News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Definitive Version Hacks & (re) Translations  (Read 18331 times)

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
Re: Definitive Version Hacks & (re) Translations
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2014, 12:14:57 am »
For bugfix and enhancements, I could only mention Sonic 3 Complete for the Genesis. It's a hack for Sonic 3K that enhances and fixes the game on many aspects. It has even a huge options screen where you can configure numerous aspects of the game. You will love it.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2014, 07:46:05 pm »
Saxman of Sonic Retro has recently released "Sonic 2 Rev. 03", a 32X conversion of Sonic 2. This version not only fixes several bugs in the game, but it also runs on an optimized engine he dubbed "Sonic Boom", inspired by the BOOM engine.

The audio doesn't work on Gens/GS Version r7 (my preferred emulator), but it works fine on Fusion 3.64. Loading times are slightly reduced thanks to the new engine.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 03:21:35 am by NES Boy »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2014, 09:18:43 am »
Throwing in my two cents about another big one.

FFVI is a hard one because... well, we never really got an official definitive version (IMHO anyway) so the fans had to step in.  Not a bad thing at all, but there's a lot of efforts out there so the definition of "definitive" seems to have a lot of meanings with this one.

You have the Relocalization Project that has everything pretty well in order for making the game as it should be: big host of bugfixes, redone translation using the correct bases, uncensoring.  Only thing that isn't there is the GBA extra content.

Then if you like the original SNES translation better, there's Ted Woolsey Uncensored.  Which does what it says on the tin with a whole lot of work, but no bugfixes (some like it this way though, so I don't condemn it for that at all.)

If you want the extra GBA content like the final dungeons, translation, and official bugfixes, there's a whole bunch of patches out for that.  All except for using two font patches at once works together it seems, so just use whatever suits your fancy.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2014, 02:03:07 pm »
Saxman of Sonic Retro has recently released "Sonic 2 Rev. 03", a 32X conversion of Sonic 2. This version not only fixes several bugs in the game, but it also runs on an optimized engine he dubbed "Sonic Boom", inspired by the BOOM engine.

The audio doesn't work on Gens/GS Version r7 (my preferred emulator), but it works fine on Fusion 3.64. Loading times are slightly reduced thanks to the new engine.

Couldn't find a link to it. I'd appreciate it a lot if you shared it here :)

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2014, 03:12:52 pm »
You have the Relocalization Project that has everything pretty well in order for making the game as it should be: big host of bugfixes, redone translation using the correct bases, uncensoring.
I played that one yesterday. It's just a rewrite, not a retranslation. You can notice that right at the beginning. I'll be honest, I didn't like it.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2014, 05:14:22 pm »
My next release of the Woolsey uncensored edition will include a host of bug fixes that are necessary but will not alter the projects original vision. For instance, I won't add the fix for Vanish X-Zone fix but things like For What Ails Ya, Homesick Gau, and Pink Gogo will be added.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2015, 06:40:39 pm »
If you're into Earthbound/Mother games, give Mother: 25th Anniversary Edition a try. It's a hack of  the Earthbound 0
prototype that improves the graphics EXTREMELY, battle improvements out the ying yang (battles are almost twice as fast, enemies yield a bit more xp so you're aren't murdering hippies and stray dogs for the first hour of playtime), as well as an adaptation of the Mother 1 + 2 translation so it's easier to get into the story. Also, the menus are cleaned up and look like Earthbound/Mother 3 style, very pleasing to the eyes.

Here's a comparison of two spots, the Left is normal, untouched Earthbound 0, while the Right is Mother: 25th Anniversary Edition.

Just the amount of texturing on the buildings in this hack kind of blew my mind when I went back to Earthbound 0 to take screenshots. Until I took them, I hadn't noticed that much difference, as the new graphics are so natural they feel like they should've been there to begin with.

Pics taken with Nester J off my PSP.

Mother:25th Anniversary link: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2211/

Can't reccomend it enough, seeing as I finally finished a playthrough of the game because of this hack's existance.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

DQ Chao284

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2015, 01:24:39 am »

July 07, 2014, 12:10:22 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
-SNES-

Dragon Quest 1+2, 3, 5, 6
-All of these have been translated

I happen to be on an "In Progress" part for DQ6 SNES, which I have made changes to the Names in the Name Text area and reformatted the Text setup to ASCII format, also made a Menu Bug Correction and Found offsets that are already changed or have been Found, already took notes of those offset locations on a Notepad File, have posted a Help Wanted Ad on this,

2 issues,

1 involves changing the 8x8 Numeric Random Number header on code BB which in Battle Mode Displays the 0 through 9 characters on code 02 to 0B, want to change that to 30 to 39,

Also 2, removing and changing the Double Line header so that it does not use all 16 characters in offset 90 to 9F, using DaMarsMan's Autoline format in the Name text that uses 1 character block instead which is used in DQ3r, and change the single block location to 7F after reformat,

Although I am hoping there is someone out there that is able to finish the unfinished Dialog Text soon, which I know DaMarsMan was planning to get done, since the Battle Text and Dialog Text was retranslated and posted on one site before it went offline recently, already saved those pages on my computer.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2015, 10:12:18 am »

Couldn't find a link to it. I'd appreciate it a lot if you shared it here :)
The problem here is that the Sonic Retro community shares hacked ROMs instead of patches, something that wouldn't fly in RHDN. Otherwise, I'd love to post it right here.

While we're on the subject of Saxman's Sonic Boom engine, he's currently working on an update that adds assets from the first Sonic game. He's even posted some screenshots:

Tails following Sonic in Star Light Zone.

Knuckles in Green Hill Zone. Note the S2 HUD.

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2015, 07:42:48 pm »
The problem here is that the Sonic Retro community shares hacked ROMs instead of patches, something that wouldn't fly in RHDN. Otherwise, I'd love to post it right here.

Why doesn't someone use an IPS program to make patches out of these hacked roms and then upload them here? I could be wrong, but I thought it was allowed to submit hacks to this site even if it's not your own (as long as you properly credit the original author).

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2015, 07:46:56 pm »
Thanks for offering. We all await your submissions, Seihen.  ;D

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2015, 08:19:18 am »
Why doesn't someone use an IPS program to make patches out of these hacked roms and then upload them here?
Dammit! Don't give someone any funny ideas and flood the queue line with these!  :police:

IMO if there is a site dedicated for Sonic/Mario/Metroid/etc. hacks, just leave it to that site. Besides, the maker of those ips patches might not get the correct original rom that was used for those hacks.

azidahaka

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2015, 10:46:21 am »
Space Megaforce/Super Aleste

For western versions all the story and manga style screens were taken off.

KiddoCabbusses

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2015, 02:11:50 pm »
Ermm...

Previous confusion about BS Zelda characters aside, the most probable "definitive" BS Zelda/AST versions are probably going to be the MSU-1 hacks, once the actual audio parts are finalized.
You can check on those on the forums at The BS Zelda Homepage.