News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Removing Side-Scrolling Sections in Snake's Revenge  (Read 2026 times)

Artican

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Removing Side-Scrolling Sections in Snake's Revenge
« on: August 03, 2014, 01:10:07 am »
I'm picking up on a topic raised by another poster regarding how much better Snake's Revenge for the NES would be without the annoying side-scrolling sections.  I've done some investigation with FCEUX and have figured out where the game stores the room data.  I also found out that the game only references that section during screen transitions.  So, what I was thinking was this: when the game changes to the side-scrolling sections, replacing the current room data with the exit room data will essentially make these sections one screen long, rather than the annoying slog they currently are.

Now to my question: Is there some way to create an if-then statement that will change the room data based on a) the current room data and b) the horizontal position of the character (the game tracks the h-position in one address)?  I've done plenty of cheat creations, but never any in-depth hacking. I really want to improve this game, so any assistance you all can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Vanya

• View Profile
Re: Removing Side-Scrolling Sections in Snake's Revenge
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 05:30:44 am »
Seems to me you should be able to simply change a pointer to entirely skip those sections.

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 05:44:01 am »
In other words, find where the game decides to load that section and change that code/data. No need to mess around with forcing the annoying part to end early when you can just skip it completely.

Artican

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 06:51:01 pm »
Well, I'll explore that option of changing the pointers to make the side-scrolling sections not load entirely, but I would like to have the one side-scrolling screen to help transitions between sections make sense. Otherwise, you would sometimes be exiting by going down, only to be entering coming up in the next screen. Having the one side-scrolling screen would make that feel less awkward.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 07:10:53 am »
In that case the simplest thing would be to change the room data directly so that each side scrolling section is only one screen length long.
And you can create a nice section of free space while you're at it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 07:16:43 am by Vanya »