News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Final Fantasy 5 - Faris and Lenna's age difference (spoilers)  (Read 2507 times)

Bregalad

• View Profile
Final Fantasy 5 - Faris and Lenna's age difference (spoilers)
« on: September 02, 2014, 04:35:22 pm »
I can't belive I never figured that out before now, but there is a major inconsistancy / impossibility in regard to the age difference.

According to the pirates themselves, when Faris was rescued she was barely talking and saying "Farisa" for her name. That would mean she should be about between 2 and 3 years old when she was rescued by the pirates.

However, in a flashback we see her at castle Tycoon being at scool and studying magic. She should be at least 7 years old in this cutscene, and she doesn't quite talk like a baby !

Also in this same cutscene we see Lenna which is clearly a newborn baby.

In the Final Fantasy wikia they say Faris' age is 20 and Lena's age is 19, but I don't know where those number comes from. Since Faris lies on her gender she could lie on her age as well.

The only scenario that "makes sense" in regard to the game, is that Faris was originally about 6 years older than Lena, but she magically became a baby again when she fell in the sea, and after that even she became younger by 5 years and had a 1 year old difference with her sister. However that does not quite make sense at all, even in an universe filled with magic.

PS : Also I've heard of people having blonde hair when they're small and it's becoming dark as they become adult, however, Faris and Bartz definitely are special cases. According to the flashbacks, Faris' hair turns from brown to purple, and Bartz' hair from green to brown. However, in an universe where people can have green / pink / purple hair, I guess that makes sense...

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy 5 - Faris and Lenna's age difference (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 05:25:40 pm »
I think it's quite obvious. Someone casts Old on her when she's a baby, and the spell wore off eventually.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 06:18:32 pm »
I dunno, Faris could be 5 or 6 in that scene, and Lenna could be 4 or 5. She doesn't look like a baby baby... Then again, does Lenna "talk" (make baby noises) at all in that scene?
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 08:18:16 am »
Someone casts Old on her when she's a baby, and the spell wore off eventually.
Impossible, the spell wears off at the end of a battle, so if cast outside of a battle, it would wear off instantly, having no effect at all.

Then again, does Lenna "talk" (make baby noises) at all in that scene?
Yes, precisely, in the japanese original she says : "Pa Pu Pa Puu"

I dunno, Faris could be 5 or 6 in that scene, and Lenna could be 4 or 5.
Impossible. We see Faris *carry* Lenna and take care of her *alone*, so she must be already 7-8 years old at least (but ~10 might be more likely) and Lenna should be newborn, it's impossible otherwise.

Faris should also have had amnesia when she was rescued, because she was old enough to know who her home was and who she was. (especially as a totally spoiled princess). The loss of some teeth in the accident probably explain the shift of pronunciation Sarissa -> Fariffa even at a relatively advanced age, and the growth of adult teeth explain why she talk normally again in the game.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 08:27:14 am by Bregalad »

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 11:41:41 am »
Maybe oldaga is persistent?
_-|-_

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 08:46:39 pm »
Yeah, I was just kidding around. I certainly don't have an answer for you. It's been close to 15 years since the last time I played FFV. I don't remember it bother me, so it must have been something I missed, or didn't think about.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

I.S.T.

• Ten years, still no avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 02:06:04 pm »
PLOT HOLES? IN MY FINAL FANTASY GAME???!!!!!!!?

Okay, seriously though, I can't say I'm surprised. FF games before 6 had the bare minimum of dialogue, and 6 didn't have that much more(maybe 30-50%). The story was of secondary effort for a very long time mainly due to space constraints.

One has to wonder if somewhere in SE there are ancient documents outlining a more detailed plot for FF1...
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 04:31:29 am »
Another plausible explaination would be that Faris actually isn't Lenna's sister at all. The game's events just tricked them both in believing they were sisters. Lenna's sister really died and Faris is someone completely else, much younger than Sarrisa was.

I don't remember it bother me, so it must have been something I missed, or didn't think about.
Yes I felt the same on my first 3 playthroughs, I didn't even notice this huge plot hole. How silly am I.

FF games before 6 had the bare minimum of dialogue
Compared to other games in the same area/system they certainly doesn't. Dragon Quest series or Illusion of Gaia series have much less dialogue for instance.

The story was of secondary effort for a very long time mainly due to space constraints.
No. By modern standards the story of FF4-6 might not be very developed, but by standards of the early 90s they were among the more developed in any video game. The storyline was Sagukashi's main motivation for directing the games, even before FF1 came out, which I agree sounds a bit ridiculous given the "storyline" of 3D-Worldrunner or Rad Racer (and even FF1, for that matter).

Sure there is Myst and other western games in this genre, whose story is probably more developped, but they are so different it's ridiculous to do a comparison.

And yes it's hard to avoid plot holes I guess. Even in the Ace Attorney series, which focus exclusively on the story, I found a few of them, especially in Apollo Justice. Ironically it's probably plying the Ace Attorney series that made me found plot holes such as Faris' one.