News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Game's that have caused you to feel emotion  (Read 9064 times)

realworksuks

• https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks
    • View Profile
Game's that have caused you to feel emotion
« on: August 11, 2014, 12:30:24 am »
Just starting a topic mostly for my own benefit to decide what games to play next.  I think if a game can invoke some type of emotional feeling then it has done a good job.  Emotional does not have to mean sad, it could mean many things such as jaw dropping disbelief at what just happened, fright, dread, etc.  I will start out by naming a few:

Tactics Ogre - when you are forced to make your first decision at the end of chapter 1
The Last of Us
Final Fantasy VII
GTA 5 - When Trevor is introduced
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 12:36:39 am by realworksuks »
Check out my gaming Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks

Jeville

• View Profile
Re: Game's that have caused you to feel emotion
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 05:23:45 am »
Chrono Trigger - my first visit in the Kingdom of Zeal.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 06:11:02 am »
It might be out topic, but games tended to cause me much more emotions back when I was an early teenager than they do now. In fact today games hardly give me any emotion any more - I just see them as a funny real-time embedded system to play with. I should also note that I am not an horror game player, if I was, those would definitely give me emotions, but I'd be too much scared to play them anyways.

Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy IX, the sci-fi chapter of Live a Live and Chrono Trigger are probably the ones that gave me most emotion back then.

First visit to Zeal definitely gave me a LOT of emotion,
Spoiler:
as well as the (very sad) destruction of Zeal

Nowadays I'm too used to it to get much emotions anymore :(

EDIT : And yes it's true that Tactics Ogre managed to get some emotion out of me even at 24. But I didn't think the choice at the end of chapter 1 was hard to make.
Spoiler:
I never liked Vice anyways (because of his rudeness and stupid suicidal AI) so I had no problem betraying him and avoid killing innocent people.
Spoiler:
The lost of Kachua was a much harder hit to me. I know you can save her but the requirements for doing so are ridiculous, and almost impossible to met without a walkthough guide.
Considering the emotions I had as an adult I would have been crying or so as a kid  :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 06:22:22 am by Bregalad »

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 08:18:25 am »
Anything with good music. Actually, any game that I think is good. Why would I play a game devoid of emotion? At most to see if the game becomes better after a while, or if I really want to play games with sequels in order when some of the earlier games are horrible. Expectation of emotion would still be the motive.

Now, I don't really know if you want me to just list all games I have even slightly enjoyed.. there ought to be more precise ways to suggest a new game to play for you.

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 08:28:23 am »
Mass effect did that for me on Balak's sadistic choice and the Rachni's queen choice. Never before I stood like 10 min on each thinking what I really should do. Hell, playing my second run as a renegade monster and going the evil choice on Wrex's choice. Since I am a fan of the character, all that happens in that choice is so cruel for me. Specially choosing the swamp.

Mother 3's act 1 end.
_-|-_

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 09:22:17 am »
It's a bit cliche now, and it's been out for 13 years, but FFX. Of course all the game's twist are well-known by this point. It also helps that after the emotional roller-coaster ride you end up with the Someday the Dream Will End, which is the perfect song to both make you feel completely empty inside, and drive you forward. XIII also wields dramatic irony like a weapon with some of the characters.

Mass Effect in general is an emotional experience, especially if you play through the whole series, just due the sheer number of deaths that can't be prevented no matter what you do, and how easy it is to get invested into the characters.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 09:23:54 am »
What made me cry:
FF6 - World Map theme and Celes
Spoiler:
both opera and suicide scenes
FF7 - the plot twist everybody knows
Spoiler:
Aeris/Aerith being killed
FF9 - when you get the airship
Chrono Cross - the opening FMV, Another World theme, and the in-game intro
Xenogears - World Map theme, when you get the airship, Fei's past revealed (the whole thing)

What made me go crazy (of excitement, anger or fear):
FF4 (SNES/J2E) - Cagnazzo, Bahamut and the final boss (SO frigging hard)
FFT - Wiegraf/Velius! (it was SO hard, never has my heart beaten so fast in an RPG game)
RE3 - Nemesis (do I have to say more?)
Silent Hill 3 - didn't clear it, but the mannequin room almost gave me a heart attack (detail: I was playing at night, and my family was sleeping)
Shadow of the Colossus - the 3rd Colossus fight (that huge sword swinging gave me the chills)
Chrono Cross - reaching the Dead Sea, the 6 dragons part, Garai and Dario (both insanely hard, almost broke the controller), and the boss at the top of Terra Tower (you know who, the song is so epic and exciting)
Spoiler:
and to be honest, I thought the 1st Time Devourer was the final boss
Xenogears - Opiomorph, True Weltall and the final bosses (the first one because it's too hard, and True Weltall and the final bosses because they're too exciting)
Castlevania SotN - entering Dracula's Castle with Alucard (SO exciting)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 09:31:48 am by Thisguyaresick2 »

MegaManJuno

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 09:28:39 am »
Battletoads.

RAGE!

And no, not speederbikes... I'm talking later stages. That game infuriated me so bad that it's one of the very few I traded away as a kid.

Clippit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 05:51:18 pm »
Hmm... let's see... there's games like:
Cocoron:
Spoiler:
Dat plot twist at the final stage... I didn't see it coming at all.

Monster World IV: warning: heavy plot spoilers ahead.
Spoiler:
I felt terrible when they made me think Pepe died. It was quite a shocker. Then he's shown to be alive... yay. Then he's petrified and pressumably dead again... and then he's alive again. Happy end.

Crusader of Centy/Soleil:
That game has an amazing plot, full of twists and "wtf?" moments. I can't recommend it enough.

Crash Bandicoot: Mind over Mutant:
UUUGGGHHH!!!! THAT GAME!!!! It was one of the first games I've played on the PS2. It was sooo short and crappy in comparison to its PS1 counterparts it made me think the PS2 was a waste of money. IT PISSED ME OF LIKE NO OTHER GAME BEFORE!!!! Wanna know how long it took me to beat it?? FOUR HOURS!!!
:Angry Joe: FFFFFFFOOOOOOUUUUUURRRRRRR HHHHHHHHOOOOOOUUUUURRRRRSSSSSS!!!!!!
"I swear my victory to this feather!"

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 07:21:14 pm »
Lots of games but Silent Hill: Shattered Memories stands out to me the most in that regard.  Killed me when one of the credits songs started playing
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 07:58:40 pm »
Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Fallout: New Vegas were damn good at invoking emotion out of me.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 08:50:19 pm »
Assasin's Creed: Revelations. That ending is pure gold.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

realworksuks

• https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 11:41:18 pm »
God of War I is another game that I forgot to mention.

In addition, Heavy Rain got me very involved in all of the characters and one particular scene really stands out
Spoiler:
The horror of imagining yourself in the main characters shoes when he is locked in a room and has to eventually make the decision to cut off a limb to break free (that is, if you are like me and didn't find another way around it)
Check out my gaming Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks

Malias

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 02:04:12 am »
If we're going for raw feels, I'll throw in To The Moon.  The characters and the way the story unfolds makes for an engrossing, emotionally satisfying experience.

I'll second Mother 3.

I'm assuming when you ask about feeling emotion, you're talking about as a result of the story and events that occur rather than from the gameplay/atmosphere?  'Cause I could go on for quite a while about games that made me feel scared, happy, excited, mad, stressed, etc. from just that.
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

Mew seeker

• What are you doing there!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 08:46:11 am »
Let's see, at the end of Final Fantasy X :
Spoiler:
Dad... I hate you.
*laugh softly* I know.
And also, that short moment where Auron
Spoiler:
does slash at the image of himself in the past.
During the whole game he's calm and stoic and so on, seeing him like that is, well it's sad.

Final Fantasy IX : this.

Terranigma : the goat scene. It's even worse when you come back later.
The part with Leim is just too  adorable. ^^

Breath of Fire 2 :
let's see, Mina
Spoiler:
becoming the Great Bird
, Rand's mother
Spoiler:
sacrificying herself for her son
, the whole part with the final boss starting with
Spoiler:
him killing your partners.

Asura's Wrath :
the final episode of chapter 2, after you know what happened. On top of that, the screaming that Ashura does at the end (at least in the Japanese version) is heartrending.
Also the 4th chapter (the DLC one) final episode. It super awesome with quick time event that get on par with Kingdom hearts 2 triangle button.

SD Gundam G Generation Spirits :
the MS Igloo's episodes. Especially stage 5 event battle. 
Spoiler:
They were just kids. ;-;
On top of that, the MS Igloo theme is awesome. (So are the Hidolf and the Big Rang).

Final Fantasy 6 : the opera. You know it's true!  :D
Oh and what happens after the floating continent part.
Oh and those events with Terra at Thamasa.
Oh, the coin flip event. It's even better if you then bring Sabin and Edgar to the opera.  :D
When you get
Spoiler:
the second airship.
The part with the ghost train. Especially the end. That might counts too;D
Kefka being owned big time at Figaro Castle.  :D
Gau meeting his father. There's not even a in game reward excuse to do it but I redo it anyway when I replay the game.
The ending in general.

The storyline of Mega Man X 4. "Victory" has quite a bitter taste here, especially with Zero.

Mega Man 5 on the game boy. Come on,
Spoiler:
Wily being zapped by the final boss
has to be worth something! :D

Kirby Superstar, Metaknight's Revenge (or something like that). It's neat to see those character speaking as you progress through the game.

Zelda Ocarina of Time : when you arrive in Hyrule town
Spoiler:
in the future.

Phantom Brave : let's just say the 1st chapter is a bit rough for Maronna. Only make the final episode more awesome where
Spoiler:
she kick the butt of many of those Ravens there.
Also, those parts with Sprout in the final episode. O-O
And then after that, Castille
Spoiler:
realizing Walnut's true identity.

Disgaea : the Red Moon episode.
That being said, the episode where Laharl is getting rid of all of those who would try to take his place is funny. (IMHO it's better with Japanese voices.)

Soul Nomad and the World Eaters :
that game dropped on me the mother of wham episodes at that part toward the end where you go looking for the last World Eater. Well played game! X D

Shin Megami Tensei :
Spoiler:
Japan getting nuked.
And that's just the beginning. Also, whenever there are no random battles. There is always a reason and sometimes the reason is something really, REALLY bad.

Seiken Densetsu 3 : the way the music change during the final battle deserves a mention.

Faxanadu : that ending when a modified version of the main theme play.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 10:44:44 am »
 Suikoden, probably. It's almost the only RPG I've played, sometime in '99 or '00. It was during my "I hate 3D games and the playstation should only be used for 2D gaming" phase.

The single-handed control scheme was a big-win for it also. I was surprised that it didn't become the RPG standard after that. (d-pad to move, L1 to accept, L2 to cancel, and select to access menu).

NinjaTurtle82

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 05:32:31 pm »
One that I can think of is Silent Hill 3 in Alternate Brookhaven Hospital in one particular place -- the restroom with the mirror. To me, I felt scared there, and to this day, I believe it's the scariest place in the entire game. Not that Silent Hill 3 didn't make me feel fear in other parts of the game, but that moment caused me to feel an emotion for sure. And that is fear.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 10:51:30 am »
No one has mentioned Nier? oh boy I think you guys haven't felt anything until you play Nier (AND GET ALL THE ENDINGS!). That game is an emotional rollercoaster.

(wraith)

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 08:26:47 pm »
Even with 25+ years of gaming, I've never really had serious emotional attachment to games, though in FFX when you finally get towards the end and reach the scene that plays out in the title card, the added context of what lead to that made me little sad.

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 07:05:16 pm »
If I'm going to add anything to the list it has to be Sierras Kings Quest and Quest for glory series.  I've played all of them minus KQ 7 and the final Quest for Glory.  Kings quest 6 specifically was really great, Quest for Glory 4 was the best in the series, the remake of the first was a lot of fun.

As far as RPGs go Final Fantasy 3 on SNES was a great gaming experience.