News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner [PSP] - Script Translation  (Read 46967 times)

oneyedragon

• View Profile
Re: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner [PSP] - Script Translation
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2014, 03:09:03 pm »
So...Does anyone have any news about this wonderful project ?

yahawew

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2015, 07:37:04 am »
Any news about this project?  :angel:

cj iwakura

• The Rhythm Rogue
    • View Profile
    • iwakura.productions
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2015, 05:52:20 pm »
Esper's still working on it, but from what I know, the translator's been busy.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

sorgur

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2015, 10:11:38 am »
Can't wait!
I really hope it won't get cancelled...

cj iwakura

• The Rhythm Rogue
    • View Profile
    • iwakura.productions
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2015, 09:07:23 pm »
It won't be, but for all intents and purposes, the translator has vanished, and we need his help to match the extracted text to his translation.

RaidouJFlo

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2015, 06:46:19 pm »
Op is doing God's work. I hope this becomes a reality.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2015, 02:08:37 am »
Somebody asked me to lend a hand... Perhaps I can help match the text up? I wouldn't try to alter the translator's lines, out of respect for whatever work they've done. I'll just match them up, if that's all that's needed.

flynninfinite

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2015, 09:39:39 am »
^^^^^^^^^

He's Tom from Innocent Sin... Our salvation...
Please accept his help

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2015, 09:44:39 pm »
I took a look at the files.  :o

Unfortunately, looking at the scope of what's needed, I realize why the translator seems to have vanished. Matching THIS much text up to a separate script is madness. It is like trying to copy a telephone book by hand, except all but one digit of every phone number have been erased and it's up to you to fill in the missing numbers. You have to dial each possible variation of the number, see if the right person answers the phone, and if they do, only then can you proceed to the next number... Oh, and you're using a rotary phone, naturally.  :laugh:

Only about 1 percent of the script has been edited in. It would be easier to totally retranslate the game than do all of the cross-referencing needed here to get that text-translation. And what's more, things like the demon conversations have no translation at all. (Ugh, I remember all of the work that I put into Soul Hackers for these.) I never intended to translate Devil Summoner 1 myself. I said this before, when I worked on Soul Hackers. I figured that I could help, but this is beyond help.

The way I see it, there are three options:

1. Wait for the translator to make a glorious return. (Though knowing the amount of work that's cut out for him, I have my doubts.)

2. Find someone to just forget the direct-to-text translation and do the whole thing on their own. (It's a good chunk of work, but not impossible. I certainly don't want to translate it, though.)

3. Wait for an official translation of the PSP game (never going to happen) or a remake.

My suggestion is to tell the translator to forget about his original script and just translate directly from the text dumps. (I'm surprised the translator didn't do that from the start, to be honest.)

cj iwakura

• The Rhythm Rogue
    • View Profile
    • iwakura.productions
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2015, 08:11:36 pm »
I took a look at the files.  :o

Unfortunately, looking at the scope of what's needed, I realize why the translator seems to have vanished. Matching THIS much text up to a separate script is madness. It is like trying to copy a telephone book by hand, except all but one digit of every phone number have been erased and it's up to you to fill in the missing numbers. You have to dial each possible variation of the number, see if the right person answers the phone, and if they do, only then can you proceed to the next number... Oh, and you're using a rotary phone, naturally.  :laugh:

Only about 1 percent of the script has been edited in. It would be easier to totally retranslate the game than do all of the cross-referencing needed here to get that text-translation. And what's more, things like the demon conversations have no translation at all. (Ugh, I remember all of the work that I put into Soul Hackers for these.) I never intended to translate Devil Summoner 1 myself. I said this before, when I worked on Soul Hackers. I figured that I could help, but this is beyond help.

The way I see it, there are three options:

1. Wait for the translator to make a glorious return. (Though knowing the amount of work that's cut out for him, I have my doubts.)

2. Find someone to just forget the direct-to-text translation and do the whole thing on their own. (It's a good chunk of work, but not impossible. I certainly don't want to translate it, though.)

3. Wait for an official translation of the PSP game (never going to happen) or a remake.

My suggestion is to tell the translator to forget about his original script and just translate directly from the text dumps. (I'm surprised the translator didn't do that from the start, to be honest.)

The translation originated at smtg(4chan), and I'm not even sure there were text dumps to work from until Esper got it.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2015, 10:57:22 pm »
Of course it was done without dumps. Nobody would make something like that if dumps existed.  :) What I'm saying is, whoever translates the games is going to want to do it straight from the dump without using the text-translation. The text translation, in my opinion, is only useful to people who want to play the game in Japanese while referring to the text on the side.

Integrating the text is WAY more trouble than it's worth. If the project has been abandoned by the original translator from that website, your best bet is to find a dedicated translator who can do it from the ground up. I could do it myself, but there are other projects that I would prefer to focus on.

cj iwakura

• The Rhythm Rogue
    • View Profile
    • iwakura.productions
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2015, 10:59:41 pm »
Of course it was done without dumps. Nobody would make something like that if dumps existed.  :) What I'm saying is, whoever translates the games is going to want to do it straight from the dump without using the text-translation. The text translation, in my opinion, is only useful to people who want to play the game in Japanese while referring to the text on the side.

Integrating the text is WAY more trouble than it's worth. If the project has been abandoned by the original translator from that website, your best bet is to find a dedicated translator who can do it from the ground up. I could do it myself, but there are other projects that I would prefer to focus on.

I agree, and I also hope you get Soul Hackers done first. :P Devil Summoner has a fantastic plot, but actually playing it... blech. I have the Saturn version, and it is nothing short of sadistic. (Granted a lot of this is due to language barrier, but hey...)

Would I play a translated version if it were finished, though? Absolutely.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2015, 08:36:16 am »
I agree, and I also hope you get Soul Hackers done first. :P Devil Summoner has a fantastic plot, but actually playing it... blech. I have the Saturn version, and it is nothing short of sadistic. (Granted a lot of this is due to language barrier, but hey...)

My role with Soul Hackers, short of revisions, is already done. The only thing that I didn't translate is whatever text is contained in the Pocketstation application, and that's probably just ten words or so, stored graphically. Gemini never hacked that. If it is even possible, I don't know if anyone would ever see it, unless the Vita got hacked. (Man, I wish Atlus had released Soul Hackers on the PS1 Game Archive, so we could use the Pocketstation functionality!)

To be honest, I just wanted Soul Hackers done because it was a "lost" translation, but since there's an official translation available now, I don't care if my translation for it ever gets released. Of course, if Gemini wants to finish it himself or pass it along to another capable hacker, I will give them my support and participate in any revisions and testing, but I'm not actively pushing for it to be finished. On one hand, it's a shame for all of our work thus far to go to waste. On the other hand, it might be more of a shame to essentially waste even more time on it.

As far as the whole "Devil Summoner" story goes, I never even beat the Saturn version. (It was too much of a chore to play, and the script seemed so dull. I'm sure in its day it was really amazing, but I just can't get into it.) Soul Hackers was much more character-oriented and interesting in comparison... But hey, it's better than Ronde, right?  :thumbsup: To be honest, I never even played the PS2 Devil Summoner games, so I'm probably not the best "fan" to give a fan translation of Devil Summoner.

Now if someone wants to translate Last Bible 3, on the other hand...  :D

Oh, I almost forgot... I did translate part of Soul Hackers Intruder (the cell-phone exclusive sequel to Soul Hackers) on Youtube. You can check it out here, if you'd like. I was planning to translate more, but it seems that not too many people are interested in watching it. I don't want to translate it if barely anyone is even watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgJPH8Mol_c&list=PL9TKnIOsEtbqO1SvGWspha4cdKYF3HWup
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 10:02:23 am by Tommy »

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2015, 12:11:20 pm »
I would watch! :) I am very interested in the smt cell phone games like the alternate universe take on smt2 where it shows law having won.

cj iwakura

• The Rhythm Rogue
    • View Profile
    • iwakura.productions
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2015, 10:06:17 pm »
My role with Soul Hackers, short of revisions, is already done. The only thing that I didn't translate is whatever text is contained in the Pocketstation application, and that's probably just ten words or so, stored graphically. Gemini never hacked that. If it is even possible, I don't know if anyone would ever see it, unless the Vita got hacked. (Man, I wish Atlus had released Soul Hackers on the PS1 Game Archive, so we could use the Pocketstation functionality!)

To be honest, I just wanted Soul Hackers done because it was a "lost" translation, but since there's an official translation available now, I don't care if my translation for it ever gets released. Of course, if Gemini wants to finish it himself or pass it along to another capable hacker, I will give them my support and participate in any revisions and testing, but I'm not actively pushing for it to be finished. On one hand, it's a shame for all of our work thus far to go to waste. On the other hand, it might be more of a shame to essentially waste even more time on it.

As far as the whole "Devil Summoner" story goes, I never even beat the Saturn version. (It was too much of a chore to play, and the script seemed so dull. I'm sure in its day it was really amazing, but I just can't get into it.) Soul Hackers was much more character-oriented and interesting in comparison... But hey, it's better than Ronde, right?  :thumbsup: To be honest, I never even played the PS2 Devil Summoner games, so I'm probably not the best "fan" to give a fan translation of Devil Summoner.

Now if someone wants to translate Last Bible 3, on the other hand...  :D

Oh, I almost forgot... I did translate part of Soul Hackers Intruder (the cell-phone exclusive sequel to Soul Hackers) on Youtube. You can check it out here, if you'd like. I was planning to translate more, but it seems that not too many people are interested in watching it. I don't want to translate it if barely anyone is even watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgJPH8Mol_c&list=PL9TKnIOsEtbqO1SvGWspha4cdKYF3HWup

I would still very much play the console version of Soul Hackers, because that game deserves better than the garbage audio of the 3DS version, so I truly hope Gemini hasn't given up on it(he's claimed he hasn't, but who knows). Atlus USA did a phenomenal job, especially on the dub, but the hardware really isn't up to snuff. SH deserved a Vita port. Still, I'm ecstatic it came out in some form.

Devil Summoner has a really well thought out plot, it got an entire Ultimania(esque) guide put out to it. The plot of the character dying and his soul being slapped into Kyouji's body is brilliant, and it ties into Soul Hackers as well(along with Sid Davis' psycho self).

It's just that the dungeons are long and tedious, and the BGM isn't nearly as good as SH's(though it has its moments).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i-FNQU1F3U

(I still have no idea where that plays at, since I'm AT the university and never heard it...)

flynninfinite

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2015, 11:33:53 pm »
I would still very much play the console version of Soul Hackers, because that game deserves better than the garbage audio of the 3DS version, so I truly hope Gemini hasn't given up on it

Yeah...I am playing with the 3ds version right now. The voices' volume is really low and  gets easily obscured by the BGM... Also there are the untranslated parts...great job atlususa!

The PSX version is more similiar to the SAT's one. The atmosphere is more dark and grim...and it might just be the barrier with the language, but it also seems harder than the 3ds'one.

Anyway I highly doubt Gemini will take that project again since there is an official release.
Now he's working on Echo Night 2.

I can't get out of my head this battle OST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZv3hjJz4NI

cj iwakura

• The Rhythm Rogue
    • View Profile
    • iwakura.productions
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2015, 12:38:17 am »
Yeah...I am playing with the 3ds version right now. The voices' volume is really low and  gets easily obscured by the BGM... Also there are the untranslated parts...great job atlususa!

The PSX version is more similiar to the SAT's one. The atmosphere is more dark and grim...and it might just be the barrier with the language, but it also seems harder than the 3ds'one.

Anyway I highly doubt Gemini will take that project again since there is an official release.
Now he's working on Echo Night 2.

I can't get out of my head this battle OST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZv3hjJz4NI

He's said he still plans on doing it, but I assume the official release took the wind out of his sails.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2015, 02:26:36 am »
 I am sure the Devil Summoner plot gets good as you proceed, however I just can't force myself to keep playing. If only I had played it as a teenager, when I was stuck with a game and had no choice but to keep playing and learn to love it... The music is pretty good, but the Sega CD version of SMT was the best! I wish they made the music more like that in Devil Summoner on the Saturn. It is like the music took a step backwards from the Sega CD to the Saturn. :(

flynninfinite

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2015, 09:13:37 am »
I can't even find a japanese walkthrough of this game on YT
Only one channel with some battles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiu97Kgwe1k

July 05, 2015, 11:09:19 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO5VzgWIhNQ

Epic 90s mood
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 11:09:19 am by flynninfinite »

CornOnTheCob

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2015, 01:50:39 am »
Any official news on this? Like where its at in development? How long should we expect to wait for an release?