News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Martian Successor Nadesico Sega Saturn Dating Sim (Solved)  (Read 18250 times)

Bob Liu

• View Profile
Martian Successor Nadesico Sega Saturn Dating Sim (Solved)
« on: April 26, 2014, 06:13:51 pm »
I really need help here, could you guys help me find the hex's. I know this isn't a topic people want to see but just trust me for a moment, I just need someone to find me an offset or some of the hex's of the games text because from that I'll be able to gather the rest of them and be able to implement the translation. Im having trouble trying to find out any of the hex's so I need your help, I want to translate this game and yes it's another anime based one. It's a dating sim and I know translating it will take forever but im really dedicated and will finish it even it it takes over a year. Please help me out, you can get the game here.
LINK REMOVED

I'll owe you a favor or something, here are some pics from the game. I tried searching for the R&D text but got over 11,000 thousand results, scary stuff.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 04:01:43 pm by Bob Liu »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: Martian Successor Nadesico Sega Saturn Dating Sim (Help Needed)
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 08:00:11 pm »
Bob, no one's going to help you. Unfortunately you're kinda standing in front of a void and no one can help you cross it. Either you give up, or you slowly cross it. That's generally how it works. It's very important that you understand how a system works and learning how to use a debugger is paramount to hacking success.

furrykef

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 08:03:45 pm »
Also, never ever post download links to commercial games. Didn't you read the rules??

Scio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 08:06:02 pm »
Are you really sure you want to try to translate this? VNs (Visual Novels) have tons of text. TONS.

Bob Liu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 10:35:47 am »
Crap, forgot not to post links. Sorry about that guys, yea I know the big void of debuggers and the like is holding me back from doing it myself.

Are you really sure you want to try to translate this? VNs (Visual Novels) have tons of text. TONS.

I know full well how much there would be and the answer is yes, I do want to translate this game. I just need some help to start off and then I'll be working away, would anyone be willing to help me out. You guys know more about this stuff than me and hopefully it wouldn't take long for someone to find me an offset of text in the game, that's all im asking for.

Here is a video I took a week ago showing how I go about implementing a translation using hex workshop. My translator gives me the characters and I then find the hex for them in my document, gather enough of them and then do a search to find the offset. I just need to build the table for this game and then I'll be set, I know someone here can help me out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNTfvxBds7E

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 02:56:04 pm »
Why do you think you didn't get the help you needed for Dracula X? The reason is kinda the same for this game.

Bob Liu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 04:18:08 pm »
Well it doesn't hurt to try, anyhow could you help me out. I don't really like asking random people to help but I don't really have a choice, im not going to do something like this forever as all im asking is an offset of a piece of text because that's all I need. I need to know where in the game it is so I can change the hex's and figure out the rest of them from that, I hope this isn't much to ask of someone. It's not like im asking you to translate the game or anything, you guys know what your doing and it shouldn't take long to find something. Pretty please with cherry's on top.

Isao Kronos

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 07:17:17 pm »
You're still asking people to do the work for you.
will hackrom for Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits

Bob Liu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 10:25:39 am »
Yea but what is that to the total work needed for the translation, I know im asking someone to do this for me but it's not really that much to ask. I only need an offset from an early piece of text in the game, that's all. I will then use that to gather the hex's and implement a translation because when I have all the hex's I can find the rest of the text in the game but searching for the characters hex's. Do I really have to beg because I really want to translate this game.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 05:25:32 pm »
You're begging for help on a system not a lot of people hack. Your approach and the obscurity of the system is not going to work for you. Based on your posts, it still doesn't look like you have much of an idea what you're doing in general or any kind of universal knowledge. The best way you can help yourself is to read plenty of documents on romhacking.

Bob Liu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 10:27:28 am »
Well do any of you guys know how to do what im asking, I probably should have asked that first and yes I don't have much knowledge on these subjects. That's really the reason why I asked.

Edit
I checked some of the other Saturn emulators out and noticed they have debuggers, I could probably put that to use if I knew what I was looking at. I know im probably bothering you guys but could you help me out with this, I know we can make progress with this so just trust me on this one. The emulator with debugger im looking at is Yabause, it has alot of different options in the debugger section.

Also noticed that the Sega Saturn's text uses 4 digits rather than 2 like the Game Gear and Game Boy.
7E87 = Z
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:53:12 am by Bob Liu »

MrBing

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 12:41:47 pm »
OK stop for a second. See that list? THAT is the reason you're not getting much help. The Saturn was probably the most complex console ever designed... it takes as much power to emulate as a PS2.

There are people who have translated games for the Saturn. They understand it and probably want to translate the game also, so get in touch with them.

Also if you want to pester people to help you get something done bit by bit, chat rooms are the place to do that. Not forums.

Bob Liu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 12:50:56 pm »
I have already e-mailed everyone I could find, I don't even know if they'll respond but hopefully. I seriously doubt they want to translate this game also, does anyone here know what to do with the debugger as im sure someone here must know and should be able to help me.

Calindro

• View Profile
    • Emulicious
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 01:05:32 pm »
Well do any of you guys know how to do what im asking, I probably should have asked that first and yes I don't have much knowledge on these subjects. That's really the reason why I asked.

Edit
I checked some of the other Saturn emulators out and noticed they have debuggers, I could probably put that to use if I knew what I was looking at. I know im probably bothering you guys but could you help me out with this, I know we can make progress with this so just trust me on this one. The emulator with debugger im looking at is Yabause, it has alot of different options in the debugger section.

Also noticed that the Sega Saturn's text uses 4 digits rather than 2 like the Game Gear and Game Boy.
7E87 = Z
I know almost nothing about the console but I'd guess M68K, SCU-DSP and SCSP are responsible for sound, VDP1 and VDP2 are the video processing units and Master SH2 and Slave SH2 are the main processors that will execute the game code and should at some point load the text data from ROM to the VDPs.

Bob Liu

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 04:18:12 pm »
Thanks, that at least gives me a view on what each one does. Im still confused on how to compute this though, the debugger should give me a hint I think when I jump text screen. Any help on this guys.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 04:38:10 pm »
I know almost nothing about the console but I'd guess M68K, SCU-DSP and SCSP are responsible for sound, VDP1 and VDP2 are the video processing units and Master SH2 and Slave SH2 are the main processors that will execute the game code and should at some point load the text data from ROM to the VDPs.

Very true: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Saturn#Development

Bob: any "long" Japanese extract from the game that you could post here? (Don't get your hopes up - I'm just asking for the sake of your topic.)

Also this is a CD-based console; I assume you are looking inside the CD's file structure, not in the ISO directly? What are the files and what do you suppose they contain?

Bob Liu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 05:41:16 pm »
Well I looked in both the iso and the individual files but honestly I don't have a clue what im looking at unless I have the hex's. Most of the files are AC2, KCT, SIN and stuff like that. I don't have a clue on what's inside each of them but I should be able to tell which file the games text is stored in when im able to search for it.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 10:00:50 pm »
Do you know what ASCII or SJIS are?

Bob Liu

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 10:27:27 am »
Do you know what ASCII or SJIS are?

If im sure it's the hex numbers for the Japanese and English alphabets, you didn't have to ask that.