News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda - The Ultimate Quest (ALTTP Hack for SNES)  (Read 5410 times)

SNESHacks+More

• View Profile
Zelda - The Ultimate Quest (ALTTP Hack for SNES)
« on: August 16, 2014, 03:53:51 pm »
I've currently been working on a hack for Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for the SNES. It's called "Zelda - The Ultimate Quest." Pretty much, this hack raises the difficulty of the original game, and pretty much makes it more challenging.

Here's the link to the hack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/itluxoj1bj3mqoi/loz_ultimatequest.zip
Screenshots: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wwxlz4bzjx5eyk6/LOZ%20ALTTP%20Ultimate%20Quest_00000.png
                      https://www.dropbox.com/s/vcfa5dfjqoljyjx/LOZ%20ALTTP%20Ultimate%20Quest_00002.png
                      https://www.dropbox.com/s/t97gz08e61blz6a/LOZ%20ALTTP%20Ultimate%20Quest_00011.png
Hope you all like it!
- SNESHacks+More :woot!: :cookie: :crazy:

bradzx

• View Profile
Re: Zelda - The Ultimate Quest (ALTTP Hack for SNES)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 10:30:51 pm »
Oh this is so much better than Master Quest.  :D   By the way, what rom you use?  (U)?  (E)?  (J)   And it have header or headerless?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 09:28:47 am by bradzx »
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

SNESHacks+More

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 09:29:06 am »
Thanks a lot  :woot!: If there are any bugs you find, please just let me know, and I'll try my hardest to fix them.  :crazy:

August 17, 2014, 09:36:52 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Use the (U) rom, and I'm not sure about the header... Try a rom with a header and without a header, because i used the ALTTP rom from [REDACTED], and it didn't specify if there was a header or not.

==MOD EDIT==
Removed link.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 10:37:42 pm by Azkadellia »

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 08:23:27 am »
Players, STAY AWAY from this thing.

The game can only be patched to US headered rom to load at all, but
aside the glitched title screen, naming screen and loading screen,

there are numerous glitches and paradoxes:

move this down and you are trapped undefinitely

glitched sprites everywhere

can't go through the door bug (trapped ultimately)

stuck again and can't get out

bugged text

can walk pass the wall to bg1

false bg definition (Link disappears in the middle of the room), guards on bg1, Link on bg2

bugged warp to Ganon

bugged Moldorm

suddenly in bugged dark world (can't get out)

another bugged warp, suddenly in false dungeon

another bugged enemy on bg1

bugged severely

beat the boss and go out, and you get this

the beam goes through Agahnim (unbeatable enemy)

and the reason for the Lanmolas being severly glitched

who puts a Green rocklops sprite into the boss room?!

and the reason for the Agahnim being severly glitched

who puts a spike block sprite into the boss room?!

A fine example how Not to hack.

SNESHacks+More

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 09:20:45 pm »
Thanks a lot... first freaking hack, and it gets butchered...  >:( That title screen is suppose to be like that. I wanted to make a different, random shaped Triforce. And you just need to learn how to navigate through the hack, you fell for a bunch of the traps and crap. :crazy: :cookie:

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 09:29:18 pm »
Sorry dude, nobody actually believes you made your hack this broken on purpose

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 09:30:28 pm »
It's not a 'trap' if you're literally stuck forever.  His criticism was blunt but with very valid points.  You cannot call a game breaking bug a 'trap', nor should you expect players to LIKE having to reset the entire game because of how that is.  That is not how any game, nor hack, should EVER be done.  If you want traps, do intricate puzzles that can confuse the user or takes a lot of thinking.  I understand it's a first time, which we've all seen worse, but take the criticism as constructive and learn from it. 
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Shadic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 09:31:40 pm »
No, no, no.

You don't get to say "Everything is broken and glitch intentionally!" We're not in the 2001 era of romhacking anymore, and it wasn't even acceptable then.

Unless you learn to accept honest criticism and can look at your work objectively, you'll never improve.

katage

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 04:14:21 am »
Bugs can be fixed. Once you've gotten this stuff cleaned up, I think you should get another chance, and not have people abandon interest in this hack because of a bad start.

But you really do need to fix this sort of thing up. You say you need to learn to navigate through the hack, but as a hacker myself, I would say it is the responsibility of the hacker, not the player, to make the game playable and functional. Until then, any value in your hack is not going to be seen.

Don't try to make the player dig for gold. They won't do it, nor should they have to. Give them something fun and you'll get recognized for it. Give them something hard and they'll walk away.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 10:45:19 am »
To put it in a nicer way:

Have you tried reading this
(read it)
http://www.romhacking.net/documents/314/

This guide can instantly tell you, what you did wrong.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 06:51:40 am by puzzledude »

SNESHacks+More

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 09:25:48 pm »
Meh, it's a cool hack. What ifzzz :crazy: :cookie: :woot!: :woot!: :cookie: :crazy:  :laugh: :banghead: :D

August 20, 2014, 09:27:57 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
No, no, no.

You don't get to say "Everything is broken and glitch intentionally!" We're not in the 2001 era of romhacking anymore, and it wasn't even acceptable then.

Unless you learn to accept honest criticism and can look at your work objectively, you'll never improve.

DUDE, WHAT DO YOU EVEN KNOW ABOUT FREAKING HACKING?! YOU'RE A FLIPPING NOOOOOOB, JUST LIKE ME! :banghead:
IT'S ALSO A WIP, BTW, SO YEAH, HOW ABOUT YOU ALL TAKE THIS HACK AND "DO BETTER" WITH IT! :crazy: :woot!: :banghead: :cookie: :cookie: :woot!:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:31:07 pm by SNESHacks+More »

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 09:48:38 pm »
The first step to being a romhacker is to meticulously test your work, when you make a change you personally need to jump to where that change is and assure everything is working as intended. From what I have seen posted above and your reaction to what has been pointed out it seems that you haven't taken this cardinal rule to heart. You must be more open to advice and critique.

Xenesis

• Syogun Changer
    • View Profile
    • Wars World News
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 10:07:12 pm »
Playing what you make is really the number one rule of game designing, modding, hacking, whatever.

If you can't play it, why would anyone else?

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 02:21:49 am »
Playing what you make is really the number one rule of game designing, modding, hacking, whatever.

Not according to the guy who invented Space Invaders :) He said you never play what you make.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 06:52:09 am »
This topic should be deleted. We can clearly see, that the OP made a post, which only shows his primitive behaviour. He didn't accept any advice, doesn't want to learn, and doesn't want to accept the work that we did for him to make his thing playable.

He is rather crying in the corner and trying to diss everyone back, instead of fixing the problems (which I solved in half an hour).
That's how much it takes, half an hour to fix all the game-breaking bugs.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 06:47:23 am by puzzledude »

SNESHacks+More

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 08:53:41 pm »

I actually did test it. Maybe I posted the wrong patch, because I made many as I went along, I just forgot to delete some of the junk ones.
And I mean, I made this hack a while back, and I just wanted to see how people would like it and all, so I'm sorry for my immature posts...
And I beat the game on this hack, so i probably did post the wrong patch. I can try to find it if you all want to see it.

katage

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 10:51:52 pm »
I'd like to see the hack, too. And I appreciate the apology. Those things can do a lot of good.