News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Font needed for Clock Tower [PSX] translation hack!  (Read 5207 times)

arcraith

• View Profile
Font needed for Clock Tower [PSX] translation hack!
« on: July 08, 2014, 12:38:39 am »
Hi people, I'm the hacker for the English translation of Clock Tower The First Fear (for PSX). The project has been on a bit of a hiatus because of the need for a custom English font. If anyone can give us a hand with this, it would be deeply appreciated. We have a forum thread dedicated to the hack:
http://w11.zetaboards.com/dontcryjennifer/topic/7405857/17/

The specs for the font are:
- max character dimensions: 8x15
- max number of colours: 4 (encoded using 2 bits per pixel), but preferably 2
- should be variable width (so a width table needs to be provided)

If anyone with the skills is interested, please PM me and I will send you the required character set.

RedScorpion

• View Profile
    • Snes-Projects
Re: Font needed for Clock Tower [PSX] translation hack!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 08:02:01 am »
Why don't you check the font area first?!

Maybe you find some good or have only change the size?

Thanks

red

arcraith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 08:14:19 am »
Ah, I should have thought of that, though we would like an original font that goes well with the tone of the game.
I'll take a look, and if anyone can suggest some good ones, that would be most appreciated.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 09:15:54 am »
Why not the one from the SNES version?
EDIT: Sorry, didn't read the VWF part.

arcraith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 06:22:02 pm »
I did ask AG about permission to use his font from the SNES version but he never replied. Otherwise I could turn it into a VWF. I like his font mainly because it's serifed.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 07:37:02 pm »
I vaguely remember that, but I've had a lot of stuff on my plate. I'm mostly okay with you using the font (I don't really remember where I got it from, but I think it's present in the original Japanese version of the game?) but do you have any proof-of-concept screenshots of your work on the PS1 version? I'd want to know that it's in good hands.

arcraith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 11:11:59 pm »
I vaguely remember that, but I've had a lot of stuff on my plate. I'm mostly okay with you using the font (I don't really remember where I got it from, but I think it's present in the original Japanese version of the game?) but do you have any proof-of-concept screenshots of your work on the PS1 version? I'd want to know that it's in good hands.

Yup, sure. Here is a screenshot of the hack using the half-width font from the BIOS:

I've since extended the code to support a VWF encoded using 2bpp. Here's a pic demonstrating that more than one colour can be used (note the red line in the 'a' character)

And here's a pic demonstrating that the widths of individual characters can be adjusted (in this case, the letters 'a' to 'd' are shortened):

So...are my hands good enough?  ;D
I'd love to use that font! But I hope you don't mind if I adapt it to be variable width.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 01:02:55 am »
So...are my hands good enough?  ;D
I'd love to use that font! But I hope you don't mind if I adapt it to be variable width.

Progress looks great! Go right ahead. It should be viewable decompressed in the rom somewhere, though I don't exactly remember where.

arcraith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 01:14:28 am »
Progress looks great! Go right ahead. It should be viewable decompressed in the rom somewhere, though I don't exactly remember where.

Awesome, thanks a bunch!!

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 06:54:21 pm »
Is your work by anychance based on the Chinese Translation of the PSX version? cuz you've mention using the variable fonts from the Bios itself ;) Great progress anyways! keep up the good work dude :beer:

arcraith

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 07:07:40 pm »
Thanks!

No, it isn't based on the Chinese translation. You actually sent me a link to the Chinese Translation a while back, don't you remember?  :laugh:

The original Japanese version uses the ShiftJIS-based font from the BIOS. I believe that the Chinese version uses a hacked BIOS which replaces all the Japanese characters with Chinese ones. I didn't really want to hack the BIOS so I rewrote the font system so that it uses a 2bpp font stored in one of the game's files.

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 09:45:59 pm »
Thanks!

No, it isn't based on the Chinese translation. You actually sent me a link to the Chinese Translation a while back, don't you remember?  :laugh:

The original Japanese version uses the ShiftJIS-based font from the BIOS. I believe that the Chinese version uses a hacked BIOS which replaces all the Japanese characters with Chinese ones. I didn't really want to hack the BIOS so I rewrote the font system so that it uses a 2bpp font stored in one of the game's files.

oh really?! Lolz i forgot xD it's been a grip since :-) anyways i'm very glad you'd haven't given up at all & i'm quite surprized ya gotten around finding the fonts without needing to hack the BIOS at all.

Was it a difficult task?

arcraith

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 12:57:48 am »
This is my first hack so I can't compare it to any other, but it didn't seem too difficult. I couldn't figure out all the stuff to do with IDA and whatever so I ended up rewriting the font decoding function in assembly code, which was challenging but cool once it worked!

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 01:46:53 am »
I loved Aeon Genesis' translation of The First Fear when it was on SNES, so I'd love to play the PS1 port! I wish you luck on your project, arcraith!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 06:15:54 am by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

arcraith

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 03:12:44 am »
Thanks!
Note that the translation is slightly different, since I'm working with a different translator. Someone has also written a French translation, so I'm currently testing that too. Others have expressed interest in translating the script to Arabic, Italian, Dutch...it makes me very happy that so many people still remember the pile of goodness that is The First Fear!

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 06:16:37 am »
I played Clock Tower PS1 and I thought it was really bad compared to The First Fear. I think The First Fear is the only Clock Tower I actually like.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

arcraith

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 06:42:48 am »
I played Clock Tower PS1 and I thought it was really bad compared to The First Fear. I think The First Fear is the only Clock Tower I actually like.

My thoughts exactly! When I first heard about Clock Tower, I thought that the whole concept of a 2D point and click horror game was really unique. It allows for really stylized visuals, and I was genuinely horrified by some of the death scenes, as well as the appearance of Dan. The transition to 3d made the series kind of generic and silly. I have half a mind to make a game engine in the style of The First Fear to encourage others to make more games in that style.