News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Definitive Version Hacks & (re) Translations  (Read 18058 times)

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
Definitive Version Hacks & (re) Translations
« on: July 06, 2014, 06:57:59 am »
I'm looking for ROM hacks or translations that folks feel are the "definitive version" of a game.  Meaning:

If you could only play one version of this game, this is the one you'd choose.

In terms of this, I'm not looking for things that are completely different games like Mario Adventure, etc. Just improvements to the already existing games.

Examples:
Snarfblam's Automap Plus for Legend of Zelda
Video Smash Excellent's translation of Magical Doropie instead of Krion Conquest
Stardust Crusaders' Contra translation

I'm interested in NES mainly because I'm finally giving in and ordering a flashcart, and am making a ROM list for it.

But for sake of discussion, feel free to make suggestions for any system.

standigz

• View Profile
Re: Definitive Version Hacks & (re) Translations
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 01:57:49 am »
Oh, I know what you mean. I have pretty much the same goal when it comes to hacks, that's my favorite part about them. This'll be a long post.

Adventure Island 1
 -There is a graphical update hack, had to go to a Brazilian romhacking website to find it.

Batman
-Easy Hack, I think it may corrupt the game on real hardware...

Battletoads
-Not a hack, but apparently the Japanese version is easier, it has more continues, and such. I learned of this only recently.

Bionic Commando
-decensor hack, brings back the Nazis, swastikas and whatnot.

Blaster Master
-Not a big one, but it makes the baddies flash when you shoot them to confirm that you indeed damaged them.

Bubble Bobble
-There's a hack to make it more like the arcade version. Couldn't get it to work on real hardware.

Castlevania
-Not a hack, but the Famicom cartridge version has an easy mode option. Granted it may be considered cheap...but it gets rid of the famous problem of being knocked into pits. Turns out the game is really easy without knockback.

Double Dragon
-Make the game more like the arcade version

Double Dragon 2
-Fixes the controls

Double Dragon 3
-fixes the difficulty level and spelling errors

DigDug
-enhances graphics

Contra
-Essentially combines the best of the Japanese version (extra animations and scenes, with english and an animated title screen.

Donkey Kong
-Official revision by Nintendo, brings back the "pie factory level"

Duck Hunt
-Not a hack, but the arcade version converted to NES, it gives more animation frames and you can shoot the damned dog.

Excitebike vs
-Disk System version, more features than the plain old NES version.

Duck Tales
-un-censors the game, (crosses instead of RIP) a different hack also simplifies the controls. (ultimate version would be in a reproduction of that recent capcom giveaway)

Fantasy Zone
-Yes, its on Nintendo, I don't know how....anyway, the Sunsoft version is nicer than the Tengen one.

Rainbow Island
-The Ocean version is supposed to be a nicer port

Gyruss
-The FDS version sounds and looks better.

Ice Climbers
-I like the version with the seals instead of the yetis

Kid Icarus
-FDS version has save capabilities

Karnov
-US version is easier...but the Japanese version has cut-scenes...that have been translated.

Gradius
-Extremely extensive graphical enhancement

Gradius 2
-Extremely extensive graphical enhancement

Final Fantasy
-Graphical enhancement, un censored graphics, new translation, tons of people made hacks for this, best pick the one that suits you.

Last Ninja
-Recent hack fixes some graphical stuff and properly renames the game as Last Ninja 2.

Mario Bros
-Extreme graphical enhancement

Metroid
-Extreme graphical enhancement, combined several hacks, including a map.

Ninja Gaiden 3
-fixes the last continue point (I never had time to play to the end to check on it)

Recca
-Some options are hidden by elaborate button codes, this brings them out in the open, I think.

MegaMan
-Changes mapper to MMC3, gets rid of the score feature and adds the ability to save.

Super Mario Bros Special
-Originally released on the PC88, needless to say it could not handle Mario...the NES on the other hand, due to the dedication of fans, can now play these beautifully crafted levels made by Hudson.

Super Mario USA
-Hack fixes some bugs or something (to be honest I just use USA to better differentiate between the real SMB2)

Super Mario Bros 3
-Save hack, there is also an item slot hack...but don't combine them, unstable.

Castlevania 2
-Fixes the text to actually mean something, another hack gets rid of invisible pitfalls and yet another doubles hearts.

Sweet Home
-Translated

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade Game
-Japanese version is more polished

Uninvited
-un censored

Zelda 2
-doubles lives and exp. Another hack makes it so you restart where you died...don't know how stable it is on real hardware.

Maniac Mansion
-prototype version isn't censored

Earth Bound (Zero)
-Uncensored text and graphics, another changes the title screen to "Mother"

Ms. PacMan
-The Tengen version is superior to the Namco Version

Tetris
-Most people seem to say the Tengen version is better, I tend to think so too. However others really like the Nintendo version, if you like the Nintendo version there is a nifty hack that puts in a 2 player mode.

Castlevania 3
-There is some minor controversy over which version is better, US or Japan, it really depends on preference. Personally I like the Japanese version even though I can't utilize VRC6 audio. Anyway, for the Japanese version there is a translation hack, and another hack that claims to fix some coloring errors. The same author also has a hack that decensors some content, mostly just 8-bit statue boobies.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 11:30:36 am by standigz »

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 02:16:58 am »
the bof 2 retranslation update patch makes the game a lot better although your mileage may vary

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 09:03:09 am »
Rad list. Mario Bros and the Adventure Island hacks sound like MCB hacks. I've got a separate folder for graphics updates, usually by author. His New New New New Mario Bros is probably my favorite hack to date. He also has a solid Wrecking Crew and Pinball floating around.

I'll check out that Double Dragon II control fix. I remember even as a kid, how long it took me to get the "this button attacks stage right, that button stage left" control scheme down.

I haven't yet tried the Snake Rattle n Roll control fix or Wai Wai World camera fix, but I expect both of them will be worth having over the original.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 08:11:57 pm by M-Tee »

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 10:35:04 am »
Bubble Bobble
-There's a hack to make it more like the arcade version. Couldn't get it to work on real hardware.
Didn't know that, I know it doesn't work on Nintendulator (something about it being corrupted with diskdude), glad someone tried it out on real hardware instead of emulators. 

Rainbow Island
-The Ocean version is supposed to be a nicer port
Though it lacks  the "somewhere over the rainbow" theme, Oceans version is miles better than the U.S and Japan version which is a  total train wreck.  Incidentally the U.S / Japan versions have cut scenes when you beat the island bosses don't know how good the translation is on them.
A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC

standigz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 11:25:55 am »
Megadrive/Genesis

Streets of Rage 3/Bare Knuckle 3
 -Japanese version is uncensored

Castlevania Bloodlines
-European version is censored, I forgot which one isn't

Double Dragon
-Has a hack to make it more like the Arcade version

Dynamite Headdy
-Japanese version can be translated

Golden Axe
-Recently got a color enhancement hack

Moonwalker
-Supposedly there are versions which have Thriller in it (not as BGM but during a special attack)

Outrun
-Recently got a color enhancement hack

Phantasy Star 2
-retranslated, easy hack, and less capitalization.

Phantasy Star 3
-easy hack

MegaMan Wily Wars
-Save fix

Super Shinobi
-earliest revision has appearances of Rambo, Terminator, Godzilla, Spiderman, Batman, and Sonny Chiba

Shinobi 3
-A hack re-inserts some Japanese features such as a password save

Sonic Megamix
-Sonic 1 is still in there and its enhanced

Sonic and Knuckles
-There is a hack that combines it with Sonic 3, but conveniently has a menu that allows one to select sonic 3. sonic 3+knuckles, or just sonic and knuckles.

Contra Hard Corps
-Hack that combines the best Japanese features with the English language.

-SMS (because Everdrive conveniently allows you to play SMS games too)

Aleste 2 GG
-The gamegear got an exclusive Aleste game, this lets it be played on the SMS and as a result can be played on the MegaDrive/Genesis

Pac-Man
-Nothing special, just the Pac-Man we all know and love, but this version came out on the GameGear and the poor Master System and MegaDrive/Genesis never got Pac-Man. Like the Aleste 2 conversion, this lets the Genny and SMS play with Pac-Man.

Sonic Triple Trouble
-Let's SMS/MegaDrive-Genesis play Sonic Triple Trouble from the GameGear

Phantasy Star
-A decent translation, finally (At least I think it is, although I'd like to play it through I just don't have the patience I used to when it comes to games)

July 07, 2014, 12:10:22 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
-SNES-

Castlevania 4
-Japanese version isn't censored

Castlevania XX
-Japanese version isn't censored

Chrono Trigger
-fan translation

Clay Fighter
-Tournament Version is superior

Clock Tower
-English translation

Columns
-Nothing special...I just thought it was weird that a Sega game was on SNES...

Donkey Kong Country
-Japanese version is supposed to be easier, has a nicer title screen regardless

Super Double Dragon
-Plays horribly, Japanese version is less horrible

Final Fantasy 4, 5, 6
-There are many...many hacks for these three, especially 6, mixing and matching will have mixed results. At the very least the fan translations should be tried

Final Fight
-Japanese version is not censored

Dragon Quest 1+2, 3, 5, 6
-All of these have been translated

F-Zero 2
-Just putting this here, because most people don't know it exists

Mario Excitebike
-Another, similar to F-Zero 2, it's a great version of Excitebike.

Super Metroid
-Depending on your preference there is a hack that reduces the number of missiles needed to open red doors, more like the GBA games. I always thought it was silly to need to shoot doors, it's even sillier to need to shoot them more than once. Another hack changes the controls to be more inline with the GBA games. This isn't a bad thing, however some may disagree.

Earthbound
-There are various hacks to make the game more like Mother 2, that is completely uncensored, putting back mentions of God, religion, spanking sounds, blues brothers look-a-likes, red cross, changing Pokey to Porky, Threed to Threek, Ness naked in his dream world (makes sense in context)... There have been efforts to change the title screen, however this causes the game to crash. There is another simple hack to use the "Y" button as a "run" button, as the game has no dash ability like EBZ and Mother 3. There is also an ongoing hack to "port" over Mother, using Earthbound resources.

Mortal Kombat
-There have been hacks that recolor the "sweat" to blood, this has no effect on fatalities and to be honest I would be surprised if anyone cared about this now, seriously 1994 is like.....so long ago. I was friggin 5 when this game came out, no idea what the fuss was about, couldn't play it, I only knew it existed because I saw an ad for it in an ironically violent comic book that I was allowed to read (but couldn't play a violent game...)

Radical Dreamers
-A pseudo-sequel to Chrono Trigger that predates Chrono Cross. Anyway, don't expect a full blown RPG, this is more of an interactive fiction story, kind of like an evolution of Zork. Anywho, its in English. I suggest playing it late at night (or early in the morning) in the dark, wearing headphones.

RockMan and Forte (or MegaMan and Bass) 
-Hard as balls, was considered "Mega Man 9" for a while, more like a Gaiden. Anyway, it's been translated. Better than the GBA version. Very impressive graphically, holds its own against Mega Man 8.

Star Ocean
-Translated, and it's been decompressed so it can run on flash cartridges since they don't have the expansion chip necessary. (it will take a little longer for it to load on your everdrive,sd2snes,powerpak, don't adjust your set)

Super Mario All Stars
-A newer version includes Super Mario World. Nothing new other than some really well done Luigi sprites. Can only play as him in 2 player mode, and he plays no differently than mario unfortunately.

Tales of Phantasia
-another well done translation

Terranigma
-NTSC patch, I suppose this is only useful for European consoles, I did it anyway  :P, anyway it also has a font hack.

Wizardry collection (not actual title, I can't spell llygawhatsit)
-translated for the 16 bit generation (apparently wizardry is more popular in Japan than the US, in a weird inversion of us liking JRPGs)

Ys 4, and Ys 5
-They both have translations

Zelda A Link to the Past
-These hacks were hard for me to find, but they are essentially enhancements that do the following.
  *Lets you change direction while dashing using the Pegasus boots, just like the Ancient Stone Tablets game
  *Lets you move a block more than once, makes those stupid block puzzles less annoying
  *Lets you smash pots with your sword when its a high enough level
Some others change Link's pink hair to a normal blond or brown depending on whether you prefer blond 1998+ Link or pre Ocarina of Time Link, another adds a day/night function. Those last two would be great, but they don't quite work on real hardware or conflict.

BS Zelda Quests 3 and 4
-These are real hardware hacks that turn the little known BS Zelda into 16 bit remakes of Zelda 1 except with a new over world and dungeons. I say quests 3 and 4 because Zelda 1 on the NES contains Quest 1 and 2. The St. Giga mascot is changed to Link. I think Zelda is even playable in some hacks. Everything is Translated

Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets
-These are a series of BS Zelda broadcasts that involve 4 separate roms, dedicated for one quest, you have rename the sav file after each of the 4 roms to carry data over. They have been hacked to work without BSX hardware and now star Link instead of the St. Giga Mascot. Everything is translated.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:10:22 pm by standigz »

jimstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 12:13:56 pm »
Some of my favorite hacks.

NES:

Castlevania Overflow of Darkness:

Awesome graphick hack that updates the game with new sprites and level design.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/758/

Megaman Metal Army:

Graphical update to Megaman 1

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/777/

Final Fantasy Bronze:

Graphical and more importantly text update, really love the more colorful dialogue.

http://www.compmike19.com/ffhacks/id11.htm

Grond's Final Fantasy:

In my opinon the definate version of Final Fantasy 1, graphical updates, redesigned maps, new dialouge, and music and features.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/652/

Final Fantasy Plus:

My alltime favorite game is FFIV, and one of the first hacks i tried, converted the graphics in FF1 to the ones in FFIV. It's a really good job done, and i warmly recommend this hack.

http://www.compmike19.com/ffhacks/id22.htm

Batman Macbee:

Slight graphical update to make the batman ingame sprite look more like Keaton and less like West.

http://www.zophar.net/hacks/nes/batman/batman-mcb.html

SNES:

Dracula X:

Stylish Richter

Just really like graphical update hacks, and i like the sprite more because it's closer to Ayamis concept art,

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/185/

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 12:30:28 pm »
Did you read the 1st post ? He said explicitely to mention "bugfix" or "enhancement" hacks, not complete hacks. Your list is almost exclusively made of complete hacks.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 12:40:19 pm »
This is a little off the beaten path, but recent research into the ColecoVision library has revealed that the game Sector Alpha shipped with a ROM defect that left some of the graphics garbled. Using a port to a different system with similar specs, they restored the missing graphics, and it's now possible to play the game the way it was intended for the first time ever. You can find the details over at AtariAge.

jimstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 01:25:33 pm »
Did you read the 1st post ? He said explicitely to mention "bugfix" or "enhancement" hacks, not complete hacks. Your list is almost exclusively made of complete hacks.

No it does not actually, by improvements i thought that graphical updates would count, since earlier some was mentioned mainly Macbee hacks.

If i got it wrong, then i apologize.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 01:48:27 pm by jimstrom »

standigz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 03:08:56 pm »

Err, most aren't exactly in the spirit of the original game would have been a nicer way to put it.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 03:42:10 pm »
Sorry, I figure now that my previous post could have been rude. That was not intended. I'm sorry.

Castlevania
-Not a hack, but the Famicom cartridge version has an easy mode option. Granted it may be considered cheap...but it gets rid of the famous problem of being knocked into pits. Turns out the game is really easy without knockback.
In my opinion, as much as the original is ridiculously hard, the "easy mode" is ridiculously easy. You have 10 lives, and no knock back, and all attacks do you a single HP damage. If you crouch, you are invincible even if you loose all your HP (this is probably a mis-feature) until you stop crouching. So during boss battles, just crouch in the exact middle of the screen and you can only win (if the boss can be hit that way).

Double Dragon 3
-fixes the difficulty level and spelling errors
I'll have to check this one. The difficulty of this game was just ridiculous.

Double Dragon
-Make the game more like the arcade version
If I remember well a particular hack claims that but it's just some minor graphical changes (not that this is bad - of course). The arcade game was completely different, and had barely anything in common with the NES one.

Donkey Kong Country
-Japanese version is supposed to be easier, has a nicer title screen regardless
Didn't know about it ! Thanks for pointing it out.

Super Double Dragon
-Plays horribly, Japanese version is less horrible
I second that. Unfortunately even the Japanese version is incomplete in regard to this game's design, as they couldn't make it for the deadline. More moves, conveyor belts, more bosses and cutscenes were planned.

Battletoads
-Not a hack, but apparently the Japanese version is easier, it has more continues, and such. I learned of this only recently.
I can confirm it's definitely much easier. I made it to the last stage - without cheating. Didn't beat the game, though.
I was never able to beat the Rat Race level on PAL version, and never able to pass the speed bike on USA version without cheats. (the levels are identical - 20% FPS difference just makes all the difference between them)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 05:48:46 pm »
Re: Standigz's list

The 3DS "3D Classics" version of Kid Icarus is based on the FDS version (it has saving and I recognized that FDS FM synth music the moment I started it up :D ), if that is an option.

Pac-Man actually was released on Genesis. It was inside Pac-Man 2. You either had to find a machine in the game or you could enter a password to play it directly. The Genesis version of PM2 also had Super Pac-Man as an unlockable, but on the SNES that was replaced with Ms. Pac-Man (as the Tengen version of Ms. had previously been released on Genesis but not until later on SNES).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 10:39:42 pm »
Re: Standigz's list

The 3DS "3D Classics" version of Kid Icarus is based on the FDS version (it has saving and I recognized that FDS FM synth music the moment I started it up :D ), if that is an option.

Pac-Man actually was released on Genesis. It was inside Pac-Man 2. You either had to find a machine in the game or you could enter a password to play it directly. The Genesis version of PM2 also had Super Pac-Man as an unlockable, but on the SNES that was replaced with Ms. Pac-Man (as the Tengen version of Ms. had previously been released on Genesis but not until later on SNES).

Williams released the Tengen Ms. Pac-Man to the SNES not Tengen themselves

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 11:10:53 pm »
My personal definite version of Sonic 1 has to be "Sonic the Hedgehog: Never Stop Running".

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 12:29:15 am »
Williams released the Tengen Ms. Pac-Man to the SNES not Tengen themselves
It's the same version, and technically the same company.
Time Warner bought Tengen in 1994 and then resold them to Williams/Midway a year or two later.

Clippit

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 06:17:00 am »
Well, it isn't much, but here's a couple of titles I'd recommend.

Mad City
It's basically The Adventures of Bayou Billy, but playable. (no ridiculous difficulty like the NTSC and PAL releases)

Nintendo World Cup
There's a nice hack in here that lets you play as any of the original teams in two player mode.

Wai Wai World
A nice little game that puts together characters from various Konami games of the time (most were Japan-exclusive) in a decent sidescroller game. Zynk Oxhyde's translation is the best one, even though it has some minor graphical changes I disagree with. There's also a center camera hack in here too. You can mash both patches together, which would be the best choice.

Rygar
Its japanese version, Argos no Senshi, has (imo) better music.

Pescatore
A... rather uncommon Tetris-style game, which is recommendable mostly if you're a fan of puzzle games. There's a patch in here that'll fix some game-breaking bugs, which would make the game crash when you make chains.

Vs. Pinball
There's a patch that removes the coins requirement, and, this version in itself, is slightly better than the regular Pinball. (it has improved sfx, music, larger score fonts, amongst other things)

Rolling Thunder
Its japanese version has an extra audio channel.

Gimmick!
Same as above.

Wario's Woods
There's a patch that enhances the interface a little bit. It's rather picky, but it's a nice touch.

Hebereke
Same as regular Uforia: The Saga, but with two different characters and an improved storyline.

Batman
Its beta version has Ninja Gaiden-like cutscenes that were removed from the final release.

Gyromite
If I recall correctly, there was once a hack that changed the buttons on the first controller so R.O.B. was no longer required. It's a fun game if you find how to get rid of R.O.B.'s requirement.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Its Japanese version has different stages order and a healer NPC that was removed from the NTSC and PAL releases, but... why would you play this game anyway? :P

Also, this thread reminded me that I have both Q-bert and Space Invaders graphical enhancements patches yet to be finished. I might need some help with the Space Invaders one, but I should stop being lazy first.  :P
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:24:18 am by Clippit »
"I swear my victory to this feather!"

jimstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 01:16:34 pm »
I'm a bit curious why does everyone prefer the version with an extra sound channel? To me it sounds like it's out of place, something that should not be there. I know the NES sounds to well, so when i hear an extra sound channel, it does not feel like NES anymore. It's like changing the sound effects on ATARI, it takes away their identity in my opinion.

standigz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 03:35:00 pm »
it comes down to taste, generally more sound channels means better sound. Usually anyway. I enjoy it.

I think we can agree that everyone has their own idea of what a definitive version is.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 04:24:20 pm »
Pescatore
A... rather uncommon Tetris-style game, which is recommendable mostly if you're a fan of puzzle games. There's a patch in here that'll fix some game-breaking bugs, which would make the game crash when you make chains.
It's actually an unreleased game.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Its Japanese version has different stages order and a healer NPC that was removed from the NTSC and PAL releases, but... why would you play this game anyway? :P
The Japanese version has six different stages. The US version has four stages but repeats two of them (so you still play a total of six levels). Despite that, if I remember right the US version actually has more ROM, for less content somehow. :P