News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Metroid Blast  (Read 16531 times)

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
Metroid Blast
« on: May 01, 2014, 11:59:03 pm »
Hello. This is our first attempt at doing a Metroid hack and we thought about implementing one with a Blaster Master theme. When pacnsacdave released his Dark Alliance hack for Blaster Master I figured why not do a hack for Metroid with the the Blaster Master theme? We teamed up and I bounced some ideas off him for graphics and other things and we came up with some neat concepts. Here are some screenshots of the graphics that have been done and the title screen. We still need to do the level designs yet but we wanted to iron out everything graphically before we take the next step forward which will be very very soon.

Also like to give credit to the authors of MDbTroid and Roidz' for using their doors, animated lava, and new Samus design. Also another thanks to Snarfblam for his auto-saving and wavy ice patch he released plus Editroid which is also making this project move forward greatly!

The story of this is that it takes place years after the events of Blaster Master and remnants of the space pirates are conducting weapons research and experimentation on what remained after Jason's events of the Blaster Master game. What horrors and grotesque things are happening on the world of Sophia the 3rd and what are the Space Pirates up to here? As Samus you must investigate and eliminate any threats in which you may discover on this strange far away world.....

*NOTE*
Also we are in need of somebody who is able to change the music in the game! If anybody is knowledgeable in this area we would welcome a great addition such as this to our hack! I took a crack at it and did not get too far :P

5/3/2014

We added new looking doors for each level here. We took them from Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, and made one out of the face of the guardian to get into level 2 in Blaster Master. We thought it would be a welcoming change instead of seeing the same looking door over and over again. Also we added a special playable character for those who beat the game in a fast enough time :)

Also does anybody know how to alter the enemy AI, speed or even add the feature for enemies to fire projectiles?

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 03:31:13 pm by mrrichard999 »

Farlight

• View Profile
Re: Metroid Blast
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 12:08:34 pm »
This looks really promising! ;D   

Blaster  Master was not only my first NES title but remains my all time favorite on that console. Using it as a basis for a Metroid project is a great idea as they are similar styles but I've always felt  SunSoft had an superior engine.

I've been playing the Dark Alliance hack (thanks pacnsacdave and others :thumbsup:)and  beenenjoying it very much!

Definitely be following this project.   Best of luck! ;)

nandobyker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 11:41:10 pm »
i did not like any nes metroid hacks as now,  but this one looks diferent,i am a blaster master fan  and i would really like to see this finished  :thumbsup:

mrrichard999

• View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 01:13:55 am »
Its going to take a while to do. Going to make each room its own unique one instead of a lot of similar ones and they will have challenges added too. I am really hoping to get a response to the music help add I posted recently. It wouldn't be right with the same music in the game. Right now I am wrapping up the Tourian section of the game. Also hoping to get someone who can alter the ASM in the game to make the enemies do different things also. Will see what happens over time. This project will take some time to do.

nandobyker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 01:23:06 am »
i have play a few metroid hacks, and all of them have the original music of the game, i wonder if is posible to change the music, that would be great

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 10:23:11 am »
i have play a few metroid hacks, and all of them have the original music of the game, i wonder if is posible to change the music, that would be great
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/842/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsQNRQ9NXJw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKGDjgedkEA

nandobyker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 10:52:30 am »
Really nice  , i wish to help if someone teach me how to do it  ;D
i could get all blaster master games music and convert on nes classic music

mrrichard999

• View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 02:49:52 pm »

joshebosh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 11:27:26 am »
was going to attempt to help with music, but 6502 assembly is bit to steep for now...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 01:51:01 pm by joshebosh »

mrrichard999

• View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 03:27:34 pm »
:(

It does look challenging unfortunately.

Got some progress to report, got 95% of Tourian done and 40% of Brinstar done. Working out all the platforms & tiles for the rest of the game to give it a more Blaster Master feel. Here are a few screenshots for Kraids lair, nothing super huge but its a start :)

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 04:57:04 am by mrrichard999 »

mrrichard999

• View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 01:37:27 pm »
Also here are a few more pictures for Brinstar, this is the forest portion of it. This part of the map will have other rooms and the most variety of all the sections of the game when all done.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 03:33:30 pm »
Aw man, this hack looks great  :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing, and looking forward to more info in the future!

mrrichard999

• View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 04:37:48 pm »
Was thinking about why there were only polyp shooters on floors and figured why can't they be put on the walls? Did some graphical work with flipping the sprite sides around and used Editroid for enemy placement and this worked out great! They fire out of both sides from the walls without any need for ASM works :D

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 07:43:08 pm »
Hey MrRichard, there's a new doorless scroll transition technique that's being used in Metroid - Rogue Dawn.  I posted a basic tutorial at Metroid Construction to explain how it works.  You might want to give it a look over and see if it'll be useful for your level designs.  I believe all you'll have to do is create the proper structures since you should already have the hex modifications already done to your base rom since you used "Metroid Mother" as a foundation to start.

mrrichard999

• View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 11:22:03 pm »
I'll have to check that out, thanks for the heads up :)

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 04:37:13 am »
I might be able to help out with the new music, depending upon how soon it has to happen.

Is the use of Metroid Tuner required, or can I just use good old fashioned hex editing?

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 03:08:28 am »
I might be able to help out with the new music, depending upon how soon it has to happen.

Is the use of Metroid Tuner required, or can I just use good old fashioned hex editing?

I've been working with the Metroid Tuner app pretty extensively recently for my own hack.  I haven't attempted Hex editing music into rooms but from what I know of it Metroid Tuner is by far a preferred method for ease of editing, modifying, and basically just saving you time.  I wrote up a tutorial on using guitar tablature as an input source.  You can find it here:

http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,3255.0.html

I have a few tunes I started for him since no one else other than Snarfblam and myself seem to know how to use the editor (it's not that hard to use).  I also have some unpolished examples you can try out and play around with in the editor.  I have a thread started for sharing works in progress at the same forum, you can find them there.  Right now I'm pretty well tied up with my own Metroid hack "Rogue Dawn" but if no one ends up lending him a hand I plan on following through with the help.  You have some impressive music editing experience on your belt so I would certainly be happy for him if you were available to lend a hand.  I can certainly lend a hand and share any knowledge I have of the editor and available memory you can play with in the Metroid engine.  Also you have Snarfblam who frequents both this site and Metroid Construction.

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2014, 12:22:12 pm »
I've got a NES rendition of Super Metroid's (green/pink) Brinstar Theme I've been wanting to use for something.....  :)

mrrichard999

• View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 11:55:12 am »

Thanks for replying :) I think Grimlock has most of it covered right now but you wouldn't know anything about upgrading the sound engine in the game would you? I know infidelity recently did something like this with his new Legend of Zelda hack where he used the Capcom sound engine.

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2014, 06:01:48 am »
Thanks for replying :) I think Grimlock has most of it covered right now but you wouldn't know anything about upgrading the sound engine in the game would you?

As a matter of fact, yes! Donner Party uses a modified Zelda 1 music engine, which I transplanted rabidly after coming to terms with the Stack-raping atrocity Bandai squelched out.

As for Zelda 1 itself, I've added (1) selective repeat functionality to both Pulse channels + Noise (the original game only had it for Triangle), (2) Timbre/Volume hotkeys to allow for more precise control of such, (3) "soft" rests, allowing for note carryovers between song parts, (4) JUMP commands, breaking the hell out of that 256-byte song data limit, and (5) expanded the rhythm offset arrays by a factor of four.