News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Ninja Rahoi Translation Released!  (Read 8041 times)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: Translations: Ninja Rahoi Translation Released!
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2016, 08:12:20 am »
Well, that's certainly interesting, but I know the game uses this Turbo File accessory and not battery backed SRAM. Maybe they're essentially the same thing and that's why changing the header works.

Spinner 8

• Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2016, 11:12:00 am »
In the readme for this translation it mentions the lack of traditional on-cart SRAM saves.   It explains that to save your game you either need an obscure Japanese peripheral (ASCII Turbo File) that plugs into the expansion port on the Famicom or an emulator that supports it.   
However I noticed that when playing the untranslated Japanese version of Ninja Rahoi! in Nestopia it was in fact creating an SRAM savefile, while the translated version did not.     I got a little suspicious so I checked BootGod's website and, sure enough, Ninja Rahoi! does indeed have a CR2032 battery and internal SRAM.   It turns out the iNES header in both the latest GoodNES and no-intro sets do not have the battery SRAM flag set.   The internal and external Nestopia XML databases do have Ninja Rahoi! listed as having SRAM and since we know Nestopia overrides the header if the database has an entry for a given ROM, and since the translated ROM's hash would not be present in the XML database this explains why the translated game wouldn't save while the original Japanese version would .   After enabling the SRAM flag in the iNES header I have been able to save in every emulator that I have tested.

Good find! :)

Well, that's certainly interesting, but I know the game uses this Turbo File accessory and not battery backed SRAM. Maybe they're essentially the same thing and that's why changing the header works.

I did some cursory research, and it seems like the Turbo File is optional in most cases... it seems to mostly be used for transferring save data between different games (Wizardry), or creating multiple save slots. I imagine the only time it'd be really required is for stuff that needs more than the usual amount of save data, like RPG Maker.

Really though, making it a requirement to purchase a separate peripheral to save your game in a silly RPG like this? It seems like it would be bad for business. :) I'm sure it was just a matter of "well, we're ASCII and we made this RPG, and we already have this peripheral, so we might as well add some support for it, along with the usual battery save".

(If anyone googles "Turbo File" ten years from now and sees this, keep in mind this is all just me speculating and inferring, hahaha)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2016, 12:17:05 pm »
Well, checking the game again, you are presented with two options to load your game. From a diary or from the turbo file, so I guess it is optional after all.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2016, 01:52:57 pm »
Ok so my question - can you modify the translated patch to save SRAM savefiles?

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2016, 02:56:27 pm »
All you have to do is modify the header to enable SRAM, but otherwise I'll get around to updating the translation files eventually.

ermac

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2016, 03:00:13 pm »
For any doubters :)
Ninja Rahoi! cartridge info from BootGod's website
http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=1531

You don't necessarily need to change the patch you can just set the SRAM flag yourself using an iNES header editor.   Nothing in the ROM itself needs to be changed at all.   
I don't feel like its my place to submit a correction patch to Romhacking, that's up to Pennywise/aishsha if they want to do that, it's their patch.   I will upload it to a file hosting site in case someone doesn't feel comfortable with editing the header themselves. 

Ninja Rahoi! English 1.0 patch with SRAM flag set - patch over untranslated japanese ROM.  CRC32: AEA19F21   
Either No-Intro or GoodNES ROMs will work.
http://www.filedropper.com/ninjarahoienglishv10wsram

As an aside, what's the best way to contact either Cowering or no-intro about the incorrect flag in the header of the original Japanese ROM? 

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2016, 04:29:19 pm »
Everything's been updated and a new patch version is pending approval. Still 1.0 since nothing but the header was touched.

Spinner 8

• Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2016, 05:12:50 pm »
You don't necessarily need to change the patch you can just set the SRAM flag yourself using an iNES header editor.   Nothing in the ROM itself needs to be changed at all.   
I don't feel like its my place to submit a correction patch to Romhacking, that's up to Pennywise/aishsha if they want to do that, it's their patch.   I will upload it to a file hosting site in case someone doesn't feel comfortable with editing the header themselves.

Since the existing translation patch already doesn't modify the header, any ROM that works now (outside of Nestopia) can be patched with the original patch and work fine. It's only one byte that needs to be changed.

The only reason your Japanese ROM worked in Nestopia but the translated ROM didn't, is because of Nestopia's internal database - Nestopia detected the Japanese ROM and set the save RAM flag on its own. It didn't do that with the translated ROM because that ROM wasn't in the database.

As an aside, what's the best way to contact either Cowering or no-intro about the incorrect flag in the header of the original Japanese ROM?

In this case, neither. Cowering has long since disappeared, and No-Intro doesn't check or catalog NES headers (since I last checked, which was, admittedly, years ago). You could have a header with all 00s, or even remove the header entirely, and No-Intro would still validate the ROM as correct.

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2016, 11:23:16 pm »
Forgive me for bumping a very old thread but I didn't know where else to post this. 

In the readme for this translation it mentions the lack of traditional on-cart SRAM saves.   It explains that to save your game you either need an obscure Japanese peripheral (ASCII Turbo File) that plugs into the expansion port on the Famicom or an emulator that supports it.   
However I noticed that when playing the untranslated Japanese version of Ninja Rahoi! in Nestopia it was in fact creating an SRAM savefile, while the translated version did not.     I got a little suspicious so I checked BootGod's website and, sure enough, Ninja Rahoi! does indeed have a CR2032 battery and internal SRAM.   It turns out the iNES header in both the latest GoodNES and no-intro sets do not have the battery SRAM flag set.   The internal and external Nestopia XML databases do have Ninja Rahoi! listed as having SRAM and since we know Nestopia overrides the header if the database has an entry for a given ROM, and since the translated ROM's hash would not be present in the XML database this explains why the translated game wouldn't save while the original Japanese version would .   After enabling the SRAM flag in the iNES header I have been able to save in every emulator that I have tested.   

Again, I apologize if this isn't the right place for posting this, or I am telling people what they already know.   I honestly couldn't find anything on the internet about this and I felt like I had a duty to tell Pennywise and aishsha that there is no need to hack traditional SRAM into the game because it already exists.  :)

So

Cool then. I have the game but never wanted to breal it apart not to destroy the case.