News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Released! SFC Record of Lodoss War!  (Read 15757 times)

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Released! SFC Record of Lodoss War!
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 10:05:14 pm »
Great translation, ROLW being one of my favoured anime. Whew, first I was shocked when reading the news, I  chatted once with her on IRC back in the days. I'm glad she's still alive and sound.

I think it was Lina, but it might have been one of the others, I chatted with on IRC a time or 2 myself. They were into Fire Pro D at the time.

I actually did almost get hit by a bus once.
Yeah, you laugh at jaywalking laws until it happens to you. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0T-v31Z43w  :P

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 04:19:03 pm »
Awesome, gave this a try last night.

Also, one quick thing, I think the ROM size given in the documentation is that for the headered ROM, and it should be an unheadered ROM that you patch.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 04:43:53 pm »
Thank you for your kind words, SargeSmash.
Indeed, I got the sizes confused and you are correct; the ROM should be headerless as you say
and the most current read me has been amended to reflect that.

Daniel Eakins

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 12:37:54 pm »
Woah. Why would someone fake their own (or someone else's?) death? That's grim as f***  :o

Mattiac

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2014, 06:24:18 pm »
Hoky, we're not trying to spread any false rumors.  That was what I personally was told sometime after LNF quit working on projects by a couple of guys who had actually worked with her on projects.  If that wasn't the case, I do apologize for that misinformation getting out.  I figured these individuals would have had proper information on this situation. 

I'm happy to hear she is alive and doing well, and I wish she'd contact us regarding the translation.  Unfortunately, I do not use and never want to use twitter, so if someone could ask her to visit our forum (or this forum) or e-mail us, we'd love to hear from her.  She can reach us at dynamic-designs@dynamic-designs.us

I'm happy she's not dead!  :D

I have tweeted to her so I hope she'll contact you, Taskforce-san.

MrBing

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 07:52:28 pm »
In ZSNES, I'm getting crashes in the first house, after Karla comes to.

stahl

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 08:23:24 pm »

It's always a good idea to read the readme files that are included in the patches.  The read me for this game specifically tells you to avoid Zsnes as it hangs the game even in the original unpatched game.

Scio

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 08:24:09 pm »
ZSNES is your problem. Use Snes9x or Higan.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2014, 12:22:40 pm »
It's always a good idea to read the readme files that are included in the patches.  The read me for this game specifically tells you to avoid Zsnes as it hangs the game even in the original unpatched game.

I can confirm that this does happen in the original game, but it's not a 100% of the time bug. I don't remember how, but when I was interested in the game I found ways around it (or it just didn't happen).

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

MrBing

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2014, 02:00:43 pm »
...Yeah it looks like it's time to let go of ZSNES. Man those were the days... but I guess every era has its ending.

This translation is top notch. The original publisher really missed the boat when they decided against bringing this game over. Might well have changed the course of gaming history in the West.

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2014, 11:51:48 pm »
There seems to be no fixed pattern for the Zsnes hanging issues with ROLW as far as I can tell, and it is that level of unpredictability that is the crux of the problem. I'm not tech savvy enough to pinpoint what it could be, but in my experience a few games have a lot of issues running correctly; Slayers, Shin Megami Tensei, Actraiser 2 and ROLW itself present either intermittent hangs or saving problems.

That said, the emulator indeed raised the bar very high for a long time, and it became a sort of hallmark emulation-wise, given the complexities of the target system, so I'm not trying to bash it or anything as it has been my SNES emulator of choice for a long, long time.

Also thank you for your kind words, Mr. Bing. I'm not sure if ROLW's localization would have been history-changing, as you purport but what I do know is that the west has missed (and still does miss) a lot of quality games due to various industry policies and profit considerations. The essence of fan translation groups, as I see it, is trying to lessen this disparity by bringing to the greater public games that the group members believe can and should be appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 12:05:58 am by Red Soul »

Lina`chan

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2014, 10:06:06 pm »
Hey guys! I just got wind of this project and their release! Congratulations on the awesome job! I will have to carve some time to give it a try in the coming days.

On another note, I'd like to take the chance to let you guys that I am alive and well, I really stopped working on fan translations a while back to focus on my education and career. I visit this site at least once a year and I'm very happy to read and recognize some of my friends from back in the IRC days!

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread I did reach out to Gideon through twitter a while back, I rarely use social media but I figured I could use a twitter account just to give it a try!