News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Question reguarding translating  (Read 2198 times)

Hitaku

• View Profile
Question reguarding translating
« on: May 20, 2014, 07:43:04 pm »
I'm extremely inexperienced with anything involving rom hacking but I figured this would be a good place for me to start.  I plan to read up on all of the suggested material, but first I wanted to ask the community a simple question.  Breath of Fire 4 is my favorite video game of all time.  I'm well aware that there is an official English translation of the game out, however I was contemplating the difficulty of translating the Japanese version to regain some removed scenes.  My question in short is this, would it be at all possible to export files from the English version of the game into the Japanese one?  I understand that I would need to translate all of the scenes that they didn't include in the English edition, but I was hoping I could find a shortcut within this.  Perhaps I'm way off in thinking this, but again, I figured such a question would be perfect for the newcomers board.  Thanks in advance to anyone willing to lend me some information on the matter.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Question reguarding translating
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 08:58:45 pm »
Script porting/backporting has happened a few times over the course of ROM hacking's history, indeed aiming for an uncensored/complete work is usually the driving reason for doing such a hack. The biggest technical* issue that takes proper time, effort and skills to sort are when the English script/font/text engine has additional options for letters with tails, variable width fonts, a different encoding and so forth that you might need to work around -- it is not all that common in translated games (though the PS1 was the start of things changing here) and amusingly most people translating from Japanese to something else will tend to want to add this but it does happen.

Otherwise yeah it is usually just standard script extraction, editing and insertion. I guess you might have to tweak the Japanese font a bit if it does not have a good Roman character set but that is usually quite doable.

*the biggest non technical issue is making sure the story, terms and tone all match up.

Edit. Forgot to say this was mainly looking at different regions on the same system, one system to another (even something as otherwise closely related as the GBA and DS) has frequently been seen to cause all sorts of traumas.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 09:10:27 pm by FAST6191 »

Hitaku

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 09:22:43 pm »
Alright, good to hear.  Both version of the game are made on the Ps1 so I shouldn't have any issues with that.  Knowing that I may have a decent shortcut ahead of me gives me a little more hope.  Time to hit the books I suppose.  Thank you for taking the time to help.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 10:45:36 pm »
Getting into PSX hacking can probably be a difficult proposition for beginners to this hobby. First thing you need to know is Playstation games use a file system. So you'd need to break apart the ISO and find which files contain the text. However, it's possible the text might be compressed, in which case extraction becomes more difficult/work. It's also possible the game uses uncompressed S-JIS, which would be a blessing for you due to its simplicity.

Another possibility is finding someone who might be interested in helping you or already has the tools to help. It's possible someone may have translated the game into another language or is working on one. Given the popularity of the series, it might not be a stretch. Hah, CUE did a translation of BoF4 into Spanish. Speaking from experience, CUE's a great guy and really good at romhacking.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1508/

Speaking as a fan of the series, I can see the value in restoring the lost content. I believe there was some racy content they removed featuring some kind of hot springs IIRC. Going even further, I'd love to see just how good the translation is and along with restoring the content, improve the translation where possible.

CUE

• View Profile
    • Nasío pa'jakear
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 03:02:29 am »
No, you can't replace files and expect everything to work properly. As FAST6191 said before, the occidental version has variable font width, different character encoding, ...,  so replacing files is useless, you need to modify the game code

As Pennywise said too, is not an ideal work for beginners :(

Hitaku

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 06:33:03 am »
No, you can't replace files and expect everything to work properly. As FAST6191 said before, the occidental version has variable font width, different character encoding, ...,  so replacing files is useless, you need to modify the game code

As Pennywise said too, is not an ideal work for beginners :(

Though I feared as much, I'm  still very sad to hear this.  I've been worried about exactly how difficult this would be for a little while now.  The thought of swapping files around was honestly what gave me a little boost to move forward with it.  Breath of Fire 4, beyond being an amazing game, was released at an important time in my life.  As silly as it may sound, it helped me get through some things that I would have otherwise had a very hard time with.  Due to this, I've often thought about attempting a translation project for the last several years. Though the additional content in the original version was small, I thought the game deserved a complete English version.  Either way, I think that from the sounds of it all I may have found myself in over my head.  I do appreciate you guys taking the time to chat with me about it all.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 06:50:45 am by Hitaku »