d6djm4h372c31zw/rs1_rc_042515_c.zip (Updated 4-25-15 3:53 AM CST)
042515_c Fixes:
  • Fixed various typos and text glitches.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ku1zeh3e2sd2ph7/rs1_rc_042115_b.zip (Updated 4-21-15 12:32 AM CST)
042115_b Fixes:
  • Fixed a few typos in Aisha's intro.
  • Fixed bug with amount of Gold overwriting or displaying too close to text.
  • Fixed graphic bug with Albert's intro.
  • Fixed bug when unequipping weapons.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/uoz95u5pzr2qbcz/rs1_rc_042015_a.zip (Updated 4-15-15 12:10 AM CST)
042015_a Fixes:
  • Major update to script, the story has been improved thanks to Eien Ni Hen!
  • Magic schools for Arcane and Illusion are now called Sorcery and Mirage.
  • Some item names, spells, skills and monster names have been modified.
  • Fixed bug with enemies running away and not displaying the correct message.
  • Fixed display bug for Leather Armor.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/o41ozd1y2n0n4ff/rs1_beta_012915_13.zip (Updated 1-29-15 5:35 PM CST)
012915_13 Fixes:
  • Changed patch format to work with headerless roms instead, see note above. (This patch is otherwise identical to the previous v13 beta)
  • Fixed broken ending sequences.
  • Fixed bug where summoned Elemental Lord names weren't completely displayed.
  • Fixed bug with unequipping a weapon and then canceling.
  • Various item/weapon/spell/dialogue tweaks.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/35wdvhvx9isydnu/rs1_beta_010315_12.zip (Updated 1-3-15 1:13 AM CST)
010315_12 Fixes:
  • Added window close tags to long dialogues to prevent graphic glitching.
  • Minor modifications to dialogue to fit in windows.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zpldhy5mav3wxhm/rs1_beta_122314_11.zip (Updated 12-23-14 1:02 AM CST)
122314_11 Fixes:
  • Fixed typos and a graphic bug concerning a long dialogue.
  • Edited Gray's starter event so that it does not require killing the target boss and should trigger as soon as you leave the first island.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/0f0slotu5x9eef9/rs1_beta_110514_10.zip (Updated 11-5-14 9:00 PM CST)
110514_10 Fixes:
  • More fixes for scene transitions causing corrupted graphics.

I am currently working on translating Romancing Saga for the Super Famicom. Here are a few screenshots of progress so far:

The font is subject to change, as it was just the one I had used from my earlier project. I have a translated script and various lists, but would not turn down any other offers to help with the translation. I plan to copy most of the translated names for people, places and things from the PS2 English release.

I have a text editor already written (converted from the KMT project) and am currently writing new code to recognize and draw proportional font everywhere in the game. Dialogue is working, will move on to menus and combat. The intro and maps will also have to be re-done.

I'll minimize this since I only wrote this to keep track of progress before the first patch release.

Progress Report:
Spoiler:
September 25, 2014
Status effects, spell names and weapon skill names should now all be appearing correctly. There's one or two more graphical bugs to iron out with the menu again, but no major showstopper bugs left (that I can see). Once those are fixed, I'll move onto the overworld map, and then this game might be ready for testing. And in other news, I finally found a job! Obviously, I'll have a lot less free time to work on this translation once I start, but thankfully this project is nearly complete and I don't foresee any major hurdles left.

September 23, 2014
Spent most of the last few days on trying to clean up some graphical artifacting due to the font code (like flickering windows and text). Text appears smoothly now, but there are still a few side effects I need to fix. Went through the editor again to format text and remove or replace jumps in dialogue, so everything should be working correctly. After fixing those graphics bugs, I'll finish up the combat system. All that's left to do on that is fix spell names, weapon skill names and status effects to appear correctly.

September 18, 2014
The entire script should now be in the game. Now I can finally get back to coding. Found a few bugs with text not displaying properly, so I'll work on that next. I want to make sure that no text glitches will occur before real testing begins. Mostly pointers to invalid locations or the way the game combines text in a "modular" manner, like branching dialogue or re-using text.

September 15, 2014
Currently in the process of transcribing the translated dialogue into the editor. There are 1022 "blocks" of dialogue in the game, some of them short and some of them long. Some of them even point back to other blocks for branching paths or to re-use text. I am about 1/3 of the way through so far. The tedium is the biggest obstacle, since it takes me a whole day just to get through 50-100 blocks. This includes re-translating incorrect lines, making sure things still point to where they need to go, and the usual editing to make sure it makes sense and reads like real English. And it's easy to want to take breaks constantly or goof off on the internet. Hopefully it will be done in a few more days so I can start rigorously testing it.

September 10, 2014
Got way too distracted over the last few days, but trying to focus again. Still fixing up menus, but I think it's almost done. Or at least, done enough to move onto something else. Some last pictures of menus below. The 3rd pic is probably the first example where I may diverge from the official translation. I'm planning on calling the 8 schools of magic: Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, Light, Dark, Evil, Life, Arcane, Illusion.

Spoiler:

September 6, 2014
Working on the menus to get them to display correctly. I replaced the "hiragana/katakana" option in the naming screen with a whitespace command, and also made it fill in the character's name by default. Of course, you can still erase it and modify it. Here's a few more screenshots of progress.

Spoiler:

I can imagine people's reactions might include, "Why Romancing Saga?" or "There's already a remake on the WSC and PS2, this is a waste of time." I guess it's because I have a bit of history with this game.

I was one of the people that worked on the RS1 translation with Shujin-Rik, Cataclysm-X, Hoky and Frank Hughes all those years ago. I know I just released a translation for Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei, which represented to me, something from my past that I had to atone for. If that was such a thing, then this game is truly the project that I have to make right. I have to complete this. Even if someone were to come out tomorrow with a completed or even better translation, I would still finish this up on my own.

I owe the greatest apologies to all those people involved on that project, and I don't even know if they're still around. I learned so much about the romhacking and fan translation scene from those days. I remember when it was down to Frank and I to finish working on this. And how we'd take breaks playing Street Fighter 2 or Carrier Air Wing over Callus online. And how I eventually fell out of contact with everyone when I dropped out of college in 2005, I think it was. I had hated how I failed at everything I was doing, and didn't even want to face the world or my friends at that time.

But I think I'm finally ready to finish this. I have the knowledge, I have the tools, I have the resources, and I have the time. I won't let it all be in vain.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 09:46:44 pm by ddstranslation »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: Romancing Saga 1 translation
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 11:26:45 am »
I think you might be being a little hard on yourself, but the idea of coming back to finish unfinished business is quite praise worthy in my opinion. The fan translation community seems to have this pattern where people tend to lose interest over a period of time and slowly fade away. Some of them might like to leave their work behind for others to finish, but sometimes they just completely forget and I don't think it's ever intentional. This is what happened with FH I believe. He was still working on Romancing Saga 1 back in 2006 (The last post from his site) and he said that if he didn't finish the project, he would release everything, but that never happened. You've broken a pattern that many succumb to.

Also please don't feel so bad about taking so long to get back to things. My friend Esperknight started work on his Megami Tensei Famicom translation back in the late 90s. So you are not the first person to have such a long history with a project.

Anyhow, I think the project is really cool. I heard that the game had event code embedded in the script, which makes translating it a pain in the ass. I also used to own the PS2 version, but I still always wanted to see the original game translated. Maybe I'm a purist like that, but if anything it maybe provides historical comparisons.

Also, going on the names and whatnot. I see no problem in carrying over the names, but I would recommend keeping the original names where the translated names are completely different.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 06:39:14 pm by Pennywise »

jobless_floppy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 12:15:21 pm »
Good luck, the KMT translation was great and I'm sure this one will be as well.

Hoky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 09:26:23 pm »
Holy crap! I'm not sure who you are (what was your #romhack nick?) but I hope you're successful! Wow that's a blast from my past! :D

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 10:03:48 pm »
I am so glad RS1 will get some love.  I wish you well on this project.  :and

P.S. I own and love the PS2 release so I'm thrilled that you'll be incorporating at least something from it. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 08:24:33 pm by JCE3000GT »

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 10:16:12 pm »
I think you might be being a little hard on yourself, but the idea of coming back to finish unfinished business is quite praise worthy in my opinion. The fan translation community seems to have this pattern where people tend to lose interest over a period of time and slowly fade away. Some of them might like to leave their work behind for others to finish, but sometimes they just completely forget and I don't think it's ever intentional. This is what happened with FH I believe. He was still working on Romancing Saga 1 back in 2006 (The last post from his site) and he said that if he didn't finish the project, he would release everything, but that never happened. You've broken a pattern that many succumb to.

Also please don't feel so bad about taking so long to get back to things. My friend Esperknight started work on his Megami Tensei Famicom translation back in the late 90s. So you are not the first person to have such a long history with a project.

Anyhow, I think the project is really cool. I heard that the game had event code embedded in the script, which makes translating it a pain in the ass. I also used to own the PS2 version, but I still always wanted to see the original game translated. Maybe I'm a purist like that, but if anything it maybe provides historical comparisons.

Also, going on the names and whatnot. I see no problem in carrying over the names, but I would recommend keeping the original names where the translated names are completely different.

Thanks. I wish I had kept contact with F.H because he was still determined to keep working on RS1, even after the rest of us had given up. I helped him out a bit with playtesting and proofreading with his other projects on the side, but I think he still felt responsible to seeing RS1 finished. After I cut off contact with everyone, I'm not sure what happened to him. I hope he can see this message or is still out there.

Finishing this project might make me feel relieved, but I still regret losing touch with my friends. I at least owed them an explanation. And I am looking forward to the Megami Tensei translation still. I have a soft spot for the original versions of games. :)

Yeah, it has scripting commands in the dialogue, but it's not much worse than what KMT had. I should have them all accounted for in the editor now. And I still have Shujin's translated script, and if there's any holes I'll try to fill them in.

They did have some different names, like the 4 elemental lords and a few characters. Flame Tyrant to Pyrix, Water Dragon to Strom, Ahmad to Wuhan, or Destiny Stone to Fatestone. I'll leave major retranslations like those to use the original SFC name. But things like Knightheart to Neidhart or Wape to Oapu, I'll use the PS2 nomenclature.

Good luck, the KMT translation was great and I'm sure this one will be as well.

Thanks. I'll try to do a good job with it. :)

Holy crap! I'm not sure who you are (what was your #romhack nick?) but I hope you're successful! Wow that's a blast from my past! :D

Hoky, don't you remember me? :)  Makoknight, or David? We were handling the hacking part while Shujin was translating and Cataclysm managed the website? And then Shujin brought in Frank when we reached our limit?

I think I bit off more than I could chew with Romancing Saga, though. But I still kept all of our files and scripts. I think I can get this project finally finished. No more Saga curse.

I am so glad RS1 will get some love.  I wish you well on this project.  :and

P.S. I own and love the PS2 release so I'm thrilled that you'll be incorporating at Leary somethin from it. 

Thanks. :)  I know there's quite a few changes with the SFC and PS2 versions, so maybe it might still be worth playing.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 05:52:56 pm »
Fantastic!
I've been wanting to play this game for what seems like ages.
KMT has come out great so far and you have already earned the love of many of us.
Having RS1 as well will be a dream come true.
:cheers:

saito

• View Profile
    • .:TransGen:.
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 06:08:01 pm »
Hat off with your remarkable attitude sir, in my opinion is an example for romhacking showing that effort and altruist desire for completing that translation.

Good luck mate.  :thumbsup:
.: TransGen :.

Hoky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 01:52:57 am »
Of course I remember you! God I think it's been... what 15 years at least? Well I'm rooting for you. I'd love to play this game once it's complete. ;D

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 02:20:02 am »
Man, dds. You are translating each and every SNES game I ever wished was in english, save g.o.d. (which is ALSO finally being translated!). You are doing a great thing. If you need testing help again, you know where to come!

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 03:32:07 am »
Thank you for the encouragement, everyone. :)

Of course I remember you! God I think it's been... what 15 years at least? Well I'm rooting for you. I'd love to play this game once it's complete. ;D

Thanks, man. :)  If you're still in touch with any of the other guys, I'd love to get in contact with them.

yuka

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 11:31:06 am »
Great!! Thanks for your hard work! There are still a lot of fans of old school RS games I'm sure (including myself).

NinjaTurtle82

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 12:55:50 pm »
Never played a Romancing Saga game, but this translation looks promising, DDS. I'll have to try it out when it's done, and good luck to you.

Lestat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 10:25:38 pm »
Hum, that's interesting, do you intend to release your tools ?

TheUnderfaker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 01:22:46 am »
I can't wait to play your translation! the RS games have always looked so interesting to me.  :beer:

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 02:46:23 am »
Thanks again, everyone. :)  I'm glad that it looks like I won't be the only one wanting to play this in English.

Hum, that's interesting, do you intend to release your tools ?

Sure, I don't see why not. I just modified the KMT editor to account for the new codes that RS1 uses. But like with the KMT release, some preparation has to be done to get the editor working. I'm planning on expanding the rom again and moved all the dialogue to the end, so it will look for text there. I did add pairs of "Japanese" and "English" views so that one can simply view the Japanese text in the original game.

I'll also see if I can make it more "localization" friendly. Lists of items, spells and monsters have been moved out and expanded, which hopefully will give enough room to edit. And if any graphics are troublesome to edit, I'll move those out as well.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 04:22:22 pm »
I have been looking for a Romancing Saga 1 translation for a dozen of years now. I know 2 and 3 were translated, but I didn't feel like to play them before playing the original.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 08:39:51 pm »
I was just saying the other day that all three Romancing SaGa games for the Super Famicom might finally see a release in the next year or so.

Technically only 3 was translated, but it was not a very good translation. magno released a Spanish translation a while back and now someone is working on an English translation.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 11:55:48 pm »
Never played any of the Romancing Saga games but I did enjoy Saga Frontier. I might not be one to give you a lot of insight but I look foward to playing all 3 starting with this one. My advice would be to take my approach to the script and that's localize while staying true to the original script.

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 06:13:46 pm »
Never played any of the Romancing Saga games but I did enjoy Saga Frontier. I might not be one to give you a lot of insight but I look foward to playing all 3 starting with this one. My advice would be to take my approach to the script and that's localize while staying true to the original script.

Trust me, these games are VERY good.  I really wish they were originally released to North America when they came out.  Especially Romancing SaGa 3.