News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Breath of Fire III - Same music, different instruments  (Read 1253 times)

Bregalad

• View Profile
Breath of Fire III - Same music, different instruments
« on: July 25, 2014, 05:12:49 pm »
I noticed a particular piece of music in Breath of Fire III was played with different instrument sets.

videos of the 3 versions I've noticed so far :
Version 1 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=R8Ua1pZ-Iek#t=34
Version 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Tm9-6AYVd-c#t=312
Version 3 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dlLfottwsao#t=462

They are NOT remix, it's the exact same song just with different patches.

I wonder if this is intentional, or if this is a bug in the game. Anyone with good Romhacking knowledge knowns if those 3 versions were introduced on purpose, or if it is just a glich because the song is played with a different instrument set loaded in the sound RAM of the Playstation.
Only Version 2 is in the soundtrack.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
Re: Breath of Fire III - Same music, different instruments
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 05:35:56 pm »
I believe those are just arrangements or orchestration, and that it's intentional. The BoF3 soundtrack is seriously lacking, so arranged versions of a song not showing up isn't a big surprise.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 05:39:02 pm »
It is not arranged, it is 100% identical, just with swapped instruments.

Did you listen the links I provided ?

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 05:50:20 pm »
That's what Orchestration is. I used arranged for shorthand, because that's what people associate with the word. It's technically called orchestral adaptation.

Edit: Things like transposing notes for various instruments fall under that banner.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 09:59:21 am »
Ok, so you imagine it's intentionnal, but actually I was expeting a more romhacking-based technical proof that it's intentional and not just a bug.

The Playstation has only 512kb of sound RAM so the game loads different music instruments when playing a new song. Those are in the /bin/BGM/ folder. There is 81 different sound banks, but my PSF collection has 101 files, which means some of the sound banks are reused at times.

This means that when playing a music, the game loading the sound banks is probably semi-independent from loading the music itslef. If the game forgets to load a sound bank or load a wrong one because of a programming error, then playing song will sound different.

Apparently version 1 of this song is played with the BGM052.EMI soundbank, version 2 with BGM067.EMI, and I'm not sure about version 3 (pehaps BGM023.EMI ?).

If anyone knowns better than I
*) Where the music data itself is stored. There is non-sample data at the start of EMI files, but I'm not sure if this is music data or simply some kind of header for the soundbank itself.
*) If this music is stored multiple times or only one time
*) If the loading of the same song with different EMI is intentional or not

Just "guessing" it's intentional is not enough, sorry :(
Unfortunately I'm not very knowledgeable about PS1 reverse-engineering, so that's as far as I can go.

And yeah the soundtrack is pretty lacking, but clearly not as much as BOF2. There is still aprox. 100 pieces of music technically, and this song is here only once in the sountrack (in it's form of version 2).