News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Changing sprites in Dawn of Sorrow  (Read 12964 times)

JohannGralog

• View Profile
Changing sprites in Dawn of Sorrow
« on: August 27, 2014, 12:19:48 pm »
I am trying to change the face sprites in this game. By extension, I would like to do the same with Portrait of Ruin, which seems to be set up similarly in the NDS file system.

Crystaltile2 gives a lot of tiles, but most are gibberish, and the one that look like something from the game seem to be distorted. I don't have any experience with romhacking, but is there some straightforward way of extracting and reinserting sprites from these games?

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Changing sprites in Dawn of Sorrow
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 12:42:23 pm »
I am trying to change the face sprites in this game. By extension, I would like to do the same with Portrait of Ruin, which seems to be set up similarly in the NDS file system.

Crystaltile2 gives a lot of tiles, but most are gibberish, and the one that look like something from the game seem to be distorted. I don't have any experience with romhacking, but is there some straightforward way of extracting and reinserting sprites from these games?
Do you mean change the Face sprites/The ones that look anime-like?
To what art style are you going to change them?
I recommend the Gothic-style of Aria of Sorrow and Symphony of the Night as examples.

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 01:10:06 pm »
Do you mean change the Face sprites/The ones that look anime-like?
To what art style are you going to change them?
I recommend the Gothic-style of Aria of Sorrow and Symphony of the Night as examples.
That is exactly my plan.

Dawn of Sorrow's Soma has been drawn by Kojima for Harmony of Despair:

Julius Belmont as well:

Alucard is easy, of course, and most of the other faces I can reuse from Aria of Sorrow. The rest I would have to construct myself.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 03:33:04 pm »
I have not got a copy of the first DS game to hand but the second one appears to have a bunch of .dat in the sc directory, no compression seems to be there and the headers do not appear to have much (though I have not spent time looking properly at this point). Wider formats seem to be in (set the width in crystaltile2 to 128 or 256 until you know better for a given image) and a mix of GBA4bpp and GBA8bpp formats (fairly even split it would seem).
I have a bunch of portraits in f_edr05.dat, those mostly appear to be artwork rather than the in game sprites (which are actually backgrounds according to desmume, however Konami are not noted for doing things well on the GBA and DS).
f_fbrau00 and 01 have some more images, as do many other things that start with f_f
There are a few 3d models abused as 2d animations of a sort in the second game, however firing those through a texture viewer says most are minor animations or backgrounds.
I am still working on the palettes (the image below has the wrong one is the viewer)
Anyway one image
http://imgur.com/V8aEeps

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 04:00:50 pm »
That is exactly my plan.

Dawn of Sorrow's Soma has been drawn by Kojima for Harmony of Despair:

Julius Belmont as well:

Alucard is easy, of course, and most of the other faces I can reuse from Aria of Sorrow. The rest I would have to construct myself.
Sweet!
I would love to see Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin done with proper Castlevania Style and not that anime-overused ugly one.
If you get some progress on this hack, please let me know, I am really interested.

I will see if I can help you with some images for ideas.

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 05:01:28 pm »
I have not got a copy of the first DS game to hand but the second one appears to have a bunch of .dat in the sc directory, no compression seems to be there and the headers do not appear to have much (though I have not spent time looking properly at this point). Wider formats seem to be in (set the width in crystaltile2 to 128 or 256 until you know better for a given image) and a mix of GBA4bpp and GBA8bpp formats (fairly even split it would seem).
I have a bunch of portraits in f_edr05.dat, those mostly appear to be artwork rather than the in game sprites (which are actually backgrounds according to desmume, however Konami are not noted for doing things well on the GBA and DS).
f_fbrau00 and 01 have some more images, as do many other things that start with f_f
There are a few 3d models abused as 2d animations of a sort in the second game, however firing those through a texture viewer says most are minor animations or backgrounds.
I am still working on the palettes (the image below has the wrong one is the viewer)
Anyway one image
http://imgur.com/V8aEeps
Thanks, that really helps. I had no clue about the width thing, I've been able to locate the portaits in Dawn of Sorrow thanks to you.

August 27, 2014, 05:05:23 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Sweet!
I would love to see Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin done with proper Castlevania Style and not that anime-overused ugly one.
If you get some progress on this hack, please let me know, I am really interested.

I will see if I can help you with some images for ideas.
For PoR, these two have Harmony of Despair artwork:

I can use that at the very least for the menu.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 07:42:14 pm »
Thanks, that really helps. I had no clue about the width thing, I've been able to locate the portaits in Dawn of Sorrow thanks to you.

August 27, 2014, 05:05:23 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
For PoR, these two have Harmony of Despair artwork:

I can use that at the very least for the menu.
Awesome!
Although I think Portrait of Ruin will be more of a pain than Dawn due to the fact that PoR doesn't have any gothic-art counterparts like Dawn with Aria of Sorrow.

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 04:42:47 am »
Awesome!
Although I think Portrait of Ruin will be more of a pain than Dawn due to the fact that PoR doesn't have any gothic-art counterparts like Dawn with Aria of Sorrow.
Yeah. The faces in the menu would be easy, but I wouldn't be able to get something consistent for the dialogue faces. That would have to wait. Eric Lecarde could be closer to his appearance in Bloodlines as well, necessitating a change of his ingame sprite.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 09:42:36 pm »
Here are some good pieces of artwork for PoR:

http://www.castlevaniadungeon.net/Images/Scans/PoR/pic_01.jpg
http://www.inverteddungeon.com/jorgefuentes/images3/051-brauner-art.png
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090413031833/castlevania/images/0/01/PoR_OST_Poster_Stella.JPG
http://4nabs.com/upload/local2/Charlotte_Aulin_computer_games_video_games_Castlevania_Portrait_of_Ruin_Castlevania_m296MdJB6c.jpg

As for Dawn of Sorrow, the best bet for now would be to grab the sprites for the Aria of Sorrow faces.
Most of the characters are returning ones, so you might have a good percentage of the characters covered with that game.

If there is something else I can do to help out, let me know, I am greatly interested in this project as I highly despise anime-like art in one of my most beloved franchises. XD

I am also fearing that some of the characters sprites would have to be made from scratch.
We can do a character by character search in Google Images to see if we can find something that resembles our desired point but that's as close as we could get by evading creating new sprites from scratch.

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 02:30:52 pm »
I now have my portraits for Dawn of Sorrow at the right size, and I'm able to export them. Only problem that remains is the palette, it seems.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 02:42:01 pm »
I now have my portraits for Dawn of Sorrow at the right size, and I'm able to export them. Only problem that remains is the palette, it seems.
You might have to do one of the following things:
1) Alter the portrait image colors so they fit that of the game.
2) Alter the in-game palette to match the image one.

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 03:49:58 pm »
You might have to do one of the following things:
1) Alter the portrait image colors so they fit that of the game.
2) Alter the in-game palette to match the image one.
I'm in the process of doing the first now. I was a bit wary, but so far Soma's portrait is still looking decent. It's a lot of work though, I'll post a picture here when I'm done with his portrait.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 04:36:58 pm »
I'm in the process of doing the first now. I was a bit wary, but so far Soma's portrait is still looking decent. It's a lot of work though, I'll post a picture here when I'm done with his portrait.
Good, I would have choosen the first one too since it is the more feasible of the two.
Can't wait to see your result :)

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 06:02:52 pm »
Good, I would have choosen the first one too since it is the more feasible of the two.
Can't wait to see your result :)

Clothes worked out, head is a bit fuzzy. Main problem was converting the illustration to pixel art, not the palette per se. Still, it's recognizable. Perhaps I could find someone to touch it up a bit.

Most other characters should have better conversions, since I'll pull those from the GBA version.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 06:29:33 pm »

Clothes worked out, head is a bit fuzzy. Main problem was converting the illustration to pixel art, not the palette per se. Still, it's recognizable. Perhaps I could find someone to touch it up a bit.

Most other characters should have better conversions, since I'll pull those from the GBA version.
So the pixel art was the issue?
Are you grabbing the exact prtraits of the GBA Aria of Sorrow?

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 06:38:00 pm »
So the pixel art was the issue?
Are you grabbing the exact prtraits of the GBA Aria of Sorrow?
This one isn't grabbed from Aria of Sorrow. Soma changed his clothes in Dawn of Sorrow. I've worked from his portrait in Harmony of Despair, which has the DoS Soma in the style of Kojima. AoS Soma wears a fur coat (which I'm going to adapt into Dario's clothing).

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 08:29:12 pm »
This one isn't grabbed from Aria of Sorrow. Soma changed his clothes in Dawn of Sorrow. I've worked from his portrait in Harmony of Despair, which has the DoS Soma in the style of Kojima. AoS Soma wears a fur coat (which I'm going to adapt into Dario's clothing).
Yeah sorry, I just saw the image from which you grabbed it.
It's looking quite nice!

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 04:40:08 am »
I've pasted Arikado's AoS pixel-portrait on his artwork-portrait, so I could expand it. It looks quite great when converted to the new palette.

Edit: I've finished all portraits, including the new characters. Now I just have to find a way to easily convert their ingame palette to the palette in CrystalTile. When that has happened, I can reinsert them.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 06:50:38 am by JohannGralog »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 12:00:41 pm »
I've pasted Arikado's AoS pixel-portrait on his artwork-portrait, so I could expand it. It looks quite great when converted to the new palette.

Edit: I've finished all portraits, including the new characters. Now I just have to find a way to easily convert their ingame palette to the palette in CrystalTile. When that has happened, I can reinsert them.
You're done with all the characters already?!
That was fast O.O
Did you also do the different faces for when Soma is changing or mad?

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 01:25:57 pm »
You're done with all the characters already?!
That was fast O.O
Did you also do the different faces for when Soma is changing or mad?
No different faces, that's the downside.

Oh, and I've recoloured Alucard's palette to the CrystalTile2 palette by hand, inserted it, and it works:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 06:50:59 am by JohannGralog »