News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: An academic look at Breath of Fire: Dragon Queater's translation... in Spanish?  (Read 3158 times)

Celice

• View Profile
https://www.academia.edu/7610138/_TFM_Traduccion_2014_Powerpoint_El_error_de_traduccion_en_la_localizacion_de_videojuegos_El_caso_de_Breath_of_Fire_Dragon_Quarter

Though I'd share this for anyone interested in the stuff. I'm super interested in localization and translation and how the two poles meet and sometimes obliterate one another. This came up on one of my feeds, but I don't have a good grasp of its language.
I also couldn't decide where this would be best placed :< I tossed it here, as many fan translators for games also dabble in romhacking.

VicVergil

• View Profile
That's odd... I know as a matter of fact that the French and Spanish translations for at least Ace Attorney 3/4/Ghost Trick from around the same era were a brilliant balance between localization and translation. (they have since stopped doing European translations altogether for the most part)
Then again, it's the same company that churned out stuff like Breath of Fire II, so I shouldn't be that surprised.

If anyone wants to have an academic look on the matter, these would be the most interesting cases:
* NoE SNES RPG localizations: Secret of Mana (FR/GR), and every German translation ever from that era
* European Final Fantasy VII localizations

* Sengoku Basara 1 (US), Yakuza 3 (US)

* Working Designs work, from Lunar to their late offerings
* Ted Woosley translations

EDIT: Oh, and it seems he mentioned Spanish fan-translations for Wizard of Oz and that Devil Summoner 1 DS game. That's... neat, I guess.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 01:09:10 pm by GHANMI »

Leeg

• View Profile
I have to admit I'd had never expected to see my academic work around here... I'm very impressed :O

If you are interested, I've uploaded the whole paper today. Although it's in Spanish (sorry, I couldn't do it in English because it had to be written under some rules imposed by my University).
http://tiny.cc/cy72ix

By the way, The Wizard of Oz and Devil Survivor 1 translations are mine too (the latter is being done by a group of people and I'm the leader, or sort of...) I've just used them as examples of how video games parse text ingame. ;)

Oh, and before I forget: I have a collection of academic bibliography on the topic of Video Game Localization, if you are interested take a look at this:
http://tiny.cc/l10nbib

(there are entries both in Spanish and in English)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 05:26:10 pm by Leeg »

TheFireRed

• Restricted Access
  • Fall of Fall
    • View Profile
I knew it had something to do with you, Leeg. I'm reading it and I must say it's really impressive!  :beer:

Leeg

• View Profile
I knew it had something to do with you, Leeg. I'm reading it and I must say it's really impressive!  :beer:

Thanks ;) I hope you enjoy your reading.

Celice

• View Profile
Wow...! Legit seeing you here dude  :beer:  I wish I could read it--I had a very small amount of Spanish in high school and basic french at university. I can just make out what is being said between the two lol

Leeg

• View Profile
Wow...! Legit seeing you here dude  :beer:  I wish I could read it--I had a very small amount of Spanish in high school and basic french at university. I can just make out what is being said between the two lol

Sorry! ^^'

I have another paper in English about Animal Crossing Wild World and the use of transcreation in its translation to Spanish. You should check it :P
http://tiny.cc/k35cjx

Bregalad

• View Profile
Does they know if Capcom (or Sony) translated the game in Spanish from the already translated English version, or did they translate directly from Japanese ?

I don't know how much common it is to go either way, but I guess the modern and correct way is to translate everything from Japanese directly, obviously. The old dirty way was to translate everything from a poor English translation into other European languages.

I'm pretty sure Final Fantasy translated everything directly from Japanese from 8 and on, and it makes a lot of difference compared to 7, which has suffered from a double-translation. It also makes the European version of FF8 closer to the Japanese one than to the USA one (for example, the timer at Ifrit's cave stops only when you go out of the cave, not when you select Ifrit's name).

Leeg

• View Profile
Dragon Quarter was translated from American English.
Only AAA games are translated from Japanese in Spain, most of the other games are translated from English.

With Final Fantasy it works just as you have said, from VIII onwards all of them are translated from Japanese, except for the CG scenes, due to lip sync issues these are translated from English.

Bregalad

• View Profile
What is what you're referring to as an "AAA" game ?

Leeg

• View Profile