News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Ninja Rahoi Translation Released!  (Read 9497 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Ninja Rahoi Translation Released!
« on: June 27, 2014, 11:00:41 pm »

Update By: Pennywise

Today we are releasing a complete translation patch for the wacky Japanese RPG, Ninja Rahoi.

The translation was started by aishsha sometime in 2009 and he did most of the translation and hacking. Pennywise did all the final hacks and final draft of the script. We also had the help of several excellent translators who helped with us puns, obscure text and whatever else craziness the game threw at us. Those people are Ryusui, Eien ni Hen and harmony7. Without them, this translation would not be what it is now.

This is also more than a translation. It is also a localization. The game featured a plethora of jokes and puns based on Japanese history and pop culture of the time. Just doing a literal translation would have stripped the game of its humor. So the decision was made to replace all the jokes with Western equivalents while retaining the spirit of the original. This translation is a lot of fun to play just for the text, but also a lot of work went into it. The game does take place in Japan and no attempt has been made to remove that aspect. It is and will always be a wacky Japanese game.

Speaking of the game, it was made by the same folks who did Momotarou Densetsu, which was translated by KingMike a few years ago. Without having the played the game, there are probably similarities between the two. So if you liked that game, you'll probably like this one.

The game might be a DQ clone, but it is anything but generic. There are plenty of hilarious joke enemies and there is a Ninjutsu system that levels up through use in battle. The game does feature your old school grinding though.

Lastly, the game does not use the traditional SRAM for battery backed saving. Instead it uses an external add-on for the Famicom called the Turbo File. It was made by ASCII, the same company who published this game. So if you're playing on a flashcart, you won't be able to save unless you have Famicom and a Turbo File. We did not feel like hacking traditional SRAM into the game, but if someone would like to do that for us, we would graciously accept it. Otherwise, use your favorite emulator.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://yojimbo.eludevisibility.org/)

replicant1027

• "He say you Bwade Runna, Mr. Dekker"
    • View Profile
Re: Translations: Ninja Rahoi Translation Released!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 08:23:07 am »
RHDN Project Page Link?

patuli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 03:10:30 pm »
>>We did not feel like hacking traditional SRAM into the game.

Oh Well! the game sounded interesting what a shame.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 04:36:50 pm »
Because I do these translations for myself, it wasn't necessary for me to hack the SRAM. My NES is somewhere in the attic and I don't own a flashcart. Add to the fact this Turbo File thing was discovered late in the game, it was something I deemed not worth the effort.

Btw, there are still a few untranslated wacky NES RPG's left. Two come to mind in Hanjuku Hero and Adventures in the Otaku Galaxy. Both of these games will likely be future projects.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 12:20:47 am »
Would you want a copy of this cart? There was one at the Seattle Retro Games Expo CIB for $15. They also had Musashi Lord and Megami Tensei 2 (though that one was more expensive.) No Chaos World though :(

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 12:33:52 am »
aishsha owns the game and scanned the manual, which I'd like to get translated sometime in the future.

Musashi Lord sounds promising though. That is CIB as well? I already own MT2.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 12:44:02 am »
Wait, my bad, I just did a GIS - it's Musashi no Bouken, not Musashi Lord. Sorry :(

Does your Megami Tensei 2 have a weird snap-shut plastic case?

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 12:45:30 am »
Yeah, complete with a weird cart.

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 01:02:26 am »
Ah, it's been ages since ded302 suggested doing this one... Glad it's finally out :) Enormous thanks go to Pennywise and Eien who made a candy out of its script  :beer: :beer: :beer:

fireball

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 05:45:24 am »
Thanks for this, great work. And it would be really nice to have some kind person take on a sram hack.  ;)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 01:36:58 pm »
Yeah, complete with a weird cart.
The Famicom had many third-party designs. Awhile ago I had wrote up a page documenting licensed third-party FC cases.
The only kind I can immediately recall missing are a couple one-offs: Family BASIC and Karaoke Studio. But I those are now fetching collector prices.
Well, and one series of software by Konami (non-games like some chemical-safety training thing). No way I'm ever affording any of those. Those are INSANE collector fodder now.
I'll just spoiler to avoid derailing.
Spoiler:
Nintendo: standard, large (mostly MMC5 games)
Sunsoft: standard, Nantattee(? can never spell that right) Baseball (though no expansion carts)
Namco: early (usually black), late (blue, I think used for all games starting with Splatterhouse in 1989)
Taito: first (used with games through 1988), first design with fake battery cover (despite the "door" being on the back, it seems the battery is actually on the front of the PCB), second (first used with Akira in 1989, released in both, through #45 Flintstones in 1992), last (#46-48 Captain Saver, Bubble Bobble 2, Jetsons)
Jaleco: early (small, used through 1987?), later (big, all games 1988 and later?)
Bandai: standard, big (only for Family Trainer and Famicom Jump?)
Konami: early (with pre-1986 Konami logo molded on the back), standard (former Konami logo spot is a blank rectangle), big (only for VRC6 RPGs?)
IREM: earlier w/LED (only six games?), earlier without LED (used through #15 4WD Ultra Battle in 1989?), later (first used in #8 Guardic Gaiden in 1988?)

Is it just me or are the blue Namco carts as well as Bandai difficult to remove from the console (I have an official AV FC) without extreme force? :(
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

StreetTrash

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 04:34:56 pm »
 Wow, looks great! It's been so long, since I've had the time to play any new translations, over the past 2 an half years. Going to have a great vacation sitting down to play this.

It's good to see people are still toiling away on this older obscure rpg's. Perhaps it'll give me the motivation to try to finish working on Illusion City for the MCD, one of these days... Think my work on Rent a Hero has already been surpassed.
vive le zopharsdomaindonutparodiusthewhirlpoolrhdn~!

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 11:17:58 pm »
Thanks a lot for this translation! In case somebody want a little help with this game, here are some memory addresses to boost some of the characters' exp and gold. I've just find them using the built-in cheat searcher in virtuanes.

main char exp: addresses 6150, 6153 and 6156
dog char exp: addresses 6151, 6154 and 6157
akane char exp: addresses 6152, 6155 and 6158

gold: address 005b and 005c

Enjoy it!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:22:11 am by aqualung »

glown

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 10:23:40 pm »
pennywise i love you & thanks for keeping nes weirdness alive

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 10:58:20 pm »
Personally, I consider this to be one of the best translations I have ever done. Mostly I'm proud on how well we were able to replace all the puns and references. I really have to give Ryusui credit for helping to shape this thing. He was basically my crutch during my refinement process.

Also in the future, I will be releasing an English manual for this game. It's a nice 40 page, colored manual with over a 1/4 of the pages dedicated to a manga that appears to explain the game backstory. I thought that was pretty cool.

Also, I would love to release a comprehensive translation notes for this game. The only problem is I'm Japanese illiterate and I would need someone willing to spend the time with me to put this thing together. There's a lot of cool and weird Japanese shit in this game that I think would be really cool to read about for people interested in Japanese culture and language. So if any translator reading this would like to volunteer their services, please let me know.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 01:37:27 pm »
Excellent thread, and it's very cool to see the info on the various third-party carts. Congrats!
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 05:24:53 pm »
(SOLVED)

Hi. I'm about to complete this game, but I'm having troubles with a place I'm looking for while travelling by boat. Is there an overworld map somewhere I could use as a reference? Because it's exasperating to sail aimlessly through the map with such an INSANE encounter rate, looking for

Spoiler:
an island in which Master Rahoi is petrified (or at least that's where I think i need to go, I'm just after saving Tobimasa from the entrails of a whale and suddenly an enemy appears and steals all my scrolls. Then you go to skull village 3, defeat genbu who was disguised as Tobimasa and, after defeating him, a dog gives you the boat scroll).

Speaking about a map, this is the only thing I've found, not very useful so to speak: http://hit930.sakura.ne.jp/hitjapan/book7/P131115103.JPG

I've another doubt, by the way. If you're in the boat and then use a express spell and warp your party to a town, how can you later recover the boat? Because I don't see it waiting for you in the coastline near the city you've warped to (it's as if the boat remained in the place you were before warping). I've tried several times (luckily I had backup saves, just in case). Is it a game breaking bug?

PD: Ok, this last one is resolved. The boat itself gets teleported to boat town, so you only have to teleport there and, after exiting that town, the ship will be nearby.

Pd2: I've also found the solution for the other question. Where I had to go is a small island which is almost in the center of the map, sailing south from the place where you first find the boat (in the map I've provided, it's marked with the number 38). The problem is you have to use the waterwalk magic (you have to use it directly from the boat, which isn't very intuitive in my opinion) to be able to enter that island (after that a cutscene happens and you have to fight a boss). I leave this post here in case someone has the same problem.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 06:53:30 pm by aqualung »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 03:24:03 pm »
I've updated the patch, waiting for it to be approved. There were various typos in the last patch, which was more of a beta ROM than anything. Game should be almost perfect and comes highly recommended by me.

ermac

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2016, 02:54:50 am »
Forgive me for bumping a very old thread but I didn't know where else to post this. 

In the readme for this translation it mentions the lack of traditional on-cart SRAM saves.   It explains that to save your game you either need an obscure Japanese peripheral (ASCII Turbo File) that plugs into the expansion port on the Famicom or an emulator that supports it.   
However I noticed that when playing the untranslated Japanese version of Ninja Rahoi! in Nestopia it was in fact creating an SRAM savefile, while the translated version did not.     I got a little suspicious so I checked BootGod's website and, sure enough, Ninja Rahoi! does indeed have a CR2032 battery and internal SRAM.   It turns out the iNES header in both the latest GoodNES and no-intro sets do not have the battery SRAM flag set.   The internal and external Nestopia XML databases do have Ninja Rahoi! listed as having SRAM and since we know Nestopia overrides the header if the database has an entry for a given ROM, and since the translated ROM's hash would not be present in the XML database this explains why the translated game wouldn't save while the original Japanese version would .   After enabling the SRAM flag in the iNES header I have been able to save in every emulator that I have tested.   

Again, I apologize if this isn't the right place for posting this, or I am telling people what they already know.   I honestly couldn't find anything on the internet about this and I felt like I had a duty to tell Pennywise and aishsha that there is no need to hack traditional SRAM into the game because it already exists.  :)

So