News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy Tactics KO PSP Released!  (Read 13860 times)

Eternal248

• Forever in a reverie...
    • View Profile
    • FFHacktics
Re: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy Tactics KO PSP Released!
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 12:06:54 am »
@Eternal248

oh wow...so the game generates all of the story the enemies when I start a new game ?

or is it more what ever team/jobs you are currently using ?

yeah, I seem to be pulling unlucky straws here  ^_^"

hmm...so the enemy accessories are random as well ?

those rubber boots shut down all of my offense...i'll take your tip and grind for some ice spells.

* here is hoping the next set of enemies don't absorb ice magic *

oh and the monks are the ones who are hitting for a consistent 60 damage.

I was really surprised when I saw the damage !!

thought it was a critical or something, but that is how much they are hitting my fully armored knight for. 

it is still surprising that I have to grind this much in chapter one...I am sure the game will get better, but this sure is a high learning curve.

By the sounds of it, the game generated Monks with high Bravery, which is what most of their damage is based on. The game generates units when you start the battle, not when you start the game. Honestly, you don't need anything above Ice 1 at this point. When you get to Chapter II and up, you'll be able to do Propositions to get a ton of JP and get more abilities than you'll ever need. :P

FFT's learning curve has always been high. Quite honestly, most of Chapter I was unchanged from Vanilla FFT. I just rebalanced things so it's a little harder (though still quite easy) to plow through the game.

The next hardest battle won't be until Chapter II though, so you should be okay for a bit. I'd advise getting an Oracle and at the very least, Blind. Blind (Umbra) doubles your evasion when a Blinded enemy attempts to strike you- meaning that they'll barely ever hit if you wear a Mantle/Shield or use a weapon with high Weapon Evasion and Parry. You'll definitely want a ranged unit (such as a Mage or a Geomancer with some Geomancy skills learnt) for the first battle in Chapter II.
I know something of cages.

break

• Teaching the unteachable
    • View Profile
    • breaktube's youtube account
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 11:19:27 am »
@Eternal248

yeah, the monks have a "air punch" attack that hits hard (42~46 damage) from far away.

* they also have the Item Hi-Potion and Parry/Defend skill *

the archer starts by climbing to the top of the building and snipes with the longbow for damage or breaking armor.

the knights have the Item Hi-Potion, Parry, and Defend skills...but also shields that block spells.

my level 2 ice spells only do about 20~22 damage, if not blocked.

* maybe because they have low faith ? *

I upgraded to a mystic and used umbra to blind them...but they still have 100% accuracy on their skill attacks.

currently have everyone grinded up to level 10 and they are still walking up to me and killing me off. 

thanks for the heads up about the enemy generation setup...I have been replay this battle about 14 times at level 10 and currently waiting for a good generation to make the battle winnable.

I don't like over-leveling, but I may need to grind to level 20 or 30 to get past this chapter 1 battle.

Pokemon Red 3DS-XL friend code : 1864-9639-1699 (Zeheart)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/breaktube
http://www.youtube.com/user/breaktube

Eternal248

• View Profile
    • FFHacktics
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2014, 02:27:46 pm »
@Eternal248

yeah, the monks have a "air punch" attack that hits hard (42~46 damage) from far away.

* they also have the Item Hi-Potion and Parry/Defend skill *

the archer starts by climbing to the top of the building and snipes with the longbow for damage or breaking armor.

the knights have the Item Hi-Potion, Parry, and Defend skills...but also shields that block spells.

my level 2 ice spells only do about 20~22 damage, if not blocked.

* maybe because they have low faith ? *

I upgraded to a mystic and used umbra to blind them...but they still have 100% accuracy on their skill attacks.

currently have everyone grinded up to level 10 and they are still walking up to me and killing me off. 

thanks for the heads up about the enemy generation setup...I have been replay this battle about 14 times at level 10 and currently waiting for a good generation to make the battle winnable.

I don't like over-leveling, but I may need to grind to level 20 or 30 to get past this chapter 1 battle.

As I mentioned before, grinding isn't going to help at all. In fact, in the case of battling Monks, it's just going to make things harder, since their HP and PA will continue growing steadily. You need to take a step back for a second and consider the following:

-Aurablast (Their ranged attack) deals damage based on PA, and is probably the biggest danger of the battle. It can, however, be evaded, which leads to my next point.

-Blind. Blind doesn't inherently halve accuracy. Rather, when a Blinded unit strikes, it acts as though the attacked unit has 2x its current Evasion. A great strategy is to use Shields, Mantles, and Poles/Rods with Parry in combination with Blind to reduce physical damage.

-Parry will do nothing when equipped on Monks, as Parry requires a Weapon in hand to boost Evasion.

-Low Faith is a HUGE detriment when it comes to Mages. The best mages will be units with high Faith and are Female- high Faith means more spell damage/accuracy and Females have higher MA/MP Growth than Males.

To give you an idea, when I tested KO PSP, I beat Chapter I at level 8. Grinding won't make things easier in terms of level/EXP- rather, getting new skills and creating tactical setups is what's going to make things easier. Keep trying! KO PSP is harder than Vanilla FFT, but you've got this! :)

break

• Teaching the unteachable
    • View Profile
    • breaktube's youtube account
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2014, 07:45:43 pm »
@Eternal248

whew, after a labor day weekend of leveling up one level...trying the battle...losing...leveling up one level...trying the battle...losing...leveling up one level...well you get the picture.

here is the team I was able to beat the level with :

Main - Orator lv.15
White Magicks
Parry
Equip Shields
Accure JP

Thief lv.15
Items
Parry
Concentrate
Jump +1

Geomancer lv.19
Martial Arts
Counter
Equip Heavy Armor
Accure EXP

Summoner lv.17
Black Magicks
Counter Tackle
Equip Shields
Levitate

I just really needed better skills to compete with their superior equipment.

Hmm...I did not notice any mantles or poles in the stores, before the battle.

Also, does low faith make magic do less damage on you ? 

Thanks again for your help and is the game making all of the enemies the same or 1~2 levels higher than my highest level character ? 

I have cleared the next two stages with no problems...now that the shops are selling better items  ^_^"

Pokemon Red 3DS-XL friend code : 1864-9639-1699 (Zeheart)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/breaktube
http://www.youtube.com/user/breaktube

Eternal248

• View Profile
    • FFHacktics
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 12:21:59 am »
Glad to hear that you beat the level, but that's -really- overkill at this point in the game! :P

Faith basically works like this- the higher your faith, the more magical damage you deal and receive (there are some exceptions to this later on). The lower your Faith, the less magical damage you deal and receive. Basically, you want your tankier units to have low Faith (although this will make them harder to heal/buff/revive with magic), and your mage units to have high Faith.

As far as enemy levels, the enemy levels will be equal to the highest level member in your party, give or take a level or so.