News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Nintendo's New 3DS  (Read 4166 times)

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
Nintendo's New 3DS
« on: August 29, 2014, 09:03:30 pm »
http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/29/6082243/nintendo-new-3ds-and-3ds-xl-announcement

I so called this, even though they said they wouldn't, they did, and now I can actually consider getting one.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: Nintendo's New 3DS
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 03:52:01 am »
Making a smaller/prettier version was to be expected. But a model with new hardware that has exclusive games is a dick move of epic proportions. Especially after the system just really broke into the market. 45 million buyers are fucked. This shit company can't be trusted. I won't be buying anymore first party games for my 3DS, that's for sure.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 04:24:06 am »
Having exclusive software is truly a dick move. As someone that hasn't owned a Nintendo system in years, and ended up buying a 3DS I can honestly say that pulling a move like this means that it'll be a long, long time before I ever even think about buying another Nintendo system.

Especially because downloads are tied to systems instead of accounts. So if you want to trade in your old 3DS, then there goes your downloads, or anything else tied to your system.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Isao Kronos

• Kiss From A Rose
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 05:11:47 am »
You can transfer from 3DS to New 3DS from what i hear, but only wirelessly.

khalismur

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 05:44:58 am »
Having exclusives is a dick move? Don't you guys know Nintendo already?? This has happened to every N-handheld except for the GBA;
GB -> GB Color, with exclusives
DS -> DSi, with exclusives
3DS -> New 3DS, with exclusives

This is standard practice from the Big N.
What really dislike is the company's naming creativity. Wii -> Wii U was already confusing, now "New 3DS"??
But I think this new revision will sell very well nonetheless, even when pissing off normal 3DS owners. Specially if they release major titles to it (Pokemon, Mario, etc).

I wonder how funny it will be in some years when people wanna sell "Used New 3DS" on eBay :-)

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 05:52:59 am »
Those older system came extremely late in the system's life cycle, when it was already phasing out. And the exclusive games for those were irrevelant. This one comes way too early and comes with a Xenoblade port right out of the gate (though even with new hardware, the preview video for that had abysmal framerate).
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

khalismur

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 07:06:24 am »
The DSi did not have many important exclusives as full titles, but Pokemon Crystal sold MANY GB Colors...

New 3DS will be lauched almost 4 years after 3DS. DSi was released a little bit more than 4 years after DS. Only the old GB Color had a bigger gap.

I agree this was a bit early for a new revision that recieves major exclusive titles, but it was not unexpected coming from Nintendo...
I´m fan of Open Source Gaming at the moment (Open Pandora, GCW Zero, GameGadget) but Nintendo does produce great gaming experience with their handhelds.
The New 3DS will be no different!

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 12:07:28 pm »
So, because they're repeat-offenders here that makes it okay? It's still a dick move, regardless of whether they've done it in the past or not.

Also, you could trade in a GB if you wanted a GBC. Here, you can transfer wireleslly apparently, but if you want to trade in your system to get a discount on the new release, you lose everything you've downloaded. For some people this could be whole games costing $50 U.S., DLC etc.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

I.S.T.

• Ten years, still no avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 12:35:31 pm »
Those older system came extremely late in the system's life cycle, when it was already phasing out. And the exclusive games for those were irrevelant. This one comes way too early and comes with a Xenoblade port right out of the gate (though even with new hardware, the preview video for that had abysmal framerate).

FWIW: the GBC basically took over and after a while all newly released GB games were GBC exclusive. DSi you'd be correct on.

As for Xenoblade: The original 3DS couldn't really handle it I don't think. The Wii is not exactly a powerhouse by any means, but the 3DS has a goddamned ARM11* running at 233 MHZ. Don't think it can handle the number crunching needed by a game like that without some major issues(Disgaea's DS port, anyone?).

*It actually has two, but I doubt the engine for Xenoblade is multi-core aware or would be able to get enough performance out of re-architecting it for a second core.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 05:22:38 pm »
It's a little bit discouraging that the only thing they can think of so far to sell this new system is a port of an old Wii game.

Especially because downloads are tied to systems instead of accounts. So if you want to trade in your old 3DS, then there goes your downloads, or anything else tied to your system.
3DS system transfers were introduced quite some time ago; more recently, they even changed things so you can do the transfer an unlimited number of times.  The only problems emerge when your older system is completely busted.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 05:51:55 pm »
You're missing my point with transfers. See, if I were to buy a new PS3, I would just deactivate my account on the current used PS3, sell the used PS3, and then I could donwload everything on my account on my new PS3.

With the 3DS I can do a system transfer, but I need both DS' for that to work. Which means I can't sell my current, soon-to-be obsolete 3DS without losing everything I bought online. Sure, I can transfer it, assuming I keep this 3DS, but I can't recoup some of my spent money until after the transfer.

Personally it's not a big deal to me. I haven't bought anything off the eshop specifically because of this reason, but it does affect other 3DS owners.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 06:19:44 pm »
I have seen two main sides to this argument. Those who rightly call out the scumminess of this move, which seems to be a gatekeeper move to instigate more sales with an underwhelming hardware "update" (which honestly sounds more like added headroom for some new OS stuff than actual stuff games can take advantage of). The other side are apologists which seem more interested in justifying the move than actually explaining how it isn't a bad move.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 10:24:57 pm »
With the 3DS I can do a system transfer, but I need both DS' for that to work. Which means I can't sell my current, soon-to-be obsolete 3DS without losing everything I bought online. Sure, I can transfer it, assuming I keep this 3DS, but I can't recoup some of my spent money until after the transfer.
...So, it's a big deal that you can't sell your old system before you buy a new one?  No, I do not see this as being a great concern to anyone.

If you're suggesting you would be able to sell your current 3DS on the secondhand market for a substantially greater sum at the moment than you will when the new model comes out, that also seems unlikely.  The new 3DS will be available at the price of the current 3DS.

The other side are apologists which seem more interested in justifying the move than actually explaining how it isn't a bad move.
We are not privy to the internal workings of Nintendo, ergo, how should we be able to explain their reasoning?  To assume malice or ignorance seems like an unreasonable leap.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:31:01 pm by Jorpho »

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 01:12:45 am »
...So, it's a big deal that you can't sell your old system before you buy a new one?  No, I do not see this as being a great concern to anyone.

It's a concern when you can't use the sale of the old system to directly finance the purchase of the new one. This is a huge deal for a lot of people.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 02:15:47 am »
I guess that's possible, but considering that prices on the secondary market seem to be kind of lousy, and considering how much it costs to purchase individual games, it just strikes me as unlikely.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 04:13:54 am »
Many people sell their systems back to chains like Gamestop when they upgrade systems. For example when the 160 gig PS3 was being offered for $200 U.S. trading in an older system would get you $90 credit towards the system, that's 45% of the system's cost.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 10:53:07 am »
Does Gamestop not let you do a system transfer when you trade in a 3DS?  There's money to be made.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 12:38:05 pm »
Last I was aware it was store policy to explicitly not allow it.

This is why I haven't bought anything off the eshop. I had an issue with my first 3DS's screen, so I asked about this. Since then I've been reluctant to purchase anything I may lose due to an issue with the system itself.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2014, 04:12:55 pm »
How bizarre!  I would sooner blame Gamestop for being backwards and unfriendly than call out Nintendo.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2014, 04:44:40 pm »
How bizarre!  I would sooner blame Gamestop for being backwards and unfriendly than call out Nintendo.

Selling digital content with policies and precedures like Nintendo does is the backwards part here! Tying software directly to hardware is completely unacceptable. Even if they (after a long time!) band-aided clunky procedures to migrate.