News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Martian Successor Nadesico Sega Saturn Dating Sim (Solved)  (Read 17280 times)

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
Re: Martian Successor Nadesico Sega Saturn Dating Sim (Help Needed)
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2014, 02:37:19 pm »
Good!
Maybe you could change the title of the thread to remove the "help needed" part? ;)

Bob Liu

• View Profile
Re: Martian Successor Nadesico Sega Saturn Dating Sim
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2014, 04:01:04 pm »
thats awesome news, i always dreamed of having a few import rpg's translated for the sega saturn, dating sims are not for me but thats just me, keep up the good work.

Dating sims aren't my thing either, im just interested since it's a game of an anime that I liked.

Good!
Maybe you could change the title of the thread to remove the "help needed" part? ;)

Yea don't worry.

VicVergil

• View Profile
Re: Martian Successor Nadesico Sega Saturn Dating Sim (Solved)
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2014, 09:18:21 am »
Well, you found the text and you could change it and make the game load after that.
But the real problem here would be that:
1) the font is too big: too few characters per line
2) the English text will be longer than the Japanese text

First problem requires studying ASM for Saturn (after beginning on easier systems like SNES)
Second problem is solved by learning about pointers

Aaand here you have it.
Good luck on your DS game, releasing that one would be a very good start.

Bob Liu

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2014, 10:32:39 am »
Yea I noticed the text is sort of spacious, don't know if I can do anything about that. I'll also learn about pointers when I start to work on it, will need to extend the text.

CyberWarriorX

• View Profile
    • CyberWarriorX.com
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2014, 11:23:36 am »
If you're lucky it's drawing the text via the VDP1. If that's the case it's usually just a matter of having a width table for VWF and then changing the sprite commands to use the new size. It gets more complicated if they're tiles using VDP2. Also how many data tracks does the game have? If it's only one it should be pretty simple to rebuild the disc.

As for the differing text length, you'll also have to be mindful of the ram usage. Fortunately the Saturn does have 2 MB, however it's split into two and who knows what else is being stored and how close it is to the text. You could probably help yourself out by doing some assembly hacks to change the text format from 2 bytes to 1.

As an aside, Saturn's SH2 assembly is pretty easy to learn. Especially if you already have a background in assembly. The only nuance that seems to throw people I've talked to off is the way word/long sized immediates are treated. Or rather the fact that it doesn't really have immediates beyond byte size. Hacks relating to some of the other parts of the hardware may be tricky depending on what's needed.

Bob Liu

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2014, 04:16:33 pm »
My head hurts, I doubt I'll be able to understand assembly language but as you said it helps to have a background in assembly.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2014, 02:23:00 am »
My head hurts, I doubt I'll be able to understand assembly language but as you said it helps to have a background in assembly.
I think you were already able to figure out how to use a hex editor and see and edit the Japanese text.
Just carry on.

Bob Liu

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2014, 10:28:29 am »
Maybe eventually but not at the moment, just wondering. If you edit the spaces through assembly hacking would that just move all the games text closer or would it mess up a translation if I did it in the middle of one.

Scio

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2014, 07:27:28 pm »
It's better to take care of the font issue before you reinsert the text. If you don't care for the font, then just go for it.

Bob Liu

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2014, 10:21:12 am »
Yea, I don't really mind as long as it's readable.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2014, 08:26:03 pm »
Not really an issue of "do you care how good it looks".
You CAN'T fit in the English translation with that character per line limit.
It could work with platformer/simple games (and even the only game I know of, Ackman, that didn't care for that limit, had to butcher and abridge the translation horribly to make it fit at all).
Could be more difficult in RPGs, which have more text (and even then, they add lots of new text boxes to compensate).

But text-heavy dating sims/visual novels?
That's where it's a deal breaker.

Bob Liu

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2014, 10:22:41 am »
Yea that's going to be a problem, when I get the text translated I'll see what I can fit in or reword it so it makes sense but I don't really know.