News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Playstation 2 game hacking  (Read 25417 times)

Dashman

• View Profile
Re: Playstation 2 game hacking
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 06:03:56 pm »
I have a question for a specific game, although maybe it's something that applies to many other games. The game is Gundam SEED Destiny: Rengou vs ZAFT II Plus. I opened the ELF file on MadEdit and found the text, so I tried translating a couple of names to see how it fared. Turns out *some* characters are displayed, but not all. In this picture you can see part of "RANDOM PILOT" under three of the character portraits:

where "RANDOM PILOT" was written using SJIS. I think the game allows you to input a custom name for a faceless soldier in Arcade, so I find it weird that, apparently, only a handful of characters are usable in this mode. Has anyone run into a similar problem before?

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 06:42:48 pm »
Find the graphic font file. It's likely some latin letters are missing.

creeperton

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 06:44:47 pm »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:40:52 am by creeperton »

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 06:46:04 pm »
https://owl.english.purdue.edu/engagement/2/1/34/

Cheers.

Heh. This is my favorite grammatical mistake, if only because the name is so much fun.

krat0s

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 07:14:55 pm »
https://owl.english.purdue.edu/engagement/2/1/34/

Cheers.
I just hate grammar.....

June 27, 2014, 07:17:19 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Heh. This is my favorite grammatical mistake, if only because the name is so much fun.
Not a native English speaker. Now you have something to remember. Bookmark this page because from the PS2 thread it will turn into comma thread  :(
Cheers.

June 27, 2014, 07:25:50 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I have a question for a specific game, although maybe it's something that applies to many other games. The game is Gundam SEED Destiny: Rengou vs ZAFT II Plus. I opened the ELF file on MadEdit and found the text, so I tried translating a couple of names to see how it fared. Turns out *some* characters are displayed, but not all. In this picture you can see part of "RANDOM PILOT" under three of the character portraits:

where "RANDOM PILOT" was written using SJIS. I think the game allows you to input a custom name for a faceless soldier in Arcade, so I find it weird that, apparently, only a handful of characters are usable in this mode. Has anyone run into a similar problem before?
This game definately has an English font. If you can extract the files, and look into munge files and extract it, you will make progress. Btw ,have you tried to type the sting in ASCII? Some Jap games automatically recognize the ASCII chars. The chars missing, are becuase the text pointers. Most likely the number of character is fixed, try replacing one char at a time.
Cheers.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 07:25:50 pm by krat0s »

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2014, 09:06:50 am »
Phantasy Star Generation 2 also had a latin font but some letters were still missing if I remember right, Tryphon will correct me if I'm wrong.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2014, 09:48:02 am »
I don't correct you :)

Most of the games implement only part of S-JIS encoding (which is huge) consisting in characters effectively used (I suppose it's automatic) and so they can forget some latin chars.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 09:55:58 am by tryphon »

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2014, 05:41:47 am »
Trying ASCII was the first thing I tested. It didn't work.

I think I found the reason for only some characters being displayed:

Apparently, the game has a list of defined characters for each section (some of them have the full latin alphabet), so that they only have the required characters available (this applies to some katakana as well in some places, like the character names section). I tried adding characters to the list, but it didn't work, so maybe some fonts are simply incomplete.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2014, 06:28:34 am »
What you have found is the encoding.

Now:

Find the graphic font file. It's likely some latin letters are missing.

Letters should appear in the same order than in the picture you showed. Then you'll replace letters in both the encoding and the graphic file.

The difficult task is to find the graphic file (you don't know where it is, and what its format is, and I'm afraid you're not skilled enough).

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2014, 06:54:47 am »
The difficult task is to find the graphic file (you don't know where it is, and what its format is, and I'm afraid you're not skilled enough).
Agreed, I'm a newbie romhacker after all. Given enough time maybe even I could pull this off though, I've barely invested a grand total of an hour in finding some strings, changing a couple of characters and testing results.

However, I won't be taking up this project, I just saw a thread about general ps2 hacking and felt the question could be relevant.