News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Is there a tool that can edit compressed Game Boy graphics?  (Read 2242 times)

MrFwibbles

• View Profile
I want to edit the title screen of Nangoku Shounen Papuwa-kun: Ganmadan no Yabou, but none of the tile editors that I've tried have been able to display it properly. I can find a small part of the logo where it says "GAME BOY" (but only the top half), although nothing else around it looks anything like the rest of the title screen. I'm not entirely sure if this is because of compression or not. I certainly can't find the ガンマ団の野望 part of the logo anywhere in the ROM. Does anyone know of any tools that could display (and edit) this in a clearer fashion, or have any other suggestions for me? Thanks.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a tool that can edit compressed Game Boy graphics?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 01:23:47 pm »
Game Boy graphics compression is usually game-specific, so unless someone has written one for this game (which I REALLY doubt), then no.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 03:36:47 pm »
You can try Lunar Compress, but that implies understanding the compression method for your needs. ;)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 11:09:01 pm »
I would do a compression bypass hack, which first requires you to reverse engineer the compression format and then to hack the code to allow for uncompressed graphics. It's generally an advanced hack, but not an impossible one and very doable in my opinion.

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 12:53:04 am »
Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 11:43:32 pm by FCandChill »

MrFwibbles

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 10:42:28 am »
I would do a compression bypass hack, which first requires you to reverse engineer the compression format and then to hack the code to allow for uncompressed graphics. It's generally an advanced hack, but not an impossible one and very doable in my opinion.
This is a good idea, but it's definitely something that's beyond my skills. I might post in the Help Wanted section in a few days/weeks when the title screen is the only thing left to do.

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 01:42:32 pm »
Games that compress generally compress more than one thing.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 02:14:23 pm »
Depending upon the type of compression there is also the cheating bastard approach to dodging it when hacking.

If the compression format has an uncompressed marker (or in some cases could just put one lot of [string]) then make the uncompressed version and then insert the uncompressed marker however many bytes apart it is for that format.

Sure finding the call for the compressed read* and then changing it to a direct read/dma/whatever is the better method by far, as is making your own recompression tool, but there are times when playing the cowboy works just fine. Granted on older systems that is not as common as the likes of the GBA or something where higher level compression formats were more of an option.

*Sometimes you get lucky and there is a table/flag that says what things are compressed or some kind of autodetection, twiddle the table/flag or nerf the detection and you are good to go.