News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Game-2014 (homebrew game for PC-Engine/TG16)  (Read 3506 times)

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
Game-2014 (homebrew game for PC-Engine/TG16)
« on: August 23, 2014, 04:35:22 pm »
Hey guys, I'm making an action-RPG game for the PCE/TG16. Old school style (over head/top-down).

While I'm looking for some artists and people to help with the final project, I want to show off the game engine too. I have some lame-ish place holder stuffs/graphics.

Anyone interested in making some place holder graphics for this 'demoing' of the game engine? Rip/modify whatever you want.

I'll post requests of what kind of stuff I'm looking for here (and update the main thread). You'll get cred (end game credits for the finished one) for development if I end up using your stuffs in demoing/showing the game engine. These graphic assets are not final in game graphics. So you can rip and modify anything else for any other game.

Here's an example of what I have so far for player and enemy sprites:

Some specs: the game uses classic nes zelda style scrolling (screen to screen). The screen tiles are 16x16, and the screen size is 16x11. The player and regular enemies are 16x16 sized sprites. Larger enemies can be made.

What I'm looking for so far:
 - items (money, crystals, etc)
 - different enemies
 - player sprites (different ones are fine). I was toying with the idea of having an second player option too.
 - enemy projectiles (whether they fly across the screen or not; could just be spears or sword swipes)
 - player projectiles (same as above)
 - enemy AI ideas/designs
 - player weapon/item ideas/designs. Falcom games are the influence of this homebrew, but there will be an attack button
 - dungeon/cave/town/house/outside tiles as well as maps designs.

Immediate things that I need:
 - status bar design
 - item screen

Are you border or looking for practice, or just wanna help out? Try your hand at any of the above. Any other ideas are welcome as well.

Here's a screen shot of in game action:

^- the tiles aren't actually representative of what I want. The scale is wrong (i.e. those mountains, etc). I'm looking for something more proportional (Look at Zelda Alttp, or Legend of xanadu I, or Legend of Xanadu 2); https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQDUwDX2ysU

Here's some specs to abide by:
 The master palette is 9bit. That means 8 shades for R/G/B elements. For editing (photoshop and such), I use RGB steps of 36. You can use the posterize function and set the levels to 8 to get the same effect/etc.
 Colors per sprite (16x16) are 15 colors. The PCE has 16 subpalettes just for sprites (separate from the BG).
 Colors per tile (8x8 hardware, but 16x16 for this game) is 15 colors (I'm reserving base color #0). There are 16 subpalettes for BG tiles.
 There is no tile flipping on this hardware. Only sprite cells can be flipped. That means you have to manually draw any flipped tiles.
 Sprites don't have to be limited to 16x16, but unless the enemy is tall or large - I'd like to keep most enemies at 16x16. I like that old school look.
 For now, only 8 enemies can be defined per screen (each screen has its own set).

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
Re: Game-2014 (homebrew game for PC-Engine/TG16)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 04:56:10 pm »
Looks promising.

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 02:53:04 am »
the sprites look good, but the background looks like dragon warrior, ie, not bad per say but super simple. Is that a limitation or just not having put in anything that uses shading yet?

Also, counter questions:
How big should the items be?
What types of enemies? Do you have themes in this game?
For the projectiles, yet again, how big?
When you hit the attack button, will there be an attack animation?

I really like this idea though. I would like to help if I can.

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 04:11:25 am »
the sprites look good, but the background looks like dragon warrior, ie, not bad per say but super simple. Is that a limitation or just not having put in anything that uses shading yet?

They're just place holder graphics that I ripped from Arkista's Ring (NES). They're actually not even the correct ratio for some stuffs (trees. mountain/mounds, etc). I have some Secret of Mana graphics that I ripped (cave, forest, waterfall, town, etc). I was planning on using them, but been busy with coding. Except for Adol (which I just recolored from the NES game), the sprites I got from some open source pixel art site. Again, all are just place holders.

A quick and dirty conversion of some Mana tiles..

to replace my existing dungeon/cave set:

The restrictions on the BG stuff is (for now): 16x16 tiles, 15 colors each, 16 subpalettes of 15 colors (though more like 12-ish since I need some for the item screen/status bar), no more than 300 tiles per 'area', and 9bit color. So yeah, that image is no where near representative of what would be in the game. Which is why I made this post  :thumbsup:

Also, counter questions:
How big should the items be?
No bigger than than 16x16

What types of enemies? Do you have themes in this game?
Theme is fantasy. So anything that fits that.

For the projectiles, yet again, how big?
the object itself shouldn't be bigger than 16x16.

When you hit the attack button, will there be an attack animation?
Ideally. For right now, since I don't have any time - I was just gonna do a slash animation in the direction the player is facing (like strider)

I really like this idea though. I would like to help if I can.

For now, this is all just place holder stuff that I'm looking for (original, ripped, or modified-ripped). I don't even have game story/writer for this yet (among the list of people that I'm looking for). I put out a few wanted ads for a bunch of positions for the final project of the game, on a few forums, but I haven't received any inquiries yet. My plan is to show it off a bit, to gain some more attention/excitement.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 07:23:24 am »
Immediate things that I need:
 - status bar design
 - item screen

What should appear on each of these?

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 12:05:45 pm »
What should appear on each of these?

Status bar: I'm thinking player health (bar, segments, etc), player magic bar, Enemy health bar (for the one you just attacked), enemy name (above it?), current gold, XP (number or bar), weapon/item for each hand, regular item to use (press select). If you can think of anything else. Something along those lines.

The game has items, weapons/armor (that you can change out), EXP, gold, special items, etc. Toying with the idea of doing 'stamina' or and charge systems for special attacks. So that could go on the status bar.

Item screen could show a list of armor/weapons to equip (maybe Ys style?), items for use, special items for story events, stats (hp/mp/str/def/mag-attk/etc), save/load. The item screen would be more of a mockup, since I haven't implemented items and different weapons yet.

Also forgot: the game is using PCE low res - so 256 pixels wide on the item screen (for now, unless I find a need for higher res on that screen later on).

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 05:03:19 pm »
240 pixels for height?

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 06:40:23 pm »
232 pixels for height, because some emulators clip the screen (and some older TVs too). Same for status bar, 56 pixels in height instead of 64.