News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Ouya emulation quality?  (Read 18738 times)

MrBing

• View Profile
Re: Ouya emulation quality?
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2014, 03:14:10 pm »
That's actually an interesting idea. The GBA emulator Gameboid uses a dynamic ARM recompiler that allows it to run well on very slow CPUs. I can underclock my phone's CPU from 1GHz to 368MHz and most games can run with minimal frameskip: Bumping up to 576MHz handles anything I've thrown at it. Contrast to GBA.emu that requires me to overclock to 1.4GHz to accomplish the same thing.

Check this out:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_1204_armfeb&num=3

Because emulation is mostly CPU driven and serial, the 7-Zip performance is the most relevant benchmark. Core 2 Duos above 2.5ghz handle most PS2 games no problem w/PCSX2 dynamic recompilation. Based on these tests, the Tegra 3 can certainly keep up with the C2D. Regardless, PS2s aren't exactly expensive or hard to come by, and the titles are available in the store, so...

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2014, 04:48:16 pm »
Tegra 3 has 4 cores, and that makes up for the sheer work per clockcycle difference between it and the Core 2 Duo... In this one test. For most things? No. Emulation especially.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

MrBing

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2014, 05:45:03 pm »
Tegra 3 has 4 cores, and that makes up for the sheer work per clockcycle difference between it and the Core 2 Duo... In this one test. For most things? No. Emulation especially.

Stats?

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2014, 05:52:39 pm »
Now I'm curious to see if PS2 emulation is possible after this discussion.  :D  All would really want are translated games to run ... and Final Fantasy XII International as well.   

Sliver X

• EX•CINERIBVS•IGNIS•EXCITABITVR
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2014, 08:43:53 pm »
Stats?

Straight from the horse's mouth.

While your insistence on this being doable now is adorable, it helps to have an understanding of computer architecture and the fundamentals of what emulation is before you start claiming certain things are possible.

Also, I tried running SMSADV (A GBA Game Gear emulator) under Gameboid but the actual emulator didn't run. My Boy! (The free version) runs it really well even underclocking my phone 50%, and has turned out to be the best Game Gear solution I've found on Android. Whether this is awesome or sad is up for debate.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 09:02:06 pm by Sliver X »

MrBing

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2014, 03:28:25 am »
Well if it can't handle PS2, it must not be able to handle PSP either, because on my 1.8ghz C2D both experience slowdown.

Sliver X

• EX•CINERIBVS•IGNIS•EXCITABITVR
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 04:39:21 pm »
The PSP is a far simpler machine to emulate in comparison to the PS2, for one thing.

Hell, even native games for it weren't allowed to directly address the hardware, so an emulator basically just needs to do HLE of the PSP's APIs to work properly.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2014, 09:01:52 pm »
Yeah, you can't really compare a PS2 and PSP. the PSP could handle PS2 ports but only if they were simple games to begin with or if they were cutdown(In some cases, both).

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 11:21:40 pm »
I'm revisiting this topic because our new living room TV has no S-Video or even 240p support.  So even with a component cable the SNES, GameCube, or etc will NOT run.  I'm finding this is now common of brand new name brand HDTVs.  This screws me because I use S-Video and component almost exclusively for every system older than the 360/PS3 (minus the obvious). 

So let's reopen this topic.  My PC I have currently on the TV takes up WAY too much space.  To those who have an Ouya or have used one how is audio emulation?  Are there sync issues?  Is PSX emulation playable at full speed and quality audio?

TheCape

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2014, 11:29:36 am »
I know there have been new Ouya type systems that have come out that have shown superior quality. I myself managed to set up my MacBook with great emulation (and it even does Wii and GC with Dolphin) with no delay. I can then HDMI export the signal to my TV with no issues either.

Why not just use your PC or laptop?

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2014, 07:50:27 pm »
I know there have been new Ouya type systems that have come out that have shown superior quality. Why not just use your PC or laptop?

What other systems are out that are superior as you mentioned?  Also my PC is super massive and takes up too much space to be permanently affixed to the TV.  My notebooks are old (Dell D620 for both), so running emulators will not be as good as you might think. 

patuli

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2014, 11:17:37 pm »
I use one of this for on the go gaming jxd s7800b and runs everything flawless up to ps1, the dreamcast games lag, but i already have two dreamcast one with usb gd rom controller and one with gdemu, so I don't care.
Some people say the nvidia shield is even better, but for me the price is to much.
As for gaming center and media center, i used to have a dell laptop with and i3 processor connected to the pc, before i realize that you can just connect a portable hd to the HD cable box and use it as media center.

TheCape

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2014, 10:41:36 am »
What other systems are out that are superior as you mentioned?  Also my PC is super massive and takes up too much space to be permanently affixed to the TV.  My notebooks are old (Dell D620 for both), so running emulators will not be as good as you might think.

I have heard good things about the JXD s602 and Raspberry Pi.

Been looking at Gamestick as well: https://gamestick.tv/

Tablets are a decent mobile option and I know that some (Surface Pro) can be set up with a TV using an adaptor.

FireTV has been coming out as a possible good option as well.

I personally use my MacBook Pro which works just fine and emulators with seemingly no delay.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2014, 10:42:28 am »
Rasberry Pi can't even run NES games without frame skipping now and then.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2014, 12:19:43 pm »
I have heard good things about the JXD s602 and Raspberry Pi.

Been looking at Gamestick as well: https://gamestick.tv/

Tablets are a decent mobile option and I know that some (Surface Pro) can be set up with a TV using an adaptor.

FireTV has been coming out as a possible good option as well.

I personally use my MacBook Pro which works just fine and emulators with seemingly no delay.

Thank you for posting but I'm not interested in any mobile devices or getting a laptop (or a Surface).  I was hoping there was other console alternatives to the Ouya mainly rather than use my massive PC rig. 

I use one of this for on the go gaming jxd s7800b and runs everything flawless up to ps1, the dreamcast games lag, but i already have two dreamcast one with usb gd rom controller and one with gdemu, so I don't care.
Some people say the nvidia shield is even better, but for me the price is to much.
As for gaming center and media center, i used to have a dell laptop with and i3 processor connected to the pc, before i realize that you can just connect a portable hd to the HD cable box and use it as media center.

I know some notebooks can have decent stats for low-level emulation pre-PSX generation but I don't want to just have a notebook that can only be used for this purpose.  If I have any sort of computer connected to the TV I'd just rather it be my full rig so I can the least run PC games as well.  If I go with an Ouya or another console so I can move the PC upstairs to the office.  :)

TheUnderfaker

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2014, 09:39:42 pm »
I was hoping there was other console alternatives to the Ouya mainly rather than use my massive PC rig.

Modded Xbox with emu's? (the first one).

TheCape

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2014, 10:31:18 am »
You could get a Wii fairly cheap on craigslist and mod it to run emulators. That is not a bad way to go.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2014, 06:36:49 am »
If you want to run emulation on your TV without hooking up your TV, it IS the best way to go. Most android emus aren't nearly as developed as the ports on the Wii, with a few exceptions(ePSXe and FPSE are likely better than the piece of shit PS1 emulator the Wii has. In addition, MasterGear and iNES are pretty decent).

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2014, 03:44:58 pm »
Thanks all for the ideas!  How is the PS1 & TG16 emulation on the original XBOX?  I've got two original XBOX units so I can have one modded.  I've grown to dislike the Wii so it's been disconnected and put back in its original box. 

As for the rest of the systems I like I bought a RetroN5 for Xmas.  So far it runs flawlessly and I'm able to do stuff like this:

http://youtu.be/6COKS657n_4

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2014, 04:51:42 pm »
Personally I would mod both xboxes as it does gain a bit. Do also grab/make some component cables as the emulators will be able to make use of such things.

The PS1, somewhat of a faff but most PS1 emulation is. At the time it was somewhat compared to the PC but at the same time ePSXE was taking a bit of a break and PSX/PSXemulator had not quite risen up. Better than the N64 but that is not saying much either.
Certainly do not expect to rock up with an old PS1 disc and pop it in, however you could do quite a bit of damage to the PS1 library with one.

PCE/TG16 via MednafenX-PCE was still being updated as late as 2010 and is pretty solid, Hu-Go! also probably warrants at least a passing nod. Not sure what PCE-cd ended up like as I never had much cause to investigate it, though others say it is worth the time. Equally Rondo of Blood has PSP version these days as well, as do many classic PCE-cd/supercd games.